Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
I get the fascination with high BC heavy bullets for long range shooting. I get the attraction of smaller cartridges with less recoil. What I don’t get is when a guy uses a rifle for hunting, hunts an area where shots are under 500 yards and sometimes well under that, he feels the need to go to a smaller bore for less recoil and still wants high BC bullets. What is wrong with a .308 with a 130 or even 110 TTSX, or a 125 NBT or Accubond? The larger bore gets more velocity for the weight of the bullet, and thus should shoot flatter and hit harder inside 4-500 yards. Recoil is reduced, trajectory is flattened, and energy is increased.

So why sell a 308 to get a 243 or similar? Why not simply load lightweight bullets in the 308 and roll on? Asking this mostly out of simple curiosity after hearing guys at the LGS trading into smaller bore rifles to get higher BC and less recoil, here where a shot over 300 yards is a rarity. Is there.a good reason for this, or is it just loonyism?

I enjoy the Fact,that you aren't "playing" Dumb. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Rather than extoll Retardation as a whole,simply pinpoint it and cite your "beloved" 308 Win load which "enthralls" you so. Rifle/scope/mount particulars are germane too,despite your inability to understand that as well. Hint.

If only to your chagrin,mechanical attributes copiously supplied by Facts and Physics,needn't your "blessing". Stupidity isn't a "fad",but rather a Plight and them differences are stark. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I get the fascination with high BC heavy bullets for long range shooting. I get the attraction of smaller cartridges with less recoil. What I don’t get is when a guy uses a rifle for hunting, hunts an area where shots are under 500 yards and sometimes well under that, he feels the need to go to a smaller bore for less recoil and still wants high BC bullets. What is wrong with a .308 with a 130 or even 110 TTSX, or a 125 NBT or Accubond? The larger bore gets more velocity for the weight of the bullet, and thus should shoot flatter and hit harder inside 4-500 yards. Recoil is reduced, trajectory is flattened, and energy is increased.

So why sell a 308 to get a 243 or similar? Why not simply load lightweight bullets in the 308 and roll on? Asking this mostly out of simple curiosity after hearing guys at the LGS trading into smaller bore rifles to get higher BC and less recoil, here where a shot over 300 yards is a rarity. Is there.a good reason for this, or is it just loonyism?

Yeah, people that just want to use heavy bullets, in the 308, are just plain loco:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I were going to just shoot heavy bullets, I'd buy a 243 and shoot 100gr partitions in it or buy a 30-06 and shoot 200gr partitions. Wait, maybe it's the people that shoot 308's that are just loco...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If only in fairness,projectile "weight" is moot. Hint. Congratulations?!?

To quantify same,SD is a factor shared by ALL projectiles,of a like weight and diameter and their designators are simply identical due that Dumbfhuqktitude. ZERO correlation is spent upon projectile integrity or it's aeroform. Hint.

My "problem" is,that I simply shoot it all and then some.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A guy may hunt at 200 yards but who says all his shots are at 200 yards?

I don't understand this idea by some that you either shoot fur OR paper with a rifle. BOTH never seems to enter the mind.

I like shooting. Jan - Oct it may be variable and extended distances. Nov it's in the swamp for deer and then right back to distance.

Why buy, use, and practice for the short time and ignore the time that's most prevalent?

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Because you aren't "cool" unless you jump on the latest fad and proclaim it as the latest, greatest, best, coolest, bullet/cartridge/rifle combination to ever exist. I shot competitively at long range for years and have killed a pile of game. I thoroughly understand the ballistics, interior, exterior and terminal. But, "cool" and "new" don't impress me none.

I'm just north of you OGW and I don't see a lot of what you mention. but, it's here. Where I hunt 100 yards is a long shot. Kind of amusing to see a young fella all dressed up in his latest camo pattern clothes, face mask, Walker game ear, range finder, 10 X 50 bino's, toting a rifle with a 26 inch bull barrel, sporting a 12 X 36 X 50 scope, sitting in a tree house waiting to shoot a 90 lb. doe at 38 yards. Don't take that wrong, he's having fun and more power to him. What's amusing is that he thinks he needs all that.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker
for me it was combining a SS scope w/ an MQ reticle, a LRF and an accurate 308w rifle w/ ballistic program and a little instruction. Now I want a rifle w/ which I can see my hits through the scope. Who says you can't have it all? Can I kill a wolf at 600 yards w/ a 6 creed and a SS 3-9 HD. I may soon find out. What I do know for sure is that being able to dial range or see it in the scope has added a ton of fun to my shooting. But it will cause you to buy more steel. It does add spice to social distancing

mike r

This makes the the most sense sense to me as far as shooting goes. Being able to spot your shot is a nice, especially when shooting alone.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted elk with a .44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk revolver, a Browning B92 carbine, Marlin in .30-30, .375 .Winchester and .45-70. Effective range increased in that order. I've also used a .257 Roberts, which increased effective range even further.

