Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been routinely searching the used Lund Alaskan market along with the Starcraft/Smokercraft Freedoms. Anyone else make something similar? Anyone have experience with the above boat?

Looking to buy a 18’ tiller with a 4 stroke of either makes. Just would like some insight on either boats or another make I’m missing.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Woodson google up Alumacraft Yukons. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Lunds and Alumacrft are awfully similar, both top shelf. I have a couple of both, not the style your seeking, of the two brands I prefer the welded Alumacrft.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Super afraid I’m gonna buy a Alaskan with a swamped out transom and or floors.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Never had an Alumacraft but they have been around for a long time.

I have enjoyed multiple Lunds and still have a couple. I've had two Alaskan 16's and briefly owned an 18 tiller that I sold to a local friend of a friend who was in the market at the time. They tend to sell very quickly around my parts out West on the used market so I have snapped them up if I was even interested!

The concern about a rotted floor is a real one. One of my 16's had a weak floor and I was forced to replace it. To be honest, I was shocked at the quality of the plywood used (wasn't even sure it was marine grade) and those Lund rivets are a biotch to say the least! I used 3/4" "billboard" style plywood to replace mine and covered it with vinyl pebbled flooring. A couple of my seats bases (?aftermarket) had not been backed with stainless plate steel and that was what led to the problem with mine I believe. They will handle a lot of abuse but keeping one inside in the offseason sure helps with longevity. I will add that replacing any Lund wood can be a challenge... they use a proprietary thickness on their seats that can't be purchased just anywhere and would be prohibitive to ship unless maybe you live close to Minnesota. 1/2" is too thin and flimsy while 3/4" is heavy and requires a router,etc. to fit as originally designed. 5/8" is just not made for the general market in the type that Lund used.

I don't know what kind of water you want to run the boat on but I have evolved to like the 16 a little better for my needs. They are much easier to store in limited space and are easier to maneuver if you like to go out by yourself. If you are bent on an 18, you might want to look for a SV-18, still a heavy duty hull with lots of room but no floor and walk-through bench seats on the later versions. The center of gravity is lower vs the Alaskans when sitting and gives a more secure feeling ride in rough water IMHO. They are also cheaper and no rotted floors to worry about. Still not real common though. They still weigh around 500# and will take a 60hp outboard.

Good luck in your search!

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was in your shoes and went with a Lund SSV18. We use it for rivers, lakes, bays and landing on beaches. I went with a riveted boat, because rivets are easier to replace then a broken weld. We have the side console, but my parents had the same thing in a tiller, it will tow the kids on a tube with a 40hp. We have 3 boats and the lund is my favorite because it is the one that always just works.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back in the 70's and 80's Lund and Alumacraft fishing boats were state of the art hulls. The big difference between the 2 was that a Alumacraft was a 2 piece hull a left and right side what Alumacraft called a stretch form hull riveted on both sides of the keel with a 1 pc reinforced transom. While Lunds had a left and right side and a separate bottom piece both were top quality with 50 -60 year old aluminum boats still working today. YES I have both and like both and would snag an 18' in a heart beat just don't see many. Lund jumped first into putting a flat floor in with split seats and that is a good way to go. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 04/16/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a guy locally with an Alaskan for sale. PM me for details if you want.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned several Lunds and they have all been great but weight is very important for
what I do and the Alaskan was considerably heavier than the SS or SV models.
I use an SSV18 with floor boards.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Lund Fury 1600 with a tiller and a 40 Merc and it is great. Tracks like a dream and does well in rough water. With 2 and gear it will run about 30 on smooth water. 27 at 3/4 throttle and will fish all day on one tank. It has a few more creature comforts than the SSV, but is less expensive than the Rebel or Fury XL series. Bought mine used and it hasn't missed a lick. Overall, I am very happy with it. Good luck finding a boat!

It's more than just the trigger pull.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BKinSD
If woodson don't send me the info via pm MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 04/17/20.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cant go wrong with Alumacraft or Lund.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
If woodson don't send me the info via pm MB

You’re a go. I’m just in the research phase.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

So BK send me the details if you would? MB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 358WCF, 1Longbow, 204guy, 42 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,534
Posts18,531,011
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.