Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
20 pages....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nah, 40 at least.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ofelas
Super Snipers?

The top confirmed shots are by the Canucks & Brits these days, but that's a fluid dynamic, given the heftier calibers used.

One hopes that the Army with the newly acquired Combat Competition Hunter reticle on the Leupy will be able to make full use of their existing heavy cals & catch up ;-)

The Marines may have a chance... grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
$2400 markup on the "Combat Competition Hunter reticle" on $100 worth of cams/gears.

Took a gander through this scope a little while back. The "edge to edge clarity" at max mag is a pipe dream at best. I have better glass on $300 70 year old fixed 4x scopes.

Besides, 35mm tubes do not guarantee a repeatable wide adjustment range, except for a couple manufacturers.

Originally Posted by DollarShort
Cool! Don't think I'll be trying one of these out immediately though. $2500 scope might be out of place on my Salvage.

Low speed, high drag
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Glad they chose domestic

GOD Bless America
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
why on earth would you buy this over a nightforce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Because the MK5s are lighter and cost less while performing very well.

I have not shot the 5-25 MK5 but have played with the 3.6-18 MK5 quite a bit.

I much prefer the MK5 to the 4-16 NF ATACR.

That said it still suffers all the problems inherent to FFP reticle placement.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

OMG don't say that, you just kicked an ant pile. don't you know if its not FFP the scope is junk. but lets also remember you used to sell leupold scopes. I would have to test the crap out of it to say if its any good, trust but verify, but right now I don't trust

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

OMG don't say that, you just kicked an ant pile. don't you know if its not FFP the scope is junk. but lets also remember you used to sell leupold scopes. I would have to test the crap out of it to say if its any good, trust but verify, but right now I don't trust

I still sell Leupold scopes so the bias is still worth mentioning.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dang knuckle dragging pipe liner.

Bad enough that you convinced me to use Barnes copper solids all those years back, rather than Partitions.

How ya been, kid? All well with you & yours?

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Super Snipers?

The top confirmed shots are by the Canucks & Brits these days, but that's a fluid dynamic, given the heftier calibers used.

One hopes that the Army with the newly acquired Combat Competition Hunter reticle on the Leupy will be able to make full use of their existing heavy cals & catch up ;-)

Low speed, high drag
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang knuckle dragging pipe liner.

Bad enough that you convinced me to use Barnes copper solids all those years back, rather than Partitions.

How ya been, kid? All well with you & yours?

Super Snipers?

Doing well! Just getting ready to hit the hills chasing Yogi smile

How you been?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I still sell Leupold scopes so the bias is still worth mentioning.

yo john, why don't you post the video of that 1000 something yard coyote kill, I mean how in the actual hell did you shoot that thing with a hunk of junk useless SFP scope. according to the forums here you can't hit the broadside of a barn unless the scope is FFP. you can't shoot it without a new fangled christmas tree FFP reticle, its basically taking a pee into the wind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

yo john, why don't you post the video of that 1000 something yard coyote kill, I mean how in the actual hell did you shoot that thing with a hunk of junk useless SFP scope. according to the forums here you can't hit the broadside of a barn unless the scope is FFP. you can't shoot it without a new fangled christmas tree FFP reticle, its basically taking a pee into the wind.

But then you are going to get mad at me because it was a Leupold scope.

I am in a no win situation. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Quak
Glad they chose domestic

I've had my own issues with Leupo, but hope the guys and gals there have the ship turned around with the Mark 5. I'd love to start supporting the local company again.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Jordan,

I don't know about the US Marines, but a friend within the US military told me regular Army is getting the Mark 5, while special units are still getting the ATACR per another contract. He also said they have a special version with BEAST turrets, that will eventually be available to the consumer market.

One of those special units has a Mark 5 that has had extensive testing, and was deemed good-to-go. According to him, they were impressed by that scope, but still leery since it's a Leupold. Over the years he's told me about the problems they've had with Leupolds. I think one Mark 6 was on display for awhile, as a joke. The turret mechanism came off.

NF and Bushnell are still the most popular scopes on their work and personal rifles. These are not regular .mil guys.

I'm hoping Formi chimes in. Maybe he has more info.

Jason

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I still own a couple of Leupy's but don't dial them much. I do still like 'em though.

When I go hunting whitetails up in the TX Panhandle, sometimes I get to go watch Todd Hodnett & Co shoot, What a treat it is to watch snipers from all over the world shoot under instruction from the best sniper trainer on the planet. For some serious fun on their off days, they come shoot prarie dogs at 1000m, in the ever present Panhandle winds (which is why they train up there in the first place). They don't hit the "dogs on the first shot every time, but that 2nd shot......... Funny thing is that whether they are Canadians, Israelis, Rangers, Seals, or whatever, I've yet to see the first Leupold scope, and I've yet to see the first SFP of any brand.

I've also gotten to see a fella named David Tubb shoot some, as he's on a neighboring ranch as well. As even you two knuckleheads know, he's the most accomplished long range competitive shooter in history, and it's not real close (what, 11-12 Camp Perry's?). Funny thing is, I've yet to see the first Leupold on any of his rifles either, or SFP.

Have at it though, as it doesn't matter to me one iota what a guy uses, and I'm sure you two boys know more than Hodnett and Co, and David Tubb.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/19/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

yeah well, I can give you crap about leupold, but make no mistake there is no substitute for experience on public lands and practical long range hunting, vs half the wanna bees who tote a 20# chassis gun, 100 yards from their truck to shoot off a fake barricade at their local gun range. there is you, huskemaw and g7, which are the only guys who really tried to sell purpose built long range hunting scopes. none of them were ever FFP. Sadly the market isn't really there either for them its all about looking the part of a seal team 6 operator. with a 3 pound 40 mm tube scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Jordan,

I don't know about the US Marines, but a friend within the US military told me regular Army is getting the Mark 5, while special units are still getting the ATACR per another contract. He also said they have a special version with BEAST turrets, that will eventually be available to the consumer market.

One of those special units has a Mark 5 that has had extensive testing, and was deemed good-to-go. According to him, they were impressed by that scope, but still leery since it's a Leupold. Over the years he's told me about the problems they've had with Leupolds. I think one Mark 6 was on display for awhile, as a joke. The turret mechanism came off.

NF and Bushnell are still the most popular scopes on their work and personal rifles. These are not regular .mil guys.

Jason

The MK6 was literally designed under SMU weight and length restrictions.

Had to be short enough for clip on IR/NV units.

Leupold was the only manufacturer that could meet the spec.

MK6 is a complicated build.

Formey chiming in would be 24hr Gold. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Jordan,

Jason

The MK6 was literally designed under SMU weight and length restrictions.

Had to be short enough for clip on IR/NV units.

Leupold was the only manufacturer that could meet the spec.

MK6 is a complicated build.

Formey chiming in would be 24hr Gold. laugh

burns, and cummins, AKA real western hunters vs the FFP crowd. john, show us some video of the mules, ya know mule guys and horse guys aren't supposed to like one another. maybe we should argue about that. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[

I've also gotten to see a fella named David Tubb shoot some, as he's on a neighboring ranch as well. As even you two knuckleheads know, he's the most accomplished long range competitive shooter in history, and it's not real close (what, 11-12 Camp Perry's?). Funny thing is, I've yet to see the first Leupold on any of his rifles either, or SFP.

You are pretty dumb.

Tubb literally only sells Leupold scopes with his goofy reticle.

How is it possible to be so wrong?

http://www.davidtubb.com/dtr-scopes

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,307
Posts18,487,152
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.