Hop To
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
37 and looking to build one now. Interested due to reduced recoil over the 300 win and flatter than the 30-06 but still not completely sold.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have a M70 sporter in 7mm RM . Nice rifle but burns too much powder for all you get out of it. Prefer the .308 in eastern Canada. Also I'm 65

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of the 7 RM! I've had two 7RM and a 7 RSAUM. I still have my 1885 Browning High Wall in 7 Mag. I bought one of the Model 70's back when they came back out with the controlled round feed and took it to the NWT for a Dall Sheep. That gun was a tack driver with 162 grain Hornady BTSP hand loads. Killed my Dall at a little over 400 yards with it. I never should have sold the darn gun.

My 1885 High Wall is my baby. I have vowed never to get rid of her. She's primarily a safe queen now, but I take her out and let her run every now and then. It wears a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40 in Conetrol mounts and shoots the 145 and 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams darn near into the same hole. My father gave me a couple of boxes of old Federal Premium 150 Gr. BT ammunition once that a deceased friends wife had given him. I shot that ammo once and was pleasantly surprised to see that it shot nearly as well as my handloaded Grand Slams and at 3150 FPS. I've been pretty stingy with that ammo and I think I have one box left.

I'm 60 years old, but purchased my first 7 Mag at age 32.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the 7mm RM and have had one for 25 years or so. I've used it a good deal but find myself using my .280 Rem more for deer and antelope and my 30-06 more for elk these days partly because these rifles are a bit lighter and handier (my 7 RM has a 25 inch barrel and weighs 8.25 lbs). I'm 72.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 63 I bought my first 7mag in 1994.Other cartridges I hunted deer with prior to that since 9yrs old was a 25-06,30-30 a 222.The 7mag quickly became a favorite.It shoots really flat,hits really hard,easy to load for and very accurate.Recoil was very manageable too.I hunted with it exclusively for 14yrs,killed a bunch of deer and hogs with it.I never felt over-gunned or under-gunned hunting with the 7mag.I would put it as an all around cartridge.Shooting bullets from 120-175gr and now even heavier,you really can use it for hunting a wide variety of game.Then I confess,I became a gun addict.I bought a 7STW,300WSM,270Win,300 Win Mag,30-06,308 Win,338-06...............I guess I became a looney.Let's see,I have multiple rifles in some of those cartridges.(4)-7mags,(4)30-06's,(2)308Win's and (2)300Win Mags.So It looks like I kinda have some favorite's.With four of each in the 7mag and 30-06,I would say,for most hunting,those two cartridges would cover just about anything most people would hunt and performance on game with like weight bullets seem to be close to each other too.I'd be happy with either one if I only had those choices.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Dec., 1992 I bought a Custom Super Grade Win. 70 in 7mm RM. In July, 1993 I found a longitudinal crack in the receiver and the gun went back to the factory in the States. Up to this time accuracy had been spotty with 1500 rounds through it.
In April, 1994 the rifle was returned, rebuilt with new receiver, barrel and stock but with the original serial number. I assume the latter was to facilitate getting it through customs.
A year or two later I took it hunting and got a moose with it. Since then the round count had gone up to 1500+ by Oct., 2017. It has since remained unfired.

In my opinion it is an adequate cartridge when placed correctly. I have several other cartridges that do the job as well so I don't expect to ever hunt with it again given that I am now coming up on 83 y.o.

Jim

P.S. The current rifle had a slow barrel. A Nosler book max. load of R22 with 160 grain bullets was 450 f.p.s. slower than the book figure. As a result my loadings since then have always been heavier than book suggestions with no apparent affect on cases.

