Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm interested in finding a real gunsmith, somewhere in the northern half of Virginia. I'm not talking about a parts changer specializing in AR's but rather someone who can do things like trigger work, bed a stock, etc. and fix guns that aren't working right. A real gunsmith! I've had several in the past 10 years that were open for a couple months, then gone. To me, my gunsmith is as important as my doctor. It's been 10 years since the last one I trusted retired. If there is someone you'd recommend, north of Charlottesville, please let me know. Thanks

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
jack keister
harrisonburg va.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Sent you a PM. Here's a link to Gene270's recommendation: https://www.jackkeistercustominc.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If clay Spencer's still taking on work you couldn't go wrong with him. This day and age, I wouldn't put being local at the top of my list. Simple stuff maybe, but anything else I'd ship it to Shaen or a myriad of other reputable and competent Smith's all over the country. I know alot more that I'd never use again than ones I'd definitely use again.
Shaen is one I'd definitely use again.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jack keister , he's just west of Harrisonburg. Pm me for his number.

Hang on tight !
IC B2

Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks a lot for the insight, guys. Three of you all recommending the same smith means a lot. Sounds like his shop is a little over 2 hours from me, which isn't all that far considering. I'll also look into your recommendation as well, Jackmountain and thank you too. Ideally, being able to have face to face contact is what I'm looking for but your right about local not being all that important. I knew nothing about either of these two smiths before asking the question, so this has worked well. I've already checked out Jack Keister's website. Thanks again, Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know keister,he is as good as anybody.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If clay Spencer's still taking on work you couldn't go wrong with him. This day and age, I wouldn't put being local at the top of my list. Simple stuff maybe, but anything else I'd ship it to Shaen or a myriad of other reputable and competent Smith's all over the country. I know alot more that I'd never use again than ones I'd definitely use again.
Shaen is one I'd definitely use again.

Not sure if Clay is doing much gun work. I heard he was running a charter boat out of NC in season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The major reason for the shorage of gunsmiths is the shortage of clients. The past two generations of shooters don't know fine fine firearms from Matti Mattel creations. I could not afford to get the master craftsmen to do work for me. I bought books, read in the various gun mags and did a lot of work myself. A couple of us bought barreled actions, Mark X, glass bedded and stocked them. Still got mine it's evolved from a 25 - 06 to 375 Whelen. Bought a Carlson (?) plastic stock, did some barrel channel work and bedded the action. I didn't want to beat the claro walnut stock up from Roberts or Fajen. Had to re-stock a Siamese Mauser, the recoil cracked the wrist due to poor bedding on my part. It's
fun to build a rifle to your taste.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Myer’s in Berrytown if he is still in business . Has turned out some good stuff . Haven’t been there in a while .
Kenneth

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are looking to have custom work done, this fellow bears consideration.

https://www.olddominioncustomrifles.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John Myer at Custom Gunsmithing in Boyce va

Jeff Walker at Walker Custom Rifles in Culpepper Va.

Both shoot 1000 yard and build top notch accurate rifle

Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to everyone for their help. I posted my question yesterday evening and in less than 24 hours, I got a half dozen solid recommendations. Far better results than I could have hoped for. I really appreciate the assistance.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Call Sandy Garrett - Northern Virginia Gunworks
Springfield
Top notch, custom builds, repairs.

Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Mikem, but a big hell no on that! Been there, won't be back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.