Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I currently have both, a welded Gregor and a riveted Lowe. The Gregor is my first welded boat but I don’t think I’ll be buying any more riveted stuff after this. I don’t ever want to worry about bucking rivers and resealing a leaky boat every spring anymore.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
All welded al the way. A buddy and I were in the bay floundering in the early1990s and a storm came in that was not supose to.It went from flat calm to 4 to 5 ft waves in 20 min our 25 min run turned into 4 1/2 hrs back to the ramp.The bow was caved in almost 7 inches all the way across and I dont think a rivit boat would have stayed together much less afloat through the beating we took that night. I took it to the guy that built it and thanked him for the solid boat and 2 weeks later it was home with 3 extra braces in the bow from the floor to the deck and its still kicken.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a number of aluminum boats. All but one are riveted. Dating from the late 40's to 2017, I have had good service from all, but also take good care of them. For my applications, which is mostly east of the Mississippi and both fresh and salt water, riveted works fine. If I had my 'druthers, I suppose I'd take welded, but could happily survive with just the riveted.

That said, if you are dealing with big water and where hulls get pounded, the welded will hold together longer. That's not my situation though, for the most part.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
welded all the way [Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]

No, it is not mine. Just a random sample from Craigslist. I'll have one in a year or two. Possibly sooner if this recession forces people to sell toys cheap enough.

What is the cage around the back of the cockpit for?

That is a jet, it has a v8 under the rear deck. The rail is for safety running rapids

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Welded over rivets ..
Glued is best..
I had a duraboat that had no rivets or welds...it never leaked a drop...wish they made bigger boats..

Had one of them too, 15 footer. Good boat, but not as heavy duty as most any welded job, pretty thin material. Mine was beat to piss as the first owner left it at the dock through storms not tied well and it showed. Didn't leak tho.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Welded heavy gauge... forever boats

This.^^^
I can't believe we agree on this.
Do I know you? grin

Mr. stevenson at the moment you would probably be wise to distance yourself from me.... make up a disagreement call me names and you will be in good standing... smile

Oh balderdash!
Are these jerks picking on you? Send them a fart bomb in the mail. That’ll fix ‘em!

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by mirage243
Not even a question, welded only. Rivets get loose and leak. This is what I've done for 30 years, I know.

Am I correct in that G3 welds the flat bottoms, and rivets the V-hulls? If so do you know why?

Any experience with the G3 flat bottom or bay boats on big water and/or chop?

Any flat bottom boat is going to beat the hell out of you and out of the boat in chop. Even a 10 degree deadrise hull built for white water rivers will be harsh on a lake or salt hitting waves. That is what the deep V is for. It cuts through the wave instead of bouncing off the top.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not even a question, welded only. Rivets get loose and leak. This is what I've done for 30 years, I know.

Am I correct in that G3 welds the flat bottoms, and rivets the V-hulls? If so do you know why?

Any flat bottom boat is going to beat the hell out of you and out of the boat in chop. Even a 10 degree deadrise hull built for white water rivers will be harsh on a lake or salt hitting waves. That is what the deep V is for. It cuts through the wave instead of bouncing off the top.

All true, a deep vee will require more horsepower and be less stable at rest, but cuts the waves better. A 10degree v is a nice compromise for lakes. Offshore you want an 18 degree plus vee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A buddy in high-school had his grandfathers from the 1960's 13' Gregor we used to go everywhere in.

Thing was an indestructible aluminum beast.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

This. The end.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My choice. Alumaweld was mentioned earlier. They are an OK boat but I am not a fan of their box beam hull construction.

http://wooldridgeboats.com/

Last edited by Lennie; 04/02/20.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
A lot of people dismiss the welded jet boats out of hand. They think fuel consumption and price to be prohibitive. And they are pretty much correct on fuel consumption. The one I happened to pick for the pic has a Ford 351 under the hood. My Son in Law recently purchased a 24 foot Weldcraft with a 460 Ford in it. And yes, any time you run a big V-8 at 4000 RPM and at 3/4 WOT for a couple hours you are going to pay for it at the gas pump. That is why they usually come with 40 to 100 gallons of fuel capacity on board.

But like all boats, they depreciate pretty rapidly. There are bunch of 1980s built hulls out there with low hour power plants and new looking interiors for dirt cheap. The 20 ft NWjet pictured has 300 hours on the engine and is offered for $17K. The kids' 24 foot Weldcraft came in under $30K with two hours on a brand new engine. And they often have heat in the cab.

If you have a bunch of kids who want to ski or swim off the boat, a jet is the absolute safest boat in the water for that.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I did not realize riveted hulls were still being built. Everything around here is welded.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welded boats can be far lighter and that can be important running real small water. Sticking a thick bottom welded boat can turn an easy job into a nightmare. I have both and have dealt with both a lot. The thin bottom riveted boats will do just fine for many years. Other than serious stuff in skinny water the welded boat is the better choice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Currently on my 5th Lund over the last 35 years! Never have had one leak at the rivets, only with an old rubber hull plug. Plenty of rough water, never babied, never worn out... just ready for a change or bigger boat. If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

BTW, how often do you guys have to anneal those welded boats? Will the "candle method" work and do you have to launch and immerse when done???

All kidding aside, I have seen plenty of custom welded boats pushed to the limits in arctic AK w/o failure. With that said, I prefer holes and rivets rather than joined "seams" w/ the potential for a change in metallurgy. Just me... to each his own.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

All true, a deep vee will require more horsepower and be less stable at rest, but cuts the waves better. A 10degree v is a nice compromise for lakes. Offshore you want an 18 degree plus vee

grin I knew we could find something to agree on.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What about a flat like this with a 15 deg deadrise? G3 Bay Boat Or is this not really considered a flat bottom?

Last edited by johnw; 04/02/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

My G3 is the Bay 18 DLX. Of course it’s aluminum, but I wouldn’t call it a flat bottom and definitely not a deep V. My boat sees a lot of chop, and it certainly is rougher than a heavy fiberglass deep-v, but with the boat trimmed right and keeping the speed reasonable it does just fine. But I’m 33. I might think differently if I was a little older.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What about a flat like this with a 15 deg deadrise? Or is this not really considered a flat bottom?

River boats have a 10 degree or less V...... 15 degree is relatively steep, definitely a lake boat, that would even function a medium to big lake

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My boat is a 35x23x16 , the 16 is the final deadrise... it's considered an ocean boat

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.