Home
Posted By: woodson Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Been on a bourbon holiday since the lockdown. Looking to buy a few bottles tomorrow now that I’m off for a couple days. I know such things are ultimately subjective but what do you guys like in the $30 or less price point?

Ran through ryes recently. Enjoyed the spice but want to move on. I made a scene at Costco with Basil Hayden’s @ $29.99 a pop.

What say the fire, when it comes to a “value” bourbon?
Posted By: Teal Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Col Taylor
Posted By: Skunkman Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Hands down...no better bourbon for the price, Evan Williams. Around here 15.99 a liter,and an excellent Bourbon.
rebel yell
Originally Posted by Skunkman
Hands down...no better bourbon for the price, Evan Williams. Around here 15.99 a liter,and an excellent Bourbon.

Beat me to it, Evan Williams is a good one at Any price.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
4 Roses
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Beat me to it, Evan Williams is a good one at Any price.

I have a friend, in his nineties now, who, ten years ago, would go through a big bottle of Evan Williams on a week long wilderness hunt. (Yes, in his eighties at the time.) He bought it by the case. This guy could afford anything he wanted...serious money. We'd spend several days at his wilderness hunting lodge and he'd take along his "gentleman's gentleman", the guy who did his cooking, managed the household, etc, and rag on him for spending his money on Maker's Mark.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Evan Williams is my house bourbon.

Cabin Still when I can find it.
Posted By: wdenike Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Ezra Brooks... American as apple pie, bar none.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: hanco Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Ezra Brooks
Depends where and when...
I am amazed by the variety in prices based on location and the crazy sales cycle.
For instance I have found better deals on Rebel Yell in northern states...

Sometimes decent scotch is cheaper than bourbon, particularly in the South..

Sometimes you gotta be a little flexible to get a good deal.

I actually returned a bottle of some whiskey that I didn't realize was honey flavored once.

It was terrible, but the took it back....
Elijah Craig and Woodford
Originally Posted by woodson
Ran through ryes recently. Enjoyed the spice but want to move on. I made a scene at Costco with Basil Hayden’s @ $29.99 a pop.

I really like Old Grand-Dand Bonded (make sure it's the bottled-in-bond), but you might find it spicy as I think it has high rye content. I thought it had the same mash bill as Basil, but could be totally wrong.

Other than that, I also agree with the recommendations on Ezra Brooks for low bucks.
Rabbit Hole bourbon is excellent. A true bargain.
A lot of whiskey experts rate 101 Wild Turkey very high.
Around $21 from our price gouging State Store system.

I like it.
Old Forester 100 proof, Wild Turkey 101, Knob Creek, Even Williams Bottled In Bond (White Label). A fellow on YouTube (Blind Whiskey Reviews) recently did a blind comparison of inexpensive, available bourbons, and Old Forester 100 proof came out on top and I agree. I have to admit to having more Wild Turkey products on hand at the moment.

ps Old Grand Dad 100 proof and 114 proof are both real good and inexpensive.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
woodford double oaked is a top pick for me

bakers 7, knob creek, old grandad, eagle rare( if you can find it) 4 roses, Buffalo trace. John J Bowman is good as well
Tons of good bourbon on the market for a decent price. Tons that suck too. I don’t like bulleit at all.

Basil is good, but kinda high for a bourbon that has lost its age statement. Same could be said for knob creek

Just depends on your price as to what is a value. I think Blantons when bought at 60-65$ is a hell of a value, but others don’t. Found 5 bottles already this year

Mixing, straight, on rocks? How you drink it?

Evan Williams is for mixing at my house, and for that I really like it.
Ezra Brooks

Old Crow is the original sour mash, favored by world leaders in its day. Worse out there.
Old Forrester is bust head puke juice
Wild Turkey 100 hangover free drunk
Evan Williams
Evan Williams bond
old forester 86
old forester 100
Elijah Craig
Russell's Reserve
Posted By: 16penny Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Jim beam is the best if you’re drinking it straight out the bottle
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Makers mark at less than 30 is a good buy
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Another vote for Evan Black and Turkey 101
Originally Posted by 16penny

No clue, but that's normally where you can find me on a Tuesday night.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Let's see, yesterday was Monday, tomorrow is Wednesday...wonder what jack mountain is up to tonight?
Posted By: krp Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Evan Williams for a light workday drink, 101 WT when serious.

I have Knob and Makers on the shelf, crown when it's 14 bucks on sale.

Kent
Posted By: Quak Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
You guys are all semi retarded. Old grandad bonded...the 100 prof. The 80 is no good and the 120 barrel proof is no good. The bonded 100 proof? Best bourbon money can buy and it’s like 22 a 5th

Seriously...I’d take it over anything

Naturally I can’t get it up here and have to buy it by the case at my brothers place in the show me state...such is life

Anyone here buys it and doesn’t like it...I’ll pay shipping north!
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Let's see, yesterday was Monday, tomorrow is Wednesday...wonder what jack mountain is up to tonight?

You can find me there on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday too!
Elijah Craig and Eagle Rare are what I have been drinking lately.

The Eagle Rare is hard to get so save it for special occasions, but the EJ is readily available.
Posted By: Judman Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Evan Williams
Used to be Weller, but good luck finding it now, so for value I buy
Old Granddad Bonded
Turkey 101
Larceny
Knob Creek and Eagle Rare on sale can had for under $30.
Buffalo Trace
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Evan Williams
Evan Williams bond
old forester 86
old forester 100
Elijah Craig
Russell's Reserve

Young Bobby. Is the Old Forester prohibition at 115 too hot? I kinda like it. I believe it came in a smartly priced combo with the bottled in bond from Costco. Somehow the later has evaporated or something .

Also was the Weller a bourbon or a whiskey?

