Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not technically bourbon but Clyde Mays is excellent and from that part of the country. I don't buy it often because I have a tendency to drink the whole bottle in about a week. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Not technically bourbon but Clyde Mays is excellent and from that part of the country. I don't buy it often because I have a tendency to drink the whole bottle in about a week. Ain't nobody got time for that!

I’m a big fan of Clyde May’s Alabama style Whisky.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've had a couple go-'rounds with the OGD Bonded this afternoon/evening. The Verdict: Eh, I've had worse.

Not much going on in the bouquet. Not even much heat there, during my sniffing.

In the mouth, everything happens in the front. It doesn't do a thing for me on the sides or back of the tongue. There's some heat up front, but it dissipates quickly, into nothingness. A little spice, but not as much as I was expecting. I suppose was expecting the wheat to make it spicy, & the 100 proof to bring more heat.

It's clean, for sure - no aftertaste. There just seems to be little to savor as I sip. Again, I've had worse. i certainly won't have to mix it to choke it down.

These things are personal. I'd likely start a fistfight if I were to list all the sought-after bourbons listed 'round here that I'd pass over for this OGD, and that's after I've already said I don't think much of it in the first place. But I do enjoy this journey of discovery.

I'll crack the 1783 tomorrow.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tried Knob Creek tonight because of this thread. It is rather enjoyable, also picked up a Weller green label and a Dickel 12. I’ve had the Dickel before so it is a sure bet.

CK
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Tried Knob Creek tonight because of this thread. It is rather enjoyable, also picked up a Weller green label and a Dickel 12. I’ve had the Dickel before so it is a sure bet.

Knob creek was my go-to for many, many years. Dickel comes to hunting camp in GA, ever since the locals introduced us. It does kinda have its charms.

FC

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Blanton's Single Barrel
EH Taylor Jr. Small Batch
Eagle Rare 10
WL Weller Special Reserve

All on the shelf here...and pretty cheap...

The only one of those that you might be able to get for under $30 is Eagle Rare, but not where I live. It's closer to $40 here. All the others are more $ and Blanton's and WL Weller SR are both being allocated and are in short supply. I won't buy allocated or any whiskey going for more that MSRP. That leaves out many of the Buffalo Trace whiskies. I've had all of them and they are not special. There are many more available and less expensive whiskey out there that I actually prefer.

Dude,

I'm listing them for what we SELL them for...

We BUY them for much less...

ER is $26 here ON THE SHELF
BLANTONS $48
EHTSB $36
WSR $29

And Yes, the BT whiskies ARE special if you are in the hospitality business as we are...sorry your taste/mileage varies from that of our thousands of customers..

Are you a purveyor? If so you need to call BT cuz you're getting fv(ed..

Gotta Love NY...and NYers...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by woodson
WT101 is one I’ll continue to stock. Evan Williams, IMO, is suitable as a mixer for sure.
Evan Williams might be good to keep around for in-laws or other undesirables you don't want showing back up, but only if you don't have access to that Jesse James varnish-shixt. Flying fook...try some f u cking Old Crow. Palatable.

Wanting Ethan Edwards to weigh in with his recommendation for a reasonable priced bourbon. Old Crow?
Have to confess I like Evan Black and Single Barrel.
Old Crow is drinkable, but it's last resort type stuff. WT, as I said is probably a best buy. Bulleit is good but not enough better than WT to justify the price. Henry McKenna is reasonably priced, as is George Dickel. WT is just as good, if not better. WT is pretty cheap if bought at Sam's Club in the jug. Weller's and Buffalo Trace are okay. Most of the stuff mentioned isn't as cheap as WT if bought as I specified. I have no idea if you can beat or equal the price at liquor stores because I'm usually after better stuff if I bother going to one. $32.95 for WT, IIRC. It used to be substantially cheaper too. I mentioned this several years back and later noted people on here who hate my guts quietly switching over to it as their favorite, usually from Buffalo Trace. BT does have a cooler label though. lol

For Rye you just cannot beat Rendezvous Rye by High West. It is of moderate price though and not the answer to the OP's question. Rebecca Creek for a moderately priced American Whiskey.

IMO Evan Williams, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are all swill.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very Old Barton

Never see it mentioned but it is the real deal.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like clear stuff in a mason jar that was run real slow......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Today I've sampled: Yellowstone Select, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Small Batch Select and Knob Creek Rye. The winner of the day is: Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, tho Rare Breed and the Knob Creek Rye were all very worthy. Today was a good day!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s a distillery in Breckinridge and they make pretty darn good bourbon. They make one in particular that’s been finished in port wine casks. It’s pretty tasty.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yesterday I got into the 1783.

Much preferable to the OGD. Some nice things going on in the bouquet, and noticeable carmel & vanilla in the mouth - for a little while, anyway. Quite smooth, generally, with a clean finish.

I'd call it a good cut above Beam & ET, but given how it's $20, and those two sell for $11 around here, it oughta be.

Still, since I can spend another $13 for the Russells' Reserve, I'll continue to roll that way. Y'know... after I finish these 2...

FC

- Mrs. FC
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Old Crow for mix....Elijah Craig for drinking....both come at a fair price.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Very Old Barton

Never see it mentioned but it is the real deal.

I finally found some. I finally stopped @ The Party Source on a run into KY this week and bought some. I got the 80 rather than the 86 proof.

It's... not objectionable. It's smooth, to the point that there's almost no bouquet, nor flavor, nor bark, nor bite. But it was definitely inexpensive.

An employee made a big deal out of asking everyone if they needed help, so I asked him what else in their joint gave the same kind of bouquet/flavor/smoothness as Russell's Reserve anywhere near its price point. He quickly replied that there were no others. I'm grateful I can afford the $28 they want for it.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Bulleit quite well. If I’m gonna spend a bit more, I’ll get Knobb Creek Single Barrel Reserve. It is my favorite bourbon of all.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like Basil Hayden, I generally buy it on sale at under $30 a bottle.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just tapped a new bottle of Russel reserve. This batch 116 proof smooth and heavy on the vanilla. Cork going back in to save till I retire or the world. WT and other Russel whiskeys generally good but once in a while a batch is really, really good.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Agree but hard to find here so I sub Evan Williams at $25/1.75.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I just opened this bottle and it is exceptional. Not cheap at $30 but not stupid expensive either.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 264mag, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 37 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.