Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Check also for a cracked stock behind the recoil lug. I had two of these rifles many years ago and both had cracks.

HR IC

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello, I would like to thank you all for the many responses and the warm welcome to the forums.
The end of the Mark V story is that sadly the seller did not respond to my email about taking it out of the stock to check for "salt wood".
Now I don't want to assume ill intent on his part - on some rifles I don't like taking them out of the stock myself - but the risk wasn't worth getting in a fight with another bidder over.
For now I'm going to postpone the .300 Weatherby to a point in time when I'll be able to feed it better. Might also look for one with nice wood on it then.
But by then I'll know what to look for. And I now know what a Canjar trigger is.

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I was born in Wurzburg in 1963, so welcome!

What a coincedence! Würzburg is only about 50 miles from where I live.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a mark v deluxe in 300 weatherby. I found it too much gun for me in my whitetail hunting. I still own it but I use a 270 or 7mm08 these days.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Hello, I would like to thank you all for the many responses and the warm welcome to the forums.
The end of the Mark V story is that sadly the seller did not respond to my email about taking it out of the stock to check for "salt wood".
Now I don't want to assume ill intent on his part - on some rifles I don't like taking them out of the stock myself - but the risk wasn't worth getting in a fight with another bidder over.
For now I'm going to postpone the .300 Weatherby to a point in time when I'll be able to feed it better. Might also look for one with nice wood on it then.
But by then I'll know what to look for. And I now know what a Canjar trigger is.

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I was born in Wurzburg in 1963, so welcome!

What a coincedence! Würzburg is only about 50 miles from where I live.

We returned to the United States about six months after I was born so of course I have no memory of it. If you get by that way and happen to take a few pictures I’d love to see them.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Notwithstanding your ability to travel to other hunting destinations, the 300 Wby is one of those chamberings that can go anywhere and get anything done around the globe. 150 gr - 250 gr loads covers a lot of ground.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Boomer454, guten morgen. Interesting 300 Weatherby. I find it very interesting that it has EAW swing-off mounts, although I know those are very common in Germany. Interesting because there is no need to remove the scope since the rifle does not have iron sights. I have no experience with a set trigger on a Weatherby so I cannot comment there. I had two 300 Weatherby's at one point, and sold both over time. The barrel length was the deciding factor for me. Weatherby's commonly had 24" #1 profile barrels (skinny), 26" #2 profile barrels, (thicker), and #3 profiles which I cannot remember the length. Mine were 24" #1s which were incredibly loud and painful to shoot. I feel a 300 Weatherby should have at least a 26" barrel otherwise all you have is an obnoxious 30-06 performance-wise that is expensive to shoot.
The slow barrel twist of the older models does limit their performance with heavier bullets. Just my opinion....

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Boomer454

Here's a picture:
[Linked Image from egun.de]

What do you think?

Welcome to the 'Fire'.

I want that WBY !

Welcome to the 'Fire'

I want the WBY !

Welcome to the 'Fire'

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 16 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.