Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by MadMooner
About $20, I like Wild Turkey.

Ain’t bourbon, but for the same money, I really like Jack Rye.

I tried Jack Rye last fall and really liked it. It's probably what I'm more inclined to lean towards now. I'm going to try others eventually. Knowing nothing about ryes, it was a choice between Jack and Bulliet and I picked the Jack because it looked a little darker in color.

I'll take Turkey or Beam for bourbon. Up here in AK there's no such thing as good "value" whiskey. It's all overpriced until you get into the boutique industrial solvents that the Canadians call whiskey.

Dude.... You got to get on the special Gavora Liquor's List. Three bottles of Blanton's each year. They always pull something good from the back when I show up there. Might not be bargain in L48 terms but I scored some WR Weller Reserve 12 you for 35.00 last time I went through. That is great bourbon anywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by amax155
Evan Williams Bonded is my regular stock. If I feel like splurging and its in stock, Colonel Taylor. Knob Creek 100 was my next in line but the hipsters have found it and the price went up.

Not really a bourbon drinker. When I do whisk(e)y it's most likely a single malt scotch.

But just for grins, and because I'd read this thread earlier today, when I hit the local supermarket to pick up some pork shoulder on sale, I also picked up a bottle of EW bottled in bond.

Definitely NOT disappointed for $13.99 a fifth.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
in no particular order:

Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek
Crown Royal (duty free on the ferry from Anacortes to Sydney BC. (15 minutes north of Victoria)

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim Beam and Squirt on the rocks is my choice.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blanton's Single Barrel
EH Taylor Jr. Small Batch
Eagle Rare 10
WL Weller Special Reserve

All on the shelf here...and pretty cheap...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Blanton's Single Barrel
EH Taylor Jr. Small Batch
Eagle Rare 10
WL Weller Special Reserve

All on the shelf here...and pretty cheap...

The only one of those that you might be able to get for under $30 is Eagle Rare, but not where I live. It's closer to $40 here. All the others are more $ and Blanton's and WL Weller SR are both being allocated and are in short supply. I won't buy allocated or any whiskey going for more that MSRP. That leaves out many of the Buffalo Trace whiskies. I've had all of them and they are not special. There are many more available and less expensive whiskey out there that I actually prefer.

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ended up buying big bottles of Evan Williams and WT101.

Last edited by woodson; 04/17/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have come to like the flavored boubons, straight on the rocks. Honey, vanilla, wild cherry and fire with about 20% horchada. Jim Beam works for me. I buy it in Florida where we visit every year. If I catch it on sale, about $21 for a half. Hard to beat that. If I am feeling flush I like Jack Daniels honey too, but about twice the price of Beam on sale.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodson
WT101 is a great decision. Any Evan Williams is rot-gut shixt dranked up only by inexperienced drunks who put no value on taste or re-taste.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to drink Wild Turkey 101 exclusively then tried Jim Beam Devils Cut, by far my favorite bourbon.

A good bourbon but cheaper than the above is the Jesse James Outlaw bourbon, very good for its price.

Never tried many of the cheap bourbons.

Tried Jack Daniels a few times but for how it tastes compared to its cost it is a very easy pass. I guess you are paying for the name on that one.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WT101 is one I’ll continue to stock. Evan Williams, IMO, is suitable as a mixer for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I used to drink Wild Turkey 101 exclusively then tried Jim Beam Devils Cut, by far my favorite bourbon.

A good bourbon but cheaper than the above is the Jesse James Outlaw bourbon, very good for its price.

Never tried many of the cheap bourbons.

Tried Jack Daniels a few times but for how it tastes compared to its cost it is a very easy pass. I guess you are paying for the name on that one.
That Jesse James shixt is possibly even more rank than Evan Williams and that's a damned challenge. Never again.

If you've never tried many of the "cheap bourbons", you should, because most of the pricier Bourbons are just that...pricier. They taste no better and sometimes are much worse. I've been drinking Bourbon since I was like, thirteen. Maybe I just can't remember before that...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WT101 is one I’ll continue to stock. Evan Williams, IMO, is suitable as a mixer for sure.
Evan Williams might be good to keep around for in-laws or other undesirables you don't want showing back up, but only if you don't have access to that Jesse James varnish-shixt. Flying fook...try some f u cking Old Crow. Palatable.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

don't drink it.......but my buddy says this is the boss

https://abarabove.com/costco-kirkland-bourbon-review/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I bet you'll enjoy both of them. The WT101 is a classic bourbon with many of the standard bourbon flavors (sweet, vanilla, light fruits and a touch of cinnamon spice) without any flaws. The EW Bottled in Bond is a great value. It has a nice nutty character along with the sweetness, vanilla, caramel and light fruits (pear and apple) notes. I've not experienced any off notes with it and I've had a couple bottles of it this year. Heaven Hill is the distiller of Evan Williams and I'm a fan of many of their whiskeys. 1783 and Evan Williams Single Barrel are both good and more approachable for those who don't like higher proof and both are a step up from the Black Label. The white label Bottled In Bond is a step up in proof and flavor. Both are what I would consider as on the lighter side of the bourbon flavor spectrum. I bet you'll like them.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Ever the empiricist, I'm testing the collective wisdom of the 24HCF with these $19.99 (L) and $20.99 (R) offerings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We'll see how they rate 'against my $32.95 mainstay.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looking forward to the results FC. Hoping we can get a Bourbon subforum on here

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buffalo Trace..…..Up in yo face!!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Looking forward to the results FC. Hoping we can get a Bourbon subforum on here

OH, be careful what you wish for - a bourbon subform would make the Optics hangout look like a Bible Study! laugh

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Evan Williams is my garage whiskey

Elijah Craig small batch is my good friend or family sipping whiskey.

Also have numerous others mentioned. Personal taste, I like Bulleit not a fan of Basil Hayden 🤷🏻‍♂️

OT but a pard & his son severely damaged if not killed a bottle of Jack Daniels old 27 gold this past weekend at their cabin. Said it was best stuff he’s ever had🤷🏻‍♂️ But it’s a hundo a bottle

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 30 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.