While short range weapons were fine in the woods, they are far less useful where shot opportunities could be out to as far as I'd be willing to shoot under perfect conditions (600 yards, the limit of my regular practice). For those shots I prefer 7mm RM, .30-06, .300WM or 338WM. They work at close range, too.

I've spent a lot of time in southwest Missouri (Stockton and Springfield area). Lots of places where long shots would be rare but lots of others where they could be common. Kind of depends on whose land you would be hunting and time of year (leaves on the trees or no). Here in Colorado and when we hunt Wyoming for antelope we need to plan for opportunities where you find them, short or long. For me that means planning for the long shot and hoping for a short one.

Nothing wrong with a small caliber with fast high S.D., high B.C. bullets for hunting Missouri. I was shooting my .243 at 600 yards yesterday with 95g SST bullets. They work fine on antelope and, although I would probably switch to a 95g Barnes LRX for whitetail. That would cover anything from 0-500 yards, even for a record Missouri whitetail.

Nothing wrong with a .308/120g TTSX - that's is what Daughter #1 used for elk until she got a .270. In terms of retained velocity and energy, the .308/130 TTSX will do at 600 what the .243/95g LRX will do at 500. The .270 with a 150g ABLR stretches that out to 800-1000 yards depending on whether you look at velocity or energy.

No wrong answers, just personal preference.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two more words--- Herd Mentality
Four more words FOMO---Fear of Missing Out

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Two more words--- Herd Mentality
Four more words FOMO---Fear of Missing Out

^^^^ This ^^^^^

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

There is not a good explanation other than it’s something “new”. The same reason some folks cheat on their spouses when they have someone at home that fulfills every need, want and desire. It’s new. Nothing wrong with the old 308,30-06 270 or 280. In a strong bolt they just get better with new powders and bullets. I like some of the new cartridges and appreciate the designs and the thought behind them. It makes sense. But, keep in mind that it takes thousands of years for animals to evolve and show any appreciable evolutionary changes. I have yet to see any game animal grow a Kevlar vest and make themselves bullet proof.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see those guys with magnum rifles and huge scopes. I grin about it as I kill schitt with a 125gr bullet @ 2,500fps and a 1-4x scope. Sometimes the deer are so close I have to wait for them to move off before I shoot them. smile
My closest kill was at 8 feet. That was a freak, because they usually don't face away from me when they are that close. Some of these deer I could kill with a high-BC ball peen hammer.

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by teal
A guy may hunt at 200 yards but who says all his shots are at 200 yards?

I don't understand this idea by some that you either shoot fur OR paper with a rifle. BOTH never seems to enter the mind.

I like shooting. Jan - Oct it may be variable and extended distances. Nov it's in the swamp for deer and then right back to distance.

Why buy, use, and practice for the short time and ignore the time that's most prevalent?

And this is mostly why I got a 243.

Although the Swede kicks a little more, and rifles are far less available, a 6BR or 6.5x55 may make more sense for a reloader wanting to hammer long range steel a lot in the off-season, since they both tend to have really long barrel life....and maybe a little less bark.

But the popular old 243 is just so much more convenient. And plenty capable of stretching target range far past most folks hunting ranges. All without it feeling like work for extended sessions. And still a capable hunting rifle within it's power range.
Barrel life is relatively short. But still several years for myself, and a lifetime for others.

A 308 shooting long, heavy, wind resistant bullets just isn't as much fun to sit behind for 20 or 30 or 40 rounds in a day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BC is a simplist numerical designator,that melts Whining Clueless Snowflakes,with reckless abandon. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy the fact,that CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards,so eagerly cling to their fhuqking STUPIDITY. I've shot or got every chambering thus far cited and a fhuqk of a lot that have yet to be...they ain't all "equal". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I prefer the 6BR to the 243,mainly because I've multiples of each. No thang to stretch a Baby BR to 1K+++ or whack Beasties with same,while the 243's set on the sidelines. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Was rolling a slow twist rate all day yesterday,if only to cheer up Window Licking Stupid Fhuqks. Hint. Laughing!

