Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
For better or worse, church isn't about entertaining the flock. It's about offering sacrifice to God.
Well I’ve been to churches that put me to sleep because they were so boring and so legalistic and so formal and so lifeless. They oughta make convicts sit through em’ as part of their punishment. I like an appealing setting, engaging communication, and helpful content. And I like really good live music and fog machines and colored lights; and I like warehouse type settings with folding chairs and conversational type sermons, where I can bring coffee or ice tea into the worship area during the service. Don’t care for natural light or stained glass or choirs or pews or robes being worn by the pastor. Informal, non-traditional, and laid-back as described above puts me WAY more in the mood to worship Jesus in a building.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We really need that sarcasm font.

I think there are people who seriously believe what you are describing is worship.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Every day, each year for over two thousand years, and the rest of time, always remember.[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
For better or worse, church isn't about entertaining the flock. It's about offering sacrifice to God.
Well I’ve been to churches that put me to sleep because they were so boring and so legalistic and so formal and so lifeless. They oughta make convicts sit through em’ as part of their punishment. I like an appealing setting, engaging communication, and helpful content. And I like really good live music and fog machines and colored lights; and I like warehouse type settings with folding chairs and conversational type sermons, where I can bring coffee or ice tea into the worship area during the service. Don’t care for natural light or stained glass or choirs or pews or robes being worn by the pastor. Informal, non-traditional, and laid-back as described above puts me WAY more in the mood to worship Jesus in a building.

We really need that sarcasm font. I think there are people who seriously believe what you are describing is worship.
Well, the U.S. is steadily becoming less Christian and less religiously observant as the share of adults who are not religious grows. *In order to reach people that no one else is reaching, you’ve got to do things that no one else is doing*. Leading people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus is more easily done in a warm, friendly, casual environment (with high-energy worship music) than it is in a cold, unfriendly, formal environment (with boring worship services).

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just done talking to my son in law, he was out clearing the county roads today.

I'm sure many churches are in a crunch with money. The bills still come in.

As to God's wonderful outdoors, as I understand it, Jesus preached many sermons with no roof.

And the bills still come to all the folks that go to church too, whether they work or not.

I'd think it crass to push for more offerings right now. Its not like we don't know and do the best we can. Those kind of things aggravate me. Would be like my power folks and insurance agencies and so on that send me a monthly bill sending me EXTRA reminders I need to pay up..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I may be way off, I think the churches should stress the basic.

Sin separates man from God.

The wages of sin is death, eternal death.

God loves man, so much he gave His own Son to die on the cross to wash away our sine with His Holy Blood.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
Well it certainly achieves the sacrifice moniker.

I'd rather break glass with my face.
You'd find it more interesting if you actually put a modicum of thought into it and maybe... Gasp!... participated.

As tempting as it is to sing songs, give my money away, and be preached to, I'm afraid I am going to have to pass.

I hope you have fun though.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well it certainly achieves the sacrifice moniker.

I'd rather break glass with my face.
You'd find it more interesting if you actually put a modicum of thought into it and maybe... Gasp!... participated.

As tempting as it is to sing songs, give my money away, and be preached to, I'm afraid I am going to have to pass.

I hope you have fun though.

funny how folks that don't believe still tend to waste time with those that do.

Who let you out of jail? I thought that was BS.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the U.S. is steadily becoming less Christian and less religiously observant as the share of adults who are not religious grows. *In order to reach people that no one else is reaching, you’ve got to do things that no one else is doing*. Leading people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus is more easily done in a warm, friendly, casual environment (with high-energy worship music) than it is in a cold, unfriendly, formal environment (with boring worship services).
I agree with a lot of that that, there is a place for entertainment, but it shouldn't be called a worship service. It's OK to have good music in worship. The problem with it, as practiced in the megachurches featuring popcorn & espresso especially, is that they never get beyond that and they never teach any of the harder teachings. It's all Dr. Feelgood BS. Really, aside from the divinity of Christ, most of it's very little different from what pagans believe(d).

The Catholic Church succumbed to a lot of that with Vatican II. It's been a disaster for devotion and attendance.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

funny how folks that don't believe still tend to waste time with those that do.

Who let you out of jail? I thought that was BS.

How can you not? Every time you turn around one of them is telling you that you're going to hell.

Rick set me free.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with a lot of that that, there is a place for entertainment, but it shouldn't be called a worship service. It's OK to have good music in worship. The problem with it, as practiced in the megachurches featuring popcorn & espresso especially, is that they never get beyond that and they never teach any of the harder teachings. It's all Dr. Feelgood BS. Really, aside from the divinity of Christ, most of it's very little different from what pagans believe(d).
I agree with very little of what you’ve said here, in that, high-energy worship music can most definitely be part of a worship service. And having “popcorn & espresso” in no way negates teaching helpful and relevant content regarding following Jesus. To compare a mission ‘to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus’ to “what pagans believe” and “Dr. Feelgood BS” is WAY off the mark. With attitudes like that, it’s no wonder that Christianity is on the decline in this country.

I certainly got no problem if others choose to worship Jesus in an environment that would put me to sleep. But some others clearly ‘do’ have a problem when some choose to worship Jesus in an irresistible environment as I described earlier.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
It is written: Make a joyful noise unto the LORD. This means you.

Content. In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. ... In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
It is written: Make a joyful noise unto the LORD. This means you.

Easter candy makes Nana gassy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll pray right now. Lord Jesus, I want to pray for this country, Canada, as well, They need Your Help a much as ever.

I pray for the campfire members, and all the doctors, nurses, and all the health people working hard.

I thank you so much for all our Blessings.

In Your Name Lord.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My church is similar to Tikka Nut's. I like it because of the absence of sanctimonious creeps who are on a 1st name basis w/ the big guy.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll pray right now. Lord Jesus, I want to pray for this country, Canada, as well, They need Your Help a much as ever.

I pray for the campfire members, and all the doctors, nurses, and all the health people working hard.

I thank you so much for all our Blessings.

In Your Name Lord.

Help with what?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Content. In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. ... In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do
What does "vain" mean?

Is any repetition "vain"?

Last edited by Tyrone; 04/13/20.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
As I understand it Ty, to no purpose, for nothing, lose talk? I've never looked it up.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I once had to go to a High Mass conducted by the Pope in St. Peter's. To my folks it was the experience of a lifetime and it was cool to see them so happy. For me it was almost 2 hours of standing up in a very cool place but essentially boring. I have felt pretty close to heaven in the mountains though.

We are not all the same.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (907brass, 10Glocks, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 10 invisible), 1,408 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.