Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone use the larger 50mm tract toric binoculars? Are they any good?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went from Swaro 15's to the Tract 12.5. I have not been disappointed.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I went from Swaro 15's to the Tract 12.5. I have not been disappointed.

I have a pair if Tract 12.5 binoculars and I like them better than my 10X42 Ultrivida

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I do not understand 50mm binos in a 10x magnification. I am not sure what you gain other than bulk and weight, as any sound optic should give you more than adequate light retention with a smaller 42mm objective for normal hunting use. I am able to see well past shooting light with my 10x42 ELs.

I have never tried a 12.5x but assume you definitely need the larger objective for low light conditions. I wish Tract would have brought out a 15x bino instead of the 10x50s. If they do, I will definitely give them a try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I do not understand 50mm binos in a 10x magnification. I am not sure what you gain other than bulk and weight, as any sound optic should give you more than adequate light retention with a smaller 42mm objective for normal hunting use. I am able to see well past shooting light with my 10x42 ELs.
Jesus Christ, 5mm exit pupil diameter vs. a 4.2 mm exit pupil diameter.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Jesus Christ, 5mm exit pupil diameter vs. a 4.2 mm exit pupil diameter.

My thoughts exactly. That's whats got me interested in them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope... I have used larger objective (50/56mm) optics for 40 years and you gain a LOT of brightness in DARKNESS. I have compared them with smaller sets - have you? All binocs work in the light.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 04/19/20.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I completely understand the exit pupil diameter math. However, if good quality optics get you satisfactory light retention well beyond legal shooting light with a 4.2mm exit pupil, then why pay the 19% weight penalty from going to 50mm from 42mm on a 10x bino. I have not looked through any of Tracts binos, and perhaps I am over estimating their 10x42 light retention capability. I somehow doubt that based on what i have seen with their scopes. This is the same arugment as a 3-9×40 scope vs. a 3-9x50.

Some of my hunting spots are in heavy timber and swamps which require binos with good light retention. I also hunt large beanfields and out west where its wide open. I get everything I need with a set of Swaro 10x42 ELs. Having more exit pupil at the expense of heavier optics would not be worth it to me. However, added weight for someone who doesn't walk the miles I do may appreciate a little more brightness after sunset. YMMV.

I can certainly see the benefit of choosing a bino with added weight and larger objective for gains in moving up in magnification if magnification is what's desired.

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 04/19/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I completely understand the exit pupil diameter math. However, if good quality optics get you satisfactory light retention well beyond legal shooting light with a 4.2mm exit pupil, then why pay the 19% weight penalty from going to 50mm from 42mm on a 10x bino. I have not looked through any of Tracts binos, and perhaps I am over estimating their 10x42 light retention capability.
There's a lot to unpack there, but in short, you have your head buried in your ass. There's a 16% increase in exit pupil diameter; i.e., there's no way that a 10x42 is going to provide as much usable light as a 10x50. That's basic physics. Of course your own statement of "I have not looked through any of Tracts 'binos'" pretty well exposes your paper as$h0le argument as nothing. I have both pairs of Tract Toric binoculars -- the 10x42 and the 10x50 -- and --SURPRISE -- the 10x50 is just a LITTLE BIT MORE USEFUL from a brightness standpoint than the 10x42. How useful? Don't know, but it sure as hell offsets the 5.4 ounces of weight you're harping on now. Though I could always perform an objective test like reading grids of numbers and characters at different distances and times of day. Christ, it would be SO MUCH BETTER if people who didn't know about the actual equipment being queried would just STFU. Seriously, you don't have anything to add.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I completely understand the exit pupil diameter math. However, if good quality optics get you satisfactory light retention well beyond legal shooting light with a 4.2mm exit pupil, then why pay the 19% weight penalty from going to 50mm from 42mm on a 10x bino. I have not looked through any of Tracts binos, and perhaps I am over estimating their 10x42 light retention capability.
There's a lot to unpack there, but in short, you have your head buried in your ass. There's a 16% increase in exit pupil diameter; i.e., there's no way that a 10x42 is going to provide as much usable light as a 10x50. That's basic physics. Of course your own statement of "I have not looked through any of Tracts 'binos'" pretty well exposes your paper as$h0le argument as nothing. I have both pairs of Tract Toric binoculars -- the 10x42 and the 10x50 -- and --SURPRISE -- the 10x50 is just a LITTLE BIT MORE USEFUL from a brightness standpoint than the 10x42. How useful? Don't know, but it sure as hell offsets the 5.4 ounces of weight you're harping on now. Though I could always perform an objective test like reading grids of numbers and characters at different distances and times of day. Christ, it would be SO MUCH BETTER if people who didn't know about the actual equipment being queried would just STFU. Seriously, you don't have anything to add.

Hard to see game can be found easier with 10X50's VS 10X42

Last edited by jwp475; 04/19/20.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Hard to see game can be found easier with 10X5p's VS 10X42

Larger objectives bring an increase in resolution, all other thing being equal.

Resolution is what allows one to resolve a sneaky buck from the treeline.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep--along with more light transmission (not "retention").

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Anyone use the larger 50mm tract toric binoculars? Are they any good?
If you can swing it, talk to the Jons at Tract about buying and comparing both side-by-side and return the binocular you don't intend to use. They're fairly accommodating people.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Nice optics.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I’ve no other 12.5 to compare them to but mine are awesome. I may be the only knucklehead that feels this way but if I get five years out of them and the company folds I can deal with that. If I spent 2K plus maybe not. My 8x42 have been awesome for the two years I’ve had them

Last edited by RICKMELEAR; 04/21/20.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
sheesh amazing amount of emotion being displayed over a discussion about binoculars. Wish I had that much energy to get fired up... my experience is that tract makes good stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,432
Posts18,507,574
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.