Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About $20, I like Wild Turkey.

Ain’t bourbon, but for the same money, I really like Jack Rye.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bulleit for the money, but Buffalo Trace is right there too...though 90% of the time I'm on whisky, I'm drinkin' Rye.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wild Turkey 101,Or Jim Beam Black..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff = Blanton's

OK stuff = Makers Mark

Every day economical stuff = Evan Williams, Old Grand Dad, Early Times, Jim Beam

Pure schitt = Buffalo Trace, I refuse to accept it

Lots of stuff in each category.

MM

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bourbon - Evan Wiliams Black, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

Canadian Whiskey - Black Velvet, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

A couple of months ago I had a bottle of Evan Williams Black that had about a shot left in it - I also had a bottle of Black Velvet with about a shot left in it, I poured them together and it created a really tasty blend of the two. I don't have a name for it but I make the mix quite often now - try it sometime you may be surprised.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
Bourbon - Evan Wiliams Black, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

Canadian Whiskey - Black Velvet, neat or one ice cube sometimes.

A couple of months ago I had a bottle of Evan Williams Black that had about a shot left in it - I also had a bottle of Black Velvet with about a shot left in it, I poured them together and it created a really tasty blend of the two. I don't have a name for it but I make the mix quite often now - try it sometime you may be surprised.

drover

Double blended double black...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Skunkman
Hands down...no better bourbon for the price, Evan Williams. Around here 15.99 a liter,and an excellent Bourbon.

Make it Evan Williams Bonded. White Label. 100 proof and 4 yrs (at least) old. Couple of months back it was $22.95 marked down for the big jug. Think regular price is $26 or $28. Their 1783 brand is another fine one coming in at 86 proof and IIRC around $17 or $18 for the 750ml. It's awfully close to EW Single Barrel which has inched up close to $30 for the same 750. But right now it's Black Label in the pantry. I ain't fancy.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
4 roses, knob creek, or buffalo trace. Woodford reserve is the next one I’m trying

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Evan white label (bonded)
Wild Turkey 101
Jim Beam Black

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by woodson
Been on a bourbon holiday since the lockdown. Looking to buy a few bottles tomorrow now that I’m off for a couple days. I know such things are ultimately subjective but what do you guys like in the $30 or less price point?

Ran through ryes recently. Enjoyed the spice but want to move on. I made a scene at Costco with Basil Hayden’s @ $29.99 a pop.

What say the fire, when it comes to a “value” bourbon?

Woodson.... If you can get basil Hayden’s for $30, and $30 happens to be in your range then your search is over. Jim beam is my cheaper go to and Costco basil Hayden’s is as good as it gets for cost/value..
Buffalo Trace sucks

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Buffalo Trace

+100

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The mention of Old Crow brings back memories of elk hunting in New Mexico and Colorado, the mexican guys would be passing a bottle around on the ride out before dawn. Those guys used the stuff for mouthwash, went thru several bottles of it in camp along with gallons of the cheapest jug wine they could find. Their choice of libations was questionable but man could those guys cook elk steaks and backstrap over an open fire and naturally there was green chile hotter than the fire.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
These threads always fascinate me. There are some selections mentioned multiple times above, that I just can't drink, even if I could find them anywhere near $30 in these parts.

I guess the sad truth is that we'll all have to drink a schidtload o' bourbon, & make up our own damned minds.

Since the OP took the time to ask, however...

Originally Posted by rockchucker

Russell's Reserve

Is my favorite bourbon, at any price. And that's the regular 10 year old, NOT their single barrel. wink

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
easy...Cabin Still

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Skunkman
Hands down...no better bourbon for the price, Evan Williams. Around here 15.99 a liter,and an excellent Bourbon.

Quite so.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Another nod for Evan Williams black.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I like basil Hayden if I'm sipping, Jim bean black if mixing.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
woodson Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinJ
woodford double oaked is a top pick for me

bakers 7, knob creek, old grandad, eagle rare( if you can find it) 4 roses, Buffalo trace. John J Bowman is good as well
Tons of good bourbon on the market for a decent price. Tons that suck too. I don’t like bulleit at all.

Basil is good, but kinda high for a bourbon that has lost its age statement. Same could be said for knob creek

Just depends on your price as to what is a value. I think Blantons when bought at 60-65$ is a hell of a value, but others don’t. Found 5 bottles already this year

Mixing, straight, on rocks? How you drink it?

Evan Williams is for mixing at my house, and for that I really like it.

I drink it neat and as a cocktail with Diet Pepsi.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well, is the 30 $ price point for a handle, or for a 5th? Therein would lie worlds of difference....
Far as lower end Bourbons go, Turkey 101 iWorks for me and hits the price point I believe. Somewhere very close to 30. For a half gallon I believe. Maybe a bit more. Below that, Early Times isn’t terrible. That’s as low as I’ll go.

woodson Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by woodson
Been on a bourbon holiday since the lockdown. Looking to buy a few bottles tomorrow now that I’m off for a couple days. I know such things are ultimately subjective but what do you guys like in the $30 or less price point?

Ran through ryes recently. Enjoyed the spice but want to move on. I made a scene at Costco with Basil Hayden’s @ $29.99 a pop.

What say the fire, when it comes to a “value” bourbon?

Woodson.... If you can get basil Hayden’s for $30, and $30 happens to be in your range then your search is over. Jim beam is my cheaper go to and Costco basil Hayden’s is as good as it gets for cost/value..
Buffalo Trace sucks

I’m thinking the same. That said, BH, IMO, is “too smooth”. It may sound ignorant because I don’t know how else to describe it. Seems like it is missing a bit of “bite” for my liking.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.