-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few decades back I recall reading something about alcohol consumption per capita in Europe. Ireland was quite low compared to most other European countries. I remember that because it went against the hard drinking stereotypical Irish image. Any truth to that or could it have been fake news ?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 22250rem
A few decades back I recall reading something about alcohol consumption per capita in Europe. Ireland was quite low compared to most other European countries. I remember that because it went against the hard drinking stereotypical Irish image. Any truth to that or could it have been fake news ?

I would guess Irish then and Irish now, two different animals. I will say that, maybe even more than England, the local pub is a social/cultural center. And best keep your mouth shut on political issues because in Ulster especially there’s “ahem”.... British pubs and Republican pubs. And outside of Ulster Republican pubs. Be content to be a clueless American, ergo neutral, because for them it ain’t just idle talk. Anyways that was my experience.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by 700LH
Please define "black Irish"

Groid.

Far from it, I expect by the numbers the Spanish Armada theory is a bit far fetched. Cork Harbor is an incredibly good harbor; narrow entrance, large sheltered bay, short passage up the broad River Lee to a large loch.

From what I have read the harbor really didn’t take off as a major port until the Napoleonic Wars, second decade of the 1800’s, then it became a major seaport employing thousands of locals like my kin as sailors. Some of these brung back wives from the Mediterranean Nations, fellow Catholics. I recall reading too of an Italian Tailor setting up shop in Queenstown (present day Cobh). So when the port went International, so did the population to some extent.

That’s my guess.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The only reason nobody "conquered" Ireland was there was nothing there worth the effort, except raiding for slaves. It's really that simple.

Have you ever been to Ireland?

I've been to Ireland and he's somewhat correct. Ireland is extremely poor in natural resources. That's why they burnt peat for heat. No coal, no metallic ores, not great farming land. etc.

Wonderful farm land, moderate temperatures and constant rain courtesy of the Gulf Stream, part of the reason why two acres of potatoes could feed a family of ten.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by 700LH
Please define "black Irish"

Groid.

Far from it, I expect by the numbers the Spanish Armada theory is a bit far fetched. Cork Harbor is an incredibly good harbor; narrow entrance, large sheltered bay, short passage up the broad River Lee to a large loch.

From what I have read the harbor really didn’t take off as a major port until the Napoleonic Wars, second decade of the 1800’s, then it became a major seaport employing thousands of locals like my kin as sailors. Some of these brung back wives from the Mediterranean Nations, fellow Catholics. I recall reading too of an Italian Tailor setting up shop in Queenstown (present day Cobh). So when the port went International, so did the population to some extent.

That’s my guess.

Was told about the wreck of the Armada fleet and subsequent comingling by folks in Ireland while in the country and took them at their word.

As you said, the truth is most likely somewhere in between.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by auk1124
Not sure if conquered is the correct word or not, but the Scandinavians had a strong presence in Ireland for centuries. A lot of those red-haired Irish lasses probably
inherited more of their features from some scruffy Danish pig thief than they did from any Celtic princess.

And yet if DNA is to believed, the Vikings left very little of themselves in Ireland, certainly much less than is apparent today in parts of Scotland and Northern England. However the Irish left a lot of themselves in Iceland.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The only reason nobody "conquered" Ireland was there was nothing there worth the effort, except raiding for slaves. It's really that simple.

What did Ireland have that Rome needed that was worth the effort?

Now extrapolate that out.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not sure if conquered is the correct word or not, but the Scandinavians had a strong presence in Ireland for centuries. A lot of those red-haired Irish lasses probably
inherited more of their features from some scruffy Danish pig thief than they did from any Celtic princess.

And yet if DNA is to believed, the Vikings left very little of themselves in Ireland, certainly much less than is apparent today in parts of Scotland and Northern England. However the Irish left a lot of themselves in Iceland.

The women they took from the island you mean. Sure as hell wasn't raiding Irishmen spreading the seed lololol

MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The Romans stopped along about Hadrian’s Wall. Their furthest north outpost was East Gate located in the quaint town of Lincoln, England. The East Gate Hotel sits atop the ruins.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
WE WAS SLAVES! 😡

I demand reparations......

Yep, we was, and were farther down the social Totem Pole than blacks.

Still, I don't get all butt hurt when someone calls me a " Mick"

And I haven't asked for reparations...yet.

My son and I took in the Isle of Man TT Races in 2016 cool Camping next to us were some trendy young folk from Dublin. JFC talk about a victim mentality! Wearing it on their sleeve as an excuse to be downright rude to their English neighbors.

