Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by johnw
I enjoyed handloading for decades. It benefited my shooting but for me it was almost as rewarding a hobby as shooting itself. That stage has passed and I only load now for cartridges that are insanely expensive to purchase or difficult to find.

Are you looking for another hobby?

Not really. Been reloading shotguns on a 600 Junior since I was a kid and rifles on a Rockchucker since I was in my early 20's.

This is about wanting to shoot pistols a lot more, getting into a progressive press, and, being in Cali, getting ahead of the game.

Unless you're planning to leave Cali, you are wise to plan for the future there. I don't have a progressive press, but if I lived in Cali, I'd be considering one, stocking up on reloading supplies, and buying lead bullet casting equipment and supplies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by kingston
I don't consider myself a penny pincher, but that's the number I get when, after a lot of research, I place the items I think I am going to need to get set up to reload a single caliber, .45 ACP, in the shopping cart of a popular reloading manufacturer.

At a rough savings of $0.10 / round reloaded over factory (under normal circumstances), that means 13,089 rounds of .45 ACP before I break even, and an initial cash outlay of a couple grand in equipment and components to get there.

By all accounts, it's a great machine, capable of loading many other calibers, but adding equipment to make the press capable of loading another caliber can be, again, a couple hundred bucks per caliber.

I'd like to load .223, .257 Wby, .6.5 Creedmoor, .270, 7-08, .308, .30-06, .300 Win, .380, 9mm, 10mm, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, and .45 ACP, at LEAST.

Somebody pull me off the ledge, or push me over, please.

I could make a couple calls and probably get you everything you need gratis.

Dear Santa,

I want a new digital powder thrower.

Love,

Beaver ❤️😂

You might have to spend some of your ascotsandargyle.com money.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
Back when me, dad and bro were shooting sporting clays (2 leagues), trap and skeet - got pretty good at loading cheap.

Then realized that no matter how cheap we got, and assuming our time was FREE, we still couldn't beat the price per box if you ordered a pallet at a time. Literally a pallet of 12 gauge cases on the back of a truck. Rio IIRC

You might be there - if you got the volume, storage and up front cash.

The thought has crossed my mind that I might just be better off calling Darrik and Whittakers.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

That said, I think that even if you don't shoot enough to ever break even money wise, the satisfaction you get plus the ability to shoot the bullet you want to shoot at the speeds you want makes up for it, at least it does for me.

X2

Last edited by AB2506; 04/06/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Back when me, dad and bro were shooting sporting clays (2 leagues), trap and skeet - got pretty good at loading cheap.

Then realized that no matter how cheap we got, and assuming our time was FREE, we still couldn't beat the price per box if you ordered a pallet at a time. Literally a pallet of 12 gauge cases on the back of a truck. Rio IIRC

You might be there - if you got the volume, storage and up front cash.

The thought has crossed my mind that I might just be better off calling Darrik and Whittakers.

That was 20 years ago. Given all that's happened, I can't believe the economics have inverted.

It ended up being like 15 cents a box but at a couple thousand rounds a week, not counting tournaments- it made sense then.

Me

IC B2

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Originally Posted by kingston
I don't consider myself a penny pincher, but that's the number I get when, after a lot of research, I place the items I think I am going to need to get set up to reload a single caliber, .45 ACP, in the shopping cart of a popular reloading manufacturer.

At a rough savings of $0.10 / round reloaded over factory (under normal circumstances), that means 13,089 rounds of .45 ACP before I break even, and an initial cash outlay of a couple grand in equipment and components to get there.

By all accounts, it's a great machine, capable of loading many other calibers, but adding equipment to make the press capable of loading another caliber can be, again, a couple hundred bucks per caliber.

I'd like to load .223, .257 Wby, .6.5 Creedmoor, .270, 7-08, .308, .30-06, .300 Win, .380, 9mm, 10mm, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, and .45 ACP, at LEAST.

