Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am into still hunting and recently picked up a small day pack to carry emergency gear and rain protection, etc. However, I dislike how it blocks me from mounting the rifle into my shoulder pocket. If I place it on top of the strap it obviously changes the feel and increases the length of pull and it also changes my site picture.

Can any of you guys give tips or suggestions on how to take a quick, offhand shot while wearing a backpack?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have to remove your coat to get down to your t-shirt, too?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've learned to just "move" the shoulder strap towards my clavicle with the butt of the stock, then shoulder the rifle....and I only do this when shots are short and needed right NOW.

Otherwise, I take my pack off before shooting. I am more of a spot and stalker; not a still hunter though so take that for what it's worth. Taking your pack off to shoot while still hunting could be trouble so just learning to move that shoulder strap out of the way may be how you need to roll.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same here, I always look at the position of the adjustment buckles and the thickness of the straps....for a days still hunting, I mainly use a fanny pack with thin straps. Have often thought of having a seamstress friend add a horizontal adjustable strap, connected to each shoulder strap to allow then to be drawn closer together towards center chest...

Same issue often occurs with upland vests, and the buckle is usually right where you want to have the butt of the shotgun in your shoulder crease....

Last edited by battue; 04/16/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Add a sternum strap or cinch an existing one a little tighter.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sternum strap is what I was trying to describe....You can tighten the one, but a "little" doesn't solve the problem....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All of my rifles carry a 1/2" shorter LOP for this very reason.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hunt out of a tree stand, so I never carry a pack. But one time, I was on my way out of the woods and I had my climber on my back. I saw a whole bunch of deer scatter about 75 yards up through the woods. The next thing I know, here comes a doe almost straight for me. So I shouldered the old 58 cal. Zouave and let'er rip. It was a little uncomfortable, but I didn't really have time to think about it. The shot was only about 15 yards.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Sternum strap is what I was trying to describe....You can tighten the one, but a "little" doesn't solve the problem....

Adapt.

Practice.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've mostly adapted and got by....and there will be few that practice more....however, if I would get OMA and fix the issue, it would make things easier.....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just experimented adding a piece of foam to the shoulder strap that lifted it a bit from the shoulder area allowing a little better "pocket" for the stock.

Other option would be to modify, replace the straps if possible or try another pack at a sporting goods outlet.

One overlooked aspect of wearing a pack is properly FITTING a pack to the wearer. DuckDuckGo search for videos on the subject.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by elelbean
I am into still hunting and recently picked up a small day pack to carry emergency gear and rain protection, etc. However, I dislike how it blocks me from mounting the rifle into my shoulder pocket. If I place it on top of the strap it obviously changes the feel and increases the length of pull and it also changes my site picture.

Can any of you guys give tips or suggestions on how to take a quick, offhand shot while wearing a backpack?

I'm also a still hunter and I did a ton of shooting while wearing a pack in the Army.

I like a pack with wide, thin straps. The amount of padding on most pack straps is fine for hauling heavy loads but is overkill on a daypack. Lots of military surplus packs have perfect straps for obvious reasons. They're great for still hunting and they're usually cheap. US Army ALICE straps are another example of what works well. A fanny pack like https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...nsporter-fanny-pack/2737680.uts?slotId=9 has exactly the right kind of straps and can carry about as much as a day pack.

LOP is also critical. Most rifles are around 13.5" but shorter is better. A lot of Youth rifles are set up perfectly, plus they're short and light, which is perfect for long days slithering through the brush with your rifle in your hands.

I also like a non-slip recoil pad or butt plate because it won't slide off of my shoulder if I don't get a perfect mount. The M-16A2 butt plate is good in this respect. Decelerators and Limbsavers are also nice and sticky.

Practice makes perfect. You can get VERY fast pretty quickly. Start slow with dry fire and focus on smoothness. Then pick up speed, then go to live fire with a shot timer.

