Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love that MK II.

Were those factory 2”?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alan, NICE pic of that great Moose, don't know how you could sell that one after that hunt ! smile

I've heard many rave on the Bisley grip, my last BHK was a SS 4 5/8 44 mag, had pachmayr's worked fine, but mostly shot a mild load with Universal Clays, about 9 grains IIRC, with 240 cast. REALLY liked an OMBH in 41, had an aluminum frame, not too heavy loaded, with fluted cylinders. That would be awesome gun if you had that same aluminum frame, in a bisley style, flat top, SS, fluted......

Enjoy that new shorty. Deflave, I recall setting eyes on a 696 long ago, 3", SURE Seemed like a handy piece, seldom seen. I'm sure the Ruger does not disappoint.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by IMR4350
For me it is a Ruger New Model Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. It is built on the smaller Ruger frame which makes it lighter than the Super Black Hawks. It is the same size as the Colt single actions. It has that classic look and will do what ever I need a revolver to do.

I'll also give an honorable mention to my S&W M-13 which packs very nicely when spending a day in the woods.

I remember reading John Taffins articles about this subject and thoroughly agreed. My de-evolution of this process started with a Freedom Arms .454 then to a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt shooting heavy Buffalo Bore loads and has finally arrived at the .45 Colt New Vaquero. It's almost dainty compared to the two larger guns. A handload pushing the 270-SAA bullet at near 1000fps is enough to take down anything I'll encounter in the lower 48.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Skeeter Skelton was writing about the perfect trail gun before Taffin's packing pistol articles.

http://darkcanyon.net/What's%20The%20Best%20Trail%20Gun%20For%20You.htm

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by GSSP
My brand new Lipsey Exclusive Ruger Blackhawk Bisley with both 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders. I literally opened the box 5 minutes ago; first picture. Now, to figure out what to feed it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice purchase my friend. Very nice.

I fondled one in Grices gun shop in Pa. last year and nearly had them ship it here. Probably should have because I've not seen one here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What my outdoor situation is determines what I’m packing with me.

G20 in a Gunfighters Inc. chest rig has been my primary sidearm for hunting, hiking/camping. The GFI holster system is all day comfort with excellent access to the pistol. 10mm ain’t 44 mag, but still good medicine for pissed off fur.

The Ruger LCR 38 +P was a freak purchase I made looking for a ultra-light packing gun primarily as a spring-summer snake gun.
It’s no Ruger SP101, but for its price point and excellent accuracy out of the box with everything I’ve fed it. It’s an excellent revolver that I’d recommend anyone try out. Especially, now that it comes in 357 mag.

My Ruger Redhawk 44 mag is a beautiful beast to my eyes.
Stoked with hard hitting Buff solids. It would probably do just fine in turning a black bear away from thinking me or the wife are good eats.
I need to shoot it more to become proficient with it like my Glock 20.

I’m well covered for a woods handgun with these 3. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a traditional revolver I would pick a Smith & Wesson Mountain Gun 44 Magnum.

In the non-traditional category I would take a Glock 20 in the SF frame and with the trigger guard undercut and rounded up.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sarge,
Agreement on the S&W Mtn Gun. I owned an earlier version. It came to me lightly used with a very nice trigger job.

I was young and a financial crisis caused me to have to trip it.

It was a helluva lot easier to run on target then my Redhawk.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SargeMO

In the non-traditional category I would take a Glock 20 in the SF frame and with the trigger guard undercut and rounded up.

Just to be contrary, I'll agree on the platforms but insert .45lc and acp.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NH K9

Just to be contrary, I'll agree on the platforms but insert .45lc and acp.

George

Nothing contrary about that George. I've run both your mentioned cartridges for decades and killed a lot of stuff with both. I could just as easy get along with the 45 LC/ACP Redhawk, as any of them.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I do enjoy my 10mm, but the P220SAO that i shoot it in, to me, doesn’t fit into the ‘packin’ pistol’ category.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hard to beat either of those! Especially in Bear Country.

If I’m not in Bear Country, my Glock 32 in .357 Sig suffices pretty well too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My old Ruger 44.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by HawkCreek
Originally Posted by IMR4350
For me it is a Ruger New Model Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. It is built on the smaller Ruger frame which makes it lighter than the Super Black Hawks. It is the same size as the Colt single actions. It has that classic look and will do what ever I need a revolver to do.

I'll also give an honorable mention to my S&W M-13 which packs very nicely when spending a day in the woods.

I remember reading John Taffins articles about this subject and thoroughly agreed. My de-evolution of this process started with a Freedom Arms .454 then to a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt shooting heavy Buffalo Bore loads and has finally arrived at the .45 Colt New Vaquero. It's almost dainty compared to the two larger guns. A handload pushing the 270-SAA bullet at near 1000fps is enough to take down anything I'll encounter in the lower 48.

I remember those articles too. Back then one of the things to do was to take those smaller framed FlatTops in .357 and convert them to a .44 spl or .45. I always wanted one of those conversions but never got around to it.

Then one day Ruger introduced the New Vaquero. I think I waited 30 years for Ruger to make that revolver.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM
My old Ruger 44.

That's a nice one Ed. What load are you shooting now?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I love that MK II.

Were those factory 2”?

Yes sir, I think they called it 4” but that’s to the end of the bolt face. They originally came with the thumbrest grips that came on the slab sides. Super handy!! Everybody that shoots it loves it.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am really liking my Ruger GP-100 in 44 Sp. with 3" barrel. However, with grizzlies not far from my doorstep I do carry a M29 when in some areas. I had an acquaintance killed by a grizzly while dressing out a elk and we all remember the Wyoming guide who suffered the same fate under the same circumstances. Bear spray would be a good idea too.

We just had a guy attacked last week by a sow griz while out hiking in west central Montana. He had a gun (no idea what caliber) and was able to use it on her which drove her away. She was later killed by F&G. He did suffer a bite to his thigh though. That's 5 attacks in 6 months as far as I can remember.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in bear country i just have always packed a 4 inch barreled 44 mag.in a leather holster, sometimes bowhunting deer i pack a kel-tec 22 mag semi-auto pistol/30 shot clip.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
I love that MK II.

Were those factory 2”?

Yes sir, I think they called it 4” but that’s to the end of the bolt face. They originally came with the thumbrest grips that came on the slab sides. Super handy!! Everybody that shoots it loves it.

That's a fugkin' sweetheart. I will keep an eye out.

Love those faux ivories too.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I lived out in western MT. where sis does, I'd still be walking around with my 629 Classic. For as many references as I've seen here to packing a .44 Magnum something, I don't see any references to loading it down with .44 Specials. That Classic of mine was $400. in a pawn shop with one cylinder of magnums through it. Some woman had bought it new, shot it once and decided it was too much gun. Not knowing that she could have shot .44 Specials through it got me a heck of a deal.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,586
Posts18,473,403
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.