Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F

No end-of world virus stuff, nor gubmint takeover, nor Rothschilds assuming full control of world economic order this time - just car help.

Note: I can't put this in the 'Trucks 'n 4-wheel Drives" forum, 'cause this vehicle is neither wink. With that technicality out of the way, here's what's up:

* 2005 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0 OHV Flex-Fuel "Vulcan" Engine
* Just under 180K miles
* Owned by kid #N, who's 5 hours away (I'm tryna help him remotely)

Car has begun to stall occasionally when first placed into Reverse, or Drive. He's learned to feather the accelerator to keep it going if he feels it starting to crap-out. Once it gets going, however, it runs fine, accelerating well, holding constant speeds either on streets or the interstate. He's gotten no CEL. An auto parts store just ran some tests, and found no codes, a good battery (12,5V), and a properly functioning alternator.

He reports that it idles well if left in Park. When the AC compressor engages, the engine surges somewhat (as expected), but that it quickly settles back into a regular idle.

Maintenance has been regular and competent. Repairs have been done as needed. The current state of the mechanicals:

* Motorcraft plugs, installed at 110K
* Autolite wires at 140K (damned squirrels)
* Motorcraft coil, 165K
* Alternator replaced 120K
* IAC replaced 150K
* Intake Manifold Runner Control gasket replace 115K
* MAF sensor cleaned 6 mos. ago, when air filter was replaced
* Throttle body cleaned at same time
* Fuel filter replaced at 110K
* AC compressor replaced (the 2nd replacement mad) at 155K

Some ideas I've had:

1) Vacuum leak. Hey, it's a Taurus, right? They're [intercoursing] born with vacuum leaks.

2) IAC. Again, it's a Taurus. One can either buy more Motorcraft IAC's and get maybe 30 to 50K out of 'em, or buy another brand that won't work right out of the box. It's a damned racket.

3) Electrical fault/short. Yup, it's still a Taurus. Perhaps it's a rusty spot at a ground, or a pinched wire somewhere that shorts as the car moves and the engine shifts. When his 1st AC compressor went, the clutch was trashed & kept tripping a fuse that also controlled the Keep-Alive Memory. He could replace the fuse, & the car would run well so long as the AC compressor wasn't activated. As soon as it was, though, the fuse would blow, & it would idle like [excrement], and usually stall.

4) Worn Spark Plugs. I believe we put in Double-Platinum plugs at 110K, that are purported to be good for the 100k the service manual spec's. Then again, when we removed the original plugs (color coded with paint dots) at 110K, they were worn to the point where we were amazed that the car still ran, and that the CEL wasn't lit up. Could it be that they're worn again after nearly 70K miles, and the big gaps are forcing the ignition system to suck-up hella power to make a spark that'll jump those Rosie O'Donnell gaps?

The kicker is that he's looking to sell the thing in the near future, and wants to put no $ into it, if possible. If #4 above were the case, theoretically he could pull the plugs, smash the straps back down toward the center electrode to the spec'd gap, and be out nothing more than the amount of skin he left under the hood trying to reach those [maternal fornicating] rear bank plugs.

What sayeth the peanut gallery?

- Are we barking up the wrong tree?
- Are we [urinating] up the wrong rope?
- Are we pounding sand down the wrong hole?

Let's see if our collective brain trust can figure this out.

Thanks in advance,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Fuel pump. That’s what it was when two of my Ford pickups of approximately the same vintage started doing the same thing.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by TheKid
Fuel pump. That’s what it was when two of my Ford pickups of approximately the same vintage started doing the same thing.

Yikes. Those aren't free, are they. frown

FC

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No but not too bad. Last one I had done was under $200. Depending on where the tank is he might be able to peel the carpet up in the trunk and sawzall a hatch in the floor to change it without dropping the tank. Not sure about a car but it works on Broncos.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Loose gas cap?

I'm not kidding.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Maybe he could get lucky, & it's just a wonky relay. I'll have him thump it with a screwdriver, or perhaps swap it with a different one.

Hey, it's cheap, it's easy, & it just might work. Kinda like me... laugh

FC

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Has the crankshaft position sensor been checked ?
They can cause problems like you are describing and not set fault codes.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dump in 2 cans of sea foam into the gas tank.Might get lucky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IAC can cause problems and not set codes. And sometimes put one in and a second one to get a good one.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You're probably dealing with an intermittent OPEN circuit, not a short. Shorts blow fuses. Opens are caused by dirty, loose connectors or wires with broken or corroded strands inside the insulation . With the engine idling in park and the parking brake set, grab any wire harnesses you can reach and do a "wiggle test"- - - -shaking and pulling on the harness like happens when the car is put into gear and the engine torques on its mounts. When you find the one with the loose connection, the engine will stall. Find and fix the bad connection or broken wire that's reacting to torque. Fords are notorious for getting bad connections and the wiggle test is the first thing they recommend in factory service manuals. I've been finding electrical problems other mechanics have given up on since the early 1960's and this is a test I use a lot. Good luck!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We need some of the drill bit Mensa club to migrate over help FC out. That’s an untapped brain trust.

Sorry I’m no help, that’s newer than anything I drive.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There are a ton of " could be's " in this case. If its possible find someone with a scan tool that knows how to use it and try to capture whats data is dropping out when it stalls. Does it do it cold and hot? Some of the "could be's " could be EGR, TPS ? Good luck.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Those platinum plugs were discouraged by ford guys i know. They said buy the cheapo motorcraft or off brand. Said you get issues like that.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Has fuel filter been mentioned? In my 89 was easy to get to

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes......reconnect and try again.

May not work, but a cheap try.

Has worked on other cars with similar symptoms. Fine in park and neutral, bad in drive.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Call that outfit in the TV ads who bring you a new car on a flatbed and haul your old one off. You don't even have to leave your self-quarantine.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best option is to cut your losses and buy a Toyota.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My guess would be the TPS.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
You're probably dealing with an intermittent OPEN circuit, not a short. Shorts blow fuses. Opens are caused by dirty, loose connectors or wires with broken or corroded strands inside the insulation . With the engine idling in park and the parking brake set, grab any wire harnesses you can reach and do a "wiggle test"- - - -shaking and pulling on the harness like happens when the car is put into gear and the engine torques on its mounts. When you find the one with the loose connection, the engine will stall. Find and fix the bad connection or broken wire that's reacting to torque. Fords are notorious for getting bad connections and the wiggle test is the first thing they recommend in factory service manuals. I've been finding electrical problems other mechanics have given up on since the early 1960's and this is a test I use a lot. Good luck!
Jerry

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This here's your huckleberry, most likely !

My .02, as a garage owner.

Definitely not vacuum leak - added air after MAF, engine would idle higher & never completely settle to normal.

Fuel makes absolutely no sense either.

By the way, our shop has never changed a fuel pump in a ford truck. Fuel module driver always.

Possible mass air flow sensor, if you can trace to this, by cleaning thus eliminating problem, buy NEW, bitches to clean & maintain (cleaning is ever only a temporary solution).

Clean & reinstall throttle plate/body.

Not IAC either

Damned fords hardly ever set a check engine light !!!

Good luck FC !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by coobie
Dump in 2 cans of sea foam into the gas tank.Might get lucky

1 can per tankful of gas. Seafoam can cause more harm than good if overdosed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.