Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Can't go wrong! Mine's 12 and who says an old dog can't teach you new tricks?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Frogsnacks! 1000 bucks??? Guarantee? You need TP?

I would keep shopping.

Why straight Border Collie?

Get a little Aussie in there for health.

& better sheep herding abilities !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I would keep shopping.

The aussie/BC mixes make good stock dogs, but most I have know are pretty high energy for pets. Somehow that mix can make them go from turbocharged to blown alcohol injected. It's like mixing peroxide and baking soda.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I would keep shopping.

The aussie/BC mixes make good stock dogs, but most I have know are pretty high energy for pets. Somehow that mix can make them go from turbocharged to blown alcohol injected. It's like mixing peroxide and baking soda.

We have a 7 month old Mini Aussi....."turbocharged" is right! Not sure I could handle the BC mix.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JeffA
Whos got them?
Lookin' for a pup, no mixed breeds....

[Linked Image from thesmartcanine.com]

Got a lot of experience with BCs....what everyone says is spot on, no need to be heavy handed with them, need a job and/or lots of exercise.

If it can be taught to a dog, a Border Collie can learn it, and learn it quickly.

The ferrari of dogs...not for the casual 'dog person' or pet owner....they are for someone who wants, and can use a true partner.

My last one..kind of an offbeat look to her, but I always wanted to achieve as many titles, honors, and certifications as she did...unbelievable dog..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I would keep shopping.

We have a 7 month old Mini Aussi....."turbocharged" is right! Not sure I could handle the BC mix.

Our mini aussi is eight, she hasn't slowed down much yet. Every day playing ball.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, and 1K is wayyyy too high...lots of good BCs in the 200-800 range, depending on what papers you want with them....

This one belongs to my protege, on a recent fishing trip, and he is as good as they get, from competition stock dog heritage-no papers-$200

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Got one for my daughter when she was three. Kid and dog were inseparable. We had 3 acres with a huge front yard. I used to sit on the porch and watch them play together, the dog would actually herd my daughter back to the house if she strayed too far. Smartest animal I ever saw, years ago, good memories.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Makes me want to run to the other end of a paddock! cool

With eyes like that, I can see why they can herd sheep and cattle -- intense!

John

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check out this Border Collie....3-time Westminster agility champion. Look at the eyes coming through the weave.

2020 Agility

Last edited by akpls; 04/15/20.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B3

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That dog looked intent on winning...

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We've had 2 and a border/sheltie cross.
UNBEATABLE dogs - but need something to do, and space to do it in!
Full Border - Donk - was smarter than many of our customers! Used to herd them, and sometimes hold them in front of our office!
I've had to "release hostages" many times smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, and 1K is wayyyy too high...lots of good BCs in the 200-800 range, depending on what papers you want with them....

This one belongs to my protege, on a recent fishing trip, and he is as good as they get, from competition stock dog heritage-no papers-$200

I'd really appreciate a $200 lead right now.

I'm about ready to commit to the $1k pup I found yesterday, already would of done it but the puppy mill operator is busy til Friday and can't see me.

Problem with this one is that it has a brother, I'll probably not have it in me to break them up and I'll end up taking both...

I'd be happy with a two or three year old dog so long as it's healthy and already knows it aint suppose to schit in the house.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If the guy is running a puppy mill per se, you are barking up the wrong tree with the 1K price tag.

Beware of the 2-3 year old dogs and 'rescues'...they arrive with issues. The importance of early socialization ( from 8-16 weeks) cannot possibly be overstated. Especially in a dog like a Border Collie.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

[/quote]
We have a 7 month old Mini Aussi....."turbocharged" is right! Not sure I could handle the BC mix.[/quote]

Our mini aussi is eight, she hasn't slowed down much yet. Every day playing ball.

[/quote]

We have two of them. One is fifteen, the other twelve. SMART loving dogs and yes, FULL of energy...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If the guy is running a puppy mill per se, you are barking up the wrong tree with the 1K price tag.

Beware of the 2-3 year old dogs and 'rescues'...they arrive with issues. The importance of early socialization ( from 8-16 weeks) cannot possibly be overstated. Especially in a dog like a Border Collie.

I'm just using the term sorta slanderishly to describe anyone that breeds and sells..

I am thinking it could be better to get two so they can keep each other company.
I'm all in for double the trouble.....

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We always have a border collie, a stock dog. They are tireless workers....have a new pup under training here now. We are pretty methodical about this and it makes this high energy dog able to shut down.
I am around quite a few other breeds of stock dogs, many I don't trust around chickens etc. Border collies are so honest when started right.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Two dogs is better than one dogs.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I never knew how sensitive they could be until a few years ago. My Uncle was getting up in years but wanted to get a BC pup so that when he died, my Aunt would have some companionship. So I found him a super pup, from a ranch where the parents were working cattle dogs. Beautiful female pup. However, when she was about 12 weeks old, my Uncle collapsed in the bathroom in the middle of the night and died on the floor. The resulting police, firemen, and paramedic parade scarred that dog for life. She hid behind their bed during the commotion and would not come out. She lived most of the rest of her life behind that couch. If anyone came over to see my Aunt she would disappear behind the bed. She would come out to see me for a few moments, but then she would disappear. Always felt sorry for that dog. Nothing we ever tried would change her behavior. I do agree, though, that they are great dogs.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dog One

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,492
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.