Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14760660 04/08/20
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
6 years ago I bought a new Vaquero. Haven't shot it much and am dusting her off now.

Seems to me, there was something about replacing the pin that goes through the cylinder.

Be damned if I can remember the details and we know how well "search" works.

Planning on ordering a Wolf spring kit, would like to take care of the other at the same time.

One of you remember the details or where I get one? Seems to me it was an easy swap...

Me

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The base pin? Belt Mountain makes them. You can get replacements that either have locking screws or not. Stainless or not. Those with the locking screws are great if you are going to run heavier loads so as to keep the base pin from working its way out tying up your cylinder or losing the base pin.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Could be you're talking about swapping in the Belt Mountain base pin? Check midway, brownells, maybe others. You can also order direct from Belt Mountain's web site.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had to run and look to make sure of the maker, but Power Custom also has'em.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That's it!

Thanks guys - it's a bitch getting old.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
teal,

The chances of needing a new base pin are pretty slim, but an aftermarket won't hurt anything either.

Your spring kit should include a new spring for the retaining button for your base pin. It will be more stronger and should prevent it from slipping forward with most loads.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
teal,

The chances of needing a new base pin are pretty slim, but an aftermarket won't hurt anything either.

Your spring kit should include a new spring for the retaining button for your base pin. It will be more stronger and should prevent it from slipping forward with most loads.

This.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweet! thanks - was unaware. I'm going to order that kit here shortly. Sorta holding off until I know if I'm going to score that Bisley or not from Lipsey's - get 2. Prob should just order both and call it good.

Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EdM
teal,

This.

maybe its just that i am not shooting heavy bullets in my new vaquero, but i have never had an issue with the base pin or anything else for that matter.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by EdM
teal,

This.

maybe its just that i am not shooting heavy bullets in my new vaquero, but i have never had an issue with the base pin or anything else for that matter.

I've had the base pin in my Flattop slide forward with the standard spring when shooting 260gr. stuff.

But lots of people buy them just to tighten tolerances. They have no real "need" for them.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Be aware that the Belt Mountain pin may need some minor fitting to work, mine did.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Be aware that the Belt Mountain pin may need some minor fitting to work, mine did.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I am holding off on the pin - ordered the spring kits from Power Custom. He's got some excellent smithing videos on YouTube for all of it.

Well maybe not excellent but good enough to talk a guy into taking his stuff apart and think it's a good idea lol.

Me

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
Seems to me, there was something about replacing the pin that goes through the cylinder.

There's a few things to consider before replacing the base pin. Upon firing the bullet briefly resides in both the cylinder throat and the forcing cone with peak pressure driving it. It's critical that there is either sufficient alignment or enough wiggle to accommodate the process. If there isn't sufficient alignment or wiggle firing the pistol will soon hammer in some slop.

One possible outcome of installing a tighter base pin is holding the cylinder firmly out of alignment which won't add anything desirable and only accelerate wear. The best way to ensure that doesn't happen is a range rod. The range rod will help you decide beforehand if a tighter base pin is even necessary and afterwards determine you aren't causing more harm.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RyanTX

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

laugh

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am holding off on the pin - ordered the spring kits from Power Custom. He's got some excellent smithing videos on YouTube for all of it.

Well maybe not excellent but good enough to talk a guy into taking his stuff apart and think it's a good idea lol.

I support this decision.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JOG

There's a few things to consider before replacing the base pin. Upon firing the bullet briefly resides in both the cylinder throat and the forcing cone with peak pressure driving it. It's critical that there is either sufficient alignment or enough wiggle to accommodate the process. If there isn't sufficient alignment or wiggle firing the pistol will soon hammer in some slop.

One possible outcome of installing a tighter base pin is holding the cylinder firmly out of alignment which won't add anything desirable and only accelerate wear. The best way to ensure that doesn't happen is a range rod. The range rod will help you decide beforehand if a tighter base pin is even necessary and afterwards determine you aren't causing more harm.

I found exactly this via range rod on my 5 1/2" Bisley 45 Colt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I also ordered the Kuhnhausen manuals for it. I hope they're as good as his 1911 books.

Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got the old Vaquero in .44 Magnum. Never had the base pin come loose under recoil.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have a Belt Mountain base pin, locking variety, on order for my original Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45. There have been occasions on the range when the pin worked its way out while shooting some of my heavy loads. Not acceptable. I am currently shooting 325 gr. WFN cast bullets, at a MV of 1150 fps, my 'bear load'- there is some recoil involved.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,642
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.