Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Have a chance to hunt Colorado with a friends Brother. I don't really have a western elk rifle. I have a Rem 7600 35 Whelen, Winchester 100 308, Rem 740 30-06, CZ 550 mannlicher in 6.5x55. Only other bolt gun is a Rugger 77 in 250 Savage. Oh I forgot about the Marlin 1895 444 Marlin. Give me an excuse to buy a bolt rifle and in what caliber.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Go big or go home. The 338wm was made for elk killing.
I'd look for an older Winchester model 70 with CRF.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How are you with recoil, your shooting distance limitations and how far are you going to hike every day?

Id pick up a tikka ss in 30 06 or not too recoil sensitive a 300 win mag or 300 wsm.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've killed well over 20 elk with a rebored 760 Remington, rebored to 35 Whelen.
Longest shot around 350ish.
Take the 7600 and go forth & slay elk!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
recoil does not bother me at all shooting to 400 yards is going to be required SW Colorado Hiking is going to be required. I was thinking a 338 win mag or 325 WSM Or just a plan jane 7mm rem mag in a lightweight

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just about everything you have will work. I prefer a 300WM, but also have a 308 as my backup. Since my first elk trip in 1996, I haven't taken a shot at elk past 140 yards or so. I like the comfort of knowing I could take a 400 yard shot if that was all I had. My advice is not caliber related; I think way too much time is spent on worrying about caliber. Get a good solid copper (TSX) bullet in whatever caliber suits you and move on. My number one piece of advice for new elk hunters is GET IN SHAPE. The mountains will kick your ass, it hurts less if you're in shape. In terms of a rifle, go for something stainless and under 8 pounds with an optic, sling, and full magazine.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 04/13/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had my model 700 .338 win mag since 1978 for the annual Moose and elk hunt it's the only rifle I use for Moose and elk. If I had to buy a new 338 today it would be a Winchester model 70. The 338 will not disappoint.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd go with the 35 Whelen. That said a new Sako 85 Carbonlight in 300 win mag would be a delight to carry and should point well. It will shoot great also if you have a good tolerance for recoil as stated. Very few things in my opinion kick like an Uber light 300 win mag. I do not care for recoil much past a 338 win mag in a standard weight sporter. YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It’s hard to recommend something based on so few details, but of your choices I would the 7mm Rem Mag, a good scope and mounts; find which factory loads with a good bullet it likes, and shoot all summer.

Go to as many different gun shops you can and heft different factory rifles fo find something that feels good to you.

That said, assuming your rifles have average accuracy, you already have a couple of “elk rifles.”

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
the 35 whelen shoots 1 inch the 444 shoots 1.5 at most sometime smaller. Believe it or not the winny 100 308 is 1.5 to 2 that gun likes about anything I don't know why

IC B3

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
You can tell my rifle selection is gared to upper midwest whitetail hunting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, there you go. You don’t need to buy an elk rifle. Choose the 35 for a primary and the 308 as a back-up.
You do want to have a back-up — stuff happens.

Thirty years ago though I wouldn’t have listened to my own advice. 🙂

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Well, there you go. You don’t need to buy an elk rifle. Choose the 35 for a primary and the 308 as a back-up.

Thirty years ago though I wouldn’t have listened to my own advice. 🙂

This is good advice. Now you did not discuss the scopes you have on each rifle but if you must have a new rifle sell the Rem 740 30-06 and get the Tikka T3x in 30-06 and purchase as good a rifle scope as you can.

Binoculars? They may be as important as the rifle.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

^This right there is what I was about to write ^
But if you have an itch for a new elk rifle tikka T3x In 7mag, 300 win mag. ...Or the 338 if you must have thumper
New limb saver, talley or dnz rings. And scope of your choice. I am 2-10 or 3-12 fan .
My main elk gun is tikka 06 with 3.5-10 CDS dial for 168TTSX and I would take any elk at 400.
Only reason I’m suggesting the magnums is you have 308 and 35W and there might be some over lap with an 06.

Last edited by Dre; 04/13/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dre

^
But if you have an itch for a new elk rifle tikka T3x In 7mag, 300 win mag. ...Or the 338 if you must have thumper
New limb saver, talley or dnz rings. And scope of your choice. I am 2-10 or 3-12 fan .

^^^^^^^^^^

And this is what I was about to write.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Your 35 Whelen will do the trick. For longer shots (250+) you need a good rangefinder or rangefinding binocs and a thorough knowledge of your bullets' drop curve. My 338 Win Mag and my 30-06 have the same drop curve with 250 and 180 grain Partitions at 2700 MV respecively. With a 100 yard zero, they fall 1 foot at 300, 2 feet at 400 and 4 feet at 500. I use a Leupold duplex reticule, and hold high shoulder at 300, 6 inches over the back at 400, and have not yet taken a 500 yard shot. You can nitpick inches plus or minus, but I dont know anybody that can say he held over 46 inches versus 49 inches. Just sayin. Taking the shot is easy if you make the stalk. Finding the elk is sometimes the whole hunt.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I like the idea of the .35 W.. But if you want a new rifle, my first pick would be a .300mag.. second would be a 7mm RM.. I am a Remington fan, but all of mine are older models I have worked over the Tikka sounds great for a new rifle.. You can talk hold over, turrets, range finders all day, but when the shot comes especially if you are diy it may be late and quick.. You may have to estimate the range yourself. A forgotten art with today's hunters..If it is late and the shot must be made, I want something that shoots as flat as possible.. My .300 WM with 165 gr. handloads shoots flat enough to hold on the top of the back and make a chest hit. If those calibers are not your cup of tea, the check out a .270 or .30/06 bolt rifle.. That .35 would be awesome in a timber area with some open parks, but parks can be difficult to guesstimate the range.. You can measure before time, but when the shot comes you may only have minutes to estimate, get a solid rest , and shoot.. You will want to hit that elk hard enough he won't run 200 yards just at dusk.. When I really hunted elk seriously, many of my shots came as the sun was setting or just after.. That doesn't give one much time to make the shot, get to the animal and get it dress and set for the night.. Something to remember the flatter shooting rifles kill just as well or better at close ranges.. Hagel pointed out you can kill and elk or deer at 100 yards dead with a .45-70, a 270- .300 will do that plus make a long shot easy.. I have tried the .338's.. They hit hard, but to gain over a 7 or .300 you must get a 250 gr. then the traj. becomes a problem again.. I hunt elk every year and have for 50 years.. Cover varies a great deal.. Colo. s elk hunting may all be close shots in timber.. I gave that up years ago.. I am fortunate to live in country that has elk from the prairies to the high mountains.. Best of luck!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=bsa1917hunter]Go big or go home. The 338wm was made for elk killing.

^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^ Winner, Winner....Chicken Dinner! bsa1917 nailed it in both cartridge and firearm! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/13/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
338 WM

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
SLDUCK,

In my post above I suggested selling the Rem 740. I normally would not talk about a man's rifle selections but unless you have the rare exception that rifle is a jamb/failure just waiting to happen on an expensive hunt. I owned a Rem 760 30-06 as my only centerfire rifle for 25 years and really loved that rifle. In a weak moment I sold it cheaply to a friend who had very little money and needed a rifle for his son, which I had kept it.

Your Rem 760, Win 100, the CZ550 and the Ruger 77 are all fine rifles. Now is the time to get rid of that 740 and get a really good bolt action rifle in 30-06. Use the money from the sale to upgrade the new rifle or optics.

By the way I own a 338-06 (that I have killed one elk with) and I have a Win 70 35 whelen and if I was hunting elk again where shots up to 400 yards are available I would be taking my 30-06. If hunting the timber and shots more than 250 to 300 yards are virtually impossible I would take my 338-06 or 35 whelen.

Upgrade that 30-06 and enjoy your elk hunt.

Last edited by VaHunter; 04/13/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Give me an excuse to buy a bolt rifle and in what caliber.

SLD - I don't know this guy personally. We've never met. We've never talked on the phone. I know he HAS a rep fot hunting and ELK hunting. 50 yrs. Experience, okay?
There are those who claim elk experience but are lacking...great on paper tho.

[quote=WyoCoyoteHunter]But if you want a new rifle, my first pick would be a .300mag.. second would be a 7mm RM..