Asking for a friend. grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Buffalo Trace

a HUGE +1

Unless you're in Texas, then its Rebecca Creek
Posted By: 79S Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Early times aged 36 months can be had for $12.99 a fifth
Posted By: ribka Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
4 Roses

x2 yep for 4roses or buffalo trace
Posted By: Dre Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
I’m on whiskey and coke mix.
Pendleton or Gibson’s
Jack Daniels Black, Jim Beam Honey Whisky, Woodford Reserve.
Eagle Rare if you can find it!
Posted By: EdM Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
I am fine with Jim Beam and will sometimes buy their Black. That said, I am pouring Old Fashioneds.
Originally Posted by 16penny

And want to wind up with your head in the bonfire...
IME...
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Buffalo Trace

a HUGE +1

Hey Poobs the next time you're in Tx. You gotta try this. IMHO mucho better than the Becky. The wife and I were day drinking after the Alamo on Independence Day before the hog hunt and were in an old Tx. hotel [chime in if you know it] doing the usual with a Titos Bloody Mary and did the lone star and a local IPA.

Got serious and asked for more local libations and this is what the bartender offered.

[Linked Image from oi723.photobucket.com]

Can't say it's the best but I like it better than Becky.
About $20, I like Wild Turkey.

Ain’t bourbon, but for the same money, I really like Jack Rye.
Bulleit for the money, but Buffalo Trace is right there too...though 90% of the time I'm on whisky, I'm drinkin' Rye.
Posted By: Mull Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Wild Turkey 101,Or Jim Beam Black..
Good stuff = Blanton's

OK stuff = Makers Mark

Every day economical stuff = Evan Williams, Old Grand Dad, Early Times, Jim Beam

Pure schitt = Buffalo Trace, I refuse to accept it

Lots of stuff in each category.

MM
Posted By: drover Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Bourbon - Evan Wiliams Black, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

Canadian Whiskey - Black Velvet, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

A couple of months ago I had a bottle of Evan Williams Black that had about a shot left in it - I also had a bottle of Black Velvet with about a shot left in it, I poured them together and it created a really tasty blend of the two. I don't have a name for it but I make the mix quite often now - try it sometime you may be surprised.

drover
Posted By: Brazos Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by drover
Bourbon - Evan Wiliams Black, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

Canadian Whiskey - Black Velvet, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

A couple of months ago I had a bottle of Evan Williams Black that had about a shot left in it - I also had a bottle of Black Velvet with about a shot left in it, I poured them together and it created a really tasty blend of the two. I don't have a name for it but I make the mix quite often now - try it sometime you may be surprised.

drover

Double blended double black...
Posted By: shootem Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20

Make it Evan Williams Bonded. White Label. 100 proof and 4 yrs (at least) old. Couple of months back it was $22.95 marked down for the big jug. Think regular price is $26 or $28. Their 1783 brand is another fine one coming in at 86 proof and IIRC around $17 or $18 for the 750ml. It's awfully close to EW Single Barrel which has inched up close to $30 for the same 750. But right now it's Black Label in the pantry. I ain't fancy.
4 roses, knob creek, or buffalo trace. Woodford reserve is the next one I’m trying
Posted By: K1500 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Evan white label (bonded)
Wild Turkey 101
Jim Beam Black
Been on a bourbon holiday since the lockdown. Looking to buy a few bottles tomorrow now that I’m off for a couple days. I know such things are ultimately subjective but what do you guys like in the $30 or less price point?

Woodson.... If you can get basil Hayden’s for $30, and $30 happens to be in your range then your search is over. Jim beam is my cheaper go to and Costco basil Hayden’s is as good as it gets for cost/value..
Buffalo Trace sucks
Buffalo Trace

+100
The mention of Old Crow brings back memories of elk hunting in New Mexico and Colorado, the mexican guys would be passing a bottle around on the ride out before dawn. Those guys used the stuff for mouthwash, went thru several bottles of it in camp along with gallons of the cheapest jug wine they could find. Their choice of libations was questionable but man could those guys cook elk steaks and backstrap over an open fire and naturally there was green chile hotter than the fire.
These threads always fascinate me. There are some selections mentioned multiple times above, that I just can't drink, even if I could find them anywhere near $30 in these parts.

I guess the sad truth is that we'll all have to drink a schidtload o' bourbon, & make up our own damned minds.

Since the OP took the time to ask, however...

Originally Posted by rockchucker

Russell's Reserve

Is my favorite bourbon, at any price. And that's the regular 10 year old, NOT their single barrel. wink

FC
Posted By: handwerk Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
easy...Cabin Still

Quite so.
Another nod for Evan Williams black.
I like basil Hayden if I'm sipping, Jim bean black if mixing.
Posted By: woodson Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by kevinJ
woodford double oaked is a top pick for me

bakers 7, knob creek, old grandad, eagle rare( if you can find it) 4 roses, Buffalo trace. John J Bowman is good as well
Tons of good bourbon on the market for a decent price. Tons that suck too. I don’t like bulleit at all.

Basil is good, but kinda high for a bourbon that has lost its age statement. Same could be said for knob creek

Just depends on your price as to what is a value. I think Blantons when bought at 60-65$ is a hell of a value, but others don’t. Found 5 bottles already this year

Mixing, straight, on rocks? How you drink it?

Evan Williams is for mixing at my house, and for that I really like it.

I drink it neat and as a cocktail with Diet Pepsi.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Well, is the 30 $ price point for a handle, or for a 5th? Therein would lie worlds of difference....
Far as lower end Bourbons go, Turkey 101 iWorks for me and hits the price point I believe. Somewhere very close to 30. For a half gallon I believe. Maybe a bit more. Below that, Early Times isn’t terrible. That’s as low as I’ll go.
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Woodson.... If you can get basil Hayden’s for $30, and $30 happens to be in your range then your search is over. Jim beam is my cheaper go to and Costco basil Hayden’s is as good as it gets for cost/value..
Buffalo Trace sucks

I’m thinking the same. That said, BH, IMO, is “too smooth”. It may sound ignorant because I don’t know how else to describe it. Seems like it is missing a bit of “bite” for my liking.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I tried Jack Rye last fall and really liked it. It's probably what I'm more inclined to lean towards now. I'm going to try others eventually. Knowing nothing about ryes, it was a choice between Jack and Bulliet and I picked the Jack because it looked a little darker in color.

