GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by WAM
Last time I looked at their website the GD rifle bullets were designed for defense and law enforcement.

So what do you think that means?

Just quoted from Speer website:
“GOLD DOT RIFLE
Law enforcement professionals trust the Gold Dot® bullet design with their lives every day. Now we offer you the same performance in a new line of personal protection rifle bullets.”

It would lead me to believe that it is not a bullet intended for hunting, but who knows? Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would seem that a bullet that is good for personal protection would also be good for deer-sized game. It's puzzling to me why Speer would not promote them for both.

In fact I emailed Speer some time ago, asking about the 120 6.5 Gold Dot for hunting in a 6.5CM. The response was that the 140gr would be better as the 120 is designed for Grendel velocities. But the email included this statement: "These Gold Dot bullets do make an exceptioinal hunting bullet...."

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, I called Speer a few weeks ago when I started load development with the 123 gr. .311" Gold Dot to see what the minimum velocity was for reliable expansion. I had a fair load running 2200 fps, told him my plans for deer hunting, and he said that would expand fine on deer all the way to 125 yards but, at 150 expansion would be minimal.

Last edited by Joe; 04/09/20.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a bunch of them on super-sale at Midway. They are the 140, 6.5s. I killed a half dozen deer with them and never caught a bullet. I load them to 2740 in my Creed, as higher than that and they did not seem to shoot as well. They are bonded. It does not matter how they market them. I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with one. They shot sub-moa out to 400 on my range and I did not go out farther-didn't need to.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WAM

“GOLD DOT RIFLE
Law enforcement professionals trust the Gold Dot® bullet design with their lives every day. Now we offer you the same performance in a new line of personal protection rifle bullets.”

It would lead me to believe that it is not a bullet intended for hunting, but who knows? Happy Trails

What exactly is different about shooting one 200lb mammal from a different 200lb mammal?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WAM

“GOLD DOT RIFLE

What exactly is different about shooting one 200lb mammal from a different 200lb mammal?

I guess none. Just stating what Speer posts. Have it anyway you want it!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WAM
[quote=Formidilosus][quote=WAM]
I guess none. Just stating what Speer posts. Have it anyway you want it!

So why make a post about it, if you don’t actually know what it means?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The written word can be hard to understand the intention behind it. I’m not trying to be rude. I am genuinely curious to the thought process behind anyone offering a declarative opinion about a subject when they don’t actually understand that subject.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[...] What exactly is different about shooting one 200lb mammal from a different 200lb mammal?

Broadside shilouette?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The written word can be hard to understand the intention behind it. I’m not trying to be rude. I am genuinely curious to the thought process behind anyone offering a declarative opinion about a subject when they don’t actually understand that subject.

Number 1: I never offered a declarative opinion about the subject.
Number 2: I fully understand the subject. Just stating what the manufacturer published about his product.
Number 3: Maybe you don't understand the written word as well as you think you do.
Number 4: You may not have to try very hard to seem rude. I didn't take your post as being rude, just odd with lacking sentence structure.
Number 5: I am not so sure you know WTF you are talking about either.... Which different 200 lb mammals are you referring to? Humans or 200 pound plains game vs. deer? Have you ever shot a human being? If not, your comparison is moot.

Happy Trails,
WAM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WAM, you might want to withdraw that 5th point.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
WAM, you might want to withdraw that 5th point.

Well, I think it necessary to clarify his presumption. He either knows or he doesn't know. Happy Trails!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think what Gael is saying is, He knows....If you remain unsure, do a search on his posts and check his knowledge level on what he posts.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Precisely.

Are you and yours healthy, Sig?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WAM

Number 1: I never offered a declarative opinion about the subject.
Number 2: I fully understand the subject. Just stating what the manufacturer published about his product.
Number 3: Maybe you don't understand the written word as well as you think you do.
Number 4: You may not have to try very hard to seem rude. I didn't take your post as being rude, just odd with lacking sentence structure.
Number 5: I am not so sure you know WTF you are talking about either.... Which different 200 lb mammals are you referring to? Humans or 200 pound plains game vs. deer? Have you ever shot a human being? If not, your comparison is moot.

Happy Trails,
WAM

This-

Originally Posted by WAM
Last time I looked at their website the GD rifle bullets were designed for defense and law enforcement.

Reads as a declarative statement. If you understood the subject, then you would know that a “bullet designed for defense and law enforcement” by a major manufacturer is going to exhibit certain characteristics in tissue that lend itself to being an excellent game bullet. If you understood it, than you would know that Gold Dot rifle bullets, and the identically constructed Federal Fusions, are excellent rapid expanding, bonded, hunting projectiles that are a good middle ground between the deep penetration of copper monolithics with relatively narrow wound channels, and the wide wound channels of projectiles such as Hornady ELD-M’s, Berger’s, etc.
If you understood the subject you would know that “designed for law enforcement” means 12-18” minimum penetration after passing through multiple barriers. Gold dot rifle bullets will generally go 18-22” inches in game.

I’ve seen what Gold Dots/Fusions do in more than fifty 150-600 pound game animals, as well as what 124gr and 147gr 9mm, 180gr .40, 55, 62, 64, and 75gr .224, 90gr 6.8, and 150gr .308 do in people.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 04/10/20.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks. I freely admit only seeing a couple of critters shot with a Fusion so my sample is extremely small, although it has nothing to do with my previous post. That small sample convinced me to stick with what works for me. I don't need to stick my finger in a light socket repeatedly to figure out the cause and effect. Happy Trails

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't get the controversy regarding the intended use of the Gold Dot rifle bullets. The Speer Gold Dot bullet is the same as Federal Fusion bullet. They have a "molecularly fused jacket". Can you say "electro-plated"?

Federal claims the Gold Dot rifle bullets were the first bullets "specifically built for deer hunting".

Should be the end of the controversy, but I doubt it. If you're worried the Speer Gold Dots may not be suitable for hunting, get some Federal Fusion bullets instead. Problem solved. [laughing]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/10/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm not worried about Gold Dots being built for deer hunting (or anything else). Not manufactured in calibers for my go-to deer rifles - .257 and .284. Not butt hurt about it either! ROTFLMAO

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Precisely.

Are you and yours healthy, Sig?

Yes we are and I hope you are too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,578 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.