Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by hunter5325
The “hype” isn’t based on their glass, it’s based on their rugged internals which are unmatched at their price range. Pretty simple really

Originally Posted by IZH27
The reputation is not in quality of glass but in the durability of the internal components and repeatability of adjustments. If a shooter is looking for those two things in a scope they offer great performance for the dollars invested.

I find these comments somewhat funny. I thought the scope was used for seeing and aiming to hit the target? Wouldn't that make the glass quality most important?

Different priorities, I'm primarily a big game and predator hunter and was raised on the MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range). I sight my scope for the cartridge/load appropriately, know the trajectory and hold accordingly. Works surprisingly well out to 450-500 yards, although lots less room for error beyond 400, wind becomes a real factor.

I need a reliable, compact and lightweight scope. Since 1990 the Leupold Vari XIII, VXIII, V3 or V3i has been all I have needed. The one VX3 2.5-8x36 has been to South Africa twice, somewhat abused in the Land Cruiser and by the hunt staff. AOK. I am proud that my rifles wear scopes that bear the golden ring.

I guess I'm not interested in the SS line. There is definitely a SS cult on the Fire though.

Funny how perspectives differ. Would you still think the glass quality is most important if the scope could not be relied upon to consistently "aim to hit the target"? The interesting thing is, that neither glass quality nor mechanical function are discrete "yes or no", "black or white", "on or off" type of characteristics. There is a scale of optical quality and a scale of mechanical reliability and precision. We all have to decide where on each scale we require our scopes to fall. For me, I'm happy with the optical quality of almost any of today's scopes, so middle of the scale or higher is perfectly fine for my needs. When it comes to mechanical reliability and precision, I demand that my scopes hold zero and adjust correctly. Not just most of the time, but every time. That means that for me, I want my scopes to fall in the top end of the mechanical quality scale. Others may have different priorities, and that's fine with me.

So to use your phraseology, I guess I'm just not really interested in the Leupold line, for the most part (except for very specific applications), but there definitely is a "golden ring" cult on the Fire and elsewhere. wink

Thats where I'm at too,it needs to track well and track reliably every time. I gave up on leupolds after too many failures to even hold zero or adjust properly. Would i love leupold to get their chidt together? Hell yes. Who wouldnt? Statements like ab2506's actually make me wonder how much experience a guy like that really has. Probably not too damn much, especially at longer range shooting. Hell, ive had most of my leupolds give up the ghost at the range just shooting 100 yard targets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Three buddies have SS’s a 6x and two 10x. I’m not impressed at all with their glass or clarity.

You get used to it. At first the glass was a major turnoff, but I’ve ran one hard for one year now, and the thing tracks like a NF. Very impressed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by hunter5325
The “hype” isn’t based on their glass, it’s based on their rugged internals which are unmatched at their price range. Pretty simple really

Originally Posted by IZH27
The reputation is not in quality of glass but in the durability of the internal components and repeatability of adjustments. If a shooter is looking for those two things in a scope they offer great performance for the dollars invested.

I find these comments somewhat funny. I thought the scope was used for seeing and aiming to hit the target? Wouldn't that make the glass quality most important?

Different priorities, I'm primarily a big game and predator hunter and was raised on the MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range). I sight my scope for the cartridge/load appropriately, know the trajectory and hold accordingly. Works surprisingly well out to 450-500 yards, although lots less room for error beyond 400, wind becomes a real factor.

I need a reliable, compact and lightweight scope. Since 1990 the Leupold Vari XIII, VXIII, V3 or V3i has been all I have needed. The one VX3 2.5-8x36 has been to South Africa twice, somewhat abused in the Land Cruiser and by the hunt staff. AOK. I am proud that my rifles wear scopes that bear the golden ring.

I guess I'm not interested in the SS line. There is definitely a SS cult on the Fire though.

