Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Question for the egg owners here.

Can you get them things hot enough to forge knives when you ain't barbequeing in them?

I have a really nice anvil that could use some attention.

Geno

No.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

Can you get them things hot enough to forge knives when you ain't barbequeing in them?

Geno

No.

Bummer,

You were going to be the first to be gifted a test knife. Assuming you would use it to gut and skin an iguana and report back to me.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Geno

If you are serious.....In some alternate world a BGE may be able to heat a blade. But the sustained temps to pull that off would toast the gaskets and stuff.

There are WAY cheaper ways to set up a forge.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duck911
If you're going to try to be funny, can you succeed every now and again?

Thanks.

So you are apparently a BGE owner (doubt that, I'm thinkin' habachi grill)

Instead of the usual empty insults and stupid banter and lame ass shock-jock humor................................ Share a RECIPE. Seriously. How about a Deflavor specialty??

I will be waiting. I'll share 3 of mine for every one of yous.

duck,

Beware of what you ask.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Geno

If you are serious.....In some alternate world a BGE may be able to heat a blade. But the sustained temps to pull that off would toast the gaskets and stuff.

There are WAY cheaper ways to set up a forge.

I'm sure I could cobble up a Masai version with a foot bellows for my wife to use.

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Isn’t the Komodo a BGE “knock off” ? That’s the one shaped similar to the BGE, but all metal I believe .

"Komodo" is the general style of a dome shaped, ceramic lined cooker. BGE is one brand.

In my opinion, the best, but, there are other brands.

The Kamado Joe is made in China
The Big Green Egg is made in Mexico
The Primo is made in the USA

I have the Big Green Egg because that is what my kids got for me for Christmas.

The Primo and the Big Green Egg are the only two who passed this heat test.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
1200 F is gdamn impressive. Thats a pizza oven there

We've known 5-10 inches of snow will be here tomorrow for days. So Wednesday, I planned on the first pizza of the season on the BGE tonight.

It takes some pre-planning to do it right, because dough that cold ferments in the fridge for 48-72 hours is FAR superior to same-day dough. So Wed eve, I made a batch.

I got the recipe from a friend (last name ends in "ucci" - he is HIGHLY Italian). He owns a pizza place in Puerto Rico - actually had a brick oven imported from there for his shop in PR.

Anyhow, I have tweaked it over the last couple of years. For the uninitiated:

1) The right flour is KEY. No AP flour, bread/baking flour, etc.
2) There are special chemical reactions when water meets flour. A lot of people dump their olive oil in with the water, but the oil coats the gluten strands, and.......... Well, it gets technical. Just know, the olive oil is the LAST thing to go in!!!
3) So....Water, flour, salt, sugar. I also add brewers malt, and I LOVE the flavor. Knead in the Kitchenaid on high for 5 min. Unlike biscuits or bread where you want to be gentle and AVOID the creation of gluten, , you really need to beat the chit out of this dough for that NY crust, snappy, teat-off texture.
4) Add yeast (my wife keeps a sourdough starter, I use that with amazing results)
5) Drizzle in olive oil until the dough is sikly smooth and *almost* tacky to the touch.

Ball, and refrigerate, 2-4 days: This dough MUST cold ferment. That's what makes great pizza dough great.

[Linked Image]

The Big Green Egg in question - 15th anniversary gift from the missus.

[Linked Image]

Fast forward to today. I pulled the dough around noon, coated with EVOO, and let it rise. Here it is by 4PM:

[Linked Image]

Built the fire in the BGE. It is a little counter-intuitive, but I have discovered over time, that less charcoal = more heat. And, I use fresh, bigger chunks to get the BGE up over 800 (I have had it as high as 1200 degrees)

1/3 a basket full, with the blower starter stick:

[Linked Image]

Hand toss or stretch the dough, never, EVER roll it - that pushes all of the air out and makes for dense dough with to character. I worked in pizza places in college and our kitchen has valued ceilings, so I sling that beotch 10 feet in the air. Drives my wife crazy, haha! This was a topping-heavy pizza so I put a bit of a roll around the edge. When I make thinner crust, true NY stype I don't add the roll around the outside.

[Linked Image]

My wife made the pie while I drank an IPA and chatted with Stella the Wonder Doodle. She went with olive oil & garlic followed by homemade sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, olives, red onion, jalapenos, and a bit of cheddar on the top. Here it is on the peel:

[Linked Image]

Fire is getting there! When going hot for pizza, I leave the bottom damper wide open and the cast iron chimney damper OFF. The key is max air flow. That is also why less and bigger charcoal makes a hotter fire - lots of air gaps. When I want to hit 1200 degrees for~90 second flatbreads and such, I have a 18 inch piece of galvanized chimney pipe that I shove in the top. It creates a vacuum and this fugger gets HUMMING!!

