Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Spring change of cast members has just about completed here. Juncos are gone, Black-Chin hummies are here, Chicadees are nesting, Robins are courting, Mourning and European doves are cooing, and Hairy Woodpeckers are hammering. I'm already seeing opened goose eggs on my golf course, but no chicks out yet. (The eggs fool me into thinking I've found a free ball, only to find a shell.) Many ducks and geese call my golf course home.

I have maybe a pound of winter feed left from my little Junco friends. I'll leave that feeder out a while in hopes the Chicadees and Wrens find it, but when that's gone, I end that food supply in favor of the hummingbird ones. Juncos and Hummies are my most favorite little birds, and it is quite satisfying every year that the last of one always coincides with the first of the other.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The cattle egrets finally showed up yesterday. Over two weeks late.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sandhill cranes have been here for over a month.....lots of them.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hastings, When I worked for NASA at Kennedy Space Center, the plenitude of birds was always a highlight for the VIPs I toured. The resident biologist told me that cattle egrets are an African species that presumably arrived in the Gulf Coast states by way of a hurricane that they got trapped in and blown clear across the Atlantic. They managed to fit seamlessly into the local ecosystem (unlike so many other invasives) and thrive here now.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Chickadees were tweeting sweet spring all yesterday.... still snowing today.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're experiencing the typical waterfowl stop over. They should head out in about a month.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

All the other small dickie birds as well. Spent a little time yesterday evicting some English Sparrows.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/11/20.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife said she heard an oriole this morning. I hung outside and listened for an hour but nothing.
We've hung the hummer feeders but it's early yet.

I tend to notice the more colorful birds but haven't seen much yet this spring.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw my first osprey of the year this morning cruising above a bay on the south side of Lake Ontario. Too high to have been fishing, it was just slowly flying around. Had the binocs on it for maybe half a minute and got a pretty good look.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still not many of our usual summer residents here yet--mostly migrants. We do have a couple of pairs of Black Chinned hummers, but the rest of the usual suspects haven't put in an appearance. A little surprised that the orioles aren't here yet. Only things breeding are the House Finches and the Sparrows.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The Goldfinches visiting my feeders are almost completely into their breeding colors. No Hummers yet.

Jim
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday I noticed most of the nesting platforms had the Osprey owners back. Last week the Turkey Buzzards started showing up. A few Blue Herons have returned and I see one of the neighborhood Robins has started working on it's nest in the neighbor's carport. Blue Birds are just returning to their boxes out along the country roads-----
and of course it is snowing! Oh yeh, the Mourning Doves are back, and the Sand Hill Cranes are noisy.
And I think I spotted the Easter Bunny today,

Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of redwing blackbirds and grackles over the last couple of weeks, last weekend we had a northern mockingbird hanging around the bird feeder.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Heard my first Meadowlark of the season, the day before yesterday! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by vapodog
Sandhill cranes have been here for over a month.....lots of them.

Heard the first flock about 3 days ago.

Meadowlarks have been here for a week.

Robins showed up about 2 weeks ago.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We’ve got bucketloads of birds and butterflies out now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Almost all our common summer birds are back. Still waiting on the tree swallows and hummingbirds. This winter I had several bluebirds at my feeders all winter eating the suet. I have a few bluebird boxes in my field and always have at least 2 breeding pairs in spring, early summer. But this is the first year I've seen any winter over. At the same time, I used to get evening grosbeaks every winter but I haven't seen any in years. I liked them around but they sure could empty a couple of feeders in a hurry.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Hastings, When I worked for NASA at Kennedy Space Center, the plenitude of birds was always a highlight for the VIPs I toured. The resident biologist told me that cattle egrets are an African species that presumably arrived in the Gulf Coast states by way of a hurricane that they got trapped in and blown clear across the Atlantic. They managed to fit seamlessly into the local ecosystem (unlike so many other invasives) and thrive here now.
I don't know of anything bad that cattle egrets do. They follow the cows around catching the horse flies. They are so quick at it you really have to watch to see it. They eat grasshoppers and if you get an army worm infestation they let you know by ganging up on them well before you might notice the damage. One good thing Africa sent us.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hastings, maybe my memory is off but I don't recall any cattle egrets in north Louisiana prior to hurricain Carla in '61 and they went back south after a while. Camille pushed a lot of them up here and many stayed. Been here ever since.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I did a search and found claims that the egrets reached South America in the late 1800s. I was born in 1952 and I don't recall seeing them until the late 60s. Whenever they got here they have pretty much been a blessing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is a medium sized 12-14"wing span woodland (ground dwelling/feeding) Bird with a back and dorsal wing surface pattern similar to a black rail? (Red-brown with white spots/flecks). Quiet, didn't burst like a grouse, from the posterior in flight view had a M-profile. Never got a look at its head but it went quietly from ground to trees...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.