I am a Remington fan, but all of mine are older models I have worked over the Tikka sounds great for a new rifle.. You can talk hold over, turrets, range finders all day,

but when the shot comes especially if you are diy it may be late and quick.. You may have to estimate the range yourself. A forgotten art with today's hunters..If it is late and the shot must be made,

I want something that shoots as flat as possible.. My .300 WM with 165 gr. handloads shoots flat enough to hold on the top of the back and make a chest hit.

If those calibers are not your cup of tea, the check out a .270 or .30/06 bolt rifle.. That .35 would be awesome in a timber area with some open parks, but parks can be difficult to guesstimate the range.. You can measure before time, but when the shot comes you may only have minutes to estimate, get a solid rest , and shoot..

You will want to hit that elk hard enough he won't run 200 yards just at dusk.. When I really hunted elk seriously, many of my shots came as the sun was setting or just after.. That doesn't give one much time to make the shot, get to the animal and get it dress and set for the night..

Something to remember the flatter shooting rifles kill just as well or better at close ranges.. Hagel pointed out you can kill and elk or deer at 100 yards dead with a .45-70, a 270- .300 will do that plus make a long shot easy..

I have tried the .338's.. They hit hard, but to gain over a 7 or .300 you must get a 250 gr. then the traj. becomes a problem again.. I hunt elk every year and have for 50 years.. Cover varies a great deal.. Colo. s elk hunting may all be close shots in timber.. I gave that up years ago.. I am fortunate to live in country that has elk from the prairies to the high mountains.. Best of luck!!

That is as "they say" in the news or wx, 'breaking it down' for you.

Good Advice.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, there are those types of elk hunters you mention. Being from Iowa I didn’t get into elk until my thirties and then went about every third year or so until just recently.

So I’ve gone on maybe 25-28 hunts and have taken about thirteen, most all bulls, and a cow. This included in three states multiple times. While I’m no expert, I have some experience.

I’ve hunted with the 284 Win, 7mm RM, 30/06, 300 WM, 300 Wby, the 338, the 340 Wby, and the 45 Colt. I spent a lot of times working through these cartridges and ended up taking the majority of my bulls with the 340. I’ve seen an almost equal number taken by other hunters and buddies, and other guns.

So I know something of what an elk takes, an especially a bit about the magnums as I spent more time with them. It’s one reason I don’t recommend a 338 to a new elk hunter not knowing a lot about him — the 300’s (all), the 338, 340 are for serious shooters who are committed to learn them; even that doesn’t guarantee they will shoot them well. They can be very unpleasant and a disappointment.

My last bull was taken with the 284 Win because it’s proven to me I could kill the appropriate opportunity to 400 yards.

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Cant sell the 740. It was my dad's. He hunted northern minn with it

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V

I understand that, good for you for keeping it. My brother has my fathers Rem 742 30-06 that he keeps for the same reason.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Man, you are sitting on a pile of workable elk rifles. Maybe spend money on a better scope if needed, or good binoculars. Or ammo, and trips to the range. Or whatever items you need to get into the best shape of your adult life. Any of your rifles will do, if you will. Spend the money making sure you will. Just my opinion, you can and should spend your money as you see fit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It’s hard to recommend something based on so few details, but of your choices I would the 7mm Rem Mag, a good scope and mounts; find which factory loads with a good bullet it likes, and shoot all summer.

Go to as many different gun shops you can and heft different factory rifles fo find something that feels good to you.

That said, assuming your rifles have average accuracy, you already have a couple of “elk rifles.”

^^^This^^^

And if your gonna go with a 7 Rem Mag, use a 150 or 160 gr Nosler Partition. Thank me later. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
[quote=bsa1917hunter]Go big or go home. The 338wm was made for elk killing.

^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^ Winner, Winner....Chicken Dinner! bsa1917 nailed it in both cartridge and firearm! memtb

Well of course I did. I've hunted elk for many years and that is my number 1 pick. Second choice is a 30-06 that shoots 200gr Nosler partitions well...I could have said any of his rifles will work, but I didn't think that was what the OP was wanting to hear. Who knows, maybe he was going to show his wife this thread and say see dear, these guys think I need a new rifle..... grin

Hey, its nice to get a new rifle. I can't go a month without having to buy a new rifle, so I know what that is all about!!!!

Again, this is my pick:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
What's a thread and suggestion without a few pics?

Make sure that it shoots good and is dialed in and there's no excuses when you miss.....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I see so many guys bragging about how good their rifles shoot and its way off 6 inches to the left or right and it's only a 3 shot group. You want to hit near and far, make sure it shoots good and is dialed in... Nuff said...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
.35 Whelen with a 225 gr TBBC or Partition.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have a chance to hunt Colorado with a friends Brother. I don't really have a western elk rifle. I have a Rem 7600 35 Whelen, Winchester 100 308, Rem 740 30-06, CZ 550 mannlicher in 6.5x55. Only other bolt gun is a Rugger 77 in 250 Savage. Oh I forgot about the Marlin 1895 444 Marlin. Give me an excuse to buy a bolt rifle and in what caliber.

You don’t need a magnum to kill elk, you just need one bullet placed properly. Less recoil helps with that.

If you want something different than what you have I’d get a lightweight stainless/synthetic 270 of some sort. It will be far more preferable to carry on a mountain than a typical magnum and will kill elk just as dead... and maybe “deader” since it will be more fun to shoot.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good Lord....

I've never killed an elk with over 55 grains or so powder per shot or a bullet over .284"....

It simply isn't needed. Elk have giant lungs and a heart. Perforate them and the elk dies.

Don't make it harder than it is.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
How would you know how a bigger gun works.. Hit in the vitals, the elk will die.. How soon is the question.. More destruction faster death..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lots of caliber thoughts here. all of them will work given a good bullet + proper placement.

if you are going to buy a new rifle cause you can afford it and want to..... I'd highly recommend a rifle with a naked weight under 6#.

Kimber Montana
Savage LWH
Tikka Superlight

are all good considerations meeting those specs.

I hunt with a blued/wood Savage LWH in .308, Talley rings, Redfield Revolution 4x12-40, using 165gr Nosler AB's and can recommend that specific combo. Worked on a 5x6 in 2016 at 19 yards and a ~300# black bear in 2019 at 220 yards. Both lungshot, and died within 50 yards of contact. I like that setup so much I bought a duplicate of it in stainless for my sons birthday.

My rifle weighs right at 7# fully loaded with scope + sling and are exceedingly pleasant to carry all day for 5 straight days. I cant say that for my "normal" rifles.

another convenience of "regular" calibers is magazine capacity. My Savage will hold 4 rounds of 308 in the magazine. Most magnums top out at 3 rounds, and some, just two. =/ I'm happy to not have needed that 2nd+ round yet on an elk hunt, but that magazine seems like a great place to have them! smile

have a great trip, and the best advice I've read above is that "get in shape" recommendation, especially in SW Co. Some units (and some areas in those units) are far steeper than others.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
all great cartridges mentioned but if you wanted a new bigger bolt rifle 7mm Rem.Mag. it is a great choice,get a good scope & mounts put a bi-pod on the rifle and learn how to use it,shoot 140 gr. bullet,you will do just fine. 30-06 is also a good choice.good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not an elk hunter. But back when I was a kid, the idea was to have an all around rifle that would cover all of North America. Just in case. And I was under the impression that anywhere you'd find elk you'd also find grizzlies. The thought was to carry a rifle that would take care of large bears. So for my first centerfire rifle I bought a Remington 700 BDL 30-06, which is often thought of as the minimum for big bears, and probably still a good choice for elk.

Now it appears that the big bears are not supposed to be south of Wyoming. The parameters now have a different outlook for the southern half of Colorado and New Mexico, so I might be inclined to choose a lighter weight rifle in the slightly flatter shooting and lower recoiling 270 for carrying in rugged country. But I don't think the Big 7 is a terrible choice if you don't mind the extra barrel length and weight, and enjoy the feeling that your shooting a more powerful rifle when you touch it off.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk rifle/cartridge threads are always a hoot.

You know it’s serious when the target pics start showing up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Elk rifle/cartridge threads are always a hoot.

You know it’s serious when the target pics start showing up.

Word.

I have my coffee. I have my entertainment for the morning.

