Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have my own range.

Here is my Daughter using it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

grin 4-1-20

Thank god that was an april fools joke!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I get more pissed at the funds who think they have the right to determine how anyone else shoots at the range.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Since bsa1917hunt brought the thread to the top i'll comment .

Last week went to my hunting lease - been no hogs there and not a tire track nor anybody there due too the co19 crap .
Anyway we're not suppose to be shooting out there but i haven't seen a hog in two seasons neither has anyone else .
Set up a plastic xmart folding table [100yds.] small bulls bag - rear rest etc. and did some shooting three custom R-700 22-250 Mickey built for me , 6.5x47L. thx JPro , 280ai Nathan Dagley very low wind conditions .

ALL shot tiny groups and made me feel really good to finally be able to ''proof'' my loads and rifles which i haven't been able to do in years thanks to the ammo wasters at all the regional ranges .
Had some old rounds i had loaded with the saved factory brass from my 'then' factory R-700 22-250 - brass from the late 80's early 90's - remington brand . First five shot group measured .400'' . All three rifles put a big smile on my face sitting there in the shade on a nearly windless 70* day .

Next day shot down a different bushogged lane 276yds. NO wind - a dream come true here . I just banged away with all three rifles taking advantage of the great conditions mostly 3 shot trios not 5 shot groups . Couple of groups inside an inch [big smile] - none over two inches . This is off a flemsy plastic table and less than perfect chair .
OK just wanted to say how great it is to finally ''know'' my rifles are good to go and zero'd perfectly --- finally .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JustLucky
I found the best times to adjust a scope or for load development was to be there and set up before dawn. You could start as soon as there was enough light, take your time, and the only company was a deer that would appear to get in front of the targets.

I could get a couple of hours of shooting and be at work usually on time. I can make much better adjustments when I don’t have to worry about what someone else is doing.

When shooting at the local club, this has been my method for over thirty years. Unfortunately for me there have been several guys in the last few years who have "learned" the same thing. Oh well, at least the guys that tend to show up when I do that early seem to be thoughtful, intelligent people.

I am fortunate to have public land to which I can drive if I want a little privacy when the range is full of everybody who seems to be on different schedules for when cease fires should be called.

Originally Posted by gitem_12
I get more pissed at the funds who think they have the right to determine how anyone else shoots at the range.

Well played gitem, well played.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/11/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
When i lived in Idaho i was amazed at the number of people who pondered where they could go shoot ...?? Answer - just about anywhere -their reply - oh - didn't know that .

Some drove miles&miles to a shooting range and passed up thousands of acres of public land where shooting is legal .

---------------------------------

----------------------------------

Who said anybody was trying to tell anybody how they can shoot ?
We're just trying to work out a system of separation so the mag-dumpers don't disrupt the guys who prefer aim small miss small .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Since bsa1917hunt brought the thread to the top i'll comment .

Last week went to my hunting lease - been no hogs there and not a tire track nor anybody there due too the co19 crap .
Anyway we're not suppose to be shooting out there but i haven't seen a hog in two seasons neither has anyone else .
Set up a plastic xmart folding table [100yds.] small bulls bag - rear rest etc. and did some shooting three custom R-700 22-250 Mickey built for me , 6.5x47L. thx JPro , 280ai Nathan Dagley very low wind conditions .

ALL shot tiny groups and made me feel really good to finally be able to ''proof'' my loads and rifles which i haven't been able to do in years thanks to the ammo wasters at all the regional ranges .
Had some old rounds i had loaded with the saved factory brass from my 'then' factory R-700 22-250 - brass from the late 80's early 90's - remington brand . First five shot group measured .400'' . All three rifles put a big smile on my face sitting there in the shade on a nearly windless 70* day .

Next day shot down a different bushogged lane 276yds. NO wind - a dream come true here . I just banged away with all three rifles taking advantage of the great conditions mostly 3 shot trios not 5 shot groups . Couple of groups inside an inch [big smile] - none over two inches . This is off a flemsy plastic table and less than perfect chair .
OK just wanted to say how great it is to finally ''know'' my rifles are good to go and zero'd perfectly --- finally .

I can see where that would put a smile on your face.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
When i lived in Idaho i was amazed at the number of people who pondered where they could go shoot ...?? Answer - just about anywhere -their reply - oh - didn't know that .

Some drove miles&miles to a shooting range and passed up thousands of acres of public land where shooting is legal .

---------------------------------

----------------------------------

Who said anybody was trying to tell anybody how they can shoot ?
We're just trying to work out a system of separation so the mag-dumpers don't disrupt the guys who prefer aim small miss small .

