Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...OapuJdkXSwHWK1yfIEeA400tyWHMQS9A4R6AQjmU

The makers of Smithfield Ham, an icon on America's culinary scene for decades, are selling the publicly traded company to China's Shuanghui International Holdings Limited for about $4.72 billion in cash. The deal also includes an exchange of debt.

The purchase values Smithfield Foods at $7.1 billion — a figure that would make the purchase "the largest Chinese takeover of a U.S. company," according to Bloomberg News.

In addition to Smithfield, the company's brands include Armour, Eckrich, Gwaltney, Kretschmar, and others. The company's roots stretch back to 1936, when the Luter family opened a packing plant in Virginia.

Terms of the purchase value Smithfield's stock at $34 a share — a premium of more than 30 percent over the company's closing share price yesterday. The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the sale, says the company's shares rose sharply before the markets opened Wednesday.

The deal will require approval from U.S. regulators before it is final.

"This is a great transaction for all Smithfield stakeholders, as well as for American farmers and U.S. agriculture," Smithfield president and CEO Larry Pope said. "We have established Smithfield as the world's leading and most trusted vertically integrated pork processor and hog producer, and are excited that Shuanghui recognizes our best-in-class operations, our outstanding food safety practices and our 46,000 hard-working and dedicated employees."

Shuanghui International is the majority owner of Henan Shuanghui Investment & Development Co. — "China's largest meat processing enterprise and China's largest publicly traded meat products company as measured by market capitalization," according to a news release.

"China is the world's biggest producer and consumer of pork and the third-largest market for U.S. pork," Reuters reports. "In recent months, a series of food safety scandals have dented consumer confidence."

Smithfield's headquarters will remain in Virginia, according to a press release announcing the deal this morning. The companies also said that Shuangui will not close any Smithfield facilities, and will leave all employee agreements — and the existing management team — in place.

The purchase would further solidify an economic relationship between China and Virginia that has been growing. The state has sent several trade missions to Asia in recent years, helping China become what Gov. Bob McDonnell calls "far and away our largest trading partner," as member station WAMU recently reported.

McDonnell made that comment earlier this month, when he announced Virginia's $638 million of agricultural exports to China in 2012. Pork and poultry placed third on the list of the state's exports; the top spot was taken by soybeans.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they need to put a moratorium on any US company being sold to those bastards until they figure out how to stop them from killing half the world

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2013 news. Has it been approved yet? grin

Originally Posted by joken2

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are already owned by the chinese. That article is from 2013.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...OapuJdkXSwHWK1yfIEeA400tyWHMQS9A4R6AQjmU

The makers of Smithfield Ham, an icon on America's culinary scene for decades, are selling the publicly traded company to China's Shuanghui International Holdings Limited for about $4.72 billion in cash. The deal also includes an exchange of debt.

The purchase values Smithfield Foods at $7.1 billion — a figure that would make the purchase "the largest Chinese takeover of a U.S. company," according to Bloomberg News.

In addition to Smithfield, the company's brands include Armour, Eckrich, Gwaltney, Kretschmar, and others. The company's roots stretch back to 1936, when the Luter family opened a packing plant in Virginia.

Terms of the purchase value Smithfield's stock at $34 a share — a premium of more than 30 percent over the company's closing share price yesterday. The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the sale, says the company's shares rose sharply before the markets opened Wednesday.

"This is a great transaction for all Smithfield stakeholders, as well as for American farmers and U.S. agriculture," Smithfield president and CEO Larry Pope said. "We have established Smithfield as the world's leading and most trusted vertically integrated pork processor and hog producer, and are excited that Shuanghui recognizes our best-in-class operations, our outstanding food safety practices and our 46,000 hard-working and dedicated employees."

Shuanghui International is the majority owner of Henan Shuanghui Investment & Development Co. — "China's largest meat processing enterprise and China's largest publicly traded meat products company as measured by market capitalization," according to a news release.

"China is the world's biggest producer and consumer of pork and the third-largest market for U.S. pork," Reuters reports. "In recent months, a series of food safety scandals have dented consumer confidence."

Smithfield's headquarters will remain in Virginia, according to a press release announcing the deal this morning. The companies also said that Shuangui will not close any Smithfield facilities, and will leave all employee agreements — and the existing management team — in place.

The purchase would further solidify an economic relationship between China and Virginia that has been growing. The state has sent several trade missions to Asia in recent years, helping China become what Gov. Bob McDonnell calls "far and away our largest trading partner," as member station WAMU recently reported.

McDonnell made that comment earlier this month, when he announced Virginia's $638 million of agricultural exports to China in 2012. Pork and poultry placed third on the list of the state's exports; the top spot was taken by soybeans.

This needs to be stopped. It's obvious the Chinese are trying to destroy American owned production of about anything we need in order to bring us to our knees.

Produce here.
Sell here.
Buy here.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t be f.ucking with the Vienna sausage production now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A ham too far

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone should shut this down ASAP.

J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oo-ops, my bad... blush

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought this was breaking news...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SCRUBS
They are already owned by the chinese. That article is from 2013.

Ship sailed, they can keep that lousy crap anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oo-ops, my bad... blush

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought this was breaking news...

I missed the article date, too.

Now I know what products not to buy. blush blush

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
amazon has free shipping

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Stay away from the frozen bat wings.

WBL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Living in Virginia, that's old news. Met Dale Luter when I was a kid. He was major investor in a nearby resort and his attorney was my uncle's business partner. Uncle rolled in in Luter's Ferrari 308gts circa Magnum P.I. time period.
Christopher Newport University is home to the Luter school of business too. I don't blame them for selling, I blame the Govt for allowing it to happen though. They were playing by the rules set by our so called "representatives"

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hopefully, with time, they will eventually fail and close all of their facilities...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At least we didn't give away the Panama Canal.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Will they sell canned bat?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EdM
Hopefully, with time, they will eventually fail and close all of their facilities...

You guys do realize that Smithfield employs Americans, many Americans?

Y’all do realize that ?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard the "new" Smithfield Ham is actually made from a dog's rear leg! grin

[Linked Image from cdn2-www.dogtime.com]

[Linked Image from abc.net.au]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Remember reading about this a few years back.

The purchase was to allow the Chinese Food Products Corp to funnel more American pork and food products into
China. They have been acquiring through Smithfield Foods several Pork and Food product producers from farm to packing as well over the last several years since the acquisition.

Hormel, Farmer John etc... and their related production commerce networks.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.