I now have happy ending. I LOVE happy ending.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

yep i got my dad`s Rem.740/280 too ,he also hunted Northern Minnesota " Togo " ,the rifle is gun vault retired.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brother in law bought a Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 a few years ago, loads Partitions for it, forget what weight, 165s or 180s. Bedded in a McMillan, Leupold VX-2 2-7 or 3-9 I forget which, It is his do all rifle. Elk, deer, antelope, coyote. One rifle, one load. So boring...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
bsa1917hunter, I ran your post past my wife, and she agreed with your choice.....hence the “attaboy”! She recognizes a good elk rifle/cartridge! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, you could get by with something you already have.

If buying new, don’t see much reason to go above a 300WSM or 300 Win Mag. Of course, personal preference is a biggie.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
How would you know how a bigger gun works.. Hit in the vitals, the elk will die.. How soon is the question.. More destruction faster death..

I've used everything from the 7-08 to the 338 Win Mag... I've never seen a difference how "fast" they die. In fact the quickest elk I've had die was with the 7-08 - an old 8.5 yo bull that gave up the ghost almost on his feet.

Most guys that push magnums have limited experience with lighter cartridges. Their biases/assumptions led them to magnums, and they plant their flag there...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I've used everything from the 7-08 to the 338 Win Mag... I've never seen a difference how "fast" they die. In fact the quickest elk I've had die was with the 7-08 - an old 8.5 yo bull that gave up the ghost almost on his feet.

Most guys that push magnums have limited experience with lighter cartridges. Their biases/assumptions led them to magnums, and they plant their flag there...

Well Brad, my wife has been killing elk since 1974. And has used....243’s, 264 WM’s, 270 Win’s and the .338 WM. She is quite competent with her .338 WM, and has no desire to use a lesser cartridge for elk, moose, bear, etc! So, she has experience ....and much prefers the “magnum”! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/14/20.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Brad, my wife has been killing elk since 1974. And has used....243’s, 264 WM’s, 270 Win’s and the .338 WM. She is quite competent with her .338 WM, and has no desire to use a lesser cartridge for elk, moose, bear, etc! So, she has experience ....and much prefers the “magnum”! memtb

So the elk didn't die with her 270?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

So the elk didn't die with her 270?

Yes, several died! In fact with the proper conditions, a .22 rim fire can very effectively kill an elk....but, that doesn’t make it a “proper” choice! Overall, she’s merely had much better and faster results with the .338 WM. We’re all entitled to our opinions, often formed by years of experiences....both good and bad! Obviously, most any cartridge can kill an elk.....with proper placement of the projectile. Some hunters can effectively use a magnum cartridge....and some cannot. To each his or her own.....only the shooter/hunter can make the determination what is best for them! memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said the 30/06 was your Dad's rifle. No brainer to me------take it----Your Dad will be there too.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I understand the "need" for a new rifle however the 6.5x55 has been killing large animals for what 127 years? Light handy and the definition of hunting rifle. How well do you shoot it?

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang, a lot of you trying to talk the op into using what he already has. Shame on you guys...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A lot of this is retread, but I realize that there is another generation of hunters here and/or guys that are new to the ‘Fire.

I remember Bob Milek writing in maybe the ‘80’s about the 338 Mag for elk; Ross Seyfried extolling the virtues of the 340 for big, big game, in maybe ‘90 or ‘91, and Craig Boddington, also, writing about the 340 and the particularly the 8mm RM for elk.

And then their was Bob Hagel writing about using the 378 Wby for a Shiras moose in Idaho or Wy. Not to mention Elmer Kieth — didn't he mention that the 270 would make a good “varmint rifle” or something similar?

This was back during the time of magazines some of which tilted toward hunting while others tilted toward rifles and cartridges that loony guys like me got their information from. Not living in elk country and with little or no experience, gun writers were the source of information. They were hugely influential in driving the market though I don’t ever remember John Barseness, here, advising big cartridges for elk.

So, it isn’t just clinical question of what’s right for elk. There are hunters for which the rifle and cartridge are no different than a pliers — a tool — and who don’t know and don’t care much about the details. And then there are loony’s who drool over every new cartridge, and back then, magnum cartridges especially, and like to shoot them.

So in short, I ended up hunting about twenty years with a 340 and taking about 9 or ten bulls with it. First, because I thought it or something like it was almost necessary; secondly, because I thoroughly enjoyed it and the rifle it was in, though realizing after awhile, it wasn’t needed especially after bullets took a huge leap ahead in quality and integrity.

My last bull was taken handily in ‘18 with a 284 Win with the TTSX 140-gr bullet. There are now a slew of cartridges from 6.5 to 375 with a good bullet that can readily be used for elk without apology and there are no doubt hundreds of opinions as to which is best. Possibly, within reason, there are more right answers than wrong ones. There are too many variables to be dogmatic about it.

The one thing I am cautious about is recommending a big magnum to a new elk hunter, not because it might not be a great elk cartridge but because the big cartridges take more work to do well with than the smaller cartridges. Just a simple fact.

Apparently, I have too much time on my hands. 🙂. And this is probably not worth much more than what you paid for it. 🤔

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just letting g u guys know I am not new to high power. Shoot all my guns equal. Shoot them all often. Recoil not a problem. I dont see much difference with another 10 ft lbs of recoil with s 338. I have a 1917 sporter in 30 06. Maybe i will just rebore to 358 norma and push the envelope

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Or maybe 340 weatherby

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
only the shooter/hunter can make the determination what is best for them! memtb

Indeed, but this thread is about reccomending a rifle to a guy none of us know.

Given that the man’s current arsenal is heavier blued/wood rifles, it seems like folly to reccomend a magnum in another heavy platform. Hence my reccomendation of a lightish stainless/plastic rifle. It’s a rifle he can use here in the Rockies or home in MN. If there’s more of a “Classic Western Cartridge” than the 270, I don’t know what it is.

Course, I’d be curious about his binoculars... those are a hell of a lot more important than the rifle he’s carrying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, the two “B’s” — boots and binoculars.

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Danner and zeiss on the b and b. Kenetrek to

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Zeiss conquest 10x. Elk hunters and grouse models on dannerd plus 12 inch kenetrek pacs

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ain’t been a bad choice in the bunch. I’m with George, Brad, BSA and the like. Every suggestion has been good. I’ve hunted a pretty fair amount with a 338 Win and 7 mag, either a Mashburn or Rem Mag. My opinion is pick out a rifle you really like from 7-08 on up, get it shooting to your satisfaction with a really great bullet and forget about the rest.

Good luck and agreed, Boots’s, bins and rangefinder are key pieces of my gear.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Everything you have will work fine. If 400 yards is a true possibility, I would choose the 6.5x55. WIth 140 PT or AB, you would have no problem. A good pair of binoculars would be of more use than another gun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Ain’t been a bad choice in the bunch. I’m with George, Brad, BSA and the like. Every suggestion has been good. I’ve hunted a pretty fair amount with a 338 Win and 7 mag, either a Mashburn or Rem Mag. My opinion is pick out a rifle you really like from 7-08 on up, get it shooting to your satisfaction with a really great bullet and forget about the rest.

Great post buddy. Id also add gaiters to that list. I use kenetrek and they sure are nice.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Great post buddy. Id also add gaiters to that list. I use kenetrek and they sure are nice.

YES! Good point. I use OR's myself, but definitely a great pair of gaiters is not optional for me.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To each their own....If there's not at least 6" or so of snow on the ground, gaiters are a no go for me. They're too hot, and I honestly have not seen much need for them without snow. Wet bushes just cause water to run down the inside of them....they can help some with spines and thorns, but that's about it and to me at least, that benefit is not worth how hot they make my legs. OP, do you know what season you'll be doing this hunt (if you go)? 4th season very possibly could have snow.

To answer your original question, I'd either take your 6.5x55, or look into a bolt rifle with a standard chambering: .270 Win, .30-06, .308 Win: whatever trips your trigger. Being a first timer, I doubt you'll be doing anything technical, long range, etc. You'll be fine with about any factory rifle capable of a 300 yard shot. If you don't mind the magnums, by all means---have at them.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wear Kenetrek gaiters unless it is really warm. Keeps twigs, briars, bugs and such our of the boots. Don’t usually have to worry about it being too warm. Happy Trails

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gaiters are so over blown it’s laughable. And to think they make a top recommendation on a thread that is about a new rifle. Reread what T Inman said.

I wouldn’t be super happy about your current rifle choices. Of course they could work, but other stuff works gooder. Buy a decent bolt action that you like and could use at home that you can shoot. Recoil is over blown too. I think most hunters just aren’t that good of shots and they don’t know their rifle. For me warning signs of a crappy game shot are; bragging about group size, long range rigs, new rigs, fumbling while loading/unloading.