Last edited by 1OntarioJim; 04/09/20. Reason: add more info.;correct a date.
H
hws Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Got a Ruger No.1 in 7mm Mag in 1980 and it has been my primary big game rifle since then. I'm now 74. I have several other rifles but it sees as much time afield as the others combined.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My main rifle since I gave the old 270 to son in law. I'm 61.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that the earlier poster that called it a "Geezer cartridge" is onto something. 71 my last birthday and being a geezer and 7mm RM owner since the mid 60's qualifies me. I wasn't flush enough back then to afford a bunch of different rifles and I knew that some day I'd be out hunting an elk or a moose in addition to our Midwest deer. I'd borrowed a .30-30 and it was too little. Then I borrowed a .300 WM and it was too big. The 7mm RM was just right. My elk were on the meat pole right along side my buddy's .300 WM and .338 WM elk, so what's not to like? Then one cold November deer season the recoil of that big 7 compressed the down in my parka and that scope back into my forehead knocking some sense into me. All I was doing was blowing the heck out of the woods behind the deer that I was shooting. I built up a similar 7mm-08 and that 7mm RM hasn't been out hunting since. I'm too old to run those mountains any longer and it's a travesty to let that 7# all up 7 Magnum (tuned, turned, Brown Precision Kevlar, hard chrome, camo, Euro Swarovski) sit in the gun safe, but that's our story.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought my 45 year old son (then 30) a Savage 110 beater 7mm Rem Mag 15 years ago for $225 and reblued the metal and shimmed the out of alignment receiver screw threads. He has killed a bunch of deer and elk with it using Federal's old 160 gr TBBC and Speer Mag Tip handloads. It works for him and absolutely won't part with it. Subsequently, I bought a Weatherby Mark V chambered in 7mm Weatherby with intentions to rebarrel to 7mm RM or STW. It shot so well that I decided to leave it as is and now have two. If I had a Rem Mag, I wouldn't bother with the Wby Mag. I'll stick with the Roy just because.... Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
45 years old

Have three - Out of all my rifles, I've hunted the most in the grand scheme of things with my Ruger Boat Paddle 7mm mag - Taken shots within spitting distance on big game and a couple deer out to 600 yards. Been all over the US and S. Africa.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My uncle who is a wise man and a great hunter used to say that a young guy who is in good shape and has great speed and endurance generally will do very well in a street fight. It is that cruiserweight champ. The 7 Remington is the cruiserweight champion. I have three 7 Remingtons but I have only used two of them to hunt with recently. I am 51 years old.
I know some great hunting guides like Kirk and Cole Ellis out of Devil's Mountain Lodge that use the 7 Remington magnum exclusively. They have never had a problem.

I have used the 7 Rem Magnum to great effect and only had one issue that was due to operator error and a freak September snow storm. When I was 19 years old, I shot a 55 inch bull moose at less than 20 yards with 175 grain partitions and did what I always thought was priority when I was growing up of busting down the shoulder of the moose. The upper should shot had been dynamite on four moose that I had shot earlier. The moose was covered with about 2 inches of frozen ice armor-we were being pounded by freezing rain- and the bullets weren't opening and the weather conditions were so miserable that the shock didn't seem to work as well. I shot the moose four times through the shoulder and then when the moose figured out that I was the cause of the pain and squared up to charge me, I shot him right between the eyes. I was out of ammo and while I was butchering up the moose by myself, I saw a sow grizzly and two grown 2 year old cubs at about 350 yards reading the smells of the wind that was blowing in their direction. I was 1/2 mile from the camp on Tyone Creek and had no more rifle ammo and had left my trusty 44 Rem Mag blackhawk at camp. I thought how I might be stranded in and have to walk the 45 miles out to Eureka and I figured that I better scare off those grizzlies. One of my mentors, Al Taylor, told me that bears don't have the best eyesight and upon occasion will run from what they think is a bigger bear. I saw an 8ft dead spruce tree with a root structure that was near the moose. The bears came closer and closer. Finally, the big straw colored sow was only 45 yards away from the killsite. It was about 3:30PM but the snow squall and freezing rain was continuing to blast everything. I picked up the tree with the roots up in the air about 10ft up and carried it directly at the big sow. I yelled bloody murder and the sow thinking she had ran into a true 10ft monster, popped her jaws once, turned a 180 and started running flat out away from me. She swatted her two cubs who got out ahead of her and I watched them disappear into the snow/sleet covered hills 500 yards away. They never came back.

We ended up trading that 7 Rem Mag for another Ruger blackhawk to Al Taylor who shot a 9 foot brown bear that was trying to kill the chickens in his daughter's chicken coop. Al who had used 30/30s most of his life, commented,"It blew some of the lungs out of that durty booger." He used it to dispatch four more problem bears before Al passed on to his homestead in the sky.