I'll take Turkey or Beam for bourbon. Up here in AK there's no such thing as good "value" whiskey. It's all overpriced until you get into the boutique industrial solvents that the Canadians call whiskey.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Well, is the 30 $ price point for a handle, or for a 5th? Therein would lie worlds of difference....
Far as lower end Bourbons go, Turkey 101 iWorks for me and hits the price point I believe. Somewhere very close to 30. For a half gallon I believe. Maybe a bit more. Below that, Early Times isn’t terrible. That’s as low as I’ll go.

I stock Early Times on the regular just for mixing. $15.99 for a jug is solid. When I get home from the hospital I do 2-3 fingers of a sipping whiskey and then make a cocktail with ET.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
In the price range the OP mentioned:
Knob Creek or Jefferson's

Below price range:
Dickel, Williams or Beam
$30 bucks up here, gets you Jim Beam white, some times Jim Beam black on special !

All else upwards from there.

Buffalo, Bulleit, Knob, Basil, Woodford etc all approaching $50.
Posted By: mathman Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by JLimbo

Also was the Weller a bourbon or a whiskey?

Asking for a friend. grin

All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Evan Williams is decent (bettr than Jim Beam IMO) but Old Barton is by far the best cheap whiskey. I pay %13.99 for fifth. Up my dollar chain next would be Old Forrester and up from there is Bowman Brothers. I won't pay any more than that. - VOB is just fine.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Buffalo Trace sucks

I’m thinking the same. That said, BH, IMO, is “too smooth”. It may sound ignorant because I don’t know how else to describe it. Seems like it is missing a bit of “bite” for my liking.

Sounds like my best friend. Says it has to burn to be good. Nope. Why would I drink something that hurts or burns. When there is others out that are smooth.
Posted By: mathman Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
There is a difference between hurts or burns and bite. Rye whiskey can have a spicy bite and not burn.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Thats an individual thing and MUCH worse since I got dentures.. whats mild to most is irritating to me totally.

I"m pretty much down to weak drinks, or something with honey which is usually less alcohol. There are a few I can still deal with straight but on ice. Bulleit 10 year old. And Laphroaig which isn't bourbon.

But even up to then there was no need to drink something that had bite when you could get flavor without bite.

Just my take on it.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Wild Turkey 101.
Posted By: WAM Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Not all bourbons:
Crown Royal Black
Crown Heroes Blend
Knob Creek 100
George Dickel No. 12
Woodford Reserve
Pendleton
Posted By: djs Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20

Yep, Evan Williams, especially the "1783", is a great bourbon.
Posted By: jstert Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
i never acquired a taste for bourbon, sad to say. an inexpensive whiskey that works for me is canadian mist. it became the afternoon dram for a very wealthy, but frugal, canadian scottish maternal uncle late in his life. he put a shot in my hand with a healthy splash of water after i drove long hours to visit him shortly before he died, and it was the perfect post road trip, one drink, relaxant. since then i tend to keep a pint in a suitcase for my travels, and in his memory.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Evan Williams Bonded is my regular stock. If I feel like splurging and its in stock, Colonel Taylor. Knob Creek 100 was my next in line but the hipsters have found it and the price went up.
Rebel Yell and Elijah Craig.
Wild Turkey. If you gotta get drunk on the absolute cheap, Old Crow is palatable.
Posted By: JRaw Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
Beam for mixing, Bulleit for sipping. I have half-bottle of Booker's but only break it out when good friends visit.

Wild Turkey 101 if it's on sale. Four Roses is a surprising value.

Might have to try some Evan Williams, as I think it's been 25 years.
Posted By: PWN Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/15/20
I just tried Larceny. A bit over $20.00 for 750ml and pretty good neat.
I don’t think you can beat Four Roses for under $20 a bottle as a best buy.
Posted By: ribka Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/16/20
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats an individual thing and MUCH worse since I got dentures.. whats mild to most is irritating to me totally.

I"m pretty much down to weak drinks, or something with honey which is usually less alcohol. There are a few I can still deal with straight but on ice. Bulleit 10 year old. And Laphroaig which isn't bourbon.

But even up to then there was no need to drink something that had bite when you could get flavor without bite.

Just my take on it.

The bite is what makes it good for some drinkers
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/16/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I tried Jack Rye last fall and really liked it. It's probably what I'm more inclined to lean towards now. I'm going to try others eventually. Knowing nothing about ryes, it was a choice between Jack and Bulliet and I picked the Jack because it looked a little darker in color.

I'll take Turkey or Beam for bourbon. Up here in AK there's no such thing as good "value" whiskey. It's all overpriced until you get into the boutique industrial solvents that the Canadians call whiskey.

Dude.... You got to get on the special Gavora Liquor's List. Three bottles of Blanton's each year. They always pull something good from the back when I show up there. Might not be bargain in L48 terms but I scored some WR Weller Reserve 12 you for 35.00 last time I went through. That is great bourbon anywhere.
Originally Posted by amax155
Evan Williams Bonded is my regular stock. If I feel like splurging and its in stock, Colonel Taylor. Knob Creek 100 was my next in line but the hipsters have found it and the price went up.

Not really a bourbon drinker. When I do whisk(e)y it's most likely a single malt scotch.

But just for grins, and because I'd read this thread earlier today, when I hit the local supermarket to pick up some pork shoulder on sale, I also picked up a bottle of EW bottled in bond.

Definitely NOT disappointed for $13.99 a fifth.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/16/20
in no particular order:

Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek
Crown Royal (duty free on the ferry from Anacortes to Sydney BC. (15 minutes north of Victoria)
Jim Beam and Squirt on the rocks is my choice.
Blanton's Single Barrel
EH Taylor Jr. Small Batch
Eagle Rare 10
WL Weller Special Reserve

All on the shelf here...and pretty cheap...
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Blanton's Single Barrel
Eagle Rare 10

The only one of those that you might be able to get for under $30 is Eagle Rare, but not where I live. It's closer to $40 here. All the others are more $ and Blanton's and WL Weller SR are both being allocated and are in short supply. I won't buy allocated or any whiskey going for more that MSRP. That leaves out many of the Buffalo Trace whiskies. I've had all of them and they are not special. There are many more available and less expensive whiskey out there that I actually prefer.
Posted By: woodson Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
Ended up buying big bottles of Evan Williams and WT101.
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
I have come to like the flavored boubons, straight on the rocks. Honey, vanilla, wild cherry and fire with about 20% horchada. Jim Beam works for me. I buy it in Florida where we visit every year. If I catch it on sale, about $21 for a half. Hard to beat that. If I am feeling flush I like Jack Daniels honey too, but about twice the price of Beam on sale.
WT101 is a great decision. Any Evan Williams is rot-gut shixt dranked up only by inexperienced drunks who put no value on taste or re-taste.
I used to drink Wild Turkey 101 exclusively then tried Jim Beam Devils Cut, by far my favorite bourbon.

