Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
...what resources (if any) would you carry with you in the event you were stopped by an LEO and had to explain your possession of a concealed weopon (having a permit from your home state)?

I have been to the concealed carry web site and seen the states that recognize my states permit. But I am not counting on a rookie LEO that might stop me for whatever reason knowing off hand that his state recognizes my states CCW.

Any suggestions?

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If it were concealed, how would s/he know?

If they did find out, and your permit from the home state was valid and honored in the "visiting state", a call back to his headquarters should verify that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to packing.org, look up the state(s) in question and look up the actual law on reciprocity. Print it out and keep it with you. If you want the Cliff�s Notes, then simply rite the code section on a business card and put it in your wallet, so you can quote the section of law if questioned. Most cops carry a copy of their State Code in their car, so they can look it up. New York warning � The city of New York doesn�t care about the federal �peacable journey� law and will arrest you, confiscate your weapon and prosecute you regardless.

2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"If it were concealed, how would s/he know?"

Been that route before VA, but trying to keep it up and up now. Here, we are obligated to inform an LEO that we have a permit and are healed.

Thanks Kevin. I'll do some printing just to be on the safe side.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Most states have no requirements for notification.

Kevin's suggestion is excellent.

IC B2

2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info guys.
Just left packing.org and printed out the firearms law info for the states that recognize Ca CCW's. I'm surprised how many states will honor it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 2crow
...what resources (if any) would you carry with you in the event you were stopped by an LEO and had to explain your possession of a concealed weopon (having a permit from your home state)?

I have been to the concealed carry web site and seen the states that recognize my states permit. But I am not counting on a rookie LEO that might stop me for whatever reason knowing off hand that his state recognizes my states CCW.

Any suggestions?

One thing to keep in mind is the list of your reciprocity states that dictate you MUST inform any LEO that you are carrying w/permit if you're stopped for any reason.. Make certain you do that or you'll be in trouble no matter what..

Even the rookies are supposed to know the law. If you're legally carrying, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always ask the cop to call or have a supervisor stop by to confirm..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the grand scheme of things, when in a �Shall Issue� state, you can bet the LEO knows the laws and understands Reciprocity�Chances are, this is not an issue he deals with only once a year.

2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm planning to drive right at the speed limmit (more or less) and hope to fly beneath the radar. But with out of state plates and a hot chick in the co-pilot seat and all......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some cars are cop magnets for sure. Story goes here that if you're running Wyoming plates and get stopped in any neighboring states, (SD for one), the officer doesn't ask if you have a gun, they ask how many you have.

I just checked out Packing.org too. I was happy to see that Illinois has come into the present century with some decent exceptions to their FOID law for non-residents just traveling through. That was a pleasant surprise.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Since I got my first car at 16, I've always had a gun in the car/truck. I was also a pretty habitual speeder until about four years ago when my first child was born. I've told countless cops that I had a pistol in the glovebox when they asked for my proof of insurance. I've never had a single one make a big deal out of it, even before I was 21. The worst thing that ever happend was one told me "just don't shoot me with it". If the gun was somewhere that they wouldn't see it,(on me or in the door) I never mentioned it. I never had my car searched or was even asked to get out of the car. Keep in mind that...

1. I live in rural Georgia
2. I'm clean cut
3. Dressed well
4. Wasn't under the influence of anything
5. Don't have a record (Except speeding tickets)
6. Used the work "sir" liberally.

Also figured out that buying light colored vehicles = getting pulled over less. I don't know if I've been pulled over since I got my white Silverado in 2002. Ditto for my wife's grey Camry.

-Adrian

Last edited by adrianrog; 06/06/07.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In Tennessee, when you take your CCW class they give you a booklet specifically to be carried in your glove box. It summerizes TN laws and also list all states that recognize TN CCW permits. It's a handy thing to have and provides an "official" looking document you can show out of state LEOs.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Any suggestions?

2cr..,

What do you mean by 'possession'? Actually wearing it on your person or having it under your control as in a briefcase or glovebox? That can be a huge difference.

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Any suggestions?

I'd be sure to know before hand where my CCL is honored.
I'd prolly talk to the "Rookie LEO", politely of course, and ask him to check if he doesnt believe my CCL is honored by his state. That just helps clear up things without a whole mess.
Nic

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I'm planning to drive right at the speed limmit (more or less) and hope to fly beneath the radar. But with out of state plates and a hot chick in the co-pilot seat and all......

somehow they may not be worried about your guns, I think they'd prolly not even see em laugh laugh laugh LOL

Nic

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What is that site, for carrying in other states? can you please post it! Thanks John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
packing.org

NRA also has some info I believe

I always make sure to drive nicely and not too fast when going through Maryland, minimizing the distance spent there, usualy taking I81.

If I have a gun through "the free state", it will be locked in my truck safe, ammo somewhere else, following federal peaceable journey guidelines. I don't stop til I get out of Maryland, not for gas, not for food, so I limit my risk there. Man I hate Maryland.

Be careful with packing.org for reciprocity - their info is not always the most current lately (for example the PA map doesn't show VA) - so always check the various state websites. For this PDO is a great resource, since each state differes as to which web site you should go to. For example, the VA state police have a lot of info on their site, but for PA you would go to the AG's office, for South Carolina you would go to SLED's site. Packing will point you in the right direction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The U.S. Constitution plainly states that whatever rights and/ or priviledges a citizen has in his own state, he retains in other states. It's sickening how the constitution and bill of rights don't really mean anything anymore. We have to get permission from our "servants" to exercise our rights.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
If it were concealed, how would s/he know?

If they did find out, and your permit from the home state was valid and honored in the "visiting state", a call back to his headquarters should verify that.

Hello
Most states have a Background check as soon as your Vehicle License Plates are run by the Police. They almost always call back and verify whether you have a carry Permit. I Know in my Home State of Tennessee it will say the registered Owner of said vehicle, is permitted, meaning the driver has a carry Permit. The carry Part is not the Issue, the Loaded Part of a Handgun is what Get's sticky when out of State. There are several states where you are free to pass through with a handgun, But it muust be Unloaded and the ammo Locked in a glove box or trunk.I would Do the smart thing, and check the Internet site mentioned to see if it is Legal to carry in other States before planing a Trip out of State. thegeneral

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (2500HD, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,487
Posts18,508,987
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.