Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

Looking for something more than my little snub nose 38. It's lightweight and easy to carry, and shoot, but probably passing it down to my daughter for her use. I have a Ruger P85 also, fun to shoot, but a little large/heavy to carry regularly.

Figured I'd make a significant step up in power for my next compact carry backpack/carry gun. Purpose is the minuscule chance of a cougar or black bear encounter while bowhunting, or more likely a varmint of the human variety.

I have handled a 30SF, but have not shot it. I've watched almost every Youtube video there is on the handgun, most reviews are it's pretty manageable recoil, even better than the 40 in the same frame.

I like the size of the 36, but have not handled it yet, and in this crazy world, I cannot imagine when I will get to.

Input?

thanks,

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The 30S has developed a good reputation among folks I know, and respect, for just this reason. Based on their recommendation, I purchased one and after replacing the factory sights with Ameriglo "Operator" night sights and a trigger connector, I wear mine 24/7 stoked with Federal LE HST 230 +P JHP rounds. A 230 JHP of that caliber and quality moving out at 950fps...…..that's a lot of persuasion, for ALL varmint's, 2 or 4 legged!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Would suggest you actually shoot one not just handle it if possible...

Love the 10mm and bought a 40/4 when they came out...liked it so much bought a 20SF/3 and a 29/3 and hated both of them...the 29 was especially rough on the hands and I shoot Magnum revolvers all the time...

A 30 is no different than a 29 other than the caliber and if you are going to run some of the warmer "Outdoorsmen" type loads will kick just about as hard....

Some people love them, but would suggest you try one if you can first...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A friend of mine in Texas has one, it’s his cary gun. Loves it, he says it eats anything unlike his Kimber.

There was and article over on Glock Talk about the versatility of the 30, very interesting.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheRogue

Looking for something more than my little snub nose 38. It's lightweight and easy to carry, and shoot, but probably passing it down to my daughter for her use. I have a Ruger P85 also, fun to shoot, but a little large/heavy to carry regularly.

Figured I'd make a significant step up in power for my next compact carry backpack/carry gun. Purpose is the minuscule chance of a cougar or black bear encounter while bowhunting, or more likely a varmint of the human variety.

I have handled a 30SF, but have not shot it. I've watched almost every Youtube video there is on the handgun, most reviews are it's pretty manageable recoil, even better than the 40 in the same frame.

I like the size of the 36, but have not handled it yet, and in this crazy world, I cannot imagine when I will get to.

Input?

thanks,

Just to be clear, do you know there's a difference between the 30SF and the 30S? The SF designation was strictly for the Gen 3 Glock 30. It stood for Short Frame. In Gen 4, they dropped that special designation and just made every Gen 4 Model 30 short frame, so they just call it the Glock 30 in the Gen 4, even though it has the SF feature.

Now the Glock 30S is a Glock 36 slide on the Glock 30 frame, so you have the slim slide (about like a Glock 19) on a frame that handles double stack mags.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I had the 30S when it first came out. Sold it. It constantly locked open before the mag was empty. I sent it back and they sent it back to me telling me I had to make sure to keep my thumb away from the slide release, and that there was nothing wrong with it. I followed their instructions and it still happened at the same rate as before. I sold it and got the Gen 4 30. Not a single malfunction of any sort after thousands of rounds.

I have about a dozen Glocks and none does that, so I find it hard to believe it was me. Maybe this particular 30S was defective, and Glock staff were just being a-holes. Maybe if I bought another one, it would work fine. I don't know. I love the concept of the 30S, but it just didn't work for me. At least the particular specimen I had didn't. Could be a wild fluke, and the vast majority of them work fine. I'd love to have a second chance at one without risk of having to sell at another loss if it had the same issue.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go Glock 30S and don't look back

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Just to be clear, do you know there's a difference between the 30SF and the 30S? The SF designation was strictly for the Gen 3 Glock 30. It stood for Short Frame. In Gen 4, they dropped that special designation and just made every Gen 4 Model 30 short frame, so they just call it the Glock 30 in the Gen 4, even though it has the SF feature.

Now the Glock 30S is a Glock 36 slide on the Glock 30 frame, so you have the slim slide (about like a Glock 19) on a frame that handles double stack mags.

Hawkeye's comment on is Spot On.

Originally Posted by RJM
Would suggest you actually shoot one not just handle it if possible...Bob

Always a good idea if possible.