Yep, Nevada is the same way. Plenty of places to shoot. Oregon is pretty good too, if you know where the rock quarry's are. Or a place in the national forest with a good backstop....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same problems at almost all ranges. My recent experiences:
1. Range is called cold. Everybody checks targets. I come back up to the bench line before others and a range EMPLOYEE (paid to borescope and sightin rifles) has left a loaded rifle pointed down range, bolt open, ammo visible in in the mag ready to go. Good Lord! I stood by the rifle till he walked back up and kept him from picking it up or touching it till everybody got back to the line.

2. I'm shooting my muzzloader. It does take some time to reload. So, I'm standing there just removing my ramrod from seating my lead ball (gun vertical) and people just start walking down range. I yell "The range is NOT Cold. I have a loaded rifle here!" Range office had seen me and said he thought I was cleaning it. No, it was loaded and just need a cap. I chewed his butt out for 1. Not calling "Cease fire" loud enough I could hear it I was only 15 feet away. 2. Not making sure everybody heard it. 3. Calling the range cold when I was sill handling my rifle, which by the way was loaded but just not capped.

It's a matter of time before somebody gets shot there. Nice, well layed out range. Great facilities But just plain ignorant owners. I try to go when nobody else is around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've told this story before, but I'll repeat it here...

Used to belong to Tri County Gun Club range in our area. Probably the largest range/club in Oregon ... and would go out and try to get some shooting in when I had time. Emphasis on "try" ... seems like every yahoo that would show up would just call a cease fire so he could set up targets regardless of what was going on or who was already there, etc.... there were days when I couldn't shoot 20 rounds in a couple hours of being on the range. Working up loads became impossible...

Then, there were the a-holes who were always handling guns when there was a cold range, in spite of the big yellow signs at every station regarding this practice. The third time it happened in a single session I yelled down to the "guest" to get his head out of his dark place... and promptly got my ass chewed by his sponsor for using derogatory language, even though it was his responsibility to keep his guest aware of the rules of the range.... on top of it, the range officers wouldn't do a darned thing about it...

The last straw - I finally found a few days to get to the range during the week fairly early so I get over there and set up. I'm the only one on the range of about 25 benches, so I set up on the left end about 3 from the end so there is room for others to set up without being in each others' way. So, what happens? A dufus with an AR shows up and sets up on the bench on my left and he has his 10 year old son with him. I try to show him I am irritated without calling him the asshat I think he is being, but I get back to trying to shoot. Of course, he is blasting away with his AR, not hitting a thing but the berm behind the targets and throwing brass all over me.... I'm doing a pretty slow but steady burn by this time. So, I get behind my scope and try to shoot a group and just as I'm putting pressure on the trigger of my 22-250 I notice movement in my scope... I quickly look up and this turd's 10 year old son has run in front of my bench to retrieve some of dad's brass while I'm squeezing the trigger. My crosshairs were right on the center of his head when I let off.. Well, I promptly stopped, stood up and chewed dad out with every choice word I could think of. It was the last time I wasted my time going to that range and I dropped my membership.

Now I just go out on BLM a few miles from my house and set up, as do many others as I can attest to from the amount of shooting we hear every time we are out there.... much simpler, fewer rules, and plenty of time to accomplish what we are trying to get done...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 04/12/20.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
BSA1917HUNT ,

What was the thread on testing your accuracy ?
Been a while and i've forgot - i'll give it a go when i get a chance .

Also shot my cz 452 style but from my shooting house which has basically a benchrest built in it - comfy office chair .
Had the Style , 452 American 17hmr & 22mag all threaded about a month ago . LIKE !
Shot the ammo the Style loves - wolf match/target 40gr. subsonic , that i run through a Waltz Die that swages and creates a hollow point however big you want the hollow point .
One ragged hole at 50 yards . .
Haven't shot the rifle in a while - been taking the cz 455 suppressed - but love the Style - more accurate with any bullet .
OK just out some gun talk .

Posted by Bristoe
IC B3

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Sheister ,
It just shows what kind of people can and do go to gunranges . Let your kid get in front of a rifle being fired - yeah - ...

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Been to this place Bullets & Bones looked up the hours just so i would know .

Scroll down a bit [link below] to the shooters sitting at the benches this is the 300 yard side . You have to sit at the 100/200 yard pavillion to shoot at 100-200 yards , 300 yard pavillion cannot shoot at anything but 300 yard target berm .
First/closest shooter AR red dot no rest of any type .
Young lad - no scope off elbows no rest/bipod.
Third older fellow - looks like a pillow rolled up - no rear rest .
fourth guy - rifle sitting on top of something white - not any kind of rest i've ever seen - no rear bag .
Woman using binos offhand - what could she possibly see ?
Prone guy w/manbun - AR that's all i can see .

When i've went there before - the 300 yard side will be empty but as soon as i go over there a few people decided to join me . smile it's crazy .

https://bulletsandbonesdfs.com/

Posted by Bristoe
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.