Funny how perspectives differ. Would you still think the glass quality is most important if the scope could not be relied upon to consistently "aim to hit the target"? The interesting thing is, that neither glass quality nor mechanical function are discrete "yes or no", "black or white", "on or off" type of characteristics. There is a scale of optical quality and a scale of mechanical reliability and precision. We all have to decide where on each scale we require our scopes to fall. For me, I'm happy with the optical quality of almost any of today's scopes, so middle of the scale or higher is perfectly fine for my needs. When it comes to mechanical reliability and precision, I demand that my scopes hold zero and adjust correctly. Not just most of the time, but every time. That means that for me, I want my scopes to fall in the top end of the mechanical quality scale. Others may have different priorities, and that's fine with me.

So to use your phraseology, I guess I'm just not really interested in the Leupold line, for the most part (except for very specific applications), but there definitely is a "golden ring" cult on the Fire and elsewhere. wink

Thats where I'm at too,it needs to track well and track reliably every time. I gave up on leupolds after too many failures to even hold zero or adjust properly. Would i love leupold to get their chidt together? Hell yes. Who wouldnt? Statements like ab2506's actually make me wonder how much experience a guy like that really has. Probably not too damn much, especially at longer range shooting. Hell, ive had most of my leupolds give up the ghost at the range just shooting 100 yard targets.

Freely admit that my longest game shot was 500. Got the holdover right and elevation wise the bullet was dead on. The wind was higher than estimated and the bullet struck too far back. Fortunately it was a quick followup and recovery.

Don't do any long distance (Over 500) shooting period, never said I did, hence I dont need to dial scopes to hit what I hunt.

How do you break scopes at 100? Perhaps your experience should be questioned?

As I said, I don't want big, heavy scopes and I don't need to dial the scope for my use. YMMV.

If I ever decide to shoot PRC, or something similar, I'll re-examine my scope selection. Until then, I'm happy with the Leupold V3.

Buy whatever makes you happy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Seriously? That's a legitimate question?

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Off the top of my head, I’ve used at least 7 brands of scopes. From $60 Chinese specials to $600+. Numerous versions of several. Not once has glass quality ever cost me a shot opportunity. However, busted scope internals have cost me from hitting where I was aiming and was confirmed by the manufacturer with their rebuild. Care to guess the brand? Small hint, it had a golden ring.

I should include that it wasn’t the only time optics of this brand were returned. I’m down to 3 of their scopes now.

Last edited by thin_man; 04/08/20.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by teal

Seriously? That's a legitimate question?

Like i said, he obviously lacks any experience. There are a lot of guys ive known like that. I wont hold it against him. Guys shoot a box of ammo every year and think they have enough experience to reply to a thread like this. Its pretty laughable. These are also the same guys that need to re-zero their scopes and blame it on the stock warping or maybe "the scope got bumped". Theres no explaining poor tracking and wondering zero to these leupold lovers.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
BSA,

I agree completely. For most hunters I know, 2 boxes of shells will last 3-4 seasons. Most of these hunters walk no more than a hundred or so yards to their stands. As you mention, when shots are missed (typically much less than 150 yards around here), excuses are made. My favorites are the "scope got bumped", and "these bullets are crap, I know I hit that deer". This certainly varies by region, but honestly most hunters don't shoot the yearly round count that some on this forum do.

If I were to bet, a majority of the scope sales are made to this type of market. Leopold and all the scope companies know this, which is why they are getting away with crappy quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, I'm hardly qualified to speak here as I'm just getting into dialing.

I've always run Leupolds, the 2.5x8 being a favorite. I like they're size, weight and clarity.
But where I hunt Blacktails, there's plenty of opportunities for shots well over 300 yards and I feel I need to do better than just holding over....which is just guessing, for the most part.

So I sprang for a couple of SS 6X MQ's from a fellow 24HR campfire member.
One is on the Ruger American .223 and the other rides on my Kimber Hunter 7mm-08.
With no time or place to shoot POA/POI, I ran the calc's through a ballistic program and sighted in.

After a quick morning hunt, I set up my steel plates at 300 and 400 yard (12" plates).
I dialed for 300 and shot twice - dead center X2 (7mm).
Dialed for 400 and sent two - one dead center, the other I pulled slightly but still was well on steel!
I'm jazzed!! This is exactly what I wanted and it ran perfectly.