A good bourbon but cheaper than the above is the Jesse James Outlaw bourbon, very good for its price.

Never tried many of the cheap bourbons.

Tried Jack Daniels a few times but for how it tastes compared to its cost it is a very easy pass. I guess you are paying for the name on that one.
Posted By: woodson Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
WT101 is one I’ll continue to stock. Evan Williams, IMO, is suitable as a mixer for sure.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I used to drink Wild Turkey 101 exclusively then tried Jim Beam Devils Cut, by far my favorite bourbon.

A good bourbon but cheaper than the above is the Jesse James Outlaw bourbon, very good for its price.

Never tried many of the cheap bourbons.

Tried Jack Daniels a few times but for how it tastes compared to its cost it is a very easy pass. I guess you are paying for the name on that one.
That Jesse James shixt is possibly even more rank than Evan Williams and that's a damned challenge. Never again.

If you've never tried many of the "cheap bourbons", you should, because most of the pricier Bourbons are just that...pricier. They taste no better and sometimes are much worse. I've been drinking Bourbon since I was like, thirteen. Maybe I just can't remember before that...
WT101 is one I’ll continue to stock. Evan Williams, IMO, is suitable as a mixer for sure.
Evan Williams might be good to keep around for in-laws or other undesirables you don't want showing back up, but only if you don't have access to that Jesse James varnish-shixt. Flying fook...try some f u cking Old Crow. Palatable.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20

don't drink it.......but my buddy says this is the boss

https://abarabove.com/costco-kirkland-bourbon-review/

I bet you'll enjoy both of them. The WT101 is a classic bourbon with many of the standard bourbon flavors (sweet, vanilla, light fruits and a touch of cinnamon spice) without any flaws. The EW Bottled in Bond is a great value. It has a nice nutty character along with the sweetness, vanilla, caramel and light fruits (pear and apple) notes. I've not experienced any off notes with it and I've had a couple bottles of it this year. Heaven Hill is the distiller of Evan Williams and I'm a fan of many of their whiskeys. 1783 and Evan Williams Single Barrel are both good and more approachable for those who don't like higher proof and both are a step up from the Black Label. The white label Bottled In Bond is a step up in proof and flavor. Both are what I would consider as on the lighter side of the bourbon flavor spectrum. I bet you'll like them.

Ever the empiricist, I'm testing the collective wisdom of the 24HCF with these $19.99 (L) and $20.99 (R) offerings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We'll see how they rate 'against my $32.95 mainstay.

FC
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
Looking forward to the results FC. Hoping we can get a Bourbon subforum on here
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
Buffalo Trace..…..Up in yo face!!
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Looking forward to the results FC. Hoping we can get a Bourbon subforum on here

OH, be careful what you wish for - a bourbon subform would make the Optics hangout look like a Bible Study! laugh

FC
Evan Williams is my garage whiskey

Elijah Craig small batch is my good friend or family sipping whiskey.

Also have numerous others mentioned. Personal taste, I like Bulleit not a fan of Basil Hayden 🤷🏻‍♂️

OT but a pard & his son severely damaged if not killed a bottle of Jack Daniels old 27 gold this past weekend at their cabin. Said it was best stuff he’s ever had🤷🏻‍♂️ But it’s a hundo a bottle
I think a bourbon subforum would be a hoot and a half!
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
I think a bourbon subforum would be a hoot and a half!

This.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
Anybody remember George Dickel? I never drank it but used to enjoy the ads: "Give em the Dickel." I find Knob Creek locally for $22.95 a fifth and thats what I usually buy. BH is very good straight up, and I read they bottle it at 80 proof precisely to get the smoothness that most 100 proofs lack. At $29.95 for BH I always go back to Knob Creek in the long run, drink it on a large ice cube. My FIL is an Evan Williams fan, but I have no reason to change. He drinks it with a splash of 7-Up. Ugh. BTW, Knob Creek, BH and a host of other "craft" Kentucky bourbons are now owned entirely by Suntory. Check it out.
Posted By: mbrook Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
For those of you in or near the Twin Cities, relatively new distillery in Waconia. Full disclosure, the owner is a friend of mine.

https://www.jcarverdistillery.com/bourbons
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Anybody remember George Dickel? I never drank it but used to enjoy the ads: "Give em the Dickel." I find Knob Creek locally for $22.95 a fifth and thats what I usually buy. BH is very good straight up, and I read they bottle it at 80 proof precisely to get the smoothness that most 100 proofs lack. At $29.95 for BH I always go back to Knob Creek in the long run, drink it on a large ice cube. My FIL is an Evan Williams fan, but I have no reason to change. He drinks it with a splash of 7-Up. Ugh. BTW, Knob Creek, BH and a host of other "craft" Kentucky bourbons are now owned entirely by Suntory. Check it out.

I had Dickel #12 last year after seeing a positive review and it wasn't my thing. It had a mineral/vitamin (think Flintstone vitamin) note that was very dominant for me that I just could not get past. Some people apparently like it, or they don't taste it the same way, but it's a one and done for me. Knob Creek is a staple and I'm rarely without it in my cabinet. It's a solid bourbon. Basil Hayden at 80 proof is just way to watered down for me. I think it's basically the same mashbill (recipe) as Knob Creek that has just been watered down to 80 proof. Buy the Knob Creek and add your own water to the level of heat you can tolerate without knocking the flavors down. I just can't do 80 proof bourbon any more. 100-120 proof is where my preferences lie for most expressions. The flavors are really packed in there at the higher proofs, if you can stand the heat.
My local liquor guy takes pretty good care of me. I stop in once a week to see what's new and fun. He keeps a nice selection and rotates out of things, so its all good. Yesterday it was a bottle of 18yr Elijah Craig. MSRP 149...I said no thanks. My stash is a bit out of control right now anyway.