One of the best moose hunters and a genuinely Alaskan sized character used a 7 Remington Mag in a Sako Finnbear to kill probably over 100 moose. Pat Madros Sr., was a giant of a man who took me under his wing when I moved out and taught in Nulato. I will never forget how he could carry a full barrel of gas on his shoulder from his truck to his boat. Pat was a Koyukon Athabaskan was about 6ft 1 and 280lbs and had hands the size of those Costco rotisserie chickens. He was a Navy vet and a big supporter of the local school. Pat kept the village in order. Pat knew every channel on the Yukon, the Koyukuk, the Kaiyuh and most other rivers in the region. He could run those rivers in the dark at night and I went with him. He would use that Sako to take down moose for his entire clan and for folks who might not be good enough to "harvest" moose cleanly. He was dead nuts good with that rifle. He could call them in and he always had so many honey holes that you would see 10-20 big moose per day. You could get very picky hunting with him because he knew the country so well. He would hunt in many different areas of the river. I saw him personally take 7 different bulls with it. His rifle was accurate from 50 yards to 400 yards and would put the moose down right there. Pat often would allow the people he was hunting with to take the shot and then like a guide would provide a quick followup that was finish the moose. Pat knew all of the stories of the river and would talk about hunters, strange creatures, spirits, and legendary stories of the past. I left Nulato and moved into Fairbanks because my son decided that he liked computers and technology and my father and the rest of my family had moved there. Sometimes, when I am alone in the woods. I hear him. He had a big booming voice when in town but would speak softly in the woods showing his great respect to the land.

Last edited by kaboku68; 04/09/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just turned 64, and yes I guess I am a fan. I had a Savage several years ago, but traded it off for something else. Recently picked up a Ruger Hawkeye. Nice rifle. Shoots great.
Only killed one elk with the Savage, saving the 7 mag more for pronghorn and mule deer in open country.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a 300 Win Mag Model 700 12 or 14 years ago with the idea of building a custom 300 H&H ( because I'm a Looney). Time went by and I bought a 7 MM Mag new take off barrel for $35.00 and had Capitol Sports square up the action, lap the lugs and screw on the barrel. Glass bedded it in a B&C stock. Arnold returned the rifle in a couple of weeks and it shot consistent three shots touching, around 1/2" with the first load I tried using 160 grain Accu Bonds. Damn! Just out of curiosity, a year or so later I tried it again, just to see if history would repeat itself and sure enough it did. I had two great shooting 7 MM Mags in the safe. I killed an elk and 2 Mulies with those rifles. Both of the rifles had 26" SS barrels and weighed around 8.5 pounds, which didn't handle as well as my Model 70 FWT 270's and I really couldn't tell much difference in the effects on game at the ranges I limit myself to, usually less than 300 yards. My two sons now use these rifles exclusively and really like the 7MM Mag chambering, both have taken a trucks loads of game with them.Nothing That I can find wrong with the big 7MM, just stopped using it because I like lighter and handier rifles at 72 years old. Today I mainly shoot a 308 700 bedded in a McMillain Edge Classic or my 270 Win FWT in a McMillian in a FWT pattern stock, but am really liking my 6.5x55 Fieldcraft. Overall the 7MM Remington Magnum is one of the greats.

By the way I did build the 300 H&H, which has yet to be hunted, really not a lot better than the old 30 06. I like my 7X57 which is just to another over lapping chambering, but they are all fun!

Last edited by Switch; 04/09/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't believe the 7mm Rem Mag offers me anything I don't have in a .270 Win or a .30-06...….so I don't have one.....I'm 74

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bought a used Remington 700 BDL 12 years ago with the intention of swapping the barrel to 257 Wby. Made the mistake of shooting the donor and watched it print ragged holes with 3 different bullet weights. So I hunted it and it is one of the ones I will always have. It simply crushes animals. Deer, hogs, coyotes and black bear have fallen to that rifle. I am 50 years of age.
GreggH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess I could be considered a fan. I've 2, a Model 70 Classic Sporter and a Browning 1885. I'm 49.
BTW, if you haven't tried IMR 7977 in the 7RM you are missing out. Truly unbelievable accuracy with a 140 Partition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

Am working on an article involving 7mm big game rounds.

I am a big fan of the 7RM (and its kissin cousin the .280AI). I both shoot and hunt with one as much as I can. I am 52 years old.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
MD, I have had several starting in the early 70's.. My current one is probably close 30 years old.. It became my late wife's favorite big game rifle.. I still try and hunt each fall for mule deer or antelope with it.. One of my favorites..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not a fan. 61 years aged.

7 Wby dyed in the wool.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,486
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.