Right now the range goes to 400 yards, but as soon as I can snag another 12" plate I'll go to 500.
I'm heading there in just a few minutes with a bucket full of .223 rounds and a goodly pile of 7-08"s. And I'll be burning a ton of ammo there all spring and summer.

The SWFA scopes have (for me) shown that they are as capable as many folks here have claimed,
Yes they're big. Yes they're heavy. I can live with that. The glass to me is just as good as my Leupolds and I really like the reticle.....it works for me.

By summer's end, I'll have a lot more experience with these scopes and dialing. If it works as well as I believe it will, there will be a couple of their 3x9's purchased during the Black Friday sale.

Not all of my rifles need to dial... several will stay slim and trim with set and forget scopes on deck - all are Leupolds and I'm very comfortable with that. Use what works for you.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 3x9 SWFA for Christmas, and it was sold without being mounted. Tunnel vision at 3X and the blurry edges coupled with terrible eyebox sent it packing quick. Maybe those things are not important to some, but the list of negative attributes was just too long for me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Terryk
I got a 3x9 SWFA for Christmas, and it was sold without being mounted. Tunnel vision at 3X and the blurry edges coupled with terrible eyebox sent it packing quick. Maybe those things are not important to some, but the list of negative attributes was just too long for me.

What do you use in place of it?

Semper Fi
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

Just goes to show that everyone's eyes are different; I can somewhat agree with the tunneling, but have not noticed the rest.

I'm enjoying the 1-6 HD I got from you, thanks again!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Tough to properly assess eyebox without mounting a scope.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I , like a lot of folks do notice tunneling with the 3-9 when set on 3. When set higher than three tunneling disappears for me. I've no quarrels with the eyebox. I plan on buying more 3-9"s in the near future.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Too big and heavy for me on a hunting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Different strokes. It happens to be the lightest scope I own now, but all of my rigs are setup for dialing up and back. This 223ai with a 21" pacnor mtn contour is super well balanced in a Bansner sheep hunter with the 6x SS riding on top. Use it for coyote calling and prairie dogs to 400. If you paint them they look slim and trim lol.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
So, I'm hardly qualified to speak here as I'm just getting into dialing.

I've always run Leupolds, the 2.5x8 being a favorite. I like they're size, weight and clarity.
But where I hunt Blacktails, there's plenty of opportunities for shots well over 300 yards and I feel I need to do better than just holding over....which is just guessing, for the most part.

So I sprang for a couple of SS 6X MQ's from a fellow 24HR campfire member.
One is on the Ruger American .223 and the other rides on my Kimber Hunter 7mm-08.
With no time or place to shoot POA/POI, I ran the calc's through a ballistic program and sighted in.

After a quick morning hunt, I set up my steel plates at 300 and 400 yard (12" plates).
I dialed for 300 and shot twice - dead center X2 (7mm).
Dialed for 400 and sent two - one dead center, the other I pulled slightly but still was well on steel!
I'm jazzed!! This is exactly what I wanted and it ran perfectly.

Right now the range goes to 400 yards, but as soon as I can snag another 12" plate I'll go to 500.
I'm heading there in just a few minutes with a bucket full of .223 rounds and a goodly pile of 7-08"s. And I'll be burning a ton of ammo there all spring and summer.

The SWFA scopes have (for me) shown that they are as capable as many folks here have claimed,
Yes they're big. Yes they're heavy. I can live with that. The glass to me is just as good as my Leupolds and I really like the reticle.....it works for me.

By summer's end, I'll have a lot more experience with these scopes and dialing. If it works as well as I believe it will, there will be a couple of their 3x9's purchased during the Black Friday sale.

Not all of my rifles need to dial... several will stay slim and trim with set and forget scopes on deck - all are Leupolds and I'm very comfortable with that. Use what works for you.

