Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...Chi-Na.

Coronavirus: Government’s testing chief admits none of 3.5m antibody kits work sufficiently

Coronavirus: Government’s testing chief admits none of 3.5m antibody kits work sufficiently

Tests are 'not good enough to be worth rolling out in very large scale', says Professor John Newton

The UK government’s new testing chief has admitted that none of the 3.5 million antibody tests ordered from China are fit for widespread use.

Professor John Newton, who was appointed by health secretary Matt Hancock to oversee testing, reportedly said the tests were only able to identify immunity in people who had been severely sick with coronavirus.

The tests did not pass the evaluation stage, and he was quoted by The Times as saying they were “not good enough to be worth rolling out in very large scale”.

Prof Newton, director of public health improvement for Public Health England (PHE) said three “mega labs” for testing NHS staff was his top priority and did not expect university and commercial labs to be able to help.

He said: “We are not relying on lots of people coming forward to help us to achieve what’s required and we shouldn’t get too distracted by that.

There’s a big, big ask at the moment which is quite specific [on testing NHS staff]. So a lot of these companies who are offering their capacity may not be directly related to that ask and therefore they might not be as helpful at the moment.”

Mr Hancock has also acknowledged that early analysis of the tests showed “some of them have not performed well”.

He added, speaking on Thursday, that: “We’re hopeful that they [the tests] will improve and that the later tests that we’ve got our hands on will be able to be reliable enough for people to use them with confidence.”

Last month, a PHE director told ministers the 15-minute home test kits would be available “within days” once they have been cleared – but doubt was cast over the accuracy of the tests just days after.

But eight days after Professor Sharon Peacock said the tests would “absolutely” become available, Downing Street was unable to give any timetable for the introduction of the tests.

A spokesperson for Boris Johnson also warned that the use of unreliable tests could have “significant adverse consequences” if people were given false confidence in their own immunity.

Antibody testing, which Boris Johnson called a “gamechanger”, is regarded as crucial to eventually lifting the lockdown measures in place across the country.

Prof Newton has poured cold water on the idea the government may be able to make millions of home test kits in days, and said the idea was “based on the fact that we might just buy the existing test, and at the moment the judgement is that that wouldn’t be the best thing to do”.

He added he was “optimistic” that commercial partners wiling to work with scientists who had been evaluating the tests would be able to improve them.

Meanwhile, the president of the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) raised concerns that labs around the country lack the vital materials needed to meet the government’s promise to test 100,000 people for coronavirus a day by the end of April.

Allan Wilson said during an interview with Sky News: “My main concern is that we do not have the capacity to meet the targets set by Mr Hancock. We’re still struggling to meet that target. We have staff around the country, biomedical scientists and equipment ready and staff trained to carry out the testing, but we are really struggling to get the consumables, the chemicals and testing kits we need to carry out these tests.”

In a statement, IBMS said there were “huge issues” regarding the reliability of the millions of antibody tests bought by the UK government.

“At least one in 10 people who test positive on the antibody test (and are therefore considered to have immunity) will be “false positives” and will not have immunity,” it said.

“Using the skilled workforce we have at our disposal and doing the tests that we know work is currently the best strategy. This will require the NHS to further expand its testing approach to ensure the right tests are performed at the right time on the right people to successfully tackle this worldwide pandemic, supporting and protecting those at most risk from this virus.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Social Care said: “Antibody tests offer the hope that people who think they have had the disease will know they are immune and get back to life as normal. We are currently working with several companies who are offering these tests and are evaluating their effectiveness.

“The Covid[-19] scientific advisory panel, led by Prof Sir John Bell, is currently undertaking a rapid evaluation process to establish their reliability. We will publish the results of this evaluation once it is completed.”

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But they were probably cheap.

Another good outcome of the virus is that every time someone gets chinked on a deal with the Chinese it is making the front page.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wonder how much they paid for those kits ?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope China goes under because of this.

LOL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
chinked - i like that .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Cheap...Fast..Quality

Pick any two.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So many Mericans have been bitching loudly about our slow rolling process of testing capabilities here. The MSM has been literally knashing their collective teeth over it, throwing it at the POTUS.
The people that needed to know knew how high the failure rate was on most all of the various tests out early on.
I heard one Dr. that was on the front lines early on state "why waste my time on a 40-50% failure rate test? That is unacceptable by OUR standards".
The MSM never let up however.

FJB & FJT
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dess
Cheap...Fast..Quality

Pick any two.

Been saying that for years. Having been to China many times for work, I can say that the third part of that is hard in China unless your right there looking over their shoulders.

Carpe' Scrotum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
China...less credibility than CNN.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
China...less credibility than CNN.

Is there a gap between the two?

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Absolutely Shocked that those Ghouls would send this stuff out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Let’s see. Spain’s kits, Italy’s kits, England’s kits,,,,by design, maybe?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I don't understand it . Nothing good can come out of this.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Yeah, but just think of all the money they saved!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You’re exactly right and it has not, nor will it ever.

Buying kits from the emanating source of the virus. Now,,,what possibly go wrong with that ?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Like throwing a drowning man a piece of chain to hold on to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Population control? Money? To name a couple.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Like throwing a drowning man a piece of chain to hold on to.

I think there’s real truth here. The Chinese don’t want to be weakened and the rest of the world not.

Last edited by Daveinjax; 04/07/20.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
its like
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Population control? Money? To name a couple.

Whose Population ? If the Answer is anywhere but China why would you kill potential buyers of your product? This IMHO is a show of strength on display by the ChiComs.

"Look Phuggers we released the virus and you are still forced to buy our lousy crap to try to save yourselves"

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 04/07/20.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
they're not doing it right

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.