Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TWR
The last thing I want on a shotgun is sights, including a red dot. A light is useful though.

AARRRH!

Naked Blunderbuss with a torch!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
As far as irons vs red dots, I’ll say this: I will always support learning basic marksmanship with irons. But, when it comes to being able to quickly and accurately utilize a rifle (or even a pistol for that matter), its hard to beat a good RDS. I make hits with a pistol with an RDS that I would have never made before.

anything that puts it all on the same focal plane and doesn't block target vision helps speed, and accuracy. A fairly simple concept to understand.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ll take a RDS these days on anything they can be attached to. I know I make better and faster hits with them than with irons. Low powered scopes with good illum are pretty quick as well.

Any of you guys used a low powered scope with illuminated dot at close ranges by snapping the front scope cover down and shooting with both eyes open? I think it is called Occluded shooting?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tried that with an Aimpoint, just to see how it worked.

It worked fine at close range, didn’t try it past 25 yards.

In theory, should work at any distance, if your non-dominant eye is of the same quality as your dominant eye.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ll take a RDS these days on anything they can be attached to. I know I make better and faster hits with them than with irons. Low powered scopes with good illum are pretty quick as well.

Any of you guys used a low powered scope with illuminated dot at close ranges by snapping the front scope cover down and shooting with both eyes open? I think it is called Occluded shooting?

I've done some practice with it using a 5X prism at 10 yards or less. Works pretty well. Both eyes open, looking at target, bright red horseshoe reticle appears in view.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 1.5x4 scope with illuminated dot on my AR. The scope has black lens covers. With the front cover down and both eyes open it seems as fast and accurate as a RDS out to about 20 yards. Beyond that I can pop that cover up and use the scope as it is normally used. Seems pretty darned versatile.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com]

This scope is a 1-8.5 FFP Bushnell Elite. So far I like it. At 1X on illumination it works great for up close, the 8.5X is real nice with a center dot and a mil based reticle. Nice turrets on it and it feels rugged so far. Its heavy but if it works well I am okay with the capability. Time will tell if it's a POS but it feels about the same as the LRHS in construction and build.

The Upside "U" worked pretty slick on 1X for quicker shooting. I shoot both eyes open anytime I shoot anyhow, so I tend to like to have some magnification if I can have it as well.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hmm. I shoot with both eyes open to start with. closing an eye leads to other vision issues in match shooting. I guess it just carries over from competition to everything I shoot

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot with both eyes open too but this occluded shooting where you close the cover of the scope or red dot is to prove a point, you don't need to look through the optic to hit at least up close. The Binden aiming concept Trijicon pushes is about the same thing.

I've shot my VX6 1-6 with the cover closed and the fire dot on just like a red dot up close but if you get past 20 yards or so, you'll do much better with the cover open and using the Binden Aiming Concept. The bright dot is the key, it automatically superimposes itself on what you're looking at.

In the dark my Accupower 1-4's work about the same but in daylight, you begin to understand the importance of a daylight bright dot.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by TWR
The last thing I want on a shotgun is sights, including a red dot. A light is useful though.

can you explain this further? I'm trying to wrap my head around not aiming.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I shoot with both eyes open too but this occluded shooting where you close the cover of the scope or red dot is to prove a point, you don't need to look through the optic to hit at least up close. The Binden aiming concept Trijicon pushes is about the same thing.

I've shot my VX6 1-6 with the cover closed and the fire dot on just like a red dot up close but if you get past 20 yards or so, you'll do much better with the cover open and using the Binden Aiming Concept. The bright dot is the key, it automatically superimposes itself on what you're looking at.

In the dark my Accupower 1-4's work about the same but in daylight, you begin to understand the importance of a daylight bright dot.

Fairly sure that I could have both caps closed and no dot and do ok to about 20. Just superimpose the black scope objective on the target.

Finally took. both front and rear sight off a ruger 22, to show my wife that up close aim and squeeze, while admirable and all and which should let training take over, as the bear gets closer you need to do more if it hasn't stopped yet. Get more lead in the air so to speak, now is NOT the time to aim and squeeze.. thats why you have a 15 round mag plus 1 in the chamber on your 10mm....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by avonac
Originally Posted by TWR

can you explain this further? I'm trying to wrap my head around not aiming.

Shotguns either fit you or they don't. Aiming is different as there are no sights to align to shoot a flying bird, why would you need them to shoot an intruder?

I have a Benelli M1 with a 21" barrel, just a vent rib and bead. I shoot it just fine whether it's quail, dove, clays or coyotes. Even with my Turkey choke I've killed Turkey's at less than 10 yards.

But I once thought that an M2 Tactical would be so much better so I bought one and after trying to aim the ghost ring sights, it became apparent that I was much slower and I eventually hated that gun. Sold it to another guy who just had to have one. Now if I was shooting slugs, it might be different but even when I was a kid I shot a Remington Mohawk 48 with slugs on an armadillo safari and faired just fine without sights.

A red dot could be useful to some I guess but I don't see the need.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Spot on about a shotgun having to fit. It has to shoot where you look. And thats basically fit.

I suck at birds but while thats true, I do hit a few now and then. The longer its been since competitive rifle, the better I am. I NEVER see the bead on the end of a shotgun. I"m sure its there. In fact I know it is. But I don't ever recall seeing it....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got that Mohawk 48 when I was 12 or maybe 13 and up until the late 90's I hunted quail every chance I got, had some good dogs to hunt over too. I wish we still had the birds but they have died off and I don't even know anyone with a decent dog anymore...

Anyway, I never see the bead either. My uncle used to say, if you're looking for that blasted bead, you're gonna miss! He was right.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
there’s a distinct difference in how we shoot flying birds and how we shoot someone who is trying kill you, there is little stress and zero penalties for missing. On the other hand, engaging a person who is trying to hurt you or your family is a high stress event and the penalty for missing can be deadly. Combine that with the fact that the human body is not always that impressed with bullets, even the almighty shotgun. There is no reason not to acquire a sight picture and put rounds exactly where you would like. An aimpoint micro on a shotgun is legit

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Feel free to add whatever you need to your shotgun, I will do the same.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
adding a sight can be legit. OTOH I dare someone to push a fellow who is instinctively good with a shotgun... that fellow isn't going to miss and if they do they would have with a dot too.

I can also say this from the bow standpoint, once I got capable with a recurve and no sights, up to a certain distance, and that was a short distance, it was like you ain't gonna miss. You see the target and thats it and an arrow gets there.

I was walking to the stand one time, and saw a doe off the trail watching me. I remember thinking I should take her. Thats about the only thing I remember besides she was on the wrong side of the trail. Next thing I literally recall is an arrow going through her.

Instincts when things fit are a good thing at close ranges.. Fast. Deadly. Accurate.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the Steiner 1-4 that I wound up with seems to be daylight bright. As far as shooting stuff, the 1-6 Leup and the 1-4 Steiner work pretty good even at close range, the 1-8 trijicon is OK but its so darn heavy and I guess I am not a FFP fan.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Red dot on your AR and the brightest fugkin' Streamlight you can afford. Light on the strong side, momentary pressure switch on top of the forend.

You'll probably win.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I guess I am not a FFP fan.

Not a good idea for close(r) ranges & low power settings for quick shooting in low light; I have a really hard time rationalizing them at all on a tactical set up other than for a LR Precision type rig.

Some guys are ape-shcitt over them, I'm not one of them for closer & personal social intercourse.

JMHO

MM

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,043
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.