Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all,

I have a New Haven classic stainless in .243 that I intend to use as a donor action to have a 6.5CM built. This will be the first gun I will not have in factory configuration besides a chassis gun and AR builds.

Barrel:
I know I want a 20inch Proof sendero lite barrel. I want it this short because I'm hiking through heavy brush and want it to be more handy through that stuff, and I reload so I think I can make up for some of the lost velocity. I like the carbon wrap because of better heat dissipation if I want to shoot it at the range, and that they are stiffer than steel. Plus it looks super cool, and I don't mind that added expense.

Stock:
I like the Mcmillan winchester varmit stock in edge fill. I like the stock because it has a shorter forend and I think that would look and balance better with the shorter tube, plus it has a more vertical grip and a palm swell. Similar to the Manners EH4, which I also like, but I don't think they inlet for winchester 70s anymore.

I want to keep this rifle weight minded. I know it won't be ultra-lightweight, but I am aiming for 6.5 lbs (lighter if possible) bare rifle. I'm plan to put my vx-5hd 2-10 on there with Talley lightweight rings to top it off.

My questions:

Have any of you converted a standard model 70 to a blind magazine? If so, how do you do that? What parts would I need? I am considering this for weight savings (minimal, but it counts) and it'll be a little bit more sealed up for the super crappy weather I hunt in.

If a blind magazine is not possible, or if you believe it is a terrible idea, do you have suggestions for lightweight bottom metal? The original gun has the 2-piece bottom metal, but I will be changing over to 1-piece if I go the bottom metal route.

Has anyone used a timney model 70 trigger? Is it worth the money over an adjusted new-haven trigger?

Do any of you have recommendations for a gunsmith who can put this rifle together for me and do a great job?

Do you know something else I don't know? Are there considerations that I am missing? A way you could save some more weight that I haven't thought of? I would like thoughts and opinions from you all.

Thank you in advance.

GB1

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The M70 trigger is very good when properly tuned and the open design is preferable over the Timney. I’m cringing at the thought of a stainless classic fitted with a carbon fiber barrel but that’s just me. Aluminum bottom metal is available and would weight about the same as the blind mag setup. Good luck with your build. I hope you enjoy it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Take a good look at a Rem 700 ADL and you'll see what will/would needs to be done to do what you want.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think your build sounds pretty well thought out to what you wanna accomplish. I’d look at the smiths here on the fire such as Shaen and Redneck. They’ve both built some great rifles I’ve seen here and stand behind their builds.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
PTG makes 1 piece aluminum bottom metal. Comes out to around the same weight as a blind mag.

I really like the simplicity of the Winchester trigger and a good Smith can tune one down to 2lbs and break like glass.

Last edited by jowens; 04/10/20.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like quite the project. Keep us posted on how it shoots. I'd do it differently, but that's just me.. Every build is a learning experience I guess... Good luck with it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go Fieldcraft in Kreedmire and never look back. Hint.

I'd not let Redneck rebarrel a glass of water,with a fresh straw. Hint.

LW's puke too easily. Hint.

That Reupold,would be amongst my last choices and I'd have to lose a VERY substantial bet,to suffer same. Hint.

Pressure,is pressure. Hint.

Proof would be amongst the last pieces of fhuqking schit I'd suffer. Hint.

"Heat dissipation" and "stiffer" are fhuqking Wives Tales. Hint.

Stock ergo's are subjective. The Sako/Remington/Winny Varmint stock is a nice pattern,but a schit choice there. Hint.

Shaen savvies rifles and knows WTF. Hint.

In fairness however...I've never been to Alaska,or seen a Winchester. Hint.

LAUGHING!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I swapped my 243 SS Classic Fwt into a Fwt pattern McMillan, w/blind bottom. Put an AL trigger-guard on, used to be available through Brownells, no clue if they still are.

If going 6.5Creed on that platform I'd have the gunsmith who does the bbl work cut the spacer out of the mag-box and shorten the bolt-stop and ejector to accommodate the longer stroke.

Leave the factory trigger in the rifle, let your bbl dude work over the factory trigger.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Glad to know Big Stick approves of my plans!

Horse1, did you use the same internal magazine for the new blind bottom stock? I'm still wrapping my head around how to do that swap, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

BSA1917, what would you do differently?

Thanks all for your comments so far.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 907brass
Glad to know Big Stick approves of my plans!

Horse1, did you use the same internal magazine for the new blind bottom stock? I'm still wrapping my head around how to do that swap, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

BSA1917, what would you do differently?

Thanks all for your comments so far.

First, I'd use a different scope, second, I'd look at the hunters compact edge stock, but that may just be me. Sounds like you are wanting a semi tactical build and trying to keep it light. I believe the hunters compact would be lighter in edge fill than the stock you mention. That, or you could use a Brown precision PoundR. Guaranteed to be light, but the grip may not be what you want. I prefer the open grip of the poundR, personally. I'm kind of oldschool though, so carry on. Sounds like you will have a nice build either way. I like the sound of the carbon wrapped barrel. Should be nice and light and very rigid and accurate and dissipate heat very well... As for triggers, I'd leave the original in there. If you don't have a smith that can fine tune the fu out of it and make it freeking outstanding, I'd find a different smith... They are very easy to fine tune. One of my favorite hunting triggers. I tune all of mine to 2.5 pounds for hunting. 2 pounds for competition...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder if the OEM issued 3"+ COAL latitude Fieldcraft magbox,will Smooch 147's,as issued? Hint.

I wonder if Fieldcrafts are available,as a blind magbox? Hint.