Haven't heard of Lafayette, where are you located? I'm in SW Oregon (the Rogue Valley), if nearby you could shoot my Gen. 4, G30 (not a G30S).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by frogman43
The 30S has developed a good reputation among folks I know, and respect, for just this reason. Based on their recommendation, I purchased one and after replacing the factory sights with Ameriglo "Operator" night sights and a trigger connector, I wear mine 24/7 stoked with Federal LE HST 230 +P JHP rounds. A 230 JHP of that caliber and quality moving out at 950fps...…..that's a lot of persuasion, for ALL varmint's, 2 or 4 legged!

I would be concerned about wound channel with this round. My preference would be for something with more penetration if you are talking black bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfqM3grAiyI

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Just an addition to others points--going from a 30 to a 30S loses you a 1/4 lb. I didn't believe it until I weighed both slides on a postal scale.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The lighter weight of the G30S over the G30SF made for a big increase in felt recoil to me. It slowed my second shot recovery and the G30S was not nearly as accurate as the G30 and the G30SF I have owned.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been carrying a new to me G29 SF, I like it. Haven't been able to put a lot of rounds through it yet though.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm a fan of my Glock 30, Gen 4. Shoots great. Not bad to carry IWB. Decent capacity, and 100% reliable. Not to mention, you can carry a spare 13 round mag.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by WTM45
The lighter weight of the G30S over the G30SF made for a big increase in felt recoil to me. It slowed my second shot recovery and the G30S was not nearly as accurate as the G30 and the G30SF I have owned.

This is accurate, and it's directly related to that lighter slide weight. Hawkeye's comments about the 30S are a result of that light slide too; it's not a defective gun, just a poor design. Because of that light slide, the slide unlocks early and the slide velocity is way too high for good reliability in my experience with several examples of them. The 30S is a choice that makes sense for people who don't shoot much but focus on the features and how it feels in the belt. It's one of my most disliked Glocks, except for the 36 which has all the same issues but fewer rounds and less grip.

On the other hand if the OP is talking about the 30SF - nothing wrong with them, although I'd suggest the gen 4 model 30 just for the minor improvements, but that's not a big deal. Personally I prefer the 21, and don't notice much difference when it's in my belt but it's easier to shoot fast & accurately.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not the 21/30 but the same size guns, just different rounds...... I spent a fair amount of time with a G29SF and it didn't take me long to realize I much prefer the G20SF. I can't remember the exact difference but I think it was only about 3 oz's unloaded. The G20 was just much easier to handle/shoot and I didn't notice any difference OWB or in a HPG kit bag. The thickness of the G29 just put it in the same weight/carry size for open carry as the G20 with a shorter grip and shorter sight radius....neither of which I appreciated. The size difference just wasn't noticeable to me for carry but was when shooting so I went back to the G20SF.

If I was set on 45 acp, I think I'd prefer the 36 to the 30 if I was wanting more compact.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
thanks all...yes I meant the 30S. Honestly it's all about the carrying for me. I'm not flinch sensitive, but again, have not fired the 45.

A more realistic piece for what I would use it for is probably a lightweight 9mm, but I still want to bump up in power.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by frogman43

I would be concerned about wound channel with this round. My preference would be for something with more penetration if you are talking black bear.

Well now Lennie, I haven't put one of these through a Bear's noggin...….but I'm thinking it would sure go through it. wink grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If your hand and its grip get along, the 30 series Glocks are sturdy accurate and reliable. I have to undercut the trigger-guard, but I pretty much do that to all 'baby' Glocks that that stay here. I had a 30 that came with an extended slide release and my big old thumb knuckle was hitting it occasionally; and I don't shoot thumbs-forward. I replaced it with the OEM part and the problem vanished.

Like Lennie I will err on the side of penetration. If my experience with the emergency use of handguns is any indication, plan for the worst case instead of the best one. I like a 230 grain TC bullet around 900 fps.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lennie

I carried a 30SF for a few years, including in the woods. With the Buffalo Bore 255 grain +P hard cast round, it would be fine for any critter walking around in my woods. I started a thread here. The downside is that the gun is known for not being able to digest lead semi-wadcutters due, I have read, to the slide-to-frame geometry. The rim of the ejected case hits, and leaves a crescent shaped ding on, the flat part of the front of the SWC, causing a malfunction. A few people have indicated that they can make it work in theirs, but most can't.

I don't have any experience with the S version or the Gen 4.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buy a Glock 29. Add Buffalo Boar Outdoorsman Load in the 220 gr hard cast variety. It’ll put down any varmint you might encounter. 🤠

The Buffalo Bore 45 acp Outdoorsman Load is not too shabby either. I’ve killed several big hogs with it here at the Ranch.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222Sako, 257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 264mag, 64 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.