Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Saw one in LGS. SN G96508, looks new. Walnut and blue w/ iron sights. Black Decelerator pad.
All you guys saying how much you enjoy your 375’s got me interested in this one.

What would you say this is worth?

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
850-1250 depending on condition....with the proviso that I have not seen a 375 with a serial number that low for sale for a while.

F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
With that SN, what year would that have been built?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I will buy it if you pass. Please let me know.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned three of the Pre 64 375's and one thing I can say is they have all been very, very accurate. Overlapping holes in the target at 100 is very common with these but the recoil can be brutal- which is why I don't own any of them any more....

If you can handle the recoil, probably one of the best elk and big bear guns ever built and a perfect rifle for Africa...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fenton
With that SN, what year would that have been built?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've owned three of the Pre 64 375's and one thing I can say is they have all been very, very accurate. Overlapping holes in the target at 100 is very common with these but the recoil can be brutal- which is why I don't own any of them any more....

If you can handle the recoil, probably one of the best elk and big bear guns ever built and a perfect rifle for Africa...

Bob

Ive owned a couple myself and i agree about the recoil. A lot of guys say its just a gentle pish back, but that wasn't my experience. Id much rather shoot my lightweight 338wm. As for the rifle in the op, i think its easily worth $1,100.00+/- $100

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recoil is stout but certainly tolerable if you have the right stock.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would jump on that especially if it was a LH rifle. 1994 is well before the New Haven plant went to a double shift and then shut down. My rifle is of that era and had a barrel so far out of alignment that I ran out of scope adjustments before I was on paper. Lee Haskins at the custom shop made it right and I think they used a custom shop barrel as the rifle is more accurate than I can shoot. Recoil with the Express does not seem too bad to me, but I shoot mostly 250-260 grain bullets so might think otherwise if I used 300-350s a lot. I think either D'Arcy Echols or Bill Miller designed the stock, not sure which.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Bob

Sheister, It’s good to see you back on the “fire”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb

Bob

Sheister, It’s good to see you back on the “fire”! memtb

Thanks, Might say I'm "sticking my toe in the water".... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

The water is as toxic as it ever was! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve owned 2 classics and a CZ550 in 375 H&H. I’d rather shoot a 375 than any 300WM or a lightweight 300WSM for that matter. The CZ’s were nice rifles, but an absolute tank with a 25” barrel. The classic can be a nice rifle, but need gone through IMO. They pair extremely well with the Micky Supergrade stocks.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
So TomM1,
What would need to be addressed in your opinion when you say “need gone through”?

Thanks to you and the others who have contributed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb

The water is as toxic as it ever was! memtb

Yeah, but now some of us are confined to our houses. Sheister is probably one of them. The other day, we were shut down for working in Portland.
So TomM1,
What would need to be addressed in your opinion when you say “need gone through”?

Im not tom, but that rifle is going to need a good glass bedding job, trigger is going to need to be tuned/lightened. Thats about the only thing an early classic is going to need.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So TomM1,

Feeding and extraction, plus trigger job. A good smith will tune the extractor, polish rails and ramp, play with mag spring, box and follower until it feeds and extracts everything from pointy tip stuff to round noses.

Last edited by TomM1; 04/05/20.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have never owned a Classic Model 70 that needed any of that mentioned to kill big game perfectly dead every fall. They all feed and extract slick as snot having never had the extractor rails ramp mag box spring follower or bedding for that matter ever touched.

99 times out of 100 the only thing they "need" is a stone to the trigger down to about 3 pounds.

This is in "Hunting Rifles" right?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.