Pard was schlepping my 1-7.7" Bart 224 Speedmire with 90gr Beer Cans at 3150fps and their .585 BC,if only to cover all bases. Google as you MUST. Hint. Laughing!

Was timing a tide change this morning and gotta go catch more fish,so you gals be SURE to talk out your asses even more. Hint.

Bless your hearts,for doing the best you can,with what incredibly fhuqking little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Who is that lunatic? Can't spell, can't punctuate, cannot put together a coherent sentence or say something, anything, without resorting to made up profanity and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by sharps4590; 04/19/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
BC is a simplist numerical designator,that melts Whining Clueless Snowflakes,with reckless abandon. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy the fact,that CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards,so eagerly cling to their fhuqking STUPIDITY. I've shot or got every chambering thus far cited and a fhuqk of a lot that have yet to be...they ain't all "equal". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I prefer the 6BR to the 243,mainly because I've multiples of each. No thang to stretch a Baby BR to 1K+++ or whack Beasties with same,while the 243's set on the sidelines. Hint.

Was rolling a slow twist rate all day yesterday,if only to cheer up Window Licking Stupid Fhuqks. Hint. Laughing!

Pard was schlepping my 1-7.7" Bart 224 Speedmire with 90gr Beer Cans at 3150fps and their .585 BC,if only to cover all bases. Google as you MUST. Hint. Laughing!

Was timing a tide change this morning and gotta go catch more fish,so you gals be SURE to talk out your asses even more. Hint.

Bless your hearts,for doing the best you can,with what incredibly fhuqking little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Hint... Your a doushebag...Congratulations! LAUGHING...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Who is that lunatic? Can't spell, can't punctuate, cannot put together a coherent sentence or say something, anything, without resorting to made up profanity and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Apparently he can't hunt either. He seems to need a 1K+++ yard rifle in that heavy Alaskan brush. Coastal southern AK sure isn't hunting antelope on the staked plains.

I guess he smells too bad to get within 600 yards of a stinky, carcass rolling bear.

Last edited by Tyrone; 04/19/20.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
notsosharp,

DO cite any/all words I've used,that are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to follow and I'll dumb things down especially for your Retardation...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Sweetie,your STUPIDITY ain't my fhuqking fault,but you Melting Snowflakes certainly do have VERY Tender Feelers. Mebbe extoll your very WELL founded Insecurities even further and add a few more words to your Vagina Monologue and the "Adventures" of your couchbound kchunt. Mainly because it will be funnier than fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!

Yet another slow morning. I'm thinkin' I'm hip on lazy twist rates and dismal BC's,especially when riding a GFI Kenai. Google all,as you MUST. Hint.

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

JHIZZ,

Didn't mean to horn you up,you Do Nothing Kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that you are hell bent upon obliviuously quantifying,that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!....................

Trybone,

Pardon my simply shooting it all,as you set on the sidelines and plagiarize...you MAGNIFICENTLY Whining Clueless Kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

GREAT time to expound on how besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that also just "happen" to be a Thieving Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint. LAUGHING!

Here's to the uprorious HILARITY,of how very WELL founded your countless Insecurities are too...you "lucky" kchunt. Perhaps mebbe trying removing your kchunt from the couch and "shooting" something other than your mouth and Imagination. Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying and Whining,as that is The Do Nothing Kchunt Trifecta!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Cheer up ladies,I've only (1) rifle to throw together today,as you "hard chargers" set on the bleachers and rattle your Pom-Pom's. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It might could be a 1-14" Swift,but prolly ain't. Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon in advance,the 147's,Alpha brass and all the other constants,you "lucky" kchunts "get" to read about. Google it all,as you MUST. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your hearts for doing your best,with what INCREDIBLY little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks likes sticks took the bait..LAUGHING... WINNING go out and gets some air prolly to late for you... Go tuck you pants inside your shirt wilst you scan google for more fake pics to post on here... WINNING!

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JHIZZ,

It'll only come as a "surprise" to someone as fhuqking STUPID as you,that your Retardation isn't "bait",it's a Plight and the differences are stark...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now in the interest of being "fair",I "only" shoot .224" centerfires in 7,7.5,7.7,8,9,10,12 and 14" RPM...unless you count the one-off 1-16" parallel fluted 22-250AI. Your call. Hint. LAUGHING!

Google as you MUST,because you are doing "GREAT!". Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart for trying,you poor poor(literally) Clueless Fhuqk.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good grief, not only is it a lunatic, it's a foul mouthed imbecile.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 15 invisible), 1,353 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,676
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.