Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Lots of LH rifles in many different calibers. None is a 7MM. I have .280. Rem, .284, 7-08 though. Age 69 for another week.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by camdog

Lots of LH rifles in many different calibers. None is a 7MM. I have .280. Rem, .284, 7-08 though. Age 69 for another week.

Trying to help here.

I googled "left hand 7 Rem Mag" and found these results

Gun Broker - 700 BDL 7 Mag

T C Dimension 7 Mag

Rem 700 SPS 7 Mag

Win Custom Shop 7 Mag

Tikka T3 X 7 Mag

*My rifles are R H but I have and had 700 BDLs in 7 Mag and NO problems.

I have a T3X 7 RM now and love it.

Maybe one of those in the list will suit you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Windfall
I'm too old to run those mountains any longer and it's a travesty to let that 7# all up 7 Magnum (tuned, turned, Brown Precision Kevlar, hard chrome, camo, Euro Swarovski) sit in the gun safe, but that's our story.

Hey, set that one outside the front door - I'll pick it up later this morning. laugh

No kidding. Talk about an elk rig.

That's an everything rig.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
H
1 in 7 mag a Bansner model 70, my only big game rifle for a few years, have gone through a few since then but still have my 7mag. I’m 51 and had the gun for over 20 years

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have a M77 7Mag that dad bought in '73. Nice rifle and good elk cartridge, but more that I need for deer So it doesn't come out of the safe much any more.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm 58.

I have a very early 700 that belonged to my West Texas rancher uncle. He used it on untold numbers of whitetails, javelinas, coyotes, and anything else he felt needed to be killed. When my father, brother, and I hunted with him, we had strict instructions that any feral dog we saw on his ranches was to be killed on sight, so I'm sure that he shot a bunch of them with it, too.

It was in a laminated stock with a high-comb rollover cheekpiece when I got it. I put it into factory Tupperware that I got for a $25 donation to my club's youth program. In that stock, it's sub-MOA with cheap 150-grain Federal PowerShok ammo. I've put less than two boxes of factory ammo through it and no handloads. I've taken it as a spare on a couple of elk hunts but I haven't killed anything with it. I'm thinking of putting together an open country deer hunt in memory of my uncle, and it will be the one that I use.

I'd use it more if the load data wasn't so squirrelly.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 04/10/20.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a great round, basically a glorified 30-06. So what's not to like ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

Am working on an article involving 7mm big game rounds.

I'm a fan when talking long action rifles with 24" barrels. As I live in the southeast, mine gets hunted pretty much only when I go to open areas like clearcuts, pipeline ROWs, or pastures. I'm 41 years old and my rifle is my dad's old M77 Tanger 7mmRM that I refurbished with a Lilja and a Mcmillan some years back. The load for the last 10 years has been the 160gr Accubond at approximately 3,000fps. I can think of nine other 7mm rifles my father, brother, and I have bought in the last 20 years, one was my brother's 7mmRM he bought as a teenager around 2000, with the other eight being various short actions chambered in 7mm-08 or 7mm SAUM.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My rainny day rifle is a 7 RemMag 700LSS, it has killed tons of hogs, deer & 3 elk. A lucky rifle. I'm 75.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 458Win
It's a great round, basically a glorified 30-06. So what's not to like ?

My thoughts exactly.

Phil have you seen it used much on brown bear? I carried a 7RM as a fishing rifle when I guided in Alaska and thought the 175 partitions would be a lot better than a rock or fly rod if I ever needed it. But I have no idea on it's effectiveness and would grab a 375 way before I would a 7 mag. to hunt bear.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I posted before, not a 7mm magnum user but I will certainly read JB's article. I seem to learn something from all his writing. Hope it includes some of the newer propellants

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by shootinurse

I'm 68, and my feelings pretty well mirror this. Shot in a friend's 7 mag over 20 years ago and it was fine, but I don't see the need for the excessive powder usage and muzzle blast.

The 7x57 works well to 300+ yards, as does the '06, 257 Roberts, 250 Savage, the various 6.5s, etc.

Did shoot a .300WM a few years back. Two shots. Never again. But, I will never dispute someone's choice of cartridge or caliber. As Red Green says, "Remember, keep your stick on the ice. We're all in this together."

Agree up to > 300 yds. What about 400 plus ?

I have killed deer at 12' (feet) and out to 402 yds lasered with a 7 RM. The mags have more than 1 purpose . To push heavier bullets faster, ergo...flatter and BEFORE monos...with more penetration.
And to push lighter bullets EVEN faster and EVEN flatter.

For anyone who only hunts and shoots 300 yds and under the mags don't offer an advantage.

CERTAINLY and w/o doubt, I have killed many more deer UNDER 300 yds THAN 400 +..
The problem is WHERE I've hunted and hunt today, I never know how close or far away I will have a shot.

With a 7 Mag... it doesn't matter.

Not everyone has the same recoil tolerance. Many here don't believe me but it's true nonetheless. When shooting a 270 W or a 7 Mag.....I can't tell the difference in recoil.