Buy something from 270-7-30s load it with a solid bullet, put a known scope of reasonable power and size and shoot the crap out of it not from a treestand or bench. Preferably on critters that are moving around.

Then worry about the important stuff like being in shape and your boots.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WAM
I wear Kenetrek gaiters unless it is really warm. Keeps twigs, briars, bugs and such our of the boots. Don’t usually have to worry about it being too warm. Happy Trails

Yeah, when i hunt its always cold and wet. Some of these guys might hunt in t shirts and shorts and shoot at elk in farmers fields, but where i hunt, you got to go in after them to be successful. Success is not great either, 4% most years according to the synopsis. Ill shoot 1 ever other year, but you have to be prepared to get the job done.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Your 35 Whelen, 30-06 and 308 will all do just fine.
Of course, a first time elk hunt is all the excuse any man needs to purchase a new firearm...and you did ask for an excuse to do just that. Good luck and have fun.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM

Yeah, when i hunt its always cold and wet. Some of these guys might hunt in t shirts and shorts and shoot at elk in farmers fields, but where i hunt, you got to go in after them to be successful. Success is not great either, 4% most years according to the synopsis. Ill shoot 1 ever other year, but you have to be prepared to get the job done.

Out of 25 or so elk, I've never shot one on private...let alone a farmer's field. That's not to say I wouldn't, if given the opportunity.

People have individual comforts, discomforts and phenology. Some people sweat more, all else being equal. Some people get cold easier than others. I've shot elk in T shirt weather and I've shot them at 20 below. Maybe my body type v.s. others has something to do with some gear not working for me, when it does for others...

I can see why you've got the reputation that you do around here....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As others have said the vital area of an elk is quite large. An elk will do a long dead run invariably down hill or into some nasty bush. This is why I prefer the 338 win mag for the shoulder shot so it stays where it's been shot. I use to shoot all big game in the vitals but after dead runs and nasty recoveries I quit. If the animal is 100 yards or less and I am able to get in a steady field position I shoot for the neck or spine other than that it's the shoulder. A hunting companion drilled a Moose in the heart with a 30-06 it ran through the bush with no chance of a follow up shot for about 200 yards where it expired in a swamp. Fun times getting it out of there.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You’re an idiot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have elk rifles up the kazoo. What you mean is that you WANT a new elk rifle, you don't NEED one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just up here farming in my tank top and short pants.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Ralphie; 04/15/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Gaiters are so over blown it’s laughable. And to think they make a top recommendation on a thread that is about a new rifle. Reread what T Inman said.

I wouldn’t be super happy about your current rifle choices. Of course they could work, but other stuff works gooder. Buy a decent bolt action that you like and could use at home that you can shoot. Recoil is over blown too. I think most hunters just aren’t that good of shots and they don’t know their rifle. For me warning signs of a crappy game shot are; bragging about group size, long range rigs, new rigs, fumbling while loading/unloading.

Buy something from 270-7-30s load it with a solid bullet, put a known scope of reasonable power and size and shoot the crap out of it not from a treestand or bench. Preferably on critters that are moving around.

Then worry about the important stuff like being in shape and your boots.

Yes....

It's really really easy to separate those who get out a lot and those who don't....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by WAM

Out of 25 or so elk, I've never shot one on private...let alone a farmer's field. That's not to say I wouldn't, if given the opportunity.

People have individual comforts, discomforts and phenology. Some people sweat more, all else being equal. Some people get cold easier than others. I've shot elk in T shirt weather and I've shot them at 20 below. Maybe my body type v.s. others has something to do with some gear not working for me, when it does for others...

I can see why you've got the reputation that you do around here....

Another who gets out a lot....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My wife slays the piss out of elk with a 7-08, a freaking pink camo stock, and a 140 Etip at 2700 muzzle velocity...

She's laughing at a lot of you and shaking her head.....

- Greg

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Try some Barnes 180 TTSX factory loads in that 35 Whelen. If it shoots a consistent 2"@100, zero it where you want and check the drops out to 500. There are trigger kits/replacements for the 7600, and the 180 shoots flat, hits hard. I love the Medium Calibers and there is nothing wrong with getting a "Out West' rifle. A 35 Whelen with a 180-200 TTSX runs "along with" 300s/338s, etc. Out to 350 or so for sure. Leave that 1917 for the deer stand, ha, too heavy.

Look at the Tikka TX3 Super Lite ( or Tikka T3X Lite, whatever its called ) and if it fits you, pick a 7mm Mag and have a ball! It will work for the "beanfield shots" back home, a fine coyote rifle, and for your elk. OR, get a .270 (or similar) and do the same thing. smile But use good bullets....try to outfit yourself, from clothes to equipment as "light as possible". Do alot of cardio, up high and working hard, your Ol Ticker will be thumping! But have a ball!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/16/20.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WAM

I hear you!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing at all wrong with a 35 Whelen for elk out to 400 yards with practice. My dedicated Elk Rifle is a 300 Weatherby with a Zeiss 3-15 Z800 reticle that is very accurate to 600 yards but that is with long range practice 800+ yards.

Future son-in law is getting one for his birthday Friday & will put a Leupold VX6 3-18 on it.

My suggestion for elk hunting typically is a Tikka 300 WSM to keep the short action & lightweight are more pleasant to haul up hills with a scope you like. My eyes are older & appreciate a big objective & extra power but not needed for younger better eyes, our shots average around 300 yards in the sage & oak brush. The last guy who bought the Tikka & Zeiss 3-9x40 and has killed several elk & deer with it.

I like having the extra thump of the 300 with 180 grain Barnes vs a 7 Mag with 150’s that I started with. My son-in-law switched from 7 to 300 Wby & Zeiss v4 last season and was impressed with the effect it had on a big cow just under 200 yards.

So if you need an excuse for a new rifle elk hunting is an excellent one. Comfortable light warm boots are #1 on my elk list, good glass is 2 and accurate powerful rifle is 3. If you are hauling them out on your back like we do a good pack is high priority too.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by specneeds
Nothing at all wrong with a 35 Whelen for elk out to 400 yards with practice. My dedicated Elk Rifle is a 300 Weatherby with a Zeiss 3-15 Z800 reticle that is very accurate to 600 yards but that is with long range practice 800+ yards.

Future son-in law is getting one for his birthday Friday & will put a Leupold VX6 3-18 on it.

My suggestion for elk hunting typically is a Tikka 300 WSM to keep the short action & lightweight are more pleasant to haul up hills with a scope you like. My eyes are older & appreciate a big objective & extra power but not needed for younger better eyes, our shots average around 300 yards in the sage & oak brush. The last guy who bought the Tikka & Zeiss 3-9x40 and has killed several elk & deer with it.

I like having the extra thump of the 300 with 180 grain Barnes vs a 7 Mag with 150’s that I started with. My son-in-law switched from 7 to 300 Wby & Zeiss v4 last season and was impressed with the effect it had on a big cow just under 200 yards.

So if you need an excuse for a new rifle elk hunting is an excellent one. Comfortable light warm boots are #1 on my elk list, good glass is 2 and accurate powerful rifle is 3. If you are hauling them out on your back like we do a good pack is high priority too.

Tikka doesn't make a short action.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve only shot two elk. One with a 7 mag 160 NP. One with a 338 and 250NP. One bull and one cow. The 338 knocked the cow down so fast I thought I’d missed. I’ve shot quite a few elk size animals in Africa with a real odd ball cartridge.... an 8 mm rem mag using 200tsx at about 3000fps.... it kills stuff dead right now. I doubt you’ll have much luck finding one but there are always cheap used 325wsm on the internet.... I’d get one of those. They are peas in a pod with the mighty 8 mag. If you’re not a reloader get whatever between 7/08-338 that tickles your fancy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by ammoman16

Tikka doesn't make a short action.

Exactly right. Tikka makes an outstanding rifle for the money. Guaranteed 3 shot MOA, lightweight, stainless, etc. When I spoken with Sako at SHOT show, they say it's the same barrel as a Sako, which has a 5- shot MOA guarantee. The only reason is the 5 shot guarantee isn't offered in the Tikka is so people want to pay more for the Sako. Sako mastered manufacturing economies with the Tikka. It's same action for every gun (long), even the mag's are the same, they just add a spacer for the short action rounds. If you go the Tikka route, stick with a long action cartridge and get the most from the rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GregW
My wife slays the piss out of elk with a 7-08, a freaking pink camo stock, and a 140 Etip at 2700 muzzle velocity...