I do have my eye on a bottle of Old GrandDad 114 on the bottom shelf over there. We'll see what the afternoon brings...
Posted By: antlers Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
I like Bulleit as good as any for inexpensive bourbon. I’d just as soon spend the extra money though and get my favorite bourbon...Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.
I agree on the lower proofs, I have a bottle of Jeffersons Reserve at 80 proof and its too watery for me anymore. Some on the high end are way too much though. I bought a 1792 Full Proof "Bourbon of the Year" and it was way over my head...at first. I left it for 6 weeks and was about to give it to a friend so I poured a glass for myself. Wow was I surprised at the changes in that time.
Value? Jim Beam
Originally Posted by cooper57m
100-120 proof is where my preferences lie for most expressions. The flavors are really packed in there at the higher proofs, if you can stand the heat.

I agree on the lower proofs, I have a bottle of Jeffersons Reserve at 80 proof and its too watery for me anymore. Some on the high end are way too much though.

Old Forrester 1920 has an awful lot goin' on in there, which I really like. But it sure puts the, "sip" in "sippin' whiskey". blush

FC
My local liquor guy takes pretty good care of me. I stop in once a week to see what's new and fun. He keeps a nice selection and rotates out of things, so its all good. Yesterday it was a bottle of 18yr Elijah Craig. MSRP 149...I said no thanks. My stash is a bit out of control right now anyway.

I do have my eye on a bottle of Old GrandDad 114 on the bottom shelf over there. We'll see what the afternoon brings...

The Old Grand Dad 114 is definitely worthy. It's a high rye content bourbon so it will be on the more savory, spicy and peppery side of things, which I am sometimes in the mood for. If you like Rye Whiskey or high rye bourbons, you'll probably like the OGD 114. It's a good value.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
100-120 proof is where my preferences lie for most expressions. The flavors are really packed in there at the higher proofs, if you can stand the heat.

I agree on the lower proofs, I have a bottle of Jeffersons Reserve at 80 proof and its too watery for me anymore. Some on the high end are way too much though.

Old Forrester 1920 has an awful lot goin' on in there, which I really like. But it sure puts the, "sip" in "sippin' whiskey". blush

FC

The Old Forester 1920 is one of my all time favorite bourbons. The 100 proof signature Old Forester is a great value. Old Forester is doing many things right, right now.
Weller's. Not even close. Less than 20 bucks per 750 ml. You're welcome.
I killed a bottle of Weller's SR this winter. It didn't do it for me, wasn't even as good as Buffalo Trace in my mind. Which one do you like and what do you like about it? $35 bucks if I remember right.
Posted By: wdenike Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
Good god !!!!! With honey, vanilla, and some of the chit ya all put in it. What the fug difference does it make what kind ya drink??

Take care, Willie
Was out and about yesterday for a few necessities, etc. Went by one of my favorite chain liquor stores, Speck's, and scored a 1.75 litre of Evan Williams bottled in bond 100 proof as suggested by some here on the fire. Cheep priced at just shy of $25 OTD, cash price. At that price, I didn't see how I could go wrong. Had two decent shots of it just before bedtime. Not sure just yet if I like it or not. I will certainly drink it. I have also been wanting to try Henry McKenna, but one big bottle at a time is enough. As of now, my favorite bourbons are Weller Reserve, Four Roses Single Barrel, Basil Hayden, and Buffalo Trace, not necessarily in that order. Additionally, and I know that it is Tennessee whisky and not bourbon, I am rather fond of George Dickel black label. Just my particular taste, but I like my Dickel black label better than the yellow label. Also like Dickel better than Jack Daniel's Tennessee whisky, which is fine stuff itself. Someone also had mentioned Old Forester. I had some at an event last summer and I recall being impressed with it. Will have to put it on the "will try" list.
I'm having a couple fingers of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond right now and it's delicious. It's not overly complex and has light flavor notes (vanilla, light fruit, light oak, simple syrup) but no off notes. It's not ethanol forward or bitter. It's a bourbon that is simple and light and sweet, yet at 100 proof has some body and bite to it. For the money, I think it's a great value. IMO it's a leader at it's price point.
Posted By: pru Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
I'm having a couple fingers of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond right now and it's delicious. It's not overly complex and has light flavor notes (vanilla, light fruit, light oak, simple syrup) but no off notes. It's not ethanol forward or bitter. It's a bourbon that is simple and light and sweet, yet at 100 proof has some body and bite to it. For the money, I think it's a great value. IMO it's a leader at it's price point.

Yep,
to my retarded palate, It does just fine.
Posted By: JPro Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20

That is my general combo. WT101 if drinking straight, EW Black for mixing. As others have said, The EW Bottled in Bond (White Label) is a notable step up from the Black and the price is't bad.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Evan Williams might be good to keep around for in-laws or other undesirables you don't want showing back up, but only if you don't have access to that Jesse James varnish-shixt. Flying fook...try some f u cking Old Crow. Palatable.

Wanting Ethan Edwards to weigh in with his recommendation for a reasonable priced bourbon. Old Crow?
Have to confess I like Evan Black and Single Barrel.
Not technically bourbon but Clyde Mays is excellent and from that part of the country. I don't buy it often because I have a tendency to drink the whole bottle in about a week. Ain't nobody got time for that!
Posted By: kingston Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/17/20
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Not technically bourbon but Clyde Mays is excellent and from that part of the country. I don't buy it often because I have a tendency to drink the whole bottle in about a week. Ain't nobody got time for that!

I’m a big fan of Clyde May’s Alabama style Whisky.
I've had a couple go-'rounds with the OGD Bonded this afternoon/evening. The Verdict: Eh, I've had worse.

Not much going on in the bouquet. Not even much heat there, during my sniffing.