If you are like me, you'll dial back down to shoot 100 yards and notice a perfect return to zero. Also after you shoot out to 400 and 500 in the next few months, you'll be looking for smaller diameter plates. I made a tree just for shooting at 400-450 yards and the biggest plate is 12", the smallest is 2". With a good rifle and dependable optic, i can repeatedly hit the 2" target. I sold my savage 6.5 CM 16SS combo to a coworker and he shot that rifle at the tree for the first time and asked if he should shoot at the "big target first". I said, no aim for the 4" target. I scribed the turret of the SS for different yardages and i told him, as long as he had the dial on the 4, he would hit the target. Sure enough, be hits the 4" plate 8 out of 10 times. Not bad for a new shooter and new to him rifle. He asked if he should try the 2" target and i said sure, go for it. No hits on that one, but if he practices more, it will be possible for him to hit it. Again, good accurate rifle and dependable rifle scope and you can do quite a bit. Now, should i tell you guys about my bosses $1,800.00 leupold and the goat rodeo he had that same day? Lets just say its a good thing my tree has 12" targets on it...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,

Yup, I always run the turret back to my zero after engaging targets further out.
No surprises that way.

I waited too long before going out today. I wanted that nice warm 60* + weather we had predicted.
I got it OK, but along with it came the wind and I got to use the windage mils in the reticle for hold off.
It worked just fine until 400 yards.... the little 60 gr Hornadys I was slinging were parachutes in the gusts.
The 7-08 did much better all around. Elevation values for both was spot on.

I'll be loading longer, heavier bullets in the .223 soon. I just finished mod'ing a magazine for them.
I have two Kimber Hunters - the 7-08 above and a 6.5 CM that I really like.
Both will probably wear SWFA 3x9's by the end of the year. They're both hunting rifles and as such will be running something appropriate for their task - steel is for fun and learning.

BT53

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
BSA,

Yup, I always run the turret back to my zero after engaging targets further out.
No surprises that way.

I waited too long before going out today. I wanted that nice warm 60* + weather we had predicted.
I got it OK, but along with it came the wind and I got to use the windage mils in the reticle for hold off.
It worked just fine until 400 yards.... the little 60 gr Hornadys I was slinging were parachutes in the gusts.
The 7-08 did much better all around. Elevation values for both was spot on.

I'll be loading longer, heavier bullets in the .223 soon. I just finished mod'ing a magazine for them.
I have two Kimber Hunters - the 7-08 above and a 6.5 CM that I really like.
Both will probably wear SWFA 3x9's by the end of the year. They're both hunting rifles and as such will be running something appropriate for their task - steel is for fun and learning.

BT53

It was beautiful here today. In the 70's and very minimal wind. You should try the 77TMK in your 223. They are pretty good for shooting longer range. No where near as good as a creed or your 7mm08, but pretty good for a 22 cal. It looks like youve learned, like i have, that the SWFA SS isnt all "hype". Its a pretty useful tool.

Just to show some of the guys that think these scopes are all hype, this is what I'm talking about when I say it returns back to zero perfectly:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This target was shot with my clunky ol savage that I recently sold to my work mate. Yes, the rifle is accurate and it works well, but it's no match for my CTR's with Nightforce scopes...

Here's that 400 yard target I was talking about:
Yeah, it's the dark spot in the hill side....

Here's a closer view of my shooting tree:

It takes a good tracking scope to put the bullets on steel, even at a sedate 400 yards...

This is a fun target picture of mine that shows the Nightforce does no better than the $300.00 SWFA SS when it was on top of my Savage 12fv 6.5 cm:

This is how my CTR returned to zero after shooting 400 yards. Yes, thats with my Nightforce. Try that with your Leupold..:

Here's a pic where I engraved the numbers in the turret to mark yardages for its pet load:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those 77 TMKs have been excellent for me as well out of AR’s and a Ruger Predator. Good all around Bullet that works well at AR Mag length as well.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It always cracks me up, when people start griping about not having crystal clear glass on a $300, or less scope. These things are made to be tough and to guide bullets. If you are worried about the clarity on the sides of the view, then that tells me that you are using it as a spotting scope, instead of a bullet-steering device. LMAO! This crap would be real funny if it was not for the fact that it is ridiculous

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 35, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.