-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm all for whatever works for each individual set of peepers but those Ghost Ring front blades look like a 2x4 to me ! grin Had a set of them on my triple four but now it wears the Williams as do all my other lever guns and back to a gold bead..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I suppose it's all about what you get used to. I got well used to using the peep and post front on the M16 service rifle in the military and learned to be accurate with it. A couple of years ago. I decided to give the bead front sight another chance and tried honestly for a while to use it. My shooting was pretty sloppy and I thought it was just my eyes going south. I was discussing sights on this forum and Pappy348 mentioned that the post was much more precise than the bead. I put the X/S white stripe posts back on my rifles and damned but my accuracy tightened back up. Those post fronts will stay where they are at this time. YMMV RJ

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rj308
I've never seen a "quick detachable" front sight hood. In my experience, they are quick to install, but a pain in the azz to remove. I've always had to use a pair of snap ring pliers to expand them before I could get them off.

I have used, and still do (with my 72 year old eyes) use the X/S ghost ring rear and white stripe front sights. I've tried all available front sight colors, fiber optic included, and none are more visible under all conditions, than white stripe. And I am much more accurate with a flat top post than with any bead front sight. I have used them since the original owner, Ashley Emerson, started the company that is now X/S Sights. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload images to internet

Nice!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had 20-10 vision, when it degraded to 20-15 I got alarmed, could tell significant difference. I have now dropped to 20-20 with associated close up problems, have to use readers, DUMN!! I can no longer utilize traditional iron sights however have become dependent upon either Lyman or Marbles tang sights on the early lever actions, love them! The only thing that can beat them is a Climbin Lyman 21 Receiver sight or a bolt peep sight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry fella, as much as I like my XS, they are not visible in “all light conditions”, even a shaded area in daylight can throw it off a bit.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nothing is perfect. If X/S sights were perfect, I would not have red dots and scopes. For Iron sight use the X/S sights work better for me than anything else. RJ

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got the same set of problems as do you Willys. Before eye surgery, I had 20/15 vision. But I had to learned to use very mild reading glasses so I could see the open sights of my handguns more clearly.
Now, my vision is 20/20 in my right eye, and 20/30 in my left. Still use the mild readers, they allow for more depth of focus, when I target shoot my handguns.
My iron sighted rifles are a different matter. I have a 16 inch barreled M1A, a Socom 16, with a large front blade, and a very large rear ghost ring. Even at 50 yds., it groups 2-3X larger than it does with a scout scope off of a bench.
I've got a pre-64 M70 that groups 2 inches plus at times at 100 yds. from a bench.
Sounds bad, right ?
But, take it off the bench, and shoot it from field positions, the groups are very close to what my scope sighted guns do, particularly when I'm in a hurry. The M70 has a gold bead. At 100 yds., it covers about 6 inches. I last time I shot it, at 200 yds. 4 of the five rounds landed in a 4 inch group, one additional round opened the group to 7 inches. That's well within the kill zone of a buck. At 100 yds, I usually do about 6-8 inches, but that is because all I'm trying to do is stay in 12 inches. At 200 yds, I was shooting from a sitting position with a sling. But still just trying to stay inside of 12 inches and doing it in a hurry.
I need to take the scope off of my M1A Squad Scout and see what the simple post does when in a hurry. So, I'm still learning about this stuff. Yes, at 76, I'm still learning how to shoot.....
I suggest you put a peep sight on your 94 and sight it in. Then try it from your field positions like you would when shooting a buck. You might find it works rather well. E

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by rj308
I've never seen a "quick detachable" front sight hood. In my experience, they are quick to install, but a pain in the azz to remove. I've always had to use a pair of snap ring pliers to expand them before I could get them off.

I have used, and still do (with my 72 year old eyes) use the X/S ghost ring rear and white stripe front sights. I've tried all available front sight colors, fiber optic included, and none are more visible under all conditions, than white stripe. And I am much more accurate with a flat top post than with any bead front sight. I have used them since the original owner, Ashley Emerson, started the company that is now X/S Sights. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload images to internet

Nice looking setup.

I will give a set of X/S ghost rings on my 32 spl a try!

Will try painting a white line on my front sight to see how I like that too.

Ted
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.