[Linked Image]

Hit my target temp:

[Linked Image]

Waited for another 15 min until an IR heat thermometer read the pizza stone at 600 degrees. It is an important, and overlooked step to a perfectly cooked crust.

Finished product! Pulled it off about 30 seconds after this pic:

[Linked Image]

I have a brisket corning right now and will be doing a 14-18 hour smoke-to-pastrami later this week!

D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Thanks.

Instead of the usual empty insults and stupid banter and lame ass shock-jock humor................................ Share a RECIPE. Seriously. How about a Deflavor specialty??

duck,

Beware of what you ask.

Geno

Naaa. I am expecting pure comedy. My guess is, Defarvere's first two ingredients will CURDLE.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Give DF some slack. He spent many a winter in Havre.

Thanks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've got a 3 burner Genesis and a BGE at home as well as another 3 burner Genesis @ our camper. About the only meat that gets cooked in the kitchen is browning ground burger any anything that gets put in the crock pot.

One of our favorites is to take whole-muscle venison roasts drizzle on a bit of olive oil and dry seasoning, get a good 2-3min sear/side then put the diffuser plate in, put some apple cider in a tinfoil pan atop the diffuser, then perch the roast over the cider. Tamp down the air to get a grill temp of ~200-225 and leave the top down until the remote thermometer says 125 degrees in the center of the roast. Pull the roast off, let it rest for a bit and slice it thin.

I don't think there's a more versatile cooking tool than the BGE. And I don't think I'd ever be without a 3 burner Genesis either.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Is this Martha Stewart hour? Share a recipe and I’ll share 3! 😆

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ribka
1200 F is gdamn impressive. Thats a pizza oven there

They can do it all.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

My wife said we can't afford one right now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Impressive stuff, for sure.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Started cooking Red Baron's on the mini-Weber 'bout 20 or 25 years ago for poker or football games. Started with lots of coals and burgers, brats, dogs with the grill at it's hottest. Then when those were gone and the coals were starting to just cool a bit, straight on the grate with the 4-cheese classic with some extra toppings, chopped up ham or whatever was in the fridge...and some more cheese.
Then when that was gone, the fire was usually just hot enough for some grilled bananas sliced longways, banana split style.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

judges score.......9.98

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Melt some butter in a tinfoil meatloaf pan, fill the butter pan up with jumbo shrimp, have the coals good and hot, say 550-700. Pull the grill grate, toss in your favorite flavor smoking chips and put the grill grate back on, tamp the air, down to just a trickle and let the butter/shimp mixture bathe in your favorite smoke for 7-10min.

Crab legs sprayed/brushed with a little oil so dry seasoning will stick. Season to taste. Use the shrimp technique of hot grill, smoking chips, add the crab legs, tamp down the air (under 300 degrees) and let the crab legs slowly come up to temp as they bathe in smoke.

Same technique works for Lobster tails too.

A large bone-in ham over a diffuser with a pan full of cider @ 225 for 2-3hrs is exceptional as well assuming you started with a good ham.

If you use the diffuser, a remote temp probe, and set the air-flow for a cooking temp of 250-275 it's pretty much impossible to screw up a beer-can chicken on the egg.

Then end.

Last edited by horse1; 04/11/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumbduck will make somebody a good wife someday......

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by horse1

Melt some butter in a tinfoil meatloaf pan, fill the butter pan up with jumbo shrimp, have the coals good and hot, say 550-700. Pull the grill grate, toss in your favorite flavor smoking chips and put the grill grate back on, tamp the air, down to just a trickle and let the butter/shimp mixture bathe in your favorite smoke for 7-10min.

Crab legs sprayed/brushed with a little oil so dry seasoning will stick. Season to taste. Use the shrimp technique of hot grill, smoking chips, add the crab legs, tamp down the air (under 300 degrees) and let the crab legs slowly come up to temp as they bathe in smoke.

Same technique works for Lobster tails too.

A large bone-in ham over a diffuser with a pan full of cider @ 225 for 2-3hrs is exceptional as well assuming you started with a good ham.

Then end.

Game on, duck.you have a taker....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

My wife said we can't afford one right now.

I feel for you, brother.

I follow you on Facebook.

[Linked Image]

When you get to the point where you can afford a Weber, or a George Foreman Grill, or some copper kick-azz non-stick skillets, let all of us know. We will help you, my friend. First lesson will be fried SPAM. And you will be well on your way.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.