Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Lw308 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Just cruising this forum and seeing a lot of hype about the SWFA SS scopes. I have had the 3-15x42 FFP, 2 10x and 1 6x. These scope where super rugged and heavy built but I couldnt find any reason to keep any of them around for very long. Seems as my 3-15 would get very finicky at 12x and up, my 10x's had a blurry ring around the edge of the sight picture about 1/4", the 6x was the best one I had but was way too heavy for a 6x scope I thought. What am I missing?

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The “hype” isn’t based on their glass, it’s based on their rugged internals which are unmatched at their price range. Pretty simple really

100% Public land DIY!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The reputation is not in quality of glass but in the durability of the internal components and repeatability of adjustments. If a shooter is looking for those two things in a scope they offer great performance for the dollars invested.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can only comment on the 6x. Seems to work perfectly, but has several disadvantages as a hunting scope, for me anyway: reticle, form factor, and weight (for 6x). The form factor made me drop another scope that was otherwise totally satisfactory at about the same weight, a Tract 3-12. Tall turrets are a giant PITA in the woods and in treestands. I sold the Tract, but kept the SS because if its great utility as a range tool, but it doesn't have a pemanent home as yet. If I buy another SWFA, it'll likely be the 3-9, but even on sale that one's priced close enough to the SHV that I'd probably pop for that instead. 20oz or thereabouts is about my limit for a hunting scope. Lighter is better, as long as the reliability doesn't suffer.

You're not missing anything, you just have different needs and notions. Those who want or need to dial in the field are going to want turrets that make that easy, along with accurate adjustments. The rest of us don't want to tote the bulk for something we don't need.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by IZH27
The reputation is not in quality of glass but in the durability of the internal components and repeatability of adjustments. If a shooter is looking for those two things in a scope they offer great performance for the dollars invested.

This. I have the 3x15 as well. I have not bad any of the clarity issues that the op had either. The glass is pretty decent, and it's even better on the 3x9. It's nice to have a scope that stays zeroed, and returns to zero time after time after time. Love the ss dependability. Had my 3x15 since they came out, about 8 years give or take. Lots is rounds on it.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Lw308
Just cruising this forum and seeing a lot of hype about the SWFA SS scopes. I have had the 3-15x42 FFP, 2 10x and 1 6x. These scope where super rugged and heavy built but I couldnt find any reason to keep any of them around for very long. Seems as my 3-15 would get very finicky at 12x and up, my 10x's had a blurry ring around the edge of the sight picture about 1/4", the 6x was the best one I had but was way too heavy for a 6x scope I thought. What am I missing?

Sounds like you are a set it and forget it kinda guy that prefers stellar glass over functionality. Nothing wrong with that. The SWFA cult uses their scopes as affordable aiming devices that consistently track and hold zero.

A Leupold would probably serve you better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found the 20x SS scopes to be unusable, but that probably has more to do with my vision than glass quality. It seems to me the 16x and 20x scopes aren't very popular though, at least among this crowd. I swapped a 20x for a 10x, and I have no difficulty at all using that one. I think the image is pretty good, actually, and is very usable.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was told by a guy in Alaska everyone seems to hate that a 6x Milquad would track very well, hold zero and be tough as hell - all at a price about a zero less than some other names you typically by for such performance. So I bought one.

My 6x Milquad has tracked well, holds zero and seems to be tough as hell. All at that good price.

Wasn't hype anymore than saying "water is wet" only to find out that water, is in fact, wet.

Me

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Repeatable dialing, decent glass, a reticle that works when you don't have time to dial, and enough discounts to offset the weight and bulk - ten pounds off of my @ss would do me more utility than 10 oz off of the scope...

Turrets are big, but they repeat the input, and come back to zero - older eyes are finding the bigger dial becoming a plus.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teal
I was told by a guy in Alaska everyone seems to hate that a 6x Milquad would track very well, hold zero and be tough as hell - all at a price about a zero less than some other names you typically by for such performance. So I bought one.

My 6x Milquad has tracked well, holds zero and seems to be tough as hell. All at that good price.

Wasn't hype anymore than saying "water is wet" only to find out that water, is in fact, wet.

He convinced me of the same thing and I bought a 10x demo package that was also on sale for $250. They're a hell of a robust scope, but pretty damned heavy.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn

He convinced me of the same thing and I bought a 10x demo package that was also on sale for $250. They're a hell of a robust scope, but pretty damned heavy.

I also have a Montucky in 7-08 due to the same influence - been absolutely everything I was promised there as well.

While the SS on the Montucky does feel out of place - overall - the rifle is still a joy to shoot. I'm thinking a lighter scope would be welcome but it's not necessary. I'll gladly put up with the robust and weight at this point over wondering if my scope is still working like it should. Too many people love the fact that certain brands have awesome CS and replace scopes on a revolving door basis.

IMO - the BEST customer service is the one you never need to use. That's just me. I'd rather just get a good product that holds up from day one rather than no hassle trade 4 to find one that works - for a while....

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ding! Ding! Ding!, we have a WINNER!!

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s not hype when it’s a fact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Funny when the whiners complained about Nightforce having substandard glass, but bulletproof internals.

Evidently now it's OK..... whistle

grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For guys who can't or don't want to hunt and need to shoot game from a half mile to be successful they're the cheapest scope that works.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
For guys who can't or don't want to hunt and need to shoot game from a half mile to be successful they're the cheapest scope that works.

Bought it to be able to shoot as far as I feel comfortable. Everything I've killed not called "paper" with it since I've owned it; less than 70 yards.

It's possible to put holes in paper at long distance for fun - and still use said rifle at predominantly muzzleloader distances. Why the SS checks so many boxes for me.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think the hype matches, I am 2 out of 4 that have exhibited reticle shift and or clicks that don't match what the actual reticle travel is. The 3x9 and the 10x were spot on. IMO the 3-15 is sadly their least offering. reticle tuff to see on low power and glass that has trouble keeping up with the reticle in low light.

The 3x9 is honestly their best scope IMO, for a guy that isn't obsessed about low light performance on the lowest power, I think its a great scope.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The hype is that you get a solid and serviceable LR scope with lots of erector travel for $299.00.

Probably the best out there for that price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All this and a 243 AI that I've owned a few times before deciding to keep and shoot the snot out of.

Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn

I also have a Montucky in 7-08 due to the same influence - been absolutely everything I was promised there as well.

While the SS on the Montucky does feel out of place - overall - the rifle is still a joy to shoot. I'm thinking a lighter scope would be welcome but it's not necessary. I'll gladly put up with the robust and weight at this point over wondering if my scope is still working like it should. Too many people love the fact that certain brands have awesome CS and replace scopes on a revolving door basis.

IMO - the BEST customer service is the one you never need to use. That's just me. I'd rather just get a good product that holds up from day one rather than no hassle trade 4 to find one that works - for a while....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You get a durable, reliably tracking s ole with good/very good glass quality that delivers overall performance way above the price tag.

The trade offs are the s opts run a bit heavy and have large knobs.

I love mine for shooting paper, a job where the extra weight and bulk is a non issue.

Probably not my first choice as a hunting scope, but it would certainly deliver if pressed in to service for a hunting role.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,789
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.