Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Real ham has to be cured first
You can smoke a hind leg—but thats not ham

This. The cure is as important as the smoke.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have smoked a dozen or more wild hog hams. We used a Brinkmann electric smoker. We used pecan wood, as we were in central Georgia and I lived in a pecan orchard.
Pecan is a cousin of the hickory and very similar to hickory.

We just put salt and garlic powder on the ham. The smoker has a water pan, we would put water and red wine in the pan, along with a beer or two.
The smoked wild hog ham is the best meat I have ever eaten. Less fat than domestic pork.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I use pecan wood a lot when smoking. It's a bit milder than Hickory but still provides a great flavor. I don't smoke with Mesquite. I did that one time and it was too much of a good thing. I'll grill with it but not smoke with it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done it and they came out great using pork loins and I did it with wild hog.I didn't do the whole leg,but broke the hindquarters down and used the larger individual muscles.Here is my recipe I have stored in my file.

This is my recipe.I used this for the pork loin too.Yours looks and sounds awesome too.
I just made me some pecan smoked boneless wild boar ham and some pecan smoked whitetail tenderloin and backstrap.I used Morton's Tenderquick Curing Salt and let me tell you they came out awesome.I used 1/2 oz. per lb. of meat.Dissolved the salt cure in a cup of water,used an injection needle and injected the meat,this helps get the curing process started on the inside.I then put the meat in a large plastic bag and poured the cure solution on the meat.Make sure the meat gets mixed around good so the cure can go to work on the outside.I keep the meat iced down in the bags for 2-3 days,then I rinse the meat and let it soak for several hours in fresh water to help remove the excess salt.I repeat the fresh water rinse and soak three times and it's OK to let it soak overnight.I've found that soaking the meat three times gives me a light salt taste where soaking the meat twice will give you a fairly salty taste.So it's really a matter of how you like yours.When I get ready to smoke it,I take the meat out of the bags,run some butcher twine through the meat so I can hang it in the smoker,then sprinkle the outside of the meat with med. ground black pepper.I set my smoker temp at 130-140 degrees,hang the meat and smoke for two hours at this temp.After two hours I quit the smoke,but kick the temp up to around 160 degrees for two hours.Then after the two hours at 160 degrees,I kick the heat up to 180-185 degrees for round eight hours,depending on how thick your meat is(I use boneless meat around a couple of inches thick).Anyway,just keep it at this temp till you reach your desired dryness.After your drying is complete,take meat out of the smoker and let it cool.Wrap the cooled meat in butcher paper and store in the refridgerator for a day or two if you have room,if not just go ahead and freeze what your not going to eat now.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Real ham has to be cured first
You can smoke a hind leg—but thats not ham

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get extra wide papers. And good luck keeping it lit.

Can't believe someone didn't already drop that bomb - I have no shame. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I never could keep them lit. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like cherry, apple or grape woods. Milder flavor than hickory.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
With other cuts of pork I'll use a combination of Pecan and Apple.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Get extra wide papers. And good luck keeping it lit.

Can't believe someone didn't already drop that bomb - I have no shame. laugh

Originally Posted by plainsman456
I never could keep them lit. grin

Neither of you guys should quit your day jobs. grin

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use LEM sweet ham cure. Then smoke with Apple. Works great on Feral Pigs

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,608
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.