-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sold my old CrewCab and have looked around a bit at something to replace it.

Here's what I'd use it for....
I've taken about three backpack hunts of about three nights. When I did those I just filled a dry sack with camping stuff and unpacked it when we camped. That worked fine for me and I'm not opposed to doing it again. Haven't done any of those trips lately but it looks like I'll have the chance in the next few years. I mostly used it as an all-day pack that would let me haul out a deer if I got one.

I can get a really good deal on another MR and for as little as I use it (a couple of trips a year) I can't justify the extra $250 on something else, unless y'all could really justify it.

So I'm looking at the Mule / Guide Light, Cabinet (which looks just like the CC), and the Pintler. The Pintler seems better thought out than the Mule as far as accessing "stuff" but I wonder if it'd be too bulky when it's mostly empty as a day pack.

My only real complaint with the CC was how short it was (looks like the Guide Light frame addressed that) and the weird side pockets never seemed quite big enough to hold stuff. They were just kind've awkward.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Probably not what you want to hear. But I would buy the Kifaru Stryker and call it a day.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I read your posts about it and was worried you’d say that.

Would you say it’s worth twice as much?

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 04/10/20.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My vote would be for a stone glacier 5900, I sure have been happy with mine. Keep and eye out in the Rokslide classifieds and you'll likely find a deal on a good used pack. Or if you want another MR sign up for camofire, in fact they have some pretty good specials today.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my MR Pintler! Compresses down very nice for day hunts. I think Kifaru, SG, and Exo all make great packs. However, MR is the best bang for your buck IMHO.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I read your posts about it and was worried you’d say that.

Would you say it’s worth twice as much?

Having owned and run a couple MR's and a bunch of Dana Designs. In my opinion yes it is worth it to go Kifaru Stryker.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by averagewhiteman
I love my MR Pintler! Compresses down very nice for day hunts. I think Kifaru, SG, and Exo all make great packs. However, MR is the best bang for your buck IMHO.

Same, i am loving my pintler. Can overnight with it, when the weather is good. I finally have a pack that will comfortably carry a decent load.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Blue

I used and still have a crew cab. Used to it's idiosyncrasies. weight etc. Tried out a Pintler and have had it for two years. Love it.
Most comfortable pack I have ever used\. That said I don't carry the monster loads I used t o.

Lefty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sold my Crewcab and went with a Paradox. 5 lbs of pack weight goes a long way.

As an aside, I live in the same valley as MR, and get bro deals on their packs.

Never looked back once.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I can recommend the MR Pop Up 28 without any reservations. If you want to jump up a bit in size, as I'm about to do, take a good look at the Sawtooth 45. Looks like great access with the 270* zipper and internal layout. BTW, the PU 28 is right at the max size for a carry on to meet airline restrictions for the overhead bins. So far, I've flown with a whole boned frozen antelope and, another time, a whole boned frozen muley in mine, in the overhead. You might get away with the Sawtooth doing the same but, if they start enforcing the size limits, you could get stung.

There are great sales right now on the excellent Pintler with the older frame if you can find the size you need.

Good luck.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 04/22/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

... I've flown with a whole boned frozen antelope and, another time, a whole boned frozen muley in mine, in the overhead.

That's hilarious.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah, the guy next to me on my flight home last fall asked what I was doing in Wyoming, I told him I was antelope hunting and that I had tagged out. He asked where it was and I told him it was resting comfortably 2 feet above his head. He almost spit out his cocktail.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On the way home from working in AK for the summer, I always snuck a couple well frozen salmon in the center of my checked bag. Wrapped in newspaper, then in a jacket, then surrounded by the rest of my clothes. Always stayed frozen, until that time they lost my luggage.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stone Glacier for me. They just make a simple, very well constructed pack that can carry a ton of weight without extras.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I guess I could add something relevant to the thread and agree with Thomas. My stone glacier has been my main pack for a few years now. Picked up a Sky 7400 to use this year!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
MR Sawtooth 45. I have the Mule and it’s been a great day pack, but it’s been just a little too small imho.

I bought my son a Sawtooth 45 and I desperately want one for myself now.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Eberlestock has a 10% off on your next purchase sale going on now.

Phil

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Pintler for sale in the classified right now. 2018 model. I like it, want to try either a sawtooth or selway. Packed camp and a whole boned deer out 6 miles last Oct. Great large day or overnight pack.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,343
Posts18,487,754
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.