I wonder if a Fieldcrafts (5) 8x40 base fasteners are handy? Hint.

I wonder if a Fieldcrafts trigger is adjustable? Hint.

I wonder if a Fieldcraft will make weight? Hint.

I wonder if a Fieldcraft wearing a 1913 rail and max ring spacing,is "tough"? Hint.

I wonder if anyone that has ever been to Alaska,has ever seen a Fieldcraft? Hint.

I wonder if the MK 5 in '10x is SFP or FFP? Hint.

I wonder what reticle,the Reupold MK 5 '10x has? Hint.

I wonder if LW's break easily? Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy a badly botched blueprint,Fhuqk Show. Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've built a Classic Stainless M70 with a blind magazine. You will need a new magazine box, etc. and you may loose a round in capacity. When I changed stocks on the rifle, I went back to the hinged floorplate design. We had a lot "fun," my gunsmith and I getting the blind magazine to work right.
I don't understand the carbon wrap barrel. They don't dispel heat as well as metal. They can also make the rifle pretty muzzle light in a short barrel. That's the last thing I want to see in any big game rifle.
I much prefer the standard M70 trigger. Both my M70's have them. In fact, my custom 98 Mauser has a close copy.
I don't understand the fancy Leupold scope. A 6.5 lb. bare rifle is pretty light for long range shooting. If it were mine, I'd put more weight into the barrel, and put a lighter Leupold scope on it. E

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Going to an internal blind box you’ll go from 5 to 4. I believe I used the of mine came with and just shaved it down a bit so as not to have it contacting/flexing things.

The mag box is held in place via soft crush-fit into the well on the bottom the action. You're only concern going to blind magazine (box depth) is easily remedied with a file, Dremel, grinder, or belt sander.

I sold my one and only VX-6 2-12 because I didn't like the reticle (wide duplex) and IMO, it had too much parallax (yes, I focused it, but, focus and parallax are 2 different things). I wouldn't use the VX-5 2-10 for the same reasons, but that's just me, you're paying the bill here.

You're building a svelte rifle with a bbl profile that guarantees you won't be able to use a svelte stock profile. It's your $$, your build, your idea, but, the bbl profile seems to limit your stock choices to only those which run counter to your overall goal.

I love, love, love the M70 Fwt, but, if starting from scratch there's virtually nothing that will give you more top-quality features for less $$ than the Barrett Fieldcraft.

Last edited by horse1; 04/11/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP, If you are going to have a gunsmith / rifle builder do the work for you, I would recommend someone like Redneck here on 24HCF who "knows their way around" a Win M70. Specifically regarding trigger, I had a local gunsmith swap the factory M70 trigger for a Timney on a Left Hand M70 Classic. Later developed a problem with the 3 position safety. Root cause for the issue with the safety traced back to the Timney trigger not being properly fitted. Had Redneck convert back to the M70 factory trigger group. Properly tuned, the factory trigger was a good as the Timney. Data point of one. However, I am a believer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think I would go with a fluted barrel before the carbon fiber. I can picture having to add weight to the fore end to get the balance right with the carbon barrel. On a glass or composite stock it is pretty easy to shorten the fore end just cut off the end cap and glass it back on to the stock. May take some fillet to fair it up but usually not much. I would go with aluminum bottom metal as it would save some cost and the uncertainty that the conversion would feed well.

For bad weather the hinged bottom metal lets water out instead of trapping it like a blind magazine can. But you have obviously given it some thought and it is your rifle so go for it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I would take a look at Kevin Weaver of Weaver rifles. He builds a lot of model 70 customs and has built several for me including a 6.5 PRC with a proof carbon barrel and bansner stock. I kept the factory trigger he just tuned it for me and it’s great. I used a new haven classic stainless wsm action on this build.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I should say that I already have a kimber montana that fills the very-light niche for me and shoots very well with reloads. I know the fieldcrafts are excellent, but I feel no need to get one when I already have the little kimber that fills that void.
I also already have this vx5 on my .243, so moving it over is a cost saving measure for me.

BSA1917, yes I suppose am trying to find a bit of middle ground between a classic hunter and light target rifle.

Later season deer hunts are in lower ground in timber or muskegs, or on the beach. Those places I don't mind having a little heavier rifle, and in those places I usually have a good naturally occuring rest to shoot from.

Thank you for the feedback on blind magazines. I think I am going to look in to ptg metal, as that seems the easier conversion and less hassle. And good to hear on the triggers; I like them a lot and glad that they seem to be the better option.

Thank you all again for your insights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Montucky and Fieldcraft are light years apart,if/when talking short actions. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The Reupold is junk,no matter where/how it lands. Hint.

'Kiff is a fhuqking snake. Beware. Hint.

You are doing "GREAT". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I dont know about the blind magazine.
I have a 24" proof sedero lite 300wsm. Its built on a ss classic action with a McMillan HTG Edge stock with a kmw adjustable cheak piece. It weighs right at 7lbs.

Without the adjustable cheek piece I would guess it would be at or under 6.5lbs.

I just finally got all the parts to build its twin in 6.5cm with a 20" proof Sendero lite barrel.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jbuck
I dont know about the blind magazine.
I have a 24" proof sedero lite 300wsm. Its built on a ss classic action with a McMillan HTG Edge stock with a kmw adjustable cheak piece. It weighs right at 7lbs.

I just finally got all the parts to build its twin in 6.5cm with a 20" proof Sendero lite barrel.

jbuck, I sent you a PM. I'd love to see more info on your builds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 8 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.