Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve got an older shotgun I’d like to use for turkey hunting and would like to change the gloss blue on the metal to a matte finish that looks decent and is pretty durable. This doesn’t have to be perfect finish but I’d like it to be nice and durable without being too pricey. Any suggestions?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Easiest and cheapest would Rustoleum in a rattle can. They have what they call "Dead Flat Clear". Remove the gun from the stock, degrease, and spray it on. Easy to touch up if you want and pretty easy to remove down the road. I have used it and it works as advertised.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-clear-topcoat/

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eek Should not be too expensive to have bead blasted and caustic blued/. Or grit blasted and parkerized. The time consuming part is the polishing to get that bright finish. Would look a helluvalot better than the lawn furniture paint job.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What about gunkote/cerakote?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Possibly another option would be hydrographics...

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You did not say double or single bbl. I am assuming single, but..

Have it beaded and Parkerized. When it comes back, heat it up very warm to the touch and give it a good application(s) of Eezox or Corrosion X - and keep that treatment going into the future. Be sure to specify and get a fine grade of grit used - as in texture. Some places use coarse stuff.

If I ever get my LCSmith restocked, that's what I'm doing - and I have tanks and salts, tho not set up. Yet, if ever again. Hot salts are generally not good for doubles. It can be too much heat for the solder, especially on older guns. If blued, have it "rust blued".

Another (cheaper) option would be to have it beaded, then do it yourself with Brownell's Oxphoblue, either cold, or as above heated to very warm touch. When you get the finish you want, again hit it with the Eezox or Corrosion X. That won't be as durable as hot salts or Parkerizing, but is readily re-done as needed.

No experience here with other coatings- except paint on a stainless rifle bbl once. It is back to stainless.

Last edited by las; 04/27/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to me someone makes a camo tape for just this very purpose.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Seems to me someone makes a camo tape for just this very purpose.

That is the right answer.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Camo 'duck' tape? eek

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,477
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.