And then there are some that shoot them with 243w and the like. There's nothing wrong with that either, as long as you can put the animal down humanely with one shot... I use a 338wm because I know I can put them down with one shot, at any angle and damn near any distance... I also trust a good 30-06 with 200gr partitions. That combo is damn hard to beat... I'm not going to "laugh" at anyone here because of the cartridge they choose, but if it ends up a goat fu ck rodeo because you have to take multiple shots on an elk, then I get a little pizzed. You owe it to the animal you are hunting to put them to sleep fast...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

And then there are some that shoot them with 243w and the like. There's nothing wrong with that either, as long as you can put the animal down humanely with one shot... I use a 338wm because I know I can put them down with one shot, at any angle and damn near any distance... I also trust a good 30-06 with 200gr partitions. That combo is damn hard to beat... I'm not going to "laugh" at anyone here because of the cartridge they choose, but if it ends up a goat fu ck rodeo because you have to take multiple shots on an elk, then I get a little pizzed. You owe it to the animal you are hunting to put them to sleep fast...

I'll pass along that great info to my wife...

- Greg

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I witnessed such a GF rodeo about 10 years ago. Two yahoos chasing an elk across a hillside and shot the poor bull about 5-6 times before the poor critter finally expired, probably from anxiety. When they walked down the hillside to the county road my friend and I were parked on talking before witnessing the debacle, one of the lads quipped, “I guess I need a bigger gun” rather sheepishly. My buddy asked what he was shooting and he replied “.243”. My buddy replied , “maybe so”. Whether it was the caliber, poor shooting, poor choice of bullet, or all of the above, I don’t know. I didn’t question the lads or tell them what I was thinking since I learned a long time ago not to confront 2 armed men while being unarmed myself. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Shooting a cow out of your outfitters pasture, while laying the rifle over your truck mounted window rest isn't hunting...….but you hero's keep flapping your gums! You're great entertainment!

Just make sure you wear a Dairy Queen hat while doing it so you can be like your pipsqueak 24hr resident elk hero.

Laughing at you......

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior

Shooting a cow out of your outfitters pasture, while laying the rifle over your truck mounted window rest isn't hunting...….but you hero's keep flapping your gums! You're great entertainment!

Just make sure you wear a Dairy Queen hat while doing it so you can be like your pipsqueak 24hr resident elk hero.

Laughing at you......

That's it. You know my wife well but she prefers the Burger King crown FYI...

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I'll pass along that great info to my wife...

Greg, he kills the schittttt outa those paper targets. Animals........not so much. Be sure to tell her that too, especially the 338WM kills 'em dead with one shot from any angle and "damn near any distance". That's a pearl right there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Laughing at you......

Good gosh......the level of dumbassery around here is growing at a much faster rate than the COVID19 every thought of growing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Laughing at you......

That's it. You know my wife well but she prefers the Burger King crown FYI...

LOL, have it your way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Should have posted some target pics to bolster your claims.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
recoil does not bother me at all shooting to 400 yards is going to be required SW Colorado Hiking is going to be required. I was thinking a 338 win mag or 325 WSM Or just a plan jane 7mm rem mag in a lightweight

Those are all fine choices. So is a properly loaded .270 Win, .280 Rem, .280AI, .30-06 or .300 WM. The ones you suggest as well as these are all capable well beyond 600 yards when properly loaded.

I load 150g Nosler ABLR 20 2910fps for Daughter #1's .270 Win. At 7000 feet altitude and 700 yards it delivers 2100fps and 1500fpe with a gentle 18ft-lbs recoil. My .280 Rem with a Nosler 150g ABLR is good to 650 yards. A .30-06 loaded with a 168g ABLR delivers 2000fps/1500fpe past 700 yards at 7000 feet altitude.

The launch platform is less important the projectile, but I'm a big fan of Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye rifles. You can pick up a Ruger Hawkeye .30-06 at cdnnsports.com for $499. Or a .280 Rem for $469. I have one of the Hawkeye .280 Rem rifles and love it. Bought one of the CDNN Ruger .30-06 rifles of a SIL, wish I had one myself.

Most bullets will work most of the time but a wounded elk can go further and faster than you can. For that reason I prefer bullets that will penetrate to the vitals from any angle. The bullets I trust most to do that are Barnes TTSX and LRX, North Fork SS, Nosler Partition and AccuBond, Swift A-Frame and Scirocco II. Have not personally used the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, Edge TLR or Terminal Ascent but would do so with complete confidence. These bullets combine the best characteristics of my preferred bullets – a bonded lead core up front with a solid rear rear.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Good gosh......the level of dumbassery around here is growing at a much faster rate than the COVID19 every thought of growing.

Indeed... but you expected different?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If the OP really wants a new rifle, based on what he has then I would recommend a magnum of some flavor. Keep it under 8 pounds scoped and shoot it. 7 mag and 300 mag both have inexpensive factory ammo if you don’t reload. Use a tough bullet for hunting and you’ll be good if a shot opportunity comes.

As for the dumbass comments toward creekworrior I believe he is fed up with folks who are fortunate enough to hunt large ranches presenting themselves as know it alls. I don’t know how anyone hunts here and could care less as long as this sport continues. We are on the same team and all have similar views on the big things. Hunting pressured elk is very different from hunting elk on private. They both have there challenges, I’ve done both, but public land elk are much tougher to get close too. Creekworrior taught me to hunt and fed me and my sister and my mom with elk meat growing up. When he was harvesting elk every year with a rifle he switched to a compound bow. When that became “easy” he switched to a recurve and made his own arrows. I wish I knew half he does about elk hunting. He bugles big bulls into spitting distance to this day. Hunting hard and getting close to the elk are the experiences that made me love hunting and have a major respect for elk.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pretty bold of you and your dad to assume people on this thread are killing their elk on large ranches.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I never said that did I? But there’s a difference in hunting style. One requires a lot more skill and work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, this thread just keeps on giving...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Laughing at you......

This is a jewel that needs to be saved...LMFAO 😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What do u think about s winny xlr in 325 wsm. I'm not looking for a gun that last 100 years

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Cutlass1971
If the OP really wants a new rifle, based on what he has then I would recommend a magnum of some flavor. Keep it under 8 pounds scoped and shoot it. 7 mag and 300 mag both have inexpensive factory ammo if you don’t reload. Use a tough bullet for hunting and you’ll be good if a shot opportunity comes.

As for the dumbass comments toward creekworrior I believe he is fed up with folks who are fortunate enough to hunt large ranches presenting themselves as know it alls. I don’t know how anyone hunts here and could care less as long as this sport continues. We are on the same team and all have similar views on the big things. Hunting pressured elk is very different from hunting elk on private. They both have there challenges, I’ve done both, but public land elk are much tougher to get close too. Creekworrior taught me to hunt and fed me and my sister and my mom with elk meat growing up. When he was harvesting elk every year with a rifle he switched to a compound bow. When that became “easy” he switched to a recurve and made his own arrows. I wish I knew half he does about elk hunting. He bugles big bulls into spitting distance to this day. Hunting hard and getting close to the elk are the experiences that made me love hunting and have a major respect for elk.

I commend you for defending the honor of your friend and provider but he shouldn't talk out of his ass at people he doesn't know. Pretty basic stuff.

I apologize to CreekWarrior for my wife killing elk with a 7-08. Better?

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Someone say pasture, outfitted, trespassing???? 😂😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]anonymous image hosting

6ai 80 gr bt’s 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never said that did I? But there’s a difference in hunting style. One requires a lot more skill and work.

It’s difficult keeping up with those that hunt diy pub land and those who hunt ranch property, either paid or friend/family access...

Doesn’t really matter to me what a person hunts, except when a member get’s it wrong and calls a public land hunter a pasture shooter.

That gives me a case of the red-ass. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Someone say pasture, outfitted, trespassing???? 😂😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]anonymous image hosting

6ai 80 gr bt’s 😂😂

We call that “Grocery Store Elk Hunting”....And it’s damn nice after having your nuts kicked inside out bull hunting.