In the mouth, everything happens in the front. It doesn't do a thing for me on the sides or back of the tongue. There's some heat up front, but it dissipates quickly, into nothingness. A little spice, but not as much as I was expecting. I suppose was expecting the wheat to make it spicy, & the 100 proof to bring more heat.

It's clean, for sure - no aftertaste. There just seems to be little to savor as I sip. Again, I've had worse. i certainly won't have to mix it to choke it down.

These things are personal. I'd likely start a fistfight if I were to list all the sought-after bourbons listed 'round here that I'd pass over for this OGD, and that's after I've already said I don't think much of it in the first place. But I do enjoy this journey of discovery.

I'll crack the 1783 tomorrow.

FC
Tried Knob Creek tonight because of this thread. It is rather enjoyable, also picked up a Weller green label and a Dickel 12. I’ve had the Dickel before so it is a sure bet.
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Tried Knob Creek tonight because of this thread. It is rather enjoyable, also picked up a Weller green label and a Dickel 12. I’ve had the Dickel before so it is a sure bet.

Knob creek was my go-to for many, many years. Dickel comes to hunting camp in GA, ever since the locals introduced us. It does kinda have its charms.

FC
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Blanton's Single Barrel
Eagle Rare 10

The only one of those that you might be able to get for under $30 is Eagle Rare, but not where I live. It's closer to $40 here. All the others are more $ and Blanton's and WL Weller SR are both being allocated and are in short supply. I won't buy allocated or any whiskey going for more that MSRP. That leaves out many of the Buffalo Trace whiskies. I've had all of them and they are not special. There are many more available and less expensive whiskey out there that I actually prefer.

Dude,

I'm listing them for what we SELL them for...

We BUY them for much less...

ER is $26 here ON THE SHELF
BLANTONS $48
EHTSB $36
WSR $29

And Yes, the BT whiskies ARE special if you are in the hospitality business as we are...sorry your taste/mileage varies from that of our thousands of customers..

Are you a purveyor? If so you need to call BT cuz you're getting fv(ed..

Gotta Love NY...and NYers...
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Wanting Ethan Edwards to weigh in with his recommendation for a reasonable priced bourbon. Old Crow?
Have to confess I like Evan Black and Single Barrel.
Old Crow is drinkable, but it's last resort type stuff. WT, as I said is probably a best buy. Bulleit is good but not enough better than WT to justify the price. Henry McKenna is reasonably priced, as is George Dickel. WT is just as good, if not better. WT is pretty cheap if bought at Sam's Club in the jug. Weller's and Buffalo Trace are okay. Most of the stuff mentioned isn't as cheap as WT if bought as I specified. I have no idea if you can beat or equal the price at liquor stores because I'm usually after better stuff if I bother going to one. $32.95 for WT, IIRC. It used to be substantially cheaper too. I mentioned this several years back and later noted people on here who hate my guts quietly switching over to it as their favorite, usually from Buffalo Trace. BT does have a cooler label though. lol

For Rye you just cannot beat Rendezvous Rye by High West. It is of moderate price though and not the answer to the OP's question. Rebecca Creek for a moderately priced American Whiskey.

IMO Evan Williams, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are all swill.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/18/20
Very Old Barton

Never see it mentioned but it is the real deal.
I like clear stuff in a mason jar that was run real slow......
Today I've sampled: Yellowstone Select, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Small Batch Select and Knob Creek Rye. The winner of the day is: Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, tho Rare Breed and the Knob Creek Rye were all very worthy. Today was a good day!
Posted By: antlers Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 04/19/20
There’s a distillery in Breckinridge and they make pretty darn good bourbon. They make one in particular that’s been finished in port wine casks. It’s pretty tasty.
Yesterday I got into the 1783.

Much preferable to the OGD. Some nice things going on in the bouquet, and noticeable carmel & vanilla in the mouth - for a little while, anyway. Quite smooth, generally, with a clean finish.

I'd call it a good cut above Beam & ET, but given how it's $20, and those two sell for $11 around here, it oughta be.

Still, since I can spend another $13 for the Russells' Reserve, I'll continue to roll that way. Y'know... after I finish these 2...

FC
Old Crow for mix....Elijah Craig for drinking....both come at a fair price.
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Very Old Barton

Never see it mentioned but it is the real deal.

I finally found some. I finally stopped @ The Party Source on a run into KY this week and bought some. I got the 80 rather than the 86 proof.

It's... not objectionable. It's smooth, to the point that there's almost no bouquet, nor flavor, nor bark, nor bite. But it was definitely inexpensive.

An employee made a big deal out of asking everyone if they needed help, so I asked him what else in their joint gave the same kind of bouquet/flavor/smoothness as Russell's Reserve anywhere near its price point. He quickly replied that there were no others. I'm grateful I can afford the $28 they want for it.

FC
Posted By: antlers Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/09/20
I like Bulleit quite well. If I’m gonna spend a bit more, I’ll get Knobb Creek Single Barrel Reserve. It is my favorite bourbon of all.
I like Basil Hayden, I generally buy it on sale at under $30 a bottle.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/09/20

Costco ?

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/costco-kirkland-brand-alcohol-spirits
Just tapped a new bottle of Russel reserve. This batch 116 proof smooth and heavy on the vanilla. Cork going back in to save till I retire or the world. WT and other Russel whiskeys generally good but once in a while a batch is really, really good.
Posted By: Papag Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/09/20
Agree but hard to find here so I sub Evan Williams at $25/1.75.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/09/20
I just opened this bottle and it is exceptional. Not cheap at $30 but not stupid expensive either.

Posted By: AKduck Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/09/20
WT 101
Try the 12 year old Dickel. Go to drink at hunt camp.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by travelingman1

Have had the 11 year?
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
A lot of good recommendations here, and if you can find $26 bottles of Eagle Rare where you are I say thats your winner... Where I am its more like $38, so it doesn't make the OPs cut.

For cheap whiskey I like Fighting Cock - $16 for a fifth locally, more caramel than vanilla, some real nice barrel spice and sometimes I get a little fruit like apricot or plum, 103 proof. Not a big distiller sub-brand - made in Bardstown by Fighting Cock distillery.

EW BiB is pretty decent cheap stuff too IMO. Swinging by the store to grab some 101 tomorrow.