Finally, I find that I lean pretty far forward while shooting offhand at speed, so my scopes are set pretty far forward to keep them from poking me in the eye in recoil.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One other option, especially if you're just wanting some basics in a pack and nothing real heavy, is to use a sling pack.
I bought Sitka's Sling Choke for carrying food, water and the like on all day chukar hunts, as my bird vest just wasn't quite big enough for those things. It only has one shoulder strap, so it doesn't interfere with shouldering my shotgun. I am unsure if they make two models...or just a right handed shooter model.

Just a thought, if it fits your needs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You can always try shortening the LOP if you have a dedicated "backpack" hunting rifle... I hate having to shoot while wearing my pack, but it happens more times than not... You find you just have to deal with it. Practice shooting while it's on. This is where practice in shooting really pays off. If I were lacking in experience there, I'd maybe try shooting varmints and other vermin while walking around with a pack on... I'm lucky I guess, having grown up in Nevada and carrying a rifle in the desert damn near every day of my growing up there... Running jacks will teach you quite a bit about shooting... Practice, that's the only way you are going to get better. And the more natural, shooting at game is going to feel to you, regardless of what other hindrances you are faced with...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john

I'm also a still hunter and I did a ton of shooting while wearing a pack in the Army.

I like a pack with wide, thin straps. The amount of padding on most pack straps is fine for hauling heavy loads but is overkill on a daypack. Lots of military surplus packs have perfect straps for obvious reasons. They're great for still hunting and they're usually cheap. US Army ALICE straps are another example of what works well. A fanny pack like https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...nsporter-fanny-pack/2737680.uts?slotId=9 has exactly the right kind of straps and can carry about as much as a day pack.

LOP is also critical. Most rifles are around 13.5" but shorter is better. A lot of Youth rifles are set up perfectly, plus they're short and light, which is perfect for long days slithering through the brush with your rifle in your hands.

I also like a non-slip recoil pad or butt plate because it won't slide off of my shoulder if I don't get a perfect mount. The M-16A2 butt plate is good in this respect. Decelerators and Limbsavers are also nice and sticky.

Practice makes perfect. You can get VERY fast pretty quickly. Start slow with dry fire and focus on smoothness. Then pick up speed, then go to live fire with a shot timer.

Finally, I find that I lean pretty far forward while shooting offhand at speed, so my scopes are set pretty far forward to keep them from poking me in the eye in recoil.

Okie John

Good post okie John...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just bought a First Tactical Crosshatch Sling Pack. It is designed to go over one shoulder (you get to pick) so mine goes over my left shoulder leaving my right shoulder unobstructed. It holds plenty of gear for a day hunt. Since most of my deer hunting involves day hunts it's perfect. Just a thought.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot lots of game while wearing a pack. If I think about it at all, it's after the shot. It's never been a problem. OTOH, I've taken off the pack and used it for a rest more than once for longer shots when I have time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
I just bought a First Tactical Crosshatch Sling Pack. It is designed to go over one shoulder (you get to pick) so mine goes over my left shoulder leaving my right shoulder unobstructed. It holds plenty of gear for a day hunt. Since most of my deer hunting involves day hunts it's perfect. Just a thought.

Those look pretty good actually. Looks like you could even wear a hip belt with that for even more capacity. Thanks for the sling suggestion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've shot lots of game while wearing a pack. If I think about it at all, it's after the shot. It's never been a problem. OTOH, I've taken off the pack and used it for a rest more than once for longer shots when I have time.

Yes. Just do it. Quick offhand shots are likely the result of close quarry. Contrary to popular opinion, 3 MOA is just fine at 50 yards. Things may not fit perfectly. Big deal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If still hunting always resulted in shooting at 50 yards and under....I wouldn't bother carrying around a scope. It doesn't so I do....Nor does it always mean offhand....Quick means one may not be in the best balanced of positions....which means a solid consistent mount is even more important....

Last edited by battue; 04/16/20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.