Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AB2506
Always, always , always get a loader if you only have one tractor. You can't imagine the uses and needs you didn't know you had for a loader until you get one....

Get the loader!

Can’t add to what’s already been stated.

Fear the crabcat.
GB1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
MY J D HAD ALUMIUN REAR AXEL HOUSING NOTHING BUT TROUBLE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MLC
Looking for opinions on buying a new tractor. I have narrowed it down to the John Deere 3043D or the Kubota L3901 both 4WD with the front end loader and both gear shift which is what I want. I got a quote on both of them and they are writhin $200. The John Deere is 43 HP and the Kubota 37.5 HP. I only have 20 acres and bush hog about 8 and grade a couple of roads and do some discing for a garden. Both are offering 0% financing 60 months. I'm kind of leaning toward the John Deere because about everything on it is mechanical and not a whole lot of electronic stuff and a little more H.P. and just a little bit heavier. I have always had an used tractor and just tried of working on it every year. I have never had a front end loader but everybody tells me if I buy a new one get it. What do you think?
Deere.... That extra HP will come in handy, trust me...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm an X John Deere fan. I had 2 JD tractors that I purchased new. They both spent more time getting repaired than working. These were both 4x4 Diesels in the 40 HP range. They were not well built and JD's service/warranty was terrible. Switched to Mahindra and am now very pleased. Build like a tank and designed to actually work! After my dealings with JD I will never(!) purchase anything painted JD Green.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I can’t add a lot more to the solid advice you’ve been given. I will add that mass matters more than HP, and useable low end power is more important than higher peak HP. I would always err on getting a size or two bigger than you think you’ll need. FEL and FWD are mandatory IMO. I work 17 acres of plots and numerous chores on 200 acres of hardwoods. I started with a 54HP open cab MF and have since added a larger cabbed tractor with a third remote to run a grapple. I’d have saved $ in the long run if I’d followed sage advice early on. I didn’t go orange or green because of price and distance to the dealer. I looked real hard at orange when I upgraded but wanted a much heavier tractor than Kubota offered. Ended up with a MF 4707. I looked hard at older used tractors and around here, the prices are so high, I felt compelled to go new.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I can’t add a lot more to the solid advice you’ve been given. I will add that mass matters more than HP, and useable low end power is more important than higher peak HP. I would always err on getting a size or two bigger than you think you’ll need. FEL and FWD are mandatory IMO. I work 17 acres of plots and numerous chores on 200 acres of hardwoods. I started with a 54HP open cab MF and have since added a larger cabbed tractor with a third remote to run a grapple. I’d have saved $ in the long run if I’d followed sage advice early on. I didn’t go orange or green because of price and distance to the dealer. I looked real hard at orange when I upgraded but wanted a much heavier tractor than Kubota offered. Ended up with a MF 4707. I looked hard at older used tractors and around here, the prices are so high, I felt compelled to go new.

Right on the money, and your current rig is another few frame sizes larger and likely an 8,000 pound tractor. Mass does matter.

My 4520 at 60hp has more power than I can use as it’s about 5k with FEL. I will be adding rear weights, etc.

Size to me is important, would love a 4707 like you have but would struggle to use it in my tucked away woods foodplots.

If OP goes with FEL, watch the cheap JD’s as they don’t always have removable FEL’s. Kubota always does, a nice plus.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stevevan1
I'm an X John Deere fan. I had 2 JD tractors that I purchased new. They both spent more time getting repaired than working. These were both 4x4 Diesels in the 40 HP range. They were not well built and JD's service/warranty was terrible. Switched to Mahindra and am now very pleased. Build like a tank and designed to actually work! After my dealings with JD I will never(!) purchase anything painted JD Green.

Mahindra's the world's largest maker of small tractors. They have a world wide reputation for being reliable. They're getting a pretty good lineup of dealers in the US now, too. They've been in production for 60 years and they have several plants in the US. They started as a joint venture with IH.

On a related note - have you ever wondered why Jeep never made a CJ4? They did but they never put it in production in the US. Instead, they sold the rights to Mahindra and they made hundreds of thousands of them, named the Mahindra Jeep. Then Jeep came out with the CJ5.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
C
Tx270 a group of us are coming down to Colorado from Michigan for 3rd Season Mule deer in zones 80-81...we saw a old post of yours from this site about those zones? Any more recent info on the area? I Just joined this forum so it wouldn’t let me PM you...Thanks Andrew

M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well I bought the John Deere 3043D. Really like the controls set up. No buttons to push or turn everything has a mechanical lever. A little heaver machine and little more horse power. Dealer is 30 miles away. Talk to the service manger and he was really helpful. Answered all my questions and gave some good tips on maintaining it. This is the first new tractor I have owned so I ask him about the regeneration system and he said the key to it is not to idle the tractor like the old ones. He said if you keep the rpm’s above 1600 you will not have any problems. I’m really impressed with the power as I did some box blade and bucket work with it. I thought I was going notice a lot of difference in power from my old ford 3600 but it surprised me. Don’t know if my old 3600 was just that wore out but this one seems to have more power. Time will tell but I’m happy with right now.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
MLC- Which dealership are you using?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on your new tractor!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson
New tractors suck.

^^^^This^^^^

I am sticking with my two 40 year old Deere's....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by kenacp
MLC- Which dealership are you using?

Sunsouth

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When in doubt, go green.

Black Cows Matter!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,957
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.