Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am 70. My first center fire rifle was a .270. Later, I bought a 7mm Rem in Rem 700 ADL, tried it and found it did nothing my .270 did not do for me except use more powder and make more noise, so I sold it to a good friend who was going elk hunting. Have other .284 diameter rifles but no other 7mm Rem Mag.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My biggest take away so far is we're mostly a bunch of old farts. A 45 year-old here is pretty much a punk!

LOL...
Rex

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm nearly 62.

When I was 17, my buddy up the road came down with his motorcycle and invited me on for a ride. When we got to the first stop sign, I asked to get off, and have not been on a motorcycle since. I thanked him for the experience and walked home.

That was pretty much my experience with the 7mm Rem Mag. I had a friend who had one. I shot a couple of rounds and thanked him for the experience. That was it. At one point, I had a boss offer me a Rem 700 in the chambering that his wife wanted to get rid of from the back of the closet. No thanks.

I'm somewhat more mellow on the subject, now 30 years on. I just have no particular need for one. At the time, I had not bagged a deer farther than 20 yards from the muzzle. I had pounded my shoulder with a 12 GA slug and a 30-06. I didn't want or need anything more. "Flatter trajectory" doesn't register to someone who fires down on a deer from a treestand. Nowadays, I've broadened my horizons. I actually have a ground blind where a 250-yard shot is possible. However, it's all still whitetail, and what is on the other side of the deer really doesn't care. A 30-06 does the trick just fine.

I'm not going to knock 7mm Rem Mag. I'm not going to knock motorcycles. They're just not for me.

And the Question WAS.....

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

ummmm......ummmm, Where does your post fit ?

Jerry

ps: I have several comments but I'll leave it at that.

Lighten up, Francis...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mule Deer: I have owned and used two Remington 700's in 7m/m Remington Magnum over the years and one of them is still my main "go-to" Elk Rifle.
First Rifle in 7m/m Remington Magnum I bought in 1967 (Remington 700 BDL) and then in 1980 I found a beautifully stocked Remington 700 Classic in 7m/m Remington Magnum and I traded the first 700 off.
So I guess I have been a fan/user for 53 years now. And I am 72 years of age.
Good luck with your survey.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
trexf16: Are YOU one of the "foolish" young farts on this site who thinks they will never grow old?
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm 56.

I bought my first 7RM in 1982 - a Ruger 77 tanger. I bedded that rifle in the early 90s and discovered it was a tack driver. Of course it weighed north of 9lbs. I've owned 2 others and a couple of brethren (7WSM, 7SAUM, 280, 280 AI, 284 Win) in intervening years but decided a lightweight magnum 7 was a bit much with 160-175 full power loads. I then discovered Re 26 and the 270. Kind of made my 7RM looniness fade away. After my 270 was stolen, I replaced it with a 280 AI. Interestingly, I was looking at Kimber Montana 270s last night.

The 7RM is a great cartridge. After shooting more than a few deer with mine I decided I didnt need a 7RM to kill deer. After killing a few elk with a 270 and 308, I decided a 280 would do as good.

I'll bet I end up with another 270 before hunting season.........

This^^^^^^^^

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
[quote=jwall]

[quote=Mule Deer]I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

Jerry
-------------------------------------------

Lighten up, Francis...
-----------------------------------------------

Shirley... you can't call me Francis !

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/10/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oneeydjack
Bought my first one in 1985. I am 54 years old. Lots of deer elk and hogs died.

Welcome to the Campfire.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mcknight77
I'll be 70 in a couple of weeks. Bought my first one in '76, a 700ADL. That Monte Carlo stock kicked the pee out of me. Sold it a couple of years later..

Odd how, when were younger, we would sell or trade a rifle off it did anything at all we did not approve of. Buy another, etc.

Now we are less quick to do so & will determine the issue & fix it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

[quote=Mule Deer]I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

Jerry

Lighten up, Francis...
-----------------------------------------------

Shirley... you can't call me Francis !

