Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
anyone have one? good the bad the ugly? Looking to get one. Not going to be a high use rifle. How does it compare toTikka?

HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had two. I think they're the best bargain rifle on the market. Same trigger and barrel as a M70 (minus the barrel finish), the coating is durable, the float jobs were good, and the teflon bolt is actually pretty decent for a $300 on sale rifle. Both were 1 inch guns at 100 with factory ammo (6.5 and 708). Stock better than budget Remington and Weatherby guns I've shot. Not fancy or super lite, but fine. Buy with confidence.

Note: my sole complaint is the polymer mag and trigger guard... they're no worse than others, I just prefer metal.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Seem to be a little nicer then Ruger American. They will probably shoot at or under MOA.

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thinking of one in 325 wsm for elk. Need a bolt synthetic. Just want a gun for the job

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Thinking of one in 325 wsm for elk. Need a bolt synthetic. Just want a gun for the job

It's an effective recoil pad. Wouldn't hesitate on 325. Though now I'm curious why 325 over 300 or 338? (Not in a negative way just wondering.)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not much of a Winchester 70 guy (though I do like their feel and look), as I just haven't had a lot of luck with their accuracy and reliability in general. I'd still take one over a Tikka though. I've grown to be picky I guess.

For what you're wanting it for, I couldn't imagine a stock XPR not working just fine.

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I made a mistake and bought one. By far and away, the most inaccurate NIB rifle I have encountered. I sent it back to Winchester’s Repair Facility and they dressed up the crown, which marginally improved its accuracy. However, it is still a dog. CP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'm not much of a Winchester 70 guy (though I do like their feel and look), as I just haven't had a lot of luck with their accuracy and reliability in general. I'd still take one over a Tikka though. I've grown to be picky I guess.

For what you're wanting it for, I couldn't imagine a stock XPR not working just fine.

What's being discussed here is most certainly not a Model 70.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by T_Inman

What's being discussed here is most certainly not a Model 70.

Whoops...you're right!

I had the XTR on my mind....Sorry about that SLDUCK.

I've got zero experience with the XPR.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like what I see looking at them in stores, but can't think of a single reason to choose 325. The round is all but dead and 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weights to the same muzzle velocity in the real world. Can't pay much attention to factory ballistics charts. No animal will ever notice the .017" larger bullet and the 30 caliber bullets will hit harder, penetrate deeper, and shoot flatter downrange.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
325wsm a great cartridge. There are many for sale on the internet at greatly reduced prices. Much better firearms than the XPR. I own two and love them. You would be well served to
search the internet and find a better made 325 for a little more money.

Last edited by Vinootz; 04/18/20. Reason: Types
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I own an XPR in 350 Legend.

It has reasonably good accuracy....load not developed yet. Shot some groups about an inch....then a 0.64” 3 shot, the some worse like 1.6-2.0” during load development.....ran out of powder.

Barrel is a nice weight. Crown looks good. I wish it were 20”!

Action came rough as a cob. I did some polishing of the cocking cam. Greased and operated the bolt a bunch....I think I even coated with JB’s to nock some edges off. Now, it is reasonably smooth and cocks reasonably well. This is no model 70.

Trigger...The housing is machined as part of the action. It has the MOA parts. IMO, the MOA trigger is a good stock trigger. 3.5 lbs and crisp. It won’t go lighter without being unsafe. This is the best part of the whole thing.

Stock....Basically POS Tupperware. I don’t mind it too much, but lop is too short. I like 14”. Winchester 70’s are normally 13.75”. This is like 13.5”.

Finish.....they have a nice durable brown coat on the barrel....cerakote or similar. The stock has a nice camo finish. No idea if it is durable. It is cool. I like it.

Overall, I like this rifle as the OH deer rifle that it is. It is not fancy. It is not long range. It really is not suitable fit wise for serious shooting or over 200 yd hunting shots, IMO, but still a decent rifle. I need to shoot it more.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I picked up a 243 to help a youngster from church get started in hunting. Put a Vortex Diamondback on it and went to the range.
It shot 1" with Core Lockt and 3/4" groups with Federal Fusion ammo.

I don't know if I should say this on this forum but it outshoots my Tikka 243 handsdown.... I have about $450 in it.
He took a doe at 205 yds on the last day of the season.

I'm impressed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Vinootz
325wsm a great cartridge. There are many for sale on the internet at greatly reduced prices. Much better firearms than the XPR. I own two and love them. You would be well served to
search the internet and find a better made 325 for a little more money.

I like 300 WSM and have high praise for the round...

It's nearly as good as the 30-06

High praise indeed...

I like 8mm as well but the bullet manufacturers don't seem to share my enthusiasm.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
I like what I see looking at them in stores, but can't think of a single reason to choose 325.

Apparently you're not alone in the thought. Sales flopped everywhere and good luck trying to sell it down the road.

If one just HAD to have one to support their gun loony-ness, they'd best buy a lifetime's supply of brass before buying the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
I've had two. I think they're the best bargain rifle on the market. Same trigger and barrel as a M70 (minus the barrel finish), the coating is durable, the float jobs were good, and the teflon bolt is actually pretty decent for a $300 on sale rifle. Both were 1 inch guns at 100 with factory ammo (6.5 and 708). Stock better than budget Remington and Weatherby guns I've shot. Not fancy or super lite, but fine. Buy with confidence.

Note: my sole complaint is the polymer mag and trigger guard... they're no worse than others, I just prefer metal.

I've not owned or shot one, but this is my impression of the ones I've handled, maybe the best overall budget rifle. It feels well put together. Not a lightweight though.

Last edited by AB2506; 04/23/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
never had a 325 , but think it needs 220 gr or heavier bullets to reach its potential

I wouldnt worry about brass , 300 wsm would be easily necked up

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder how the XPRs are selling. For that matter, I wonder how the new M70's are selling. At one time Winchester was the market leader. Doesn't appear that way now.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by southtexas
I wonder how the XPRs are selling. For that matter, I wonder how the new M70's are selling. At one time Winchester was the market leader. Doesn't appear that way now.

I don't know what % of overall M70 and XPR sales are online, but this past year, there were times when M70 FWs in popular calibers were wiped out online and when XPRs in popular stock patterns (Kuiu, etc) were wiped out, too. The stainless FWs in 6.5cm were near impossible to find for a while.

Generally, I think a lot of folks are looking to spend $300-400 now and want synthetic stocks (Predator, Axis, etc). The M70 all-weathers are obviously way more expensive, but seem to sell well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
winchester shows the xpr available in 6.5 prc , but I cant find anyplace online that actually has one in stock....

lots of the more common calibers out of stock too

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 04/23/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.