24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been lurking around the campfire for a while now. Mostly here and in the Gunwriter's Forum. Lots of experienced voices with minimal egos is what I like about this site.

I recently got a commercial sporter based on a (long) Lee Enfield action. I think the wood has been refinished, but still looks nice to my eye. I suspect the metal might have been reblued at some point, but since then, the receiver has been drilled and tapped for a scope and bluing was rubbed-off by the side mount. It is also missing the magazine cut-off and dust cover, and I suspect the magazine may not be correct (and is in rough shape). I would like to get the receiver restored and the missing parts replaced. I would like to hear some recommendations on who in Canada is doing this type of work.

Cheers,
Frosty

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frosty bacon;
Good evening to you Frosty, I trust that other than the current morass we're wading through that all is as well as can be with you and yours.

That's a tough one actually and if there's anyone out here in central BC who specialized in working on older military actions I am not aware of them. Most of the 'smiths are geared towards either competition type rifles or mountain rifles these days, or here in our part of the world anyway.

Sometimes parts can be had at Tradex Guns, but depending upon the model and mark you've got sometimes the correct parts for LE can be tough to locate.

Welcome to the 'Fire regardless, Happy Easter and stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've had good luck getting just about any parts I need from Numerich gun parts. Although not for the Lee Enfield. Hope you can get it put together

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know of anyone who is doing this. The days of repairing these old girls has passed. I can recommend a few people that you can contact who should be able to steer you in the right direction.

www.collectorssource.com - The best place to start. They are in Acton, ON.

These three are US companies, but can help with parts and information.

www.bdlltd.com - This is Brian Dick. He's an ex-pat, living in the US.
www.gunpartscorp.com
www.ssporters.com

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good morning and Happy Easter to you and yours sir, I hope you're all as well as can be.

Thanks for answering this new poster, I was hoping you might do so. For anyone else reading this, I'd opine that Steve has forgotten more about all things .303 than any other two people I know might still retain.

While I still repair the odd one these days, as you say they're getting more and more scarce, both for parts and ammunition even.

I've taken to scrounging deactivated ones for major parts just to have some on hand, but know for sure I've got no magazines, cartridge cut off parts or dust covers in the parts bins here.

Thanks again sir, stay well and Happy Easter.

Dwayne

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Most gun shops can handle much of the basic work with these, but he should have it looked at for an assessment.

Frosty, you can take pics and send them to Collector's Source. They will be able to help establish a value. You may want to see if it can be restored. It might be worth some money.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

OP Offline
Thanks all for the replies. Steve's 303 reloading book was one of the first things I purchased after getting the rifle. I haven't had a chance to fire the gun yet, and now I am thinking I should have it thoroughly checked before doing so. I picked the rifle up at an auction and history is always a big unknown with these things.

The rifle is almost exactly like this one on JoeSalter (minus the tribal/folk art butt stock and issues stated previously):

<https://joesalter.ca/products/commercial-lee-enfield-sporting-rifle-C2486>

Mine also has a steel buttplate with some scroll work around the edge.

I'll contact Collector's Source and see what they have to say.

Happy Easter and stay healthy,

Frosty

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for buying the book, Frosty. These old rifles an always benefit from a checkup. If you can restore it, maybe shooting lead bullets might be a good idea.

All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

OP Offline
I just came across this website:

http://leeenfieldrestorations.com

Anybody have any experience with these guy? Feel free to send a PM if you'd prefer.

Cheers,
Frosty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frosty bacon;
Good evening to you, I hope the Easter Weekend was a good one for you and yours.

While I know less than nothing about the folks in the link, they are next door in Saskatchewan by the 306 area code.

If it were me, I'd surely give them a shout and see if you like what you find out.

Good luck with the project, all the best and stay well.

Dwayne

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Frosty_bacon

Anybody have any experience with these guy? Feel free to send a PM if you'd prefer.

Cheers,
Frosty

I don't. I have never heard of them, but it cannot hurt to give them a shout.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Frosty_bacon

Cheers,
Frosty

Welcome to the "Fire.
While I haven't used those folks, I have heard of them, good things for that matter.
Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.