Jerry

Ha! I can, and don't call me Shirley.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
grin grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
68 and never owned a 7mm Remington Mag. Seems like every used gun rack in the sporting goods stores that I've looked at over the last 5 or 6 years has had a used 7mm Remington Mag though. I'm just not interested in one.

Harry
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not surprised as the 7RM is usually in the top ten most popular rifle cartridges and it usually ranked first, second or third on the RMEF annual rile polls.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have had at least two 7mm rem mags, both were model 70 classic stainless sporters. Hunted with one for a few years, shot a few big mule deer with it without much drama and shot it quite a bit. Sold that last one to a nephew, trying to help him get started. Should have hung onto the rifle instead! For me, they are easy to shoot in an 8lb rifle, not sure I would want one at 7lbs. Keeping an eye out for another one so I guess you could call me a fan, at 65! (where did the time go)
My brother used one for a couple decades, on moose/black bear/deer with reliable results. Both of us typically used 154-160 grain bullets, fwiw.
If/when I get another one, I will probably try some 140 grain bullets for the deer I typically shoot, keep the trajectory nice and flat and a bit less kick than the heavier bullets.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I see a fair amount of used ones for sale in my area, mostly Remington 700s and Savage 110s. Growing up in PENN a lot of my friends used them for white tail deer, but most of them slowly went back to lighter calibers as most of our deer hunting was short range wooded areas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

Am working on an article involving 7mm big game rounds.

John, I've posted variations of the following more than once:

[snip]I graduated college in 1982, and being an anal engineering type spent the entire span of my senior year communicating with the top riflesmiths, gunwriters, ballisticians, bullet makers, powder suppliers of the time. The question was: What chambering should I adopt to hunt the world, based on effectiveness, accuracy, availability, etc...

Funny thing...the 7mm Rem Mag came out on top by a landslide...including recommendations by some gunwriters that would totally surprise a bunch of readers here.

The main recommendation was based on the claim that MANY loads/bullet weights, handloads and factory, shot to the same POI in close,, and I have found that to be true.

The second was that it was an extremely popular round, and ammo could be found pretty much anywhere worldwide. Also true.

I bought a pair of Sako Lightweight A5's and over the next 30 years proceeded to take 47 species with the round in my work travels.

Upon selling my company and retiring I also used a Jarrett .280AI, a John Lewis .280, several 7mm-08's, and was successful with all simply by asking myself "how would this shot compare if I was using my 7 Mag?"

Made it easy.

They all work to the limits of their ability to expand a good bullet.

BUT...if you are traveling, the 7 Rem Mag is available in a wider range of good bullets over the counter, that DO tend to shoot to a common point of impact, and is the logical choice.[snip]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great topic and enjoying it all. BobinNH was a huge Rem Mag fan as well. I’d bet he’d get a kick out of this thread.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Journeyman,

Excellent post. What's your age? Can approximately guess from when you graduated from college, but since I was also a science major would like to know!

So far the average age of 7mm RM fans is around 57 years, which is interesting since that means they were born in 1963--a year after the round was introduced....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Journeyman,

Excellent post. What's your age? Can approximately guess from when you graduated from college, but since I was also a science major would like to know!

So far the average age of 7mm RM fans is around 57 years, which is interesting since that means they were born in 1963--a year after the round was introduced....
Probably because so many articles in every hunting magazine raved about the 7 mag. back in the '70's. I read a lot of those articles and wanted one for a time myself. One that I read by JOC where he said "try as I might, I never could detect any difference in the field between the .270 and the 7mm mag " {or something close} stuck in my head and I never did get one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My first BG rifle was a M77 in 7mm RM purchased new in 1985. I bought it because my uncles used 7mms.
Kept it a few years and enjoyed good success with it using 175g Hornadys elk hunting. I soon realized that a 30-06 would do everything I needed. I sold the 7mm and bought a then new M70 Classic Sporter with the control round feed in 30-06 and haven't missed the 7mm since. I currently don't own a 7mm anything but I would buy another M77 7mm RM in a heartbeat for nostalgia and the right price. FWIW, im 54.

Last edited by Centennial; 04/10/20.
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.