And yeah, a Whiskey forum here would be appreciated!
Posted By: scoony Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
WT101 is probably the most under rated bourbon of all time. A very solid basic bourbon. Evan Williams bottled in bond is a great value. Heaven Hill 6 year green label at $12 a bottle is probably the best cheap bourbon out there but unsure if you can get it outside of KY.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
WT 101. I'm getting on the outside of some right now!
Just poured a nip of Fighting Cock - better than I remember it although this one is a little more "tangy sweet" than usual. The caramel is sitting a little under the rest of it.

Maybe I need 2....

And I just found out - Heaven Hill owns them.
Originally Posted by EdM

Have had the 11 year?

Mine is definitely 12 year. Good stuff.
On the rocks
And High West Double Rye deserves a recommendation.

Always under $30, always really good. May require a little time in a bottle thats been opened a few.times to be at its best.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
Today I've sampled: Yellowstone Select, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Small Batch Select and Knob Creek Rye. The winner of the day is: Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, tho Rare Breed and the Knob Creek Rye were all very worthy. Today was a good day!

Knob Creek Rye is some good schitt.
Originally Posted by antlers
I like Bulleit quite well. If I’m gonna spend a bit more, I’ll get Knobb Creek Single Barrel Reserve. It is my favorite bourbon of all.

Plus 1
I'll say one thing for Evan Williams taste...it's about as good coming back up as it was going down.

Henry McKenna is pretty good and not badly priced.
I've mentioned before that some of the best whiskey I ever tasted was McKendrick made IIRC, in Abilene, TX. Sadly, it was discontinued some years back. It was very inexpensive also. Rebecca Creek tastes suspiciously like it and it would not surprise me if it was the same whiskey. Sadly, Rebecca Creek nudges up into the "expensive" category whereas its predecessor was not a lot more costly than Old Crow.
Posted By: mart Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
For a bourbon I like 4Roses. If you like Irish Whisky you might try some Tullamore Dew Cider Cask.
I'll say one thing for Evan Williams taste...it's about as good coming back up as it was going down.

Henry McKenna is pretty good and not badly priced.

+1 on the Evan Williams. I read several recommendations for it, so a few months ago I scored a jug of it bottled in bond. I was looking forward to a fine treat. Well...I finally drank it all. It was too good to pour out, and I won't refuse to drink it again, but I ain't paying for any more of it. Just didn't work for me.

Never tried any Henry McKenna. It is one on my try list. It was "Skeeter" Skelton's favorite whiskey and I figure if his taste in whiskey was near as good as his writing and his appreciating of good handguns, it should be good stuff. I shall see, but I have a jug of Weller Reserve and Buffalo Trace to finish off first. Might take a while as I don't drink that often.
Originally Posted by EdM

Have had the 11 year?

12 YR. Dickle is darn good Tennessee whiskey. Dickle 12 year also is what I use when making my bread pudding sauce. Excellent! Everybody wants seconds and many ask for the recipe. I once served it at a church dinner (with pastor's permission). We were a spirit filled congregation.
Buffalo Trace

a HUGE +1

Have to agree....Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon for the money and it's all about location. Whenever I visit my Kid's, I always bring back a couple bottles from their area as it's $26 a bottle compared to $50 here.....IF you can even find it!
Originally Posted by mart
For a bourbon I like 4Roses. If you like Irish Whisky you might try some Tullamore Dew Cider Cask.

While traveling through Kentucky in 2018, I stopped at the Four Roses distillery and took a tour and a tasting. Bought a bottle of the single barrel bourbon. Very good bourbon.

I haven't had any Tullamore Dew in a while, but I have enjoyed it in the past. In fact, I preferred it over Jameson. I've not heard of this Cider Cask version. May have to put it on the to try list. I have a lot on my to try list. Hope I live long enough to get around to them all. Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.
Originally Posted by EdM

Have had the 11 year?

Dickel #12 is not an age stated whiskey. The 12 on the label is not an age statement, it's the name of the whiskey. Same for their No 8. The only Dickel standard release whiskey that currently has an age statement is their Bottled in Bond, which is 11 year old. A previous release of the the Dickel Bottled in Bond had a 13 yr age statement. I bought a bottle of Dickel No 12 last year and I got the mineral, chewable vitamin (Flintstone vitamin) note big time and didn't enjoy it. Their rye (which is distilled by MGP) is decent.

The age of Dickel 12 is not known but reviewers have speculated that it's likely a blend of whiskeys from 6-10 years.. By law, if a bourbon has an age statement, it has to be the age of the youngest whiskey blended into a batch. Since many distilleries are using young whiskey in their batches as well as some older barrels, they don't want to put a 4 or 6 year statement on their label. This is why so many have done away with age statements. The No 12 that Dickel puts on their label is meant to confuse the customer into thinking it's an older whiskey than it is.

BTW, Knob Creek is now back to being an age stated whiskey and once again is a 9 yr old whiskey. At it's price point, that is a great value.
Originally Posted by frogman43
Buffalo Trace

a HUGE +1

Have to agree....Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon for the money and it's all about location. Whenever I visit my Kid's, I always bring back a couple bottles from their area as it's $26 a bottle compared to $50 here.....IF you can even find it!

Buffalo Trace is some good stuff! When I feel Froggy I get Bookers, but that is about 1 bottle a year.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
Anybody else try High West American Prairie Bourbon?
I picked up a bottle on sale for $25. I was shocked at how good it is! It comes in at 92 proof, which, since I like bourbon over ice, is about the minimum proof I'll bother with. I'm not a real bourbon connoisseur, but I prefer it over some higher-dollar bourbons like Four Roses and Knob Creek.
Knob Creek doesn't impress me a whole lot but it's ok.
Blanton's is my favorite when I can find it. Eagle rare is my preferred choice over Buffalo Trace and Jim but both of those are still just fine. The eagle rare is a little hard to find as well so most often it's Jim and Buffalo.
I'm surprised that there's such a difference of opinion on the Evan Williams stuff.
Posted By: hanco Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
Me and Jack don’t get along no more!
Originally Posted by kragman1
I'm surprised that there's such a difference of opinion on the Evan Williams stuff.

