Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Traps work well. Had one trap get about 45 several years ago. That was over the summer. Trick is to kill a few and put them in the container. The live bees smell carpenter bee and come on in never to leave. It as fun as shooting them and not as rewarding as hearing that Thud when you connect with a badminton racquet but very effective.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem is not so much the bees boring holes as it is the woodpeckers tearing apart the structure to get at the bees.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They've infested my tool shed, and it seems like the more you kill, the more that take their place. I use a badmitton racket, and am now on the last one out of a set of four that we bought years ago. Yesterday afternoon, I killed 10 in one spot without ever moving. Have probably killed 50 already this year. I really should be spraying the bastids and not letting them do their dirty work.

As to pollinating crops, yes they do, and that is the main reason I've never sprayed them.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I [bleep] them with my pellet gun, pump it up with no pellets. The blast of air would blow them to pieces.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The hard way, IN FLIGHT. Not a very good kill ratio, but it's fun and improves one's wing shooting!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
i use a pellet gun or a boat paddle

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live in a clear redwood sided house those 1x8 t&g boards are expensive! I HATE CARPENTER BEES!

Life member of the "Antler Club Gun Club"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Spray with Fipronil containing insecticides. Kills em dead!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of last years bee hunts. Fun for an hour or so. Expensive ammo though.

Never got around to building traps. Need to do that and get a couple badminton rackets. Also want to get some shot and try rolling my own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Are you using the shot shells that are like a little brass shotgun shell, with the case opening to let the shot out?

Sitting here right now as a matter of fact.

I dont like the CCI's with the shot cup. I haven't patterned the shot, but my success rate really goes down when shooting at the carpenter bees. I prefer the Federal that has the crimped end. Just guessing, but probably kill twice as many with the Federal. I'm shooting a cheap Heritage with a 6" barrel.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had never seen this kind of bee until I was visiting my son in Missouri last year. There were hundreds around his house. I found a box of 22 shot shells, the crimped kind, and a Ruger 22/45 in the kitchen and went to work. Great fun. At close enough range they’d just disappear with wings and a few pieces floating down.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got a couple of the traps out, and while they do catch a few, they don't make a dent in the population.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A shot of WD40 in the hole when you know they're in there takes care of them.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by mirage243
I just spent over a 100 bucks at Midway for some upgraded ammo. 11 pounds of #12 shot, some 451 gas checks, and overwad cards. Hotrod Lincoln is to blame. I'm gonna really shwack em next week. 😁

I've got them in my barn. For the last few years I've been using crushed walnut hull polishing media... the stuff from my case polisher. I can shoot them inside the barn and it doesn't cause any damage. 10' is about my maximum effective range.
My best day has been 16 for 18 shots. Look forward to it every year... it's a hoot!

11lbs of shot should last awhile,lol.

What are you loading the walnut in?

Seems like a good use for a .410 Judge..

I load 357 using wads cut from the styrofoam trays that steaks are packaged on. Use the mouth of a fired casing to cut the wads. Sometimes I'll put a light wipe of silicone caulking on the overshot wad. I need to load some in 44s to see if that works any better.
I've got a 45/410 Contender barrel, I might load a few rounds with walnut hulls instead of shot and with the petals cut off of the wads... might become my long range load for pass shooting. Lol

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting a pellet gun without a pellet can ruin it.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ring3

One of last years bee hunts. Fun for an hour or so. Expensive ammo though.

Never got around to building traps. Need to do that and get a couple badminton rackets. Also want to get some shot and try rolling my own.

That's a classic fu ck ing picture right there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Take a dead one and hang it from a string over a patio and it'll draw in others

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
They want to eat my log cabin. I went to WalMart today and bought two badminton racquets. You can get better racquet speed with the badminton than with the tennis racquet.

I got 9 of 'em today, can't recover all the corpses. May get a few more before sunset.

Hang some kinda small to med. size paper bags stuffed with something to make them a full shape with a length of string under porches and eves. They llok like hornets nest and keep carpenter bees away. They have worked pretty good for me for 3 years now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

How is this for a fake hornet nest? I just hung it up 5 minutes ago.
Sounds just crazy enough to work. Damn, am I sick of the bees and the woodpeckers messing up my house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to have a patio roof made out of logs, and the carpenter bees liked to burrow into the logs. After a year or two looking at a couple holes they had made just over the patio door, I decided to do something about it. When they returned that year, I waited until one went into the burrow, and I put a cork into the hole. Thought I was done with that, but then pretty soon I could see the cork slightly moving, and I put 2 and 2 together. So, I got a drill with a small bit, drilled a small hole through the center of the cork, stuck a thin spray can tube into the hole, and sprayed wd40 into it. Waited a while, and when I pulled out the cork, about half the effing thing was eaten away. Danged carpenter bee was making great headway into eating her way out of my trap.

No more bees used that burrow after that.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (160user, 12344mag, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 27 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,442
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.