Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Has anyone in the muzzle loading community put a scope on a
Thompson Center .50cal. Hawken rifle.
I have an earlier model that does not have the barrel tapped
for a scope mount.
Does someone make an aftermarket scope mount?
Thanks, Joe

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=vferguson3006]Has anyone in the muzzle loading community put a scope on a
Thompson Center .50cal. Hawken rifle.
I have an earlier model that does not have the barrel tapped
for a scope mount.
Does someone make an aftermarket scope mount?
I don't know of any that don't require drilling and tapping.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One I recently restored had see-thru’s on it, so can be done easily if drilled and tapped. To me, they look out of place. I’d be happy to mail them to you if you’d like. They might be buggered a little bit as I had to drill the mount screws to get the dam things off.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
No, I have tried see-thru on centerfires, they suck, you are right totally awkward.
I don't want to drill and tap this barrel, my eyes are somewhat shot at 73yrs. the rest of me
gets up and goes with little problem. Maybe someone makes fiber optics that fit
this model.

Joe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you have a 3 screw tang , I would and do use a good tang sight. my eyes are old but I can still shoot peeps pretty good.
I don't know of any type of after market setup for scoping a Hawken. D&T seems the only way to scope.
I have a Cabela's stainless Hawken that is d&ted for a p rail. my other Hawkens are not D&Ted so I just stay with a Peep for continuity.
Going bear hunting with one this weekend.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by vferguson3006
No, I have tried see-thru on centerfires, they suck, you are right totally awkward.
I don't want to drill and tap this barrel, my eyes are somewhat shot at 73yrs. the rest of me
this model.

Joe

I have a set of offset scope mounts for an octagonal barrel, but you have to d&t 4 holes. No way around it. It's a traditions performance firearms mount, no longer made. A Lyman SML57 peep should fit, require 1 hole in the tang, and be a darn sight better than the original.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Several of my family members bought Hawkens and Renegades when Tennessee started a muzzleloading deer season. Almost all had the barrel drilled and tapped for scopes. Some used see-thru rings and others opted for standard rings. The ones with standard rings had to bend the ear on the hammer to clear the scope bell. I put a pistol scope on mine instead and used the rear sight screws to mount the base, so no extra holes had to be drilled. Recently I replaced the pistol scope with a peep sight that mounted on the rear sight screw holes. I like it, but haven't had it to the range yet with the Covid shutdown.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
this model.

Joe

I had some TC fiber optic sights on mine for 1 range session and took them off.

The front sight glowed so much it was hard to shoot anything smaller than a 5-6" group at 50 yards.

I went back to the originals and now I just make sure to keep the front brass bead polished up w steel wool.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one with leupold quick detach rings. I think that is easiest way for cleaning. It sits up high to clear the cock/flashpan.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
this model.

Joe

The front sight glowed so much it was hard to shoot anything smaller than a 5-6" group at 50 yards.

I went back to the originals and now I just make sure to keep the front brass bead polished up w steel wool.

Same problem with red fiber optics. Green is better, but I don't like them at all for any kind of precision. For all intents and purposes, they are plenty good for deer out to 75 or so. Shot one at 110 this year. Worked well enough.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I put fiber optic sights on mine years ago. They've worked very well for me, are a huge improvement over the originals as far as visibility in low light and I've killed several deer with them. As for precision, not much is needed to kill deer within the effective range of my Hawken and my preferred load using patched balls. My longest shot on a deer with it was 80 yards and the sights worked fine for that. I can shoot inch and a half groups at 60 yards with the setup.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You can mount a long eye relief scout type scope to the factory sight holes. T/C sold a base for their Lobo scope with the rail on the bottom. Leupold also sold a base (#31606) that I think fit the sight holes. You can find them on ebay. You could also buy a piece of flat bottom Weaver rail and drill to match the sight holes.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
this model.

Joe

Same problem with red fiber optics. Green is better, but I don't like them at all for any kind of precision. For all intents and purposes, they are plenty good for deer out to 75 or so. Shot one at 110 this year. Worked well enough.

Glad I'm not the only one that has that trouble.

Willams makes a barrel sight set that uses the existing holes and front dovetail. I used that, but replaced the open blade with a peep blade, and used a Skinner blade on the front end. The improvement for my old eyes over the issue sights is significant.

If only a scope will make you happy, one of the economy TCs or maybe some others will be easier and not all that much more expensive than the price of drilling and tapping, plus the end result will be better, especially if sabots may be in your plans at some time. The Impact I picked up for my son's elk hunt last year is light, accurate, and has a good trigger. $300 for a camo Weathershield model.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/17/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pedersoli adjustable lollipop aperture. It slides in a steel sleeve in the stock, and it can be removed. Current barrel sight is a fold down marbles sight, so it can be folded or co witnessed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by benchman
this model.

Joe

Glad I'm not the only one that has that trouble.

Willams makes a barrel sight set that uses the existing holes and front dovetail. I used that, but replaced the open blade with a peep blade, and used a Skinner blade on the front end. The improvement for my old eyes over the issue sights is significant.

If only a scope will make you happy, one of the economy TCs or maybe some others will be easier and not all that much more expensive than the price of drilling and tapping, plus the end result will be better, especially if sabots may be in your plans at some time. The Impact I picked up for my son's elk hunt last year is light, accurate, and has a good trigger. $300 for a camo Weathershield model.

Can you shoot me a pic of your front blade Pappy?

I have a set of Williams Firesights on my turkey gun and have the ghost ring rear, really like how it works.

Hadn't thought about the Williams on the rear.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/19/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.