Everyone's palate is different, and thankfully so. I like some of the Evan Williams (Heaven Hill Distillery) whiskeys. Their Single Barrel and 1783 are good for whiskey in their proof range (86-90). I prefer the Bottled in Bond due to it's higher proof. It's not a bold whiskey but is a nice gentle sipper for those times when that's what I'm looking for. If I want big and bold, the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof will deliver that, but certainly is not a budget bourbon. I don't hunt down any of the Buffalo Trace Distillery bourbons (Eagle Rare, Blantons, the Wellers etc) because I don't find they are special enough for me to put in the effort to find them or to pay above MSRP for them. My favorites are: WT 101, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, WT 101 Rye, Rare Breed Rye, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Old Forester Signature, Old Forester 1910 and 1920, Old Forester Rye, Pikesville Rye, Knob Creek, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Knob Creek Rye, Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof Single Barrel was a nice surprise for me this year.
Just picked up a bottle of Col Taylor BiB today and a bottle of Pikesville Rye.

The Taylor is always a standout after it breathes, and I hear really good things about Pikesville but I've never had it.

$40 & $51 respectively where I am. Not bargain stuff as the OP was asking for, but I consider the Taylor a bargain for $40.
Needed the rye for an event in 2 weeks or I probably would have bought another bottle of HW Double Rye....
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
Buffalo Trace and 4 roses
Weller 107
Branton’s
Buffalo Trace
Weller is hard to find here and has gone up to $50
Branton’s is readily available for $60
I have been getting the Buffalo for $50 a half gallon
Posted By: antlers Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
I may be in the minority, but I do not like Buffalo Trace. I’ve tried, but I do not like the spiciness of it at all. The only thing I’ve tasted that was as bad as Buffalo Trace, to me, is Kessler.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
Jim Beam Black
Posted By: micky Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by papalondog
Weller 107
Branton’s
Buffalo Trace
Weller is hard to find here and has gone up to $50
Branton’s is readily available for $60
I have been getting the Buffalo for $50 a half gallon

Do you mean Blanton's? Finding hens teeth is noticably easier.

Good cheaper bourbon is Old Granddad Bonded. MUST BE BONDED. let it sit in the ice for a few min, it's 100 proof.

Bulliet is good too
If you can find Weller for $30,buy every bottle you can. I'll pay you twice that tomorrow and pay for shipping.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
McKenna makes me bulletproof.
Originally Posted by kragman1
Just picked up a bottle of Col Taylor BiB today and a bottle of Pikesville Rye.

The Taylor is always a standout after it breathes, and I hear really good things about Pikesville but I've never had it.

$40 & $51 respectively where I am. Not bargain stuff as the OP was asking for, but I consider the Taylor a bargain for $40.
Needed the rye for an event in 2 weeks or I probably would have bought another bottle of HW Double Rye....

I think you'll like the Pikesville. It's a barely legal rye at 51% rye and is very bourbon like in it's flavor and very pleasant. It was my favorite rye until I tried the Rare Breed Rye.
Posted By: llama2 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
If you can find Weller for $30,buy every bottle you can. I'll pay you twice that tomorrow and pay for shipping.

Which of the Weller’s are you looking for?
Had a nice glass of WT 101 today.
I had forgotten how much I like it.
Only $25 for a fifth.....
No connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, but I really like Evan single barrel reserve and Evan B-n-B. Like Woodfords around Christmas, I always get a couple bottles from different salesmen.
Originally Posted by llama2
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Which of the Weller’s are you looking for?

Any of them.
Originally Posted by antlers
I may be in the minority, but I do not like Buffalo Trace. I’ve tried, but I do not like the spiciness of it at all. The only thing I’ve tasted that was as bad as Buffalo Trace, to me, is Kessler.

+1 on the BT...............about the only thing as nearly as bad is panther piss.

In mid priced stuff, I'll take Makers or Basil Hayden's.

MM
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/12/20
Another big fan of WT 101. Nearly unbeatable for the $$

Bourbon on a budget......... Ezra, Evan and Elijah. Elijah Small Batch being my daily "house brand"

Buffalo Trace, Bulleit and Eagle Rare also VERY good. But try to find ANY Buffalo Trace offerings around here............ Weller and Blanton's NEVER. Our state-run liquor system SUCKS.

My current favorite is above the OP's price point by a few bucks. But Russell's Reserve 10 year is HUGELY underrated.

Not bourbon, but.................. Dickel Rye is phenomenal at 20-couple bucks.
Can you get the Evan Williams at common stores? Wanna give it a try.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/12/20
Rebel Yell is pretty good too. Sippin whiskey.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Rebel Yell is nothing more than standard Weller's with a cooler label.
Posted By: WAM Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/12/20
There’s a whisky for every taste and preference. Evan Williams is drinkable although not my favorite. Dickel No. 12 is my standby. Not as popular here as down South it seems. Bulleit and Knob Creek are ok. Basil Hayden is underwhelming at the least for the price. Dad and uncle used to drink Four Roses but I don’t recall ever sampling it. I enjoy Pendleton for a change of pace. Got introduced to it about 10 years ago at the Snake River Stampede. Let ‘Er Buck!
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by rickt300

Rebel Yell is nothing more than standard Weller's with a cooler label.

I'm good with that!
Since Weller's is now rarer than hen's teeth, I've been looking for a good replacement. Knob Creek 9-year is new out this year and it is quite good @$25-30 - better than Weller's IMO. Buffalo Trace getting harder to find, but KC is better.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/13/20
As I wrote above, this is very good whisky.

Posted By: sse Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/13/20
last few times i've gone up fishing, took bottles of port in the same general price range, don't get quite as s-faced
Originally Posted by EdM

I really need to try that.
I'll vote for Ten High and J W Dant.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best “value” bourbon? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by EdM

I really need to try that.

Total Wine has it.
For those of you who used to run in formation:

Hey Hey Captain (Whiskey) Jack
Hey, Hey Captain Jack

Meet me down
by the railroad track
With a Bottle in your hand
I’m gonna be a drinking man
A drinking man

Hey, Hey Captain Jack