👍🏻😜😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I’ve packed enough of em out in pieces, I deserve a easy one now and again!! 😆

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do u think about s winny xlr in 325 wsm. I'm not looking for a gun that last 100 years

DUCK, it wouldn’t be my choice of rifle and cartridge (do you mean the XPR line) but, yes, that combo will work on elk. The cartridge is not the most popular and ammo won’t be available everywhere if you don’t handload which is why I’d favor the 7mm RM, and second, the 300 WM if indeed you don’t stay with a standard cartridge.

But, if there’s a special reason you favor the 325 in the XPR, by all means...

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’m in agreement. If it’s private/pasture/bought paid for good for that person. Just don’t call it what it’s not and don’t give advise as an all knowing. I’ll give advise but I’m far from all knowing. The only thing I know for sure is how bad my body hates me after elk season, maybe that shows how much I don’t know 🤔

Last edited by Cutlass1971; 04/17/20. Reason: Spelling
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I’m in agreement. If it’s private/pasture/bought paid for good for that person. Just don’t call it what it’s not and don’t give advise as an all knowing. I’ll give advise but I’m far from all knowing. The only thing I know for sure is how bad my body hates me after elk season, maybe that shows how much I don’t know 🤔

Get back with whoever is left here on the Fire when you hit 70 and let them know you still feel the same way! Happy Trails

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I advise you to seek advice.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hopefully there’s places like this left to argue over hunting techniques, rifles and gear in 35 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I haven't seen anyone (in this thread at least) try to pass off a ranch hunt as a DIY public land hunt. For some reason BSA thinks if you don't wear gaiters then you're on a ranch hunt, but that's all that's been brought up and beside the point.

As for your last sentence, maybe it just shows you have the wrong attitude.
My body hates me the day after I get one out on my back, but my mind loves it.
Getting the darn things out is one of my favorite parts. It keeps me in shape, and gives me incentive to stay in shape...It's way the hell better than going to the gym.

YMMV but that's how I see it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Getting the darn things out is one of my favorite parts. It keeps me in shape, and gives me incentive to stay in shape...

Yep. And if it was easy, everybody would be back in there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just letting g u guys know I am not new to high power. Shoot all my guns equal. Shoot them all often. Recoil not a problem. I dont see much difference with another 10 ft lbs of recoil with s 338. I have a 1917 sporter in 30 06. Maybe i will just rebore to 358 norma and push the envelope

A 358 Norma would certainly not be a bad choice for an elk stopper, kind of the anti-270. Not sure how much that rifle would weigh but as much as I love the look of wood stocks on rifles a lighter gun with a synthetic stock just makes more sense when you drag it up hills all day at 8-10,000 foot elevation through nasty brush and weather.

Handled the Future Son-in-law’s new synthetic stocked Vanguard in 300 Weatherby for the first time today and it really feels nice, the gray stock is better looking to me these days than when my cousin got his 7 years ago. Much lighter than my wood stocked Ruger 7mm Ive dragged around for 40 years. It really is a bargain for under $500 shipped to my FFL dealer it points and holds better for me than the lighter guns and manages the recoil well with a good scope it is a very capable elk rifle.

You could do worse than a 300 weatherby that doesn’t break the bank, shoots well guaranteed and doesn’t make you cringe when it gets a little character scratch & dent in the woods.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m still packing them out on my back and taking the heaviest load at 60, it is much harder than in my 40’s but also more satisfying.

Really looking forward to having the grandson along this year. This will be his 3rd trip and at 15 he is ready to go physically, at 6’3” about 250 and wearing size 15 boots. We start training this month with packs & rifles hiking up hills in the dark. If things go as planned I won’t be carrying the heaviest load any more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sortest "packout" I've ever has was 3 feet - straight up onto the tailgate of my truck. That was on one of Colorado's RFW (Ranching For Wildlife) ranches. While we had nee anticipating a 400 yards shot or more, the elk came right up a hill to us. I turned down a 25-foot shot for one at 25-yards or so.

Have been able to drive up to within a few feet of a bull on public land. Nice when you can.

Longest and hardest by far was 3 elk (two cows and a bull), three miles to the truck with my hunting buddy. Won't ever do that again.

Other pack-outs have been in-between the extremes.

One reason I like to hunt the migrations is the pack outs tend to be easier. I've taken three elk off a 160 acre piece of public land and next to a paved road. Pack outs have been somewhat under 300 yards to 1000 yards and I've been able to use my game cart every time.

I have enough horns sitting in a wheelbarrow in the barn. The goal is meat in the freezer, horns or no. My grandkids are growing up on antelope, deer and elk. To that end I'll take the shortest pack outs possible.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Anybody that follows BSA’s lead is an idiot as well.

I have killed 1 elk on private ground, a “unit wide” ranch that was ~900 acres and it is actually the smallest bull I’ve killed in a long time. (Not that any of them are big) Anybody that thinks they are getting access to “easy” ranches around here without writing a pretty good check is delusional.

I agree, packing them out is half the fun.

Let’s start a new argument, meat in the bag or load shelf? Load shelf for me.

I haven't seen anyone (in this thread at least) try to pass off a ranch hunt as a DIY public land hunt. For some reason BSA thinks if you don't wear gaiters then you're on a ranch hunt, but that's all that's been brought up and beside the point.

As for your last sentence, maybe it just shows you have the wrong attitude.
My body hates me the day after I get one out on my back, but my mind loves it.
Getting the darn things out is one of my favorite parts. It keeps me in shape, and gives me incentive to stay in shape...It's way the hell better than going to the gym.

YMMV but that's how I see it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never tried putting meat in my pack before (take from that what you will...) as I've only used the load shelf.

One day I'll try putting it in the bag and see WTF I've been missing, good or bad.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For elk loadshelf, bucks I bone out and stuff in the bag...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]drashti dhami

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
No experience with a load shelf. Do they minimize side to side weight shift?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a bag stuffer but occasionally when I'm feeling froggy I'll open the shelf up on the Reckoning so I can bag and shelf...

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some pack-outs...

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SLDUCK
Do yourself a favor
And take my advice
Use what you have already
And if you want a new gun get a Tikka 30-06 or a 270 there is great factory ammo for both calibers. You really don't need a
338 for elk.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve been a 2 pack guy most of the time using an Eberlestock X2 as daypack to hunt and carry out a first quarter in the bag in a trash bag & game bag or the strap set-up outside the bag if we left bone in or an odd shape, Then switch to Cabela’s Alaskan frame with shelf for subsequent trips.

Now I use a Wilderness Specialties pack that feels & carries the weight between the frame & bag strapped with maybe 14” wide carry material no shelf. If I’m done carrying a gun I’ll go with a tiny pack strapped to just the frame still using the strap. Later in the week or deer hunting only back to the daypack.

My favorite pack out is still when we have more than one elk down, hunting partner or partners & me the first trip, rental horse or horses the next trip and done.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Go for it! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

While I think the .358 Norma is an excellent elk getter, you might consult a competent gunsmith familiar with the 1917s before such a rebore and opening up the bolt face for a magnum cartridge. I am certainly not an expert on those old rifles but have read that some have metallurgical issues when subjected to higher pressures. You can also get .35 Whelen loads real close to .358 Norma velocities. Happy Trails

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

SLDDUCK, If your considering a .35 caliber, take a look at the .358 STA. It’s a pretty darn good .35 caliber cartridge, and brass is readily available ( 8mm Rem Mag, or .375 H&H). memtb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You probably could have thrown a rock into a gun store and hit a more practical elk rifle than a 1917 Enfield in 358 Norma Magnum.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Royce
You probably could have thrown a rock into a gun store and hit a more practical elk rifle than a 1917 Enfield in 358 Norma Magnum.

Yup...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Royce

No kidding....

I seriously think these conversations come down to those who actually hunt and kill elk with certain cartridges and those who read about killing elk in a magazine, who have done it a time or two in their lives. Or so it seems.

Edited to add: or those who guide full time and have can't-shoot clients ass shooting elk and a big cartridge lets them chase down 10% less wounded elk per season. PS - been there on can't-shoot clients....

