Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Apple and Google have been tossing out the concept of reporting where phone users have been and whom they have been in contact with to authorities to control the spread of coro-19 by use of their phone tracking abilities, China is currently doing something similar to verify both travels and that you are not traveling outside of authorized activities. Apple and Google's pitch is that this will make everyone more secure. One of our country's founding father's observed, "people who would trade freedom for security, deserve neither".
Following is from article on their plans.

Teetering on a razor, Smartphone giants try to balance infection tracking and privacy.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In a bold and ambitious collaboration, Apple and Google are developing a smartphone platform that tries to track the spread of the novel coronavirus at scale and at the same time preserve the privacy of iOS and Android users who opt in to it.

The cross-platform system will use the proximity capabilities built into Bluetooth Low Energy transmissions to track the physical contacts of participating phone users. If a user later tests positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, she can choose to enter the result into a health department-approved app. The app will then contact all other participating phone users who have recently come within six or so feet of her.

The system, which Google and Apple described here and here respectively, applies a technological approach to what’s known as contact tracing, or the practice of figuring out everyone an infected individual has recently been in contact with. A recently published study by a group of Oxford researchers suggested that the novel coronavirus is too infectious for contact tracing to work well using traditional methods. The researchers proposed using smartphones, since they’re nearly ubiquitous, don’t rely on faulty memories of people who have been infected, and can track a nearly unlimited number of contacts of other participating users.
Mitigating the worst
But while mobile-based contact tracing may be more effective, it also poses a serious threat to individual privacy, since it opens the door to central databases that track the movements and social interactions of potentially millions, and possibly billions, of people. The platform Apple and Google are developing uses an innovative cryptographic scheme that aims to allow the contact tracing to work as scale without posing a risk to the privacy of those who opt into the system.

Privacy advocates—with at least one notable exception—mostly gave the system a qualified approval, saying that while the scheme removed some of the most immediate threats, it may still be open to abuse.

“To their credit, Apple and Google have announced an approach that appears to mitigate the worst privacy and centralization risks, but there is still room for improvement,” Jennifer Granick, surveillance and cybersecurity counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, wrote in a statement. “We will remain vigilant moving forward to make sure any contact tracing app remains voluntary and decentralized, and used only for public health purposes and only for the duration of this pandemic.”

Unlike traditional contact tracing, the phone platform doesn’t collect names, locations, or other identifying information. Instead, when two or more users opting into the system come into physical contact, their phones use BLE to swap anonymous identifier beacons. The identifiers—which in technical jargon are known as rolling proximity identifiers—change roughly every 15 minutes to prevent wireless tracking of a device.

As the users move about and come into proximity with others, their phones continue to exchange these anonymous identifiers. Periodically, the users’ devices will also download broadcast beacon identifiers of anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and has been in the same local region.

In the event someone reports to the system that she has tested positive, her phone will contact a central server and upload 14 days of her identifiers. Non-infected users download daily tracing keys, and because of the way each rolling proximity identifier is generated, end-user phones can recreate them indexed by time from just the daily tracing key for each day. The following two slides help illustrate at a high level how the system works.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

And once that is done it will be used for all other kinds of tracking people... (It might already be there now).

A friend of mine sent an IM (text) on something from an android phone the other day, and almost immediately started getting ads and emails about it...

Anyone who thinks they have privacy on a mobile device or compute is nutz.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read that Trump was not in favor of this plan.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Eric Snowden explained all this—that traitor.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The modern-day version of writing an "X on your forehead is here. How far off are we from implanting a "chip" into a newborn?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When they figure out that people don’t want to be tracked, or are just forgetful and sometimes leave theirs phones at home or in the car, they’ll realize that in order to get really good data, a way is needed to make sure that a person always has the electronic identifier on their persons.

Seems like I’ve heard that before somewhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Its
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

And once that is done it will be used for all other kinds of tracking people... (It might already be there now).

A friend of mine sent an IM (text) on something from an android phone the other day, and almost immediately started getting ads and emails about it...

It's already there. I stopped at a patriot station a while back for fuel for my work truck, and when I got home I had a text asking how I liked my patriot experience.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is being done. Check this website out to see how each state and county has complied, Comrades:

Tracking Linky

I didn't dig into their methodology.

Last edited by 280shooter; 04/12/20.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
These phones track your movement patterns already.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think they are going to use a block chain approach that creates a historical pattern (record) of each person you crossed paths with via exchanging encrypted keys, and hashing them to create a new “exchange” record... which is stored in multiple places... I hope they use bluetooth to do the key exchange so it can be shut off... but more likely it will be a ghost hotspot / Bluetooth approach that the user can’t control.

Aka - it would track all known encounters.- this is what the pictures are showing in the PR above - and yes I used to build this type of chit.

the current system tracks your WIFI, and antenna connectivity to triangulate where you are, BUT doesn’t track who you are with...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 04/12/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Should be titled:

"...reveal a fraction of their user tracking abilities"

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They got algorithms for all o that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just got a new car GPS..... on the way home from work last week, a screen pops up as if "someone" wants to contact me on Bluetooth, which I don't even have.... message will not go away unless you hit accept or ignore....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's a BIG reason why I have NO 'smart -phone'.... and never WILL have such a device..

Originally Posted by kid0917
just got a new car GPS..... on the way home from work last week, a screen pops up as if "someone" wants to contact me on Bluetooth, which I don't even have.... message will not go away unless you hit accept or ignore....
You should be able to change your settings to get out of that.. Check your manual..

Wife's phone was checked over by my son who's a whiz at this stuff....turned off everything that related to tracking/checking etc., etc... Since that time (about 2 months ago) her phone only gets things from the family members or her workers.. Nothing else...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As far a implanting chips bill gates is already on that page

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
It's a BIG reason why I have NO 'smart -phone'.... and never WILL have such a device..

Originally Posted by kid0917
You should be able to change your settings to get out of that.. Check your manual..

Wife's phone was checked over by my son who's a whiz at this stuff....turned off everything that related to tracking/checking etc., etc... Since that time (about 2 months ago) her phone only gets things from the family members or her workers.. Nothing else...

Redneck - it’s built into the core OS of non-smartphones as well... so not having a smart phone isn’t going to help you - at least with the current methods, the new ones might require a smart phone.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 04/12/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Correct.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.