I visited and called ‘em on it, pointed out that they were indeed privileged compared to myself and our English Working Class neighbors of forty years earlier and by blood I was as Irish Catholic as them. Boy did they get PO’d, screamed at me and everything grin Unfortunately we had to leave to get the ferry early the next morning.

I would have loved to PO them some more. I despise a victim mentality, and rudeness.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
WE WAS SLAVES! 😡

I demand reparations......

Yep, we was, and were farther down the social Totem Pole than blacks.

Still, I don't get all butt hurt when someone calls me a " Mick"

And I haven't asked for reparations...yet.

My son and I took in the Isle of Man TT Races in 2016 cool Camping next to us were some trendy young folk from Dublin. JFC talk about a victim mentality! Wearing it on their sleeve as an excuse to be downright rude to their English neighbors.

I visited and called ‘em on it, pointed out that they were indeed privileged compared to myself and our English Working Class neighbors of forty years earlier and by blood I was as Irish Catholic as them. Boy did they get PO’d, screamed at me and everything grin Unfortunately we had to leave to get the ferry early the next morning.

I would have loved to PO them some more. I despise a victim mentality, and rudeness.

Birdie,,,,were you not a victim of their ire ? Pot/kettle ?

Grins

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m Irish!!!!........of course I can patch drywall!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The women they took from the island you mean. Sure as hell wasn't raiding Irishmen spreading the seed lololol

And yet IIRC St Patric hisself first arrived in Ireland as a slave taken by Irish pirates.

Again IIRC Iceland was a pioneer colony founded mostly by younger Vikings of fewer prospects living on the fringes of that class-bound society. Pop history has them dragging off Irish girls and yet strangely enough all these captive Irish girls don’t seem to show up elsewhere.

OK, even given that some or even many were taken as spoils of war, who runs things in your household?

Meanwhile, in Ireland, the supposedly invincible Vikings, unlike everywhere else they landed, are restricted to the ports, eventually vassals to the surrounding Irish, fulfilling a useful purpose in the import/export trade and, as noted, apparently leaving little trace of their DNA, which is a puzzle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Grins

Well now it’s on you to post an example of me as a victim, ever.

The Irish slavery comment was tongue in cheek, that whole Irish slavery thing is historical twaddle, and even if it were true how could I complain, I get to be an American cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Britannia was enough drain on Roman resources
the idea of more of the same would be silly.
Rome seemed largely content to conduct trade
with the 'Hibernians'.... archeology at Drumanagh
has uncovered coins dating to reigns of:
Titus (AD 74-81), Trajan (AD 98-117) and Hadrian
(AD 117-138), Roman brooches and copper ingots.

WITH THE Romans it was not about 'can we or can't we?'...
but more about... 'should we?'... Agricola considered it,
but Rome was already extented and had issues like
soldier revolts and task of maintaining higher priorities
in the far more rewarding east empire provinces...Plus
the dynamics of politics in Rome.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Grins

The Irish slavery comment was tongue in cheek, that whole Irish slavery thing is historical twaddle, and even if it were true how could I complain, I get to be an American cool

We both did. As Warren Buffett explained when asked about financial disparities in the USA, he said, “when I was born, I had an approximately one in sixty thousand chance of being born in this great country at the time of my birth.. If you’re here, don’t waste that opportunity “.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Grins

We both did. As Warren Buffett explained when asked about financial disparities in the USA, he said, “when I was born, I had an approximately one in sixty thousand chance of being born in this great country at the time of my birth.. If you’re here, don’t waste that opportunity “.
Hot damn, now I'm gonna play the lottery again!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'll take that as a no. lol

They called Ireland Hibernia and considered it part of their Empire by some maps. What they did or didn't take all those 2000 years ago I don't know. But I suspect it was little if anything being about as far from Rome as you could get. And Ireland wasn't all gaga about gold and silver like England for instance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A real puzzle to me is why and how the population of the poorest in Ireland exploded the way it did in the sixty years prior to the famine.

Was it an imposed Pax Brittanica that squelched tribal warfare?

Or maybe the poor and dispossessed in every time and place fall back on breeding in the absence of any other prospects.

In common with others of similar ancestry my first Ancestry.com results were really specific; Cork Headlands, extreme SW Ireland, which proximity to the sea would explain the sailor thing.

It has become common knowledge since that this Irish specifity as to location came about through widespread inbreeding; cousin marriage. In an impoverished setting with little means or freedom to travel, one could easily have fifty first cousins in the neighborhood, and even more second cousins.

Apparently folks are offended by this, since then Ancestry.com has amended the results to include more of SW Ireland 🙄

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everybody knows Hadrian’s Wall, most everyone overlooks the Antonine Wall, built a generation later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonine_Wall

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (1_deuce, 375sunrise, 338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 24 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,229
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.