- Greg

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Your good to go . Shoot what you have and shoot some more. Go forth and slay an Elk. Remember KISS!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
By my count you have 4 passable elk rifles there, the best elk hunter I know used a Winchester 100 in .308 quite successfully for 3 or 4 decades. If you want a new rifle, something like a Tikka T3x SS in .30-06 (or .270, or 7mm RM) with a decent scope would make a good rough weather addition.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If your 1917 is made by Eddystone, it won't take the extra pressure of any magnum. In fact, they can be so brittle that one can ruin a barrel taking it out or rebarreling. You "might" find a reboring gunsmith who will rebore it to 35 Whelen. Worth a call.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

A lot of this is retread, but I realize that there is another generation of hunters here and/or guys that are new to the ‘Fire.

I remember Bob Milek writing in maybe the ‘80’s about the 338 Mag for elk.

This was a great article about how a non resident should approach what rifle to use. Something like if you only have one shot, at 350 yds and the elk is quartering away. The 250 grains will get the job done!

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BS2

This was a great article about how a non resident should approach what rifle to use. Something like if you only have one shot, at 350 yds and the elk is quartering away. The 250 grains will get the job done!

Yep, I was one of those, eventually talking 9 or ten bulls to 500 yds with the 340 Wby. But I was also a gun loony and about shot out two barrels learning to use it, though ending up with the 210-gr TSX.

Though, generally, I don’t think it’s a good idea. I’ve seen first-time elk hunters from the East who couldn't keep a 7 mm RM on a paper plate at a 100 yds.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Yes, there are those types of elk hunters you mention. Being from Iowa I didn’t get into elk until my thirties and then went about every third year or so until just recently.

So I’ve gone on maybe 25-28 hunts and have taken about thirteen, most all bulls, and a cow. This included in three states multiple times. While I’m no expert, I have some experience.

I’ve hunted with the 284 Win, 7mm RM, 30/06, 300 WM, 300 Wby, the 338, the 340 Wby, and the 45 Colt. I spent a lot of times working through these cartridges and ended up taking the majority of my bulls with the 340. I’ve seen an almost equal number taken by other hunters and buddies, and other guns.

So I know something of what an elk takes, an especially a bit about the magnums as I spent more time with them. It’s one reason I don’t recommend a 338 to a new elk hunter not knowing a lot about him — the 300’s (all), the 338, 340 are for serious shooters who are committed to learn them; even that doesn’t guarantee they will shoot them well. They can be very unpleasant and a disappointment.

My last bull was taken with the 284 Win because it’s proven to me I could kill the appropriate opportunity to 400 yards.

George, what bullet were you shooting?, details?

Back to Bob Milek, do you remember when X bullets came out? I believe it was Bob who took a 30/06 to Australia to shoot wild donkeys. Don't remember the number shot, but no bullets recovered. My point is with new bullet technology smaller caliber can do a lot more killing of bigger game. I really like the 7mm/06.....not the 280.

Last edited by BS2; 04/20/20.

Get close and wack em hard!
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was just kidding on the 358 Norma on a 1917 action. It might be a little heavy.:) You know what I am just taking my 35 Whelen Get laughed cause its a pump and not a bolt. Load it with 225 TB and be fine. Thanks for the input

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Judman
Ya I’ve packed enough of em out in pieces, I deserve a easy one now and again!! 😆

Hell, I like hard hunting, but it never bothers me if the damn critter falls down someplace where it’s a short pack to somewhere I can get the truck, a four wheeler, or a tractor to. Love catching deer in a harvested field. Nothing like driving out there and tossing the carcass into the truck.

I hunt strictly for food. I enjoy every minute of it, but at the end of the day, it’s about meat in the freezer. Thus, I am opportunistic. Never used an outfitter in my life, but I am quick to drop meat in a field and use a motorized conveyance to haul it to the house if that works. That doesn’t mean I don’t crawl though thickets and shoot deer at the bottom of a ravine I have to drag them up out of, but I will take easy in a heartbeat. Anyone who won’t, ain’t meat hunting. That is fine, too. I do what I do, others do what they do. Works pretty well, usually...

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 04/20/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BS2

George, what bullet were you shooting?, details?

Back to Bob Milek, do you remember when X bullets came out? I believe it was Bob who took a 30/06 to Australia to shoot wild donkeys. Don't remember the number shot, but no bullets recovered. My point is with new bullet technology smaller caliber can do a lot more killing of bigger game. I really like the 7mm/06.....not the 280.

I think that was Ross Seyfried and the Winchester Failsafe bullet. Yes, I remember the X’s, went to TSX’s and then TTSX’s with which I’ve taken some, I don’t know, some thirty head of game now since and only caught two. Very accurate generally also as is its reputation.

I think Ross S said, it — the Failsafe (and we can include the TSX and the TTSX) — Significantly raised the level of effectiveness each cartridge group. Or something like that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BS2

I remember that article as well. Though, it seems that the majority of hopes writings pertained to handgun hunting/shooting. Bob was a good writer, and a pretty respectable outfitter. He also gave me some pretty good tips on a good bullet for my .375 H&H. memtb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That was Ross Seyried in Australia, used the 30-06 and 165gr X bullet. He said the guide asked him if he was shooting those donkeys in the head, as they fell just like they were head shot. Ross said he used shoulder shots. I was in Bible college at the time, reading this, and I had only one rifle then...a sporterized 1917 Eddystone cut down to 24". ( reason I know how heavy they are. I also asked about the then popular 30/338WM conversion and was told heck no!) Anyhow, those first Barnes X were very "tacky", fouled like crazy. Don't worry about anyone laughing at you using a pump, that just means they never saw one shoot! The lighter weight will help you too. I have found elk in the "proverbial" honey-holes...."90% of all elk live in 90% of the thickest timber in 90% of the roughest country", ha. Have fun pard!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/21/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since everyone is waxing lyrical about RS, here's one of his newest articles on the subject of elk rifles...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ross-seyfried-busting-the-magnum-myth/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hilarious! Cripes what a funny group of authoritarian piss-ants. Brad was outed over a decade ago as a poseur- hunting on a private ranch and passing it off as something it wasn’t. Hence, one of the reasons Stick pinned the “he works at Dairy Queen wearing a DQ hat” on him way back then. Five foot nothing and all mouth…

My point was that more than a decade ago, this site slipped from having any value and meaning to a bunch of do-nothing idiots, flappin’ their gums, and pissin’ at each other about who’s the bigger more knowledgable bad butt. They’ve now progressed to who not only has BTDT, but now, who has actually done it all! All while giving worthless opinions that somehow, through miraculous spiritual powers, calibers like the 7-08 are the equivalent of the much larger and scary “magnum” calibers like a 338Winny! With a couple of shots across a pasture at calm elk and one great divine proclamation they revealed to the masses “it’s all about the bullet”! “Yeah verily”, they pronounced!

And to throw in their extra measure of worthless attitude, additional smirks and insults are added for good effect like, “the magnum crowd has little or no experience killing anything” or “there are those who actually hunt and kill elk with certain cartridges and those who read about killing elk in a magazine”. Talk about unfounded arrogance. When you give this “hard earned” advice, you all should be truthful and give new shooters an idea of where your vast wealth of experience comes from, I suggest you add a caveat to all your statements like;

- ….but I shoot across Montana pastures at elk feeding at the haystack….YMMV.
- ….”my outfitter” guarantees an elk kill and I prefer his Outers window mounted rest.
- ….our lease in Texas in managed for trophy buck production and the blinds are air conditioned.

Physics can’t be denied but please keep believing in your world that physics is somehow different. And your experience is actually elk hunting.

“It’s not what works when everything goes well that matter’s but rather, what works when things go wrong”, is still a profound statement in the real world. I’ve had a few rodeo’s and walked into so many more where someone made a poor decision using something marginal for killing an elk. The reality is, so few here actually know very little about anything complex as ballistic wound channels, or at least enough to make an informed opinion that clearly shows the 7-08 is the equivalent killer as any magnum. But they proudly give their astounding advice, post their pictures, find articles that support their silly views and then deem everyone else is below them.

Don’t try to piss up my back and then tell me that it’s raining based upon your worthless experience. But hey, it is the internet.

Soon, some of ya will be able to slip out of your Spider Man onesies and get back to mowing lawns…..or back to making ice creams cones.

Regards

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since everyone is waxing lyrical about RS, here's one of his newest articles on the subject of elk rifles...

I didn’t know we were “waxing lyrical”. Can’t disagree with anything there Brad, but just note that RS has taken the “cartridge-journey” also. Until we have our own experiences, we defer to that of others’. Eventually, we all become a product of our very own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hilarious! Cripes what a funny group of authoritarian piss-ants. Brad was outed over a decade ago as a poseur- hunting on a private ranch and passing it off as something it wasn’t.

