S
That went well........................

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Switch

I've apologized to John per PM...

I should have acknowledged up front that magazine articles, rhetoric, pipe dreams, masturbatory fantasies....and most of all, liberal apologetics, trump 36 years of experience on 5 continents! MY BAD!!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Journeyman

I should have acknowledged up front that magazine articles, rhetoric, pipe dreams, masturbatory fantasies....and most of all, liberal apologetics, trump 36 years of experience on 5 continents! MY BAD!!
You should have just kept your big mouth shut in matters that don't involve you you mouthy f.uckin moron.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart

You should have just kept your big mouth shut in matters that don't involve you you mouthy f.uckin moron.

You're 100% correct!

Me: 400+ game animals, 47 species, over 36 years...

You: 0 animals, 0 species, over a lifetime...

My bad!!!

Me...OUT!!!

Sorry, John. Good luck with the article...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Tejano]

Bob Briscoe said the 7RM was the best long range cartridge for the average shooter. I agree. Les Bowman thought it perfection for elk. Bob Hagel said it was a classic with the 160 Nosler and hard to improve upon. These writers were like crack to me in my formative years and my experiences have proved them right over and over again. Like Phil said the 7 RM is like the 30-06 what's not to like? I think of it as an improved 30-06 the advantages may not be discernible in the field but I do believe they are more than just paper advantages.
—————————————

Very Good Tejano.
I AM a 30-06 fan and user AND I can guarantee the 7 RM IS flatter shooting
past 300 yds.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You're 100% correct!

Me: 400+ game animals, 47 species, over 38 years...

My bad!!!

Me...OUT!!!

It was 36 years just a couple minutes ago. You impress yourself far more than you impress me. My brother has a rich friend who's hunted all over the world and has a house full of trophy mounts. Doesn't mean shyt really other than he's got the money to do it. I've hunted with him here many times and his knowledge and skills are not exceptional. He would have the smarts to not blow off at the mouth and throw a childish temper tantrum over a post that wasn't even directed to him however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geez, John. Way to go. grin

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve hunted with the 7mm Rem Mag off and on since I was 22. I’ve never been without one in the safe. I have owned several M70s and M700s chambered in it. I have a real nice M70 Westerner chambered in it. If I had to pick one cartridge to hunt with for the rest of my life, it would be on a short list along with the 30-06. From mule deer in the snake river breaks to elk in the cascades, it does well. I guess the only real drawback is capacity compared to the 06. Recoil seems to be about the same and it does shoot a bit flatter.

I’m 37.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
It seems like there is a second pandemic of A-holeness going around. Are we all getting a little edgy?

Bob Briscoe said the 7RM was the best long range cartridge for the average shooter. I agree. Les Bowman thought it perfection for elk. Bob Hagel said it was a classic with the 160 Nosler and hard to improve upon. These writers were like crack to me in my formative years and my experiences have proved them right over and over again. Like Phil said the 7 RM is like the 30-06 what's not to like? I think of it as an improved 30-06 the advantages may not be discernible in the field but I do believe they are more than just paper advantages.

MD what happened to the 7&7 crowd in Montana? Did they give up on the 7RM or succumb to liver failure?

Don't know much about the A-holeness pandemic, except it seems to be fueled by those who create and quote it...

Bob Hagel and Les Bowman were friends of my Grandpa...both hunted on our ranch.
Who the heck is "Bob Briscoe"?
If you mean Bob Brister...he did too...and we shot Sporting Clays together more than once...

What was that again about A-holes popping in with their heads up their azzes?

Laird, I love this Board! confused

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You're 100% correct!

Me: 400+ game animals, 47 species, over 38 years...

My bad!!!

Me...OUT!!!

It was 36 years just a couple minutes ago. You impress yourself far more than you impress me. My brother has a rich friend who's hunted all over the world and has a house full of trophy mounts. Doesn't mean shyt really other than he's got the money to do it. I've hunted with him here many times and his knowledge and skills are not exceptional. He would have the smarts to not blow off at the mouth and throw a childish temper tantrum over a post that wasn't even directed to him however.