Somebody pull me off the ledge, or push me over, please.

I could make a couple calls and probably get you everything you need gratis.

Rick do this. I was swayed into the Hornady system years ago whilst still in Cali. The 1000 .45 XTPs gratis is what swayed me.

Appreciate the offer, but I'd be much more amenable to a swap/barter or a win/win of some kind (that did not involve hostages wink).

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Really?

You guys cant save money by reloading?

That’s what I tell my wife, math isn’t her strong suit laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Damn, I thought that was the ransom amount to be paid to free Flave.....

I already had my penny stash counted out...

Were I to have remained a California resident, I would have definitely bought reloading gear for handgun ammo. There is a 100% certainty that the state will continue to focus on making ammo as hard to get as possible, and the background check crap is just the first real shot across the bow. I suspect that within 5 years, you will not only have to go through a background check to buy ammo, you'll be limited to something like 100 rounds a month and will have to account for every round. They're going to make it so even the most careful person violates the law and loses his rights.

Granted, they'll also probably start regulating the sale of primers, powder and projectiles, but that will be a lot harder to enforce. The ammo bans are low hanging fruit for the nanny state.

We all have a duty to fight this fight with California. If they can get away with this anywhere, they can get away with this anywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Quak
With the availability of cheap steel cases Soviet ammo reloading pistol makes no sense imho.

The Russian stuff while a bit dirty is very reliable and incredibly accurate. Who wants to chase pistol brass around anyways...

I'm beginning to come around to the cheap Russian steel case as well. Can't shoot it in a managed (indoor) range however They don't allow it.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Ive been shooting it for years. Had a Glock 19 that ate well over 100,000 rounds of it and never suffered from it

GOD Bless America
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, reloading supplies are now much more expensive. I don't use enough shotgun ammo to justify the expense. Handguns about even. I shoot a S&W 52 the most and you can not buy wadcutter ammo cheap. I have yet to find a press, powder measure that will through a 2.7g of Bullseye well. Rifles I have odd ones, so much cheaper to reload. 9mm, 45 ACP, 223 it's getting hard to save by reloading. The steel case stuff I do not like, whatever the price. Might be foolish on my part but I value my firearms.

Last edited by smithrjd; 04/06/20. Reason: edit
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I notice no one has as of yet recommended that I load .45 ACP on my Rockchucker ... all I'd need is dies.

Saw a YouTube video of a guy loading handgun ammo on a single-stage. I'm thinking only in an emergency would I be compelled to pull the handle that many times per round.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I notice no one has as of yet recommended that I load .45 ACP on my Rockchucker ... all I'd need is dies.

Saw a YouTube video of a guy loading handgun ammo on a single-stage. I'm thinking only in an emergency would I be compelled to pull the handle that many times per round.

I'd never do semi auto on the 'Chucker but 45Colt for the Vaquero? Yeah...

Me

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, wheelgun stuff on the Rockchucker I can see. Makes sense.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The job can be done for less.

If one wants to go Dillion then all bets are off. whistle

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is this about loading large quantities of ammo or is it about California’s push to regulate gun ownership out of existence?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of 550's here.

Well worth the investment and GREAT for precision rifle loads.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I load 45 HP on my single stage, but normally just a few hundred rounds for testing and loading for defense. Practice ammo you need a progressive. I have a progressive for volume runs. If you’re doing straight wall, do yourself a favor and get the lee crimp die, I love those things.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What are you buying, a Camdex 2100?

I have a lee loadmaster that I use for the handgun stuff. I can get 400 rounds per hour out of it pretty easily. About 1/3 the cost of a Dillon 750 too! Yeah, the Dillon is a better press but I haven’t had any issues with any of the ammo the LM has produced.

With the exception of 223 blasting ammo, I reload rifle ammo on my single stage or turret press.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don’t load 45 ACP, 9mm, 380, 22lr, or 12 ga

I do load 44 mag...

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.