Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking on a Ruger MK IV lite, and am thinking I'd like to put a red dot sight on it.

Anyone have a similar setup?

What brands are good?

Thanks!

Virgil B.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burris Fast Fire 3

C more

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a Burris FF3 on my Ruger Flattop .44 spcl moved from the Browning Buckmark. A Vortex Venom is now on the Buckmark. Between the two I probably prefer the FF3. The choice between the two just comes down to small differences and personal preference. Pretty much same/same as for performance.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm running a Sig Romeo 4 on mine and love it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C-More for me.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
JPoint on mine

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good feedback!

For the money, which one works works out best?

Don't want to scrimp on quality to save a few bucks, but don't want to spend more than needed.

Have read about Vortex. Are they as good as claimed?

Thanks!

Virgil B.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Vbshootinrange: I am NOT embarrassed to say (well on second thought I am a little embarrassed!) that I have several of the very "affordable" (cheap!) "TRU-GLO" Red Dot sights on four different heavy barrel Ruger MK-III's and MK-IV's and a couple of Browning heavy barrel BuckMarks.
They allow me to shoot up a storm and remain "sighted in" from year to year and greatly aid my "long range" pistoling (50 to 100 yards).
I like them and the first one I bought about 7 years ago IIRC cost me $34.00 - the last one I bought and mounted on a Ruger MK-IV cost $53.00 (I still have the tagged bubble wrap package for it).
These red dots by TRU-GLO certainly help my aging eyes attain and hold sight alignment.
I wish I could give you a model number but they don't seem to have one?
I will add theses words and numbers from the latest packaging: RED-DOT - Open red dot series - Dual color - 34x24mm Objective Lens.
I must add that these are now made in china (pronounced CHEE-naw!).
Anyway tighten and loc-tite the mounting screws and you will more than likely be good to go.
One of my early attempts with these the mounting screws "vibrated" loose from the repeated firings I invoked shooting Ground Squirrels with it.
I wanted to buy the "Leupold" red dot type site when I first decided to try a "red-dot pistol sight" but the Leupold model was 10 (ten!) times more expensive than the TRU-GLO, at that time.
Anyway this one venture into red-dot optics was very successful for me and I have a bunch of these TRU-GLO's now - and am happy as a clam with these.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose and I hope they help you as much as they have helped me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I put a refurbed Vortex on mine and it's been great. I bought it from these guys for $120 IIRC. They don't have them now but signup and they will let you know.

https://aaoptics.com/Red-Dots-Accessories_c_118.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a Burris Fast Fire III on my Ruger Mark III. Love it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have Vortex Razors on two Mark IIIs. One of the Mark IIIs is a lite model. The other a fluted barrel version. I also three Mark IIs, Two other Mark IIIs and one Mark IV

Here is a link for the red dot.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-razor-red-dot-reflex-sight.html

If you get a Mark IV lite, do install this package. This is a Volquartsen product but is less money from Tandemkross. It will make a night and day difference.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Volquartsen-Accurizing-Kit-Ruger%C2%AE-MKIV%E2%84%A2-2245%E2%84%A2_p_480.html

The seer and bushing links. If you don't to spend the bucks for the above parts kit.....then just do the seer and the bushing which eliminates the magazine safety disconnect.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Hammer-Bushing-for-Ruger%C2%AE-Mark-III%E2%84%A2-and-2245%E2%84%A2-Pistols_p_9.html

https://www.tandemkross.com/Volquartsen-Firearms-Target-Sear-for-Ruger-MKII%E2%84%A2-MKIII%E2%84%A2-MKIII%E2%84%A2-2245%E2%84%A2_p_267.html

And if do add a red dot, this is a perfect holster for field carry. I have their blackdog holster for field carry with a red dot, but I like this holster far better.

https://www.tandemkross.com/SideSlingerScopedLeatherHolsterMKSeries

Last edited by Lennie; 04/20/20.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of GREAT information guys!

Was wondering about a holster, and that was answered without even asking!

Thanks!

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Who needs a stinking holster ?.....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Vbshootingrange: I no longer carry any of my MANY dozens of pistols in leather holsters - haven't for years and won't ever again.
I use "frictionsless" and "abrasiveless" means of carry for my recreation and Varminting pistols.
My heavy barrel pistols with the "red-dot" sights are carried in "handled" gun rugs and wrapped in Pro-Shot untreated gun rags - this makes for complete finish protection and damage protection supreme.
I prefer the Uncle Mikes handled rectangle shaped pistol rugs - I also carry an extra battery for the optic in each pistol rug.
No quick draws from this but it is the ultimate in protection of my pistols and their values.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Varmintguy;

Not really understanding which model of Tru-Glo red dot sight you are getting?

Is a 'tube" like a small rifle scope, or a little screen similar in shape to a TV screen?

My 'puter skills are somewhat lacking, but I was able to pull up some pictures

The price of around $50. sounds like a good place to start, to see IF I like this set-up.

Thanks!

Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I've got a Burris Fast Fire III on my Ruger Mark III. Love it.

^^^ those are my favorite 👍

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Who needs a stinking holster ?.....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Looks like you don't. lol. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my MKII Ruger for several years and it has worked perfectly. Have used the pistol for Silhouette, then Bullseye, now it's used for rimfire bowling pins mostly. The only complaint I have is the screen gets dirty form oil and blowback. I'm using the mount that fits in the rear sight dovetail, putting the screen behind the ejection port. My MKII isn't drilled and tapped like the MKIV is. You probably won't have that with the mounts available for it. Lots of choices out there the Burris was mine.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Vbshootinrange: That is EXACTLY where I was 7+ years ago - try one for the first time and see if I like it!
And I did.
Damn i was just in the gunshop today where I have bought all my TRU-GLO red dot sights and they did not have any. I need one more myself.
It is indeed like the small rounded top TV screen - I will try to do a computer search and see if I can find the type/style I have and LIKE!
I mean the dinks at TRU-GLO should have a clearly defined model number on their packaging - but they don't!
I'll get back at you when I find a link for one.
I have put, literally, thousands of rounds down range from my TRU-GLO affixed pistols and nary a complaint.
More later - I hope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Vbshootingrange: It is very similar to this unit: https://www.truglo.com/optics-red-d...p?catid=52E3D7409570433EBF69FA2CBEB51CA6

Hope that comes through for you.
Hold into the wind
varmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.