I don't know who you are or what you think you know, but all my bulls have come solo off public land, and I've never been "outed."

But you've got some mouth on you...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I didn’t know we were “waxing lyrical”. Can’t disagree with anything there Brad, but just note that RS has taken the “cartridge-journey” also. Until we have our own experiences, we defer to that of others’. Eventually, we all become a product of our very own.

George, meant to say "waxing nostalgic"...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always love these threads--partly because they almost never mention how quickly elk die when shot in the right place with a broadhead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

George, meant to say "waxing nostalgic"...

Actually, I think you meant “you old guys”. 🙂

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always love these threads--partly because they almost never mention how quickly elk die when shot in the right place with a broadhead.

Does that have to do with a 7-08 bullet in the same spot?

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reality is, so few here actually know very little about anything complex as ballistic wound channels, or at least enough to make an informed opinion that clearly shows the 7-08 is the equivalent killer as any magnum. But they proudly give their astounding advice, post their pictures, find articles that support their silly views and then deem everyone else is below them.

Don’t try to piss up my back and then tell me that it’s raining based upon your worthless experience. But hey, it is the internet.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hilarious! Cripes what a funny group of authoritarian piss-ants. Brad was outed over a decade ago as a poseur- hunting on a private ranch and passing it off as something it wasn’t. Hence, one of the reasons Stick pinned the “he works at Dairy Queen wearing a DQ hat” on him way back then. Five foot nothing and all mouth…

My point was that more than a decade ago, this site slipped from having any value and meaning to a bunch of do-nothing idiots, flappin’ their gums, and pissin’ at each other about who’s the bigger more knowledgable bad butt. They’ve now progressed to who not only has BTDT, but now, who has actually done it all! All while giving worthless opinions that somehow, through miraculous spiritual powers, calibers like the 7-08 are the equivalent of the much larger and scary “magnum” calibers like a 338Winny! With a couple of shots across a pasture at calm elk and one great divine proclamation they revealed to the masses “it’s all about the bullet”! “Yeah verily”, they pronounced!

And to throw in their extra measure of worthless attitude, additional smirks and insults are added for good effect like, “the magnum crowd has little or no experience killing anything” or “there are those who actually hunt and kill elk with certain cartridges and those who read about killing elk in a magazine”. Talk about unfounded arrogance. When you give this “hard earned” advice, you all should be truthful and give new shooters an idea of where your vast wealth of experience comes from, I suggest you add a caveat to all your statements like;

- ….”my outfitter” guarantees an elk kill and I prefer his Outers window mounted rest.
- ….our lease in Texas in managed for trophy buck production and the blinds are air conditioned.

Physics can’t be denied but please keep believing in your world that physics is somehow different. And your experience is actually elk hunting.

“It’s not what works when everything goes well that matter’s but rather, what works when things go wrong”, is still a profound statement in the real world. I’ve had a few rodeo’s and walked into so many more where someone made a poor decision using something marginal for killing an elk. The reality is, so few here actually know very little about anything complex as ballistic wound channels, or at least enough to make an informed opinion that clearly shows the 7-08 is the equivalent killer as any magnum. But they proudly give their astounding advice, post their pictures, find articles that support their silly views and then deem everyone else is below them.

Soon, some of ya will be able to slip out of your Spider Man onesies and get back to mowing lawns…..or back to making ice creams cones.

Regards

It’s ok; everything’s going to be alright again soon.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I think I can clarify all of this misunderstanding for this fellow. What the man clearly needs is a Remington 66 Nylon chambered in 416 Chetac with a Aimpoint red dot and at LEAST two levels, one for uphill shooting, the other for downhill shots. The only other option would be a Pre 64 model 70 chambered for 22LR. The smaller diameter 22 bullet has less frontal area and will penetrate just as well as the 416. FINALLY, some clarity and prudent advice here. LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You don't wish to use the 7600??? 35 Whelen is great medicine for lots of critters here and plains game in Africa. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Treat yourself to a new rifle. In your situation a 7mm RM or .300WM would be my first choices, followed by - in no particular order - .270 Win, .30-06 or .338WM. I list the .30-06 only because your semi-auto is probably heavier,

I have a lightweight .30-06 that kicks more than my 7mm RM but I'd use either out to 600 yards. The 155g/3085fps Federal Terminal Ascent loads I've worked up for the 7mm RM deliver 2000fps and 1500fpe past 875 yards at 7000 feet altitude. At my personal limit of 600 yards, it delivers 2378fps and 1946fps. As things stand now, that will be my primary elk load for this fall. My stainless .280 Rem, using the same bullet at 2901fps, delivers 2220fps/1698fpe at 600 yards and is slated as my foul weather/backup rifle. Picked up a Remington M700 in 7mm RM at Walmart a few months back for a SIL - $375 and tax.. He will be using it as his primary elk rifle this fall, probably with Barnes TTSX or LRX handloads..

Although I've killed more elk with my 7mm RM than all my others combined, my .300WM and .338WM have worked equally well. (Can't honestly say "better".) Various ,30-06 rifles have worked just fine, too. Unless you roll your own ammo, I'd stay away form a 325 WSM due to very limited options and high prices for factory ammo. (Midwayusa,com lists 5 options starting at $57 a box. I'd get a .30-06 first.)

Daughter #1 is the only one that hunts elk. This year she will be carrying a Remington M700 chambered for .270 Winchester and loaded with a Nosler 150g ABLR to 2910fps. More than adequate for 600 yard shots.

When looking at rifles, compare the weight. Although my stainless/synthetic .30-06 kicks more than my blue/walnut 7mm RM, its lighter weight makes it an easy carry in the mountains. Same with my stainless/synthetic .280 Rem. The weight adds up over the course of a day's hiking.

Good luck on your hunt!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I watched some Fresh Tracks on Amazon TV this week and never fail to be impressed by Randy’s ability to find & get shots at public land elk in some well pressured areas. Twice in the episodes I watched he passes at distances he can shoot because of difficult angles for his 308 to penetrate vitals or hit the target with 100% certainty. It resulted in tag soup on one of the hunts.

While I will never be the complete hunter that Randy is it reinforced my choices to be a more efficient killer of elk in those situations. I carry a 300 Weatherby these days loaded with 180 grain Barnes TTSX Running just under 3200Fps that allows me to take almost any angle & reach the vitals. We practice from field rests to 800 yards & the Z800 reticle matches my trajectory all the way out. Randy hunts in several states & missing one opportunity doesn’t leave his freezer empty. I get one public land hunt per year & I want it to produce steaks & burger even if I only get one challenging opportunity. So for all the 6mm, 270 &308 shooters who are content to wait for that perfect broadside - I salute you. I’m not prepared to let my choice of rifle chambering limit me. If I see an elk within range I want to kill it every time there is a clear route to the vitals. Closer in a neck shot is just fine as well. The extra power doesn’t always make a difference but it’s nice to have when it is needed.

The 35 whelen is a great choice with a big bullet and for a competent shooter good conditions elk are in big trouble at 400 yards. While everyone would rather have easily makeable shots I’d Still feel a little limited hunting cross canyon in open country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You do have an elk gun in the 35 Whelen. A good viable 300 yard gun that will slay any elk that ever walked the earth. Now if you're itching for a new gun than a 300 Win or clone of same or a 338 win will serve you well.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The .35 Whelen still has plenty of gas out to 400 yards if you can shoot.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Regards

Buck up, li'l soldier, they make a pill for this now. And several brands of whisky.

You seem like a $5/liter vodka guy though.

And yes, that's rain. You couldn't afford the other.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Or run off and die in the next zip code when hit poorly.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Colonel Townsend Whelen had Mr. Howe make him the 35 Whelen for just such a hunt. Enough said.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Any of the rifles listed will work fine.

Choose a good bullet and practice shooting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Laughing at you......

BigStick, is that you?

Last edited by Skatchewan; 07/18/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM

Or run off and die in the next zip code when hit poorly.....

My hunting buddy of 20+ years ave up archery hunting after "arrowing" three deer in WI. Did not recover any.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having hiked 121 miles in 3 weeks in CO this summer, much of it uphill, my priority would be weight. I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 7mmRM, that would be my choice. I also have a Win 70 with a 24" Shilen barrel in 7mmRM but it's much heavier, the CA would get the nod for me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,533
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.