We have some women who participate here and even mentioned IN this discussion that like and shoot the 7 Mag well.

** I kept my stick on the ice ** GRIN

Jerry

I'm not knocking the 7MM Mag, one of the great chamberings and my kids and I have hunted it a lot. I just don't have one at this time. We've had this conversation in the past, and still disagree about how flat the 7MM Mag is compared to say the .270 Win or 30 06. I really think you are kidding your self as there is only about 2"or 3" of difference at 500 yards, Two inches at 500 yards is no difference! Not trying to pick a fight, just my humble opinion. I lost a deer years ago due to long rang poor shooting on a windy day, leaving and animal to die a terrible death. Never again! I still think in horror about my poor judgement 50 years later. I always try to get closer than 250 yards
or less, even with a 7MM Mag. If the buck spots me and bolts, we'll meet another day. Some of my most enjoyable hunts have been with my 300 Savage or .54 round ball, shooing 100 yards or less after a long stalk. It is the hunt not the kill no matter what caliber you choose to use. Keep your stick on the ice Jerry!

Last edited by Switch; 04/10/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't own a 7mm magnum, but my father had a 7x61 S&H as his main hunting rifle. He had it made in 1960 on a mauser 98 action and if I remember correctly a Douglas barrel. very nice piece of wood with very fine line checkering. He killed mule deer, antelope and a elk with it, always worked. After my father died my son took it over so it's still being used in the family. It's pretty heavy and shoots very well.
I've never had the need for a magnum and have been using my Ruger #1 in 7x57 since the 70's. It's always worked for me, that and my .30-06. My father was 40 years old when he had it made. I'm well north of 70 now. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
51 and purchased my first one about 5 years ago. It shoots 140 accubonds into tiny little groups.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got two and never hunted either. I did however use a borrowed 7mm Rem assisting a friend in Texas on a cull hunt. Took a nice whitetail at 250 yds, bang flop! Can't argue with that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Switch][quote=jwall]

Within 300 yds the 7 Rem Mag offers no advantage.

CERTAINLY and w/o doubt, I have killed many more deer UNDER 300 yds THAN 400 +..
The problem is WHERE I've hunted and hunt today, I never know how close or far away I will have a shot.

With a 7 Mag... it doesn't matter.
-----------------------------------------------------

Switch said...

... and still disagree about how flat the 7MM Mag is compared to say the .270 Win or 30 06.

I really think you are kidding your self as there is only about 2"or 3" of difference at 500 yards, Two inches at 500 yards is no difference!

*** Not trying to pick a fight, just my humble opinion.*** I lost a deer years ago due to long rang poor shooting on a windy day, leaving and animal to die a terrible death. Never again! I still think in horror about my poor judgement 50 years later. I always try to get closer than 250 yards

Keep your stick on the ice Jerry!
------------------------------------------------------------

I say..

The trajectory diff we are talking about has to do with sighting in. I use MPBR +/- 400 yds..... +3 " at 100 yds.
I chrono all my hunting loads IN my rifles and their barrels. NO factory ammo.

I've used this MPBR since the 80s and am familiar with it. At 400 yds the drop below the cross hair is 7-9" depending on specific velocity AND bullet.

NO I'm not kidding, it is more than 2" at 500 yds.

** I'm not picking a fight either. "Poor shooting AND excess wind" are NOT the fault of the 7 Mag.

XO XO XO laugh laugh

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/10/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm 42.

When a trophy deer is on the agenda, a 7mm Rem Mag is what I grab, hands down.

I have a Rem 700 Stainless that with a Timney installed and set at 2.5#, is the most accurate, factory, big game rifle I have owned. That's a big statement but the rifle flat out shoots and I have tremendous confidence in it.

I also have a Mcwhorter Ti with Proof Barrel that does amazing things with 180 gr Bergers that is becoming a favorite.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JRS3

Good to see you here. Glad you chimed in.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 56.

I bought my first 7RM in 1982 - a Ruger 77 tanger. I bedded that rifle in the early 90s and discovered it was a tack driver. Of course it weighed north of 9lbs. I've owned 2 others and a couple of brethren (7WSM, 7SAUM, 280, 280 AI, 284 Win) in intervening years but decided a lightweight magnum 7 was a bit much with 160-175 full power loads. I then discovered Re 26 and the 270. Kind of made my 7RM looniness fade away. After my 270 was stolen, I replaced it with a 280 AI. Interestingly, I was looking at Kimber Montana 270s last night.

The 7RM is a great cartridge. After shooting more than a few deer with mine I decided I didnt need a 7RM to kill deer. After killing a few elk with a 270 and 308, I decided a 280 would do as good.

I'll bet I end up with another 270 before hunting season.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mule Deer,

Good luck extracting your information for your poll!
Lots of fence-sitters and cover-your-bases guys out there. Probably should have been worded Yes! No! or Depends on the time of the month!

Being a self-described "loonie" any maybe even the one who coined the term, perhaps this is what you were expecting???

Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 13 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.