Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WT 101

Yup.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try the 12 year old Dickel. Go to drink at hunt camp.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by travelingman1

Have had the 11 year?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A lot of good recommendations here, and if you can find $26 bottles of Eagle Rare where you are I say thats your winner... Where I am its more like $38, so it doesn't make the OPs cut.

For cheap whiskey I like Fighting Cock - $16 for a fifth locally, more caramel than vanilla, some real nice barrel spice and sometimes I get a little fruit like apricot or plum, 103 proof. Not a big distiller sub-brand - made in Bardstown by Fighting Cock distillery.

EW BiB is pretty decent cheap stuff too IMO. Swinging by the store to grab some 101 tomorrow.

And yeah, a Whiskey forum here would be appreciated!

Last edited by kragman1; 10/09/20.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
WT101 is probably the most under rated bourbon of all time. A very solid basic bourbon. Evan Williams bottled in bond is a great value. Heaven Hill 6 year green label at $12 a bottle is probably the best cheap bourbon out there but unsure if you can get it outside of KY.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WT 101. I'm getting on the outside of some right now!

Harry
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just poured a nip of Fighting Cock - better than I remember it although this one is a little more "tangy sweet" than usual. The caramel is sitting a little under the rest of it.

Maybe I need 2....

And I just found out - Heaven Hill owns them.

Last edited by kragman1; 10/09/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM

Have had the 11 year?

Mine is definitely 12 year. Good stuff.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Online Content
On the rocks

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
And High West Double Rye deserves a recommendation.

Always under $30, always really good. May require a little time in a bottle thats been opened a few.times to be at its best.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Today I've sampled: Yellowstone Select, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Small Batch Select and Knob Creek Rye. The winner of the day is: Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, tho Rare Breed and the Knob Creek Rye were all very worthy. Today was a good day!

Knob Creek Rye is some good schitt.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
I like Bulleit quite well. If I’m gonna spend a bit more, I’ll get Knobb Creek Single Barrel Reserve. It is my favorite bourbon of all.

Plus 1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll say one thing for Evan Williams taste...it's about as good coming back up as it was going down.

Henry McKenna is pretty good and not badly priced.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've mentioned before that some of the best whiskey I ever tasted was McKendrick made IIRC, in Abilene, TX. Sadly, it was discontinued some years back. It was very inexpensive also. Rebecca Creek tastes suspiciously like it and it would not surprise me if it was the same whiskey. Sadly, Rebecca Creek nudges up into the "expensive" category whereas its predecessor was not a lot more costly than Old Crow.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For a bourbon I like 4Roses. If you like Irish Whisky you might try some Tullamore Dew Cider Cask.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'll say one thing for Evan Williams taste...it's about as good coming back up as it was going down.

Henry McKenna is pretty good and not badly priced.

+1 on the Evan Williams. I read several recommendations for it, so a few months ago I scored a jug of it bottled in bond. I was looking forward to a fine treat. Well...I finally drank it all. It was too good to pour out, and I won't refuse to drink it again, but I ain't paying for any more of it. Just didn't work for me.

Never tried any Henry McKenna. It is one on my try list. It was "Skeeter" Skelton's favorite whiskey and I figure if his taste in whiskey was near as good as his writing and his appreciating of good handguns, it should be good stuff. I shall see, but I have a jug of Weller Reserve and Buffalo Trace to finish off first. Might take a while as I don't drink that often.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by EdM

Have had the 11 year?

12 YR. Dickle is darn good Tennessee whiskey. Dickle 12 year also is what I use when making my bread pudding sauce. Excellent! Everybody wants seconds and many ask for the recipe. I once served it at a church dinner (with pastor's permission). We were a spirit filled congregation.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Buffalo Trace

a HUGE +1

Unless you're in Texas, then its Rebecca Creek

Have to agree....Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon for the money and it's all about location. Whenever I visit my Kid's, I always bring back a couple bottles from their area as it's $26 a bottle compared to $50 here.....IF you can even find it!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by mart
For a bourbon I like 4Roses. If you like Irish Whisky you might try some Tullamore Dew Cider Cask.

While traveling through Kentucky in 2018, I stopped at the Four Roses distillery and took a tour and a tasting. Bought a bottle of the single barrel bourbon. Very good bourbon.

I haven't had any Tullamore Dew in a while, but I have enjoyed it in the past. In fact, I preferred it over Jameson. I've not heard of this Cider Cask version. May have to put it on the to try list. I have a lot on my to try list. Hope I live long enough to get around to them all. Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by EdM

Have had the 11 year?

Dickel #12 is not an age stated whiskey. The 12 on the label is not an age statement, it's the name of the whiskey. Same for their No 8. The only Dickel standard release whiskey that currently has an age statement is their Bottled in Bond, which is 11 year old. A previous release of the the Dickel Bottled in Bond had a 13 yr age statement. I bought a bottle of Dickel No 12 last year and I got the mineral, chewable vitamin (Flintstone vitamin) note big time and didn't enjoy it. Their rye (which is distilled by MGP) is decent.

The age of Dickel 12 is not known but reviewers have speculated that it's likely a blend of whiskeys from 6-10 years.. By law, if a bourbon has an age statement, it has to be the age of the youngest whiskey blended into a batch. Since many distilleries are using young whiskey in their batches as well as some older barrels, they don't want to put a 4 or 6 year statement on their label. This is why so many have done away with age statements. The No 12 that Dickel puts on their label is meant to confuse the customer into thinking it's an older whiskey than it is.

BTW, Knob Creek is now back to being an age stated whiskey and once again is a 9 yr old whiskey. At it's price point, that is a great value.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1234, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,428
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.