As the stay at home order has us house bound, I have been doing a lot of reading this week. I discovered a website called "The Faded Page" and am thoroughly enjoying reading some of the books offered there.

When I was an adolescent, I haunted the bookshelves of the local drugstore. Many were the pages of Outdoor Life and Sports Afield I flipped through while I was there because I could not afford to buy the magazines.

The store also had a large collection of paperback books. Among the authors featured was a fellow by the name of Max Brand. There sure were a lot of books with his name on them as the author. I later learned the term, "dime novels", and I always associated the term with poorly written westerns and I thought Max Brand embodied the type of author who wrote those novels.

The Faded Page has a collection of his works, turns out his real name was Frederick Schiller Faust and he wrote under the pen name of Max Brand.

I read "Blood on the Trail", one of his earliest, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I plan on reading a few more of his books. Zane Gray and Max Brand will see me through the coronavirus and help me stay sane while all around me, madness reigns.