Please don’t pm me anymore regarding your mad masturbatory skills again. Thanks
-Consuela

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Really? Are people just waiting for a reason to get up in arms? I love the 7 mag. I also love the 280. Cant tell much difference between the two on meat. I'm 49 and have used a 7 mag off and on since the late 80's.
Patrick

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have one in a Ruger Hawkeye, factory action and barrel. I am 62.
My son has one in a M70 Classic, factory action and barrel. He is 36.

I have owned one other, That I traded off about 25 years prior to acquiring this one. Personally, I consider the cartridge slightly more than a 270 Winchester. I like the .284 caliber.
This rifle may or may not get hunted with. If so it will be with 150 grain Tipped mono bullets.

I also have a 7mm WSM. I have yet to fire this 7mm Rem or WSM. Hopefully, once things normal up, I will get them sighted in. I have fired my son's at the range and it seemed to group very well.

My hunting consists of moose hunting. I prefer larger bores.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

Am working on an article involving 7mm big game rounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by 458Win
It's a great round, basically a glorified 30-06. So what's not to like ?

My thoughts exactly.

Phil have you seen it used much on brown bear? I carried a 7RM as a fishing rifle when I guided in Alaska and thought the 175 partitions would be a lot better than a rock or fly rod if I ever needed it. But I have no idea on it's effectiveness and would grab a 375 way before I would a 7 mag. to hunt bear.

I have seen it used on big bears and it works very well !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
John, 67 in July.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I'm 53, my first rifle was a 30-06 but I caught the magnum bug and bought my first 7mm 30 years ago. Could never tell any difference in the 270, 06, or 7mm on game, peas in a pod. My hunting partner is 60 and the 7mm has always been his favorite.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Remington725
Hunted with a 7 Rem Mag this past season. It likes 160 ABs and RL26.

+1

Dogshooter’s 67 gr load works great, as I posted earlier.

What’s your best load, RL-26 and 160 NAB’s?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks to all who responded specifically to my question! Due to them, I have more than enough information for my article.

Turns out the average age of its fans who responded is just about the same as the 7mm Remington Magnum itself, 58 years! Which means they weren't attracted to it by the first burst of publicity, but by its enduring usefulness.

The age distribution of its fans is also remarkably similar to American hunters in general. A 2019 analysis of Americans who bought hunting licenses found the largest age-group was 45-54 (23%), and the next largest 55-64 (21%).

It also turned out that my old friend Dennis, who first suggested it was a "geezer round," is 58 years old. He's more of a .300 magnum fan, and one of the .300s he's used a lot is the H&H--which some of us would definitely consider a geezer round.

I also guessed the thread would eventually devolve into a typical Campfire/Internet shouting match, because that's just about inevitable with any thread that continues for more than a few pages.

Good hunting!
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Turns out the average age of its fans who responded is just about the same as the 7mm Remington Magnum itself, 58 years! Which means they weren't attracted to it by the first burst of publicity, but by its enduring usefulness.
Good hunting!
John

Applied to the 6,5 Creedmoore would mean their fans are barely teenagers attracted by its publicity. grin grin grin

Now, that will make for another 20 pages! grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by chamois

Turns out the average age of its fans who responded is just the same as the 7mm Remington Magnum itself, 58 years! Which means they weren't attracted to it by the first burst of publicity, but by its enduring usefulness.
Good hunting!
John

Applied to the 6,5 Creedmoore would mean their fans are barely teenagers attracted by its publicity. grin grin grin

Now, that will make for another 20 pages! grin

+ / + / + / cross & shield ! lol

Can't get away from the Queermoor anywhere. sick...... whistle ....... grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks MD for this thread. I'm glad to see 'more' than I thot using and liking the 7 RM, even tho I know it's standing in
sales of factory